Profile for Kellington > Reviews

One Day
One Day
by David Nicholls

1.0 out of 5 stars Massive PR budget creates bestseller??, 14 Jun. 2012
This review is from: One Day (Paperback)
Like a lot of reviewers, I can't see why One Day has received the adulation is been given.

Absolutely loved The Understudy and was so giddy to think I'd finally found another author to bosh through the back catalogue of inducing a warm feeling all over. One Day's a limp biscuit of an offering.

Emma and Dexter are so unlikeable that if they were actual people you'd probably want to bang their head's together to stop them from talking their self-indulgent, banal tosh. Don't get me wrong, I like a book every now and then who has characters who are detestable, it's more like real life - but novels of that nature usually have the back bone of a beautifully written, engaging story. Oh my Lord, this book does not have it. I mean come on - you're spanning two people's lifetimes - surely there's something notable worth saying??!!

Getting through this book was such a slog, only sheer stubbornness got me through to the last page, and if I'm honest, I won't even donate it to the charity shop because I wouldn't want to rob someone else of precious time in their life that could be spent reading something better.

Harsh is it may be, I really think the amount of 5* reviews can only be attributed to people who don't read a great deal and like to engage limited imagination and have a taste for bland story telling.

Shame on you Mr Nicholls - this book wasn't worth calling in favours with your industry mates for the sparkling celebrity reviews. Reading them again after the novel, all I can assume is that you were picking up the bar bill when you asked them.

Torchwood: Trace Memory
Torchwood: Trace Memory
by David Llewellyn

2.0 out of 5 stars Trace of story more like, 25 Feb. 2011
I was really surprised all the other reviews were so kind to Trace Memory.

Based around Michael's character jumping around through time, I bet you're thinking 'oh aye, this sounds interesting, time travel and the like'. It's really not that exciting.

Take out all the dodgy flashbacks explaining where the Torchwood crew have met Michael before - which are quite haphazardly shoe-horned in and not really particularly relevant in any way other than letting the other characters show their faces, and there's not a great deal of story that lays behind it. All the components are there, but the pace isn't. Mix that with the cliche that as Michael has met Jack, he inevitably turns out to be a latent homosexual which, once out in the open, completely changes his dialogue to that of a Mills & Boon style damsel. Maybe a mad ditch to try a get some extra story in there?

To be honest, with the whole of time and space, as many universes as you can think of plus a cast of already strong characters waiting to be used, this crawls on it's belly over the finish line.

Actually that's probably a bit unfair, the story does get going, but then just as you think it's all going to kick off, your at the acknowledgments page.

Cadbury's Novelty Cookbook
Cadbury's Novelty Cookbook
by Patricia Dunbar

5.0 out of 5 stars Old skool baking fun, 10 Mar. 2009
Simply does it. Forget all the fancy Nigella, Jamie and Gordon coffee table books, this is how you make something lovely and not pumped full of tut for every kids' party and grown occasion alike.

Masses and masses of chocolate fun!

Singled Out:
Singled Out:
by Virginia Nicholson

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes me think we should be grateful for the opportunities we have, 10 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Singled Out: (Paperback)
Admittedly I dipped in and out of the this book for a good 6 months before I got all the way through, very nicely written I took my time as I wanted to appreciate a book on such a fascinating subject.

Rather than specifically focussing on the post WW1 landscape jumping from one case study to another, the background information (though marginal) of suffragette movements before and after the war helped put the implications of such a horrific massacre of men, and the developing role of women into perspective.

Safe to say it's not hard to take inspiration away with you after reading Singled Out. I would definitely recommend it to my girl friends and really to any woman I hear mutter 'Oooo, sorry it's my hormones'. Seriously, we don't appreciate how well we have life.

The Time Traveler's Wife (Vintage Magic)
The Time Traveler's Wife (Vintage Magic)
by Audrey Niffenegger

5.0 out of 5 stars Haven't they been there before?, 22 Mar. 2006
A real tender and heartwarming book about true love, don't pick it up if you're looking for something you won't have to think about.
Yes it can seem a bit epic at time and yes you do have to think back and flick back to double check dates sometimes, but what you're left with is a rare account of true love across a single person's life span. How rare is that? With such a poignant ending it's refreshing to see a book that manages to treat bitter/sweetness with such respect.