Profile for lorri_s > Reviews

"lorri_s"

Rival PP15 Pink Popcorn Popper
Rival PP15 Pink Popcorn Popper

4.0 out of 5 stars mmm... popcorn...., 9 Dec. 2005
This makes yummy popcorn (especially fab if you have a massive screen to watch films on at home, so you really feel like you're in the cinema), and it's far less expensive to buying microwave in a bag popcorn, which was my previous option... however like other reviewers have said has a minor tendancy to spill some pieces everywhere.
In order to take it up to five stars - here's how I would improve it:
1) make it less silly looking - you just can't leave this on your worktop (unless you have a very bright kitchen) which means that you have to store it somewhere...
2) improve the system for putting it in a bowl.
3) give us some recipe ideas for different things to put on the popcorn - there was a golden syrup one, but beyond that or salt or sugar I get stuck - anyone with any ideas?
basically - it could have been worth buying the more expensive version (that isnt bright pink and looks like it has a better funnel on it) but for an inexpensive alternative to buying shop made or microwavable popcorn its fantastic. A healthy snack (until like me you pour a load of salt and butter over it)
It's great value for money. Go for it. you know that you want to! (or you probably wouldn't be reading the reviews!)

20Q
20Q
Offered by EuropaDepot

4.0 out of 5 stars surprisingly accurate!, 9 Dec. 2005
This review is from: 20Q (Toy)
I didn't rate this highly on educational value (you have to know the answers to the questions to begin with - so it wouldn't teach your kids anything new) but other than that its a pretty fab toy.
it's more accuarate than you'd imagine - which leads to lots of people sitting round trying to beat the game with more and more bizarre objects (my office came up with binding machine - but I guess that is a bit unfair on it) it did manage holepunch..
it can be difficult to read the screen - so if you have poor eyesight buy the bigger tabletop version I guess.
I dont know how durable it is - we haven't had it long, but it hasn't broken yet - I wouldnt suggest that you drop kick it though!
The novelty factor of this game will wear off in the end, but until then it is good fun.. and there's always a new member of the family that wants a go!

Russell Hobbs 10228 Cookie Maker (White)
Russell Hobbs 10228 Cookie Maker (White)

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth buying one - especially if you make a lot of cookies!, 9 Dec. 2005
This is definately worth buying - its much quicker to use that our previous method of cookie shaping (we didnt have a cutter or anything, so basically made round balls and squashed them!) and can create a wide variety of shapes (some that i like more than others - I had a go with most of them last night in my giant cookie making marathon! I especially like the festive christmas tree one. I love the icing thingys too - very useful.
There are however some issues that I have with it (why I didnt give it 5 stars) It can be quite difficult to get the cookie dough in the tube to begin with - of course squashing it down to try to fit more in just makes it squish out the other end - so it can take a while - although it gets quicker as you get more practiced and develop your own method... This also makes a bit of a mess and you end up with cookie dough all over your hands and can't screw it together easily! You also have to get your timing pretty spot on if you want similar looking cookies that arent too small or oddly shaped. (I perfected a [fast] one-and-a-two-and-a-three-and-a-four-and timing system that once you get the beat in your head works really well - the second batch you do will therefore be better as you are more practiced)
Overall fantastic (my small problems with it I am sure will diminish with time and practice) great shaped cookies with the novelty technology factor that meant even my brother helped me!
I didnt try the cookie recipe that was in it though, so no ideas about that..

Return Of The Timewaster Letters
Return Of The Timewaster Letters
by Robin Cooper

2.0 out of 5 stars quite disappointing really..., 9 Dec. 2005
I actually bought this book as a present for someone else but ended up reading it before I gave it to them (mainly due to curiosity really) but I wish I didn't! I then went out and bought them a different present and got left with a book that I don't really want! I expected this book to be childish when I bought it - but alas it also seems to be lacking in imagination. There are too many 'I want you to buy this product or allow me to display your logo - here are my rubbish drawings. I had high hopes for this book but it just didnt fit with my sense of humour... that could make me a strange, humourless shell - or could just meant that you should look elsewhere for your giggles.
Worth buying if you want fire kindling. Or if you're reaaaaally bored.