Profile for Joy Kluver > Reviews

Content by Joy Kluver

Joy Kluver "joy1970" (London, U.K.)

Page: 1 | 2
Dragon Lake
Dragon Lake

5.0 out of 5 stars Not nearly long enough!, 22 Oct 2014
This review is from: Dragon Lake (Kindle Edition)
What?! That's it?! No, no, no! There is so much more to this story and I demand that Mark Anderson Smith writes it!

The Great Scottish Land Grab Book 3
The Great Scottish Land Grab Book 3

5.0 out of 5 stars In the land of fiction, independence is real., 19 Sep 2014
In the real world, Scotland has said no. But in the land of fiction, the Scots have gone one step further and have voted for a land grab as well as independence. Robert Castle intends to fulfil his promise to the Scottish nation, no matter what the cost. Yet again, Mark Anderson Smith has made the improbable believable. Indeed, after reading this, I thought independence would happen! Alex Salmond may have gone but there may be a real Robert Castle out there. Watch out Westminster - according to Mark Anderson Smith, it ain't over yet!

The Great Scottish Land Grab Book 2
The Great Scottish Land Grab Book 2

5.0 out of 5 stars I think there is discontent generally with political life across all of Great Britain and the idea of another way is very ..., 1 Sep 2014
The first book left me intrigued - the second one has left me excited! Mark Anderson Smith has set up a scenario that seems totally implausible but he manages to make it wholly believable. I think there is discontent generally with political life across all of Great Britain and the idea of another way is very attractive. I love the concept of voting for new policies with your mobile phone just as you would for your X Factor favourite! Really looking forward to book three!

The Great Scottish Land Grab Book 1
The Great Scottish Land Grab Book 1

4.0 out of 5 stars Even though I'm way down South (albeit a little bit Scottish thanks to my great great great grandfather who came from Aberdeen), 1 Sep 2014
Initially, I thought this book was going to be a thriller as the main character, Robert Castle, found himself threatened with a gun. However, the book took a very different turn and is more of a political novel in line with the current independence referendum in Scotland. Even though I'm way down South (albeit a little bit Scottish thanks to my great great great grandfather who came from Aberdeen), I found the book intriguing and was fascinated by the concept of who actually owns Scotland's land. The unexpected ending was a great twist and nicely sets up the reader for book two.

Secrets of the Sea House
Secrets of the Sea House

5.0 out of 5 stars More than just a holiday read!, 5 July 2014
Others have described the story well, so I won't elaborate further on that. This book had me gripped, even reading it in the middle of the night! The writing is exquisite and although I have never visited the Hebrides, the incredible descriptions transported me there. The three points of view have clear and distinct voices and they all interested me. If this is a debut novel then I can only imagine what other delights Elisabeth Gifford has in store for us.

The Aftermath
The Aftermath

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully written novel, 12 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Aftermath (Kindle Edition)
'Outside, there was balm in the scene: the skies had cleared of yesterday's slate-grey snowclouds and were as blue and clean as a senior ward sister's tunic. The low-angled sun made everything sparkle, while the thickness of the snow was felty and reassuring and as white and bobbly as hospital linen. It was beautiful, but frustrating. It would give the minister a false impression. On such a day as this, a visitor who had just arrived might be forgiven for thinking that Hamburg was making a startling recovery. The snow disguised the trauma by throwing an equalizing blanket over everything, giving jagged metal and broken brick a new hopeful covering. It was a bad day to conduct a tour that was meant to show how ugly and grey life was amidst the German ruins.'

As I'm married to a half-German, I've often heard of the destruction of German cities during the war. But we were bombed too, I hear you cry. And this is why this book is so utterly amazing. It brings together the conflicting experiences and emotions from both sides of the war. Both families have suffered, both have experienced grief but forgiveness, like a small thread, slowly starts to weave it's way through the story until a full tapestry is revealed at the end. The thing though that really sets this novel apart from others is the element of truth that it is based on. Without the true life story of Rhidian Brook's grandfather, The Aftermath just wouldn't work. We would consider it glib. The authenticity of the premise gives the story its power and with it, hope.

Beware of Men with Moustaches
Beware of Men with Moustaches

5.0 out of 5 stars Beware of laughing out loud whilst reading!, 8 April 2013
Aside from Spike Milligan and possibly Pam Ayres, we don't really think that poetry is funny. So a book about four British poets travelling abroad isn't going to be a laugh a minute, is it? But Beware of Men with Moustaches is hilarious! Wonderful characters, cultural misunderstandings and a serious thread weave together to make this a book you can't put down!

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Wish I hadn't bothered, 3 Dec 2012
I thought this might be a good watch for my son but I'm really not impressed. The gift box it arrived in was cracked, the light doesn't work which might mean a new battery straight way and there was no invoice. The product has come from Hong Kong and I really don't want to have to pay return postage costs. Cheaper doesn't always mean better.

Fridge file family organiser - purple
Fridge file family organiser - purple

3.0 out of 5 stars Good idea but..., 12 Sep 2011
I'd seen this advertised somewhere else at almost double the price so was glad to get it cheaper. Delivery was fast as well. However, this is a great concept and I looked forward to finally being organised instead of having lots of bits of paper stuck all over my fridge when... it fell off the fridge. It only had a few bits of paper in it so I don't think it was that heavy. Will have to try superglue to stick the magnets onto the back and hopefully that will work!

Dancing On Ice with Torvill & Dean  [DVD] [2006]
Dancing On Ice with Torvill & Dean [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Phillip Schofield
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the Dancing on Ice I was expecting!, 6 April 2006
My 2 small children are besotted with DOI and they pester me daily to watch the clips on the internet. So I thought getting the DVD would be a good idea. Unfortunately it's not what I was expecting.
The DVD tells the story of the programme with commentary by Torvill & Dean and some backstage footage. They focus in costumes, falling over and on certain celebrities such as Kelly & David and the skate-off between John & Stefan. For some unknown reason the music played for Stefan in that particular skate-off is different to what he actually skated to. My 4 year old son spotted that it was a different version of Viva Las Vegas as well. These may seem like small things but they're enough to niggle.
There aren't enough of the performances on this DVD for my liking although it is great to finally see Bonnie's Bolero. Fire and Ice is ok but I would rather have had 50 minutes more of performances from Dancing on Ice.
So will my children stop pestering me to watch DOI online? Well as I've been writing this, my 2 year old came in and said 'Dance ice' so I think the website is going to be on my Favourites list for a while longer!

Page: 1 | 2