Profile for amazon woman > Reviews

amazon woman

Is Your Love Big Enough?
Is Your Love Big Enough?

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointing after recommendations, 30 Sep 2013
A friend saw Lianne La Haves at Rock en Seine and was very impressed by her.
When I bought Michael Kiwanuka's 'Home Again', Amazon said I would also like Lianne La Havas, so I bought her album.
Well, there is absolutely no comparison. Michael K is talented and original. Lianne LH is mediocre and sounds similar to many other female vocalists. The only characteristics they seem to have in common are being black, young and living in the UK.
Still, she was better than Laura Mvula (same two recommendations as above). I bought her album at the same time, based on the same two pieces of advice. It was so poor that I gave it to the friend who had recommended her.
At least I kept the Lianne La Havas album, as I could actually bear to listen to it again.
So, I won't in future be following the musical advice of either my friend or Amazon.
I will, however, be following the advice of my brother-in-law, who recommended Michael Kiwanuka.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 6, 2014 3:39 PM GMT

Illywhacker (Faber Library)
Illywhacker (Faber Library)

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed after Oscar and Lucinda, 30 Sep 2013
I loved Oscar and Lucinda and immediately bought all his other novels. This was the second I read after O&L, although it's an earlier novel. His first, I beleive. I started by loving this one, However, I doubt I would have read any more Pater Carey, had I read this novel first. There were really three books within the book and I got a little disheartened after the first one with the plane, which was promising. By the time it got to the mad daughter-in-law and people living in cages, I was looking forward to the end. (Make it stop!!!!). I now have several more more Peter Careys on my Kindle that I have to read. I'm not looking forward to it and really hope that the others come up to my earlier expectations.. I'll give them a try.

Home Again
Home Again

5.0 out of 5 stars a promising young British talent, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: Home Again (Audio CD)
This young man has a beautiful voice and musicality beyond his years. The accompanying musicians blend very well with his voice and the production of this album is outstanding. I'll be looking out for more albumsa - regret I've not yet seen him live but hope he will be out here singing in the UK in the coming year.

Omron Walking Style III Pedometer - Purple
Omron Walking Style III Pedometer - Purple

5.0 out of 5 stars what a great motivator!, 25 Mar 2013
In my early sixties, I have recently given up cross-country running but I wanted to make sure I was still doing a healthy amount of exercise. That is 10,000 walking steps a day on average. This little gadget sits by my computer and I feel compelled to take it for a walk every day. You can look back over the previous 7 days (using the left-hand button), to see whether you need to make up steps by the end of the week. I personally enter my count into a simple chart each day and average them over the week. The step count is extremely accurate, and if you get your step length right, the estimated number of kilometres is also very good. Obviously, if you break into a run, your steps are longer, so you are covering more distance, but it gives you a rough idea. A nice feature is translation into kilometres, as well as the little figure which congratulates you when you hit 10,000 in the day. On the plus side (again), you can wear it anywhere - just clip it onto a scarf or t-shirt and off you go!
One small point - I recommended it to a friend who bought one for his mum, in her late 70s, but her vision is not too great. She had it on the wrong setting (Kilocalories rather than steps, I think) and she thought it wasn't recording correctly. The mode (steps, km,kcal, g) is shown in very small font. This was easily remedied by showing her how to depress the right-hand button to go into different modes and now she's very happy with it.
This pedometer has been one of my best purchases in my efforts to try and stay healthy in reitrement. I recommend this whole-heartedly to anyone wishing to increase or maintain their walking levels, in order to keep healthy or lose weight. It is more sophisticated than cheaper perdometers, and well worth the extra few quid from your penson! Apparenly, it also works for people under 60 :-)

fine-toned® -EXERCISE ,GYM,YOGA BALL 65cm+PUMP-ANTI-BURST + EXERCISE INSTRUCTIONS -strong / anti slip -NEW!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars very satisfied so far, 25 Mar 2013
The item arrived promptly, was well packaged and exactly as described online. Unlike some other products advertised, it included a nice little pump (good exercise in itself) and two (yes, two) plugs to insert once it was inflated. Read the linflation instructions (you shouldn't pump them up to capacity first time). Sophisticated silvery-grey colour replaces a blue one which split recently. I'm hoping this one doesn't do the same. Also worth mentioning that the surface is more shiny than my previous ball, which had a textured effect. This does not seem to influence how well it rolls around/sticks during exercise. Some simple exercises are included - amazingly, there are more for English people than French or German-speakers. We must need more exercise, I guess.:-) All in all, very satisfied so far.