Profile for Robert P > Reviews

Poetic Slimline Case for Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition Tablet - White
Offered by Smart Shop Online
Price: 30.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 July 2014
Well pleased with this. Works perfectly

Manfrotto Compact Stand
Manfrotto Compact Stand
Price: 69.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, 12 April 2014
Good piece of kit and easily assembled. Folds flat, but quite long even then (90cm), so it won't strap to a backpack :)

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1-inch Tablet (White) - (Quad Core 1.9GHz Processor, 3GB RAM, 16GB Storage, WLAN, BT, 2x Camera, Android 4.1 Jelly Bean) (New Edition for 2014)
Offered by Luzern
Price: 432.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 6 Dec 2013
This is probably one of the best bits of kit I have ever bought. I had been using my Galaxy4 a lot for email, browsing etc, but this takes it all to a new level and I'm spending a lot less time in front of my desktop. Even when I need stuff on the desktop, I just load Teamviewer and log onto it directly from the tablet and transfer files if I need to.
The pen is good and handwriting recognition is quite accurate, but rather than writing with it, I use it with Swype.
Thoroughly recommend it. The price is quite high but I can see that I'm going to get my money's worth, just because it is so useful.

The Adobe Photoshop Book for Digital Photographers (covers Photoshop CS6 and Photoshop CC) (Voices That Matter)
by Scott Kelby
Price: 27.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 1 Dec 2013
I've had loads of PS books, but this one is perhaps the most enjoyable, and most useful of them all.
Highly recommend it!

For Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 N8000 N8010 Tablet Premium Luxury Synthetic Leather Flip Folding Folio Standby Slim Cover Back Case Stand Wallet Skin Protector Ultra thin / Multi Angle Position White

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and brilliant, 9 Aug 2013
A great wee cover. Not bulky like so many and the stand is so versatile. Good for the money, even including the high postage charge

Transcend TS32GCF1000 32GB Ultimate CompactFlash Memory Card
Transcend TS32GCF1000 32GB Ultimate CompactFlash Memory Card
Price: 59.46

1.0 out of 5 stars Read and Write overstated as usual, 22 Mar 2013
On the box it clearly states 160 MB/s Read and 120 MB/s Write. This is total rubbish, but unfortunately the norm for the industry.

My test using a USB3 connection gives a read speed of 94.3 MB/s and a write speed of 60.7 MB/s. It's the same old "up to" qualification which goes into the small print. It's time the OFT looked at this, but then they would just fudge it by just using the 1000x description.

Still, it's faster than the cards I already have, but at this price it's just as well or it would be on its way back.

Kaavie CR-12A/DC0 Shutter Release Cable for Nikon D800/D800E/D700/D300s/D300/D200/D3/D2/F5/Kodak Fuji/10 Pin System
Offered by UK Highland Photography
Price: 5.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Bargain, 15 Mar 2013
Very pleased with it, and it does the job. I won't be using it every day, so why spend a fortune on the original Nikon gear?

Windows 8 Pro, Upgrade Edition [Upgrade from Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7] (PC)
Offered by SoftwareDirect2u
Price: 139.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Irritating, 10 Nov 2012
Installed on a laptop without a touch screen, and I have to say that it is the most irritating piece of software I have ever used. Using it as a normal PC in the normal programs it is fine, but no improvement on Windows 7.

Using it in the so-called apps is a nightmare, and I am unwilling to open any of them. Every app opens in full screen, and there is no way to minimise or reduce in size - that's bad enough on a laptop, but there is no way I am going to put it on my desktop with large screen.

The apps themselves are just garbage. I have killed the Skype app and installed the PC version. The Kindle app is a nightmare which won't let you add local books from the hard drive.

All in all, I am very displeased with it, and won't be putting it on my other machines.

Microsoft's biggest mistake! Here's hoping they put back the Start button in SP1.

InDesign CS6: Visual Quickstart Guide (Visual QuickStart Guides)
InDesign CS6: Visual Quickstart Guide (Visual QuickStart Guides)
by Sandee Cohen
Price: 18.39

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK, 23 Oct 2012
It's the first Visual Quickstart Book I have used. Although it is helpful, it's not really my style of book - I prefer a book that tells you the why as well as the how.

The book is what it says it is - visual - and I think that it would be almost as useful to just go through every single menu item and ask "what does this do?" because that is more or less what the book does for you. I have learned a few things from it, so it's not a total waste of money, and the fact that you get a Kindle version for free has its merits. I think that in the future I'll stick to buying books that I can sit down and read, though.

The 24th Letter (Sean O'Brien)
The 24th Letter (Sean O'Brien)
Price: 1.91

1.0 out of 5 stars Contrived, 12 Oct 2012
So contrived it's painful! Only the baddies swear, for instance, and the characters are such a mishmash of incidentals needed to fit the plot that you lose track. Needless to say, the hero has everything - such a special man. The end was predictable, even to the lightning storm.

Over-priced at free.