Profile for Jo Public > Reviews

Content by Jo Public

Jo Public (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Mini USB Bluetooth Converter for Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP, Vista & Windows 7 Enabled Laptops or PCs
Offered by bondwarehouse

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work with Windows 7 :((, 5 Jan 2014
This does not seem to be "plug and play" on Windows 7. It can't find the drivers and I am unable to find them anywhere online. Shows as "Unknown device" and says it has not installed correctly. Having now (too late) searched extensively online, I find this is a common problem. You really need a bluetooth adapter with drivers supplied. It took 3 weeks to arrive and was very cheap. I guess you get what you pay for and it is not worth returning in my opinion. If I was buying another I would do more research and find one with drivers included. I am disappointed but have learnt a lesson on cheapies! I really should know better :/

52 Vintage CROCHET PATTERNS
52 Vintage CROCHET PATTERNS

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull and dated, 31 May 2011
I downloaded this ebook as an experiment with a crochet ebook. Whilst the patterns may be "vintage", this is not in a good way - I would guess the vintage is 1970s. They are dull and mainly ugly. A few of the photos are in colour (viewed on Kindle for PC) but most of them are tiny little blurred shots that don't show the item clearly. This can only be worse on a Kindle Ebook Reader. One pattern is for a "Circle Fridgie" fridge magnet (one of 6 "fridgie" patterns!). Not sure that I'd call that "vintage". This book is every bit as bad as you might suspect. I would say don't bother for the content of this book, there is not one item I would crochet and there are many far nicer patterns available free online (although just about pattern would be nicer thatn these. Yuk, yuk, yuk and yuk again.

The Promise
The Promise

4.0 out of 5 stars Varied, 15 Nov 2010
This review is from: The Promise (Audio CD)
I would definitely say that this is an album for Bruce fans. I'm not so sure that it would have general appeal to either younger listeners or those new to Springsteen. I think it certainly has an aged (or possibly 1970s) feel and it covers all sorts of styles. This makes it a bit of a mish-mash I think, although as an album, it flows. A few of the tracks are a bit twee such as "Someday (we'll be together)" which bizarrely I thought sounded like Andy Williams. I felt this is mostly an easy-listening kind of album and interesting as a record of Springsteen's "missing" work and as such is worth 4 stars.

Some really great sleeve notes come with the audio CD and of course the lyrics. A fab extra track not listed on the jacket is on the second half of the final track of disc 2.

If Your Memory Serves You Well [Australian Import]
If Your Memory Serves You Well [Australian Import]

4.0 out of 5 stars Agreeable and accomplished, 29 Oct 2010
I love Serena's raw, natural voice and the stripped-down sound. I would call it more blues/country I think. This is her second album, made when she was 23 and is a collection of well known Canadian songs from the past. Serena is Canadian and is celebrating these songs. There is Leonard Cohen's "Sisters of Mercy", Galt MacDermot's "Good Morning Starshine" , The Band's "This Wheel's on Fire" and Paul Anka's "It Doesn't Matter Any More." The album has gone Gold in Canada. I don't understand the criticism in some reviews as if you wanted to hear the original then you could buy that. These are a fresh take on the old songs and I think they work very well. Perhaps I'm not old enough to remember the originals that well but I loved these.

There are two tracks written by Serena Ryder and I really like these, particularly "Weak at the Knees" which is accomplished and memorable. If you think you may be interested then check out Serena Ryder's cover of Bruce Springsteen's "Racing in the Street" on YouTube which is an acoustic version that is absolutely brilliant and was featured on Springsteen's website last year. It certainly gives you a flavour of the artist.

Microsoft® Office Word 2007 Plain & Simple
Microsoft® Office Word 2007 Plain & Simple
by Marianne Moon

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful, 31 July 2009
I don't much care for Office Word 2007 as now I can't spot how to do things I could do before because it is so counter-intuitive. I found using this book quicker than using the 'Help' function in Office. It has a comprehensive index which is essential to quickly find the info you're after and plenty of screen shots. I would recommend this if you feel impatient and frustrated with Word 2007 and the ghastly, clumsy, new 'ribbons'.

Georello Gear Tech
Georello Gear Tech

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets the grey-matter working, 11 May 2009
This review is from: Georello Gear Tech (Toy)
I bought this for a 6-year old boy who loves it. It is a very good value set of 270 pieces that fit together in endless different ways. Just the sort of thing that most boys would love to play with for hours and ideal for any budding engineer. It comes in nice bright colours, seems durable and comes with plenty of construction ideas. It is good for experimentation with the pieces that often bring unexpected and surprising results. A good way to learn basic mechanical principles without realising. I think this is quite a novel toy and educational in a fun and subtle way.

Great Gizmos ZoobDude - Fireman
Great Gizmos ZoobDude - Fireman

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, 11 May 2009
I bought this zoob fireman for a 6-year old and it was a great hit. I think the squirting water hose was of particular appeal and when made up the zoobdude was straight in the bath for a test squirt! I don't think this pack of zoobs, with just 19 pieces is terribly good value compared with the larger sets but it does have two heads and a hat piece that the bigger boxes don't seem to contain. It is made of durable-looking plastic and the figure is nice and big when made(approx. 25cm). There are lots of construction possibilities and this could complement a larger set nicely. It is a really different construction toy from others available at the moment and definitely has novelty value.

Great Gizmos Zoob 75
Great Gizmos Zoob 75

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 11 May 2009
This review is from: Great Gizmos Zoob 75 (Toy)
I bought these for a 6-year old who loves them. They are well packaged and made of bright, light-weight, durable-looking plastic although I (an adult) found them a little stiff to clip together until acquiring a knack. There are lots of building ideas and the models are a good size when complete so quite satisfying. There are endless possibilites for construction with the 75 pieces in this box and I think it will be used for several years before being outgrown. I think they are reasonable value for money and an interesting new addition to the choice of construction toys on the market.

100 Flowers to Knit and Crochet
100 Flowers to Knit and Crochet
by Lesley Stanfield

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 11 May 2009
The previous reviews say most of what there is to say but after trying several of the patterns (7 knitted and 6 crochet) I have found some mistakes in the instructions. It is possible to work through these with the help of the photos but is a little disappointing. I also felt that more detail would be helpful on the making up instructions of some of the designs, perhaps with a diagram or photo. I can see that this wasn't done to keep the instructions for each design to one page and the layout clear and concise. Overall this is a lovely book with good photos and is really inspirational.

Consequences
Consequences
by Penelope Lively

2.0 out of 5 stars Repetitious and pointless, 5 May 2009
This review is from: Consequences (Paperback)
This is the first (and now last) Penelope Lively novel I have read. I found just as the story finally gets going the main characters are killed off. These are replaced with another one who also dies and then with a third (who is really boring). The book just doesn't flow in my opinion, it jumps from one bit to the next, it is disjointed and disappointing with several boring bits that nearly stopped me completing it. There are some potentially interesting characters (e.g. Lucas or Simon) but they are never developed. For me this didn't have a beginning, a middle and an end, more a beginning, a muddle and an end.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4