Profile for Mr. D. N. Sumption > Reviews

Content by Mr. D. N. Sumption

Mr. D. N. Sumption (Sheffield, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Wilton Cookie Pro Ultra II Cookie Press
Wilton Cookie Pro Ultra II Cookie Press

2.0 out of 5 stars Relegated to the back of the cupboard, 22 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an interesting idea, and I was really keen to try it. It does make the process of making regular-shaped cookies a little easier, but overall I think the downsides mean that it's one of those gadgets which seems a nice idea, but is destined to be used once and then relegated to the back of the cupboard.

Firstly, using it is a bit of a strain (though this obviously depends on the density of your cookie dough). As is taking it apart after using it - my (adult) daughter was completely unable to do this, as the end got stuck on, and it took the two of us quite some time and effort to get it off. Then, of course, you have to clean it - a bit fiddly. And the end result? A bit neater and more regular than hand-made cookies, but again this varies with your oven and how much the cookies rise - we found that, even though the cookies looked nice and neat going in, they were still heterogeneous blobs when they came out.

All in all, fun to try, but I can't see myself using it often.

A Brief History of Everyone who Ever Lived: The Stories in Our Genes
A Brief History of Everyone who Ever Lived: The Stories in Our Genes
by Adam Rutherford

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating Overview, 21 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Adam Rutherford takes us on an entertaining and informative story of the "epic poem in your cells", from our murky origins among the great apes, via the introduction of agriculture and our genetic adaptation to diets of milk and gluten, through our relationship to great kings and queens (interestingly Europeans only need to go back a maximum of 600 years to find shared ancestry, which means that we are all descendents of Charlemagne), to modern day concerns about health and the future of evolution. I found the writing style occasionally annoying - in particular there were a number half-jokes and cultural memes which didn't add anything to the text but, for me at least, were a distraction (Rutherford uses the phrase "so it goes" more than any author other than Kurt Vonnegut, seemingly once for every primate that preceded us in laying this gene trail). But, all the same, I devoured the book keenly and, despite having already had a passing knowledge of the subject matter, I learned a lot (unsurprising as almost all of the relevant findings in this field spring from research done in the last 15 years - research that is now so fast-moving that, at times, I got the feeling that my proof copy of this book would already be partially out-of-date).

Command 17065CLR-VPES Medium Wire Toggle Hook Value Pack  - Clear
Command 17065CLR-VPES Medium Wire Toggle Hook Value Pack - Clear

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy product, but limited in application, 18 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are rather handy hooks which, like 3M's other Command products, do a good job of letting you hang things from walls with the minimum of fuss. To hang them up, you have to clean the surface with rubbing alcohol (not supplied), press the strip firmly for 30 seconds, press the hook on firmly for another 30 seconds, and then leave an hour to set before hanging any weight off them.

In practice, I found the restrictions meant I couldn't use these hooks for some of the purposes I'd hoped to: the instructions say that you must NOT use them on wallpaper or textured surfaces, or over beds, and you must not use them for hanging framed pictures (there goes my number one use case). This leaves you to hang small utensils, tea-towels and suchlike - provided you have a smooth, clean surface to attach them to.

One other thing: in Amazon's Product Description is wrong: it says that this pack contains 2 hooks and 3 medium clear strips. It doesn't, it contains 6 hooks and 8 strips (as correctly detailed in Amazon's Technical Details for this product). It also says that each hook holds 450g, but the packet states that they can hold 900g (or 2lb), although given the other limitations on the product, I'm not sure how comfortable I would be hanging something of this weight.

Amargo Chuncho Bitters
Amargo Chuncho Bitters
Offered by Ponto Brasil & Latino

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Pisco Sour, and more, 18 July 2016
This review is from: Amargo Chuncho Bitters (Wine)
Before buying these bitters, I had only used Agnostura's standard + orange bitters. I was surprised how much different just a couple of drops of Amargo Chungo Bitters can make to a drink - a little more exotic than Agnostura, and perfect for a Pisco Sour cocktail and for other drinks of Central and South American origin. This has become a favourite for experimenting with in new cocktail mixes, particularly ones containing pisco, tequilia or cachaca.

AmazonBasics Commercial Grade Garment Rack, Chrome
AmazonBasics Commercial Grade Garment Rack, Chrome

4.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy and well-made, 14 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was sent this item for free in return for a fair review. Currently Amazon have it listed as "unavailable", which means that I cannot see how much they charge for one, and as a result it is very hard for me to give a fair star-rating, as a major consideration would be: is it good value for money.

That said, it *is* a good clothes rail. I have previously used cheap domestic equivalents, and this is more sturdy by far. It arrives flat-packed, and is relatively easy to piece together, and once up it stays up, and rigid, even when heavily loaded with clothes. The height is adjustable, and it comes with wheels so it is easy to move (again, even when heavily loaded). I have passed mine on to my daughter, who is a fashion design student, and she is very happy with it.

Heathcote & Ivory Blush Rose Hand Wash 300 ml
Heathcote & Ivory Blush Rose Hand Wash 300 ml

3.0 out of 5 stars Lush but pricey, 13 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is obviously aimed more at the luxury end of the market, given the price, and it does lather up rather nicely, it smells good, and it comes attractively packaged. For me though it seemed a little on the pricey side for what it is. Also, maybe it's my nose, but the promised "garland of tender, changing rose notes, perfectly balanced with subtle strands of cassis and the softest cedarwood, enlivened by yuzu and warmed by musk and amber" just smelled pretty much like, well rose.

Graduate to a Great Career: How Smart Students, New Graduates and Young Professionals can Launch BRAND YOU
by Catherine Kaputa

5.0 out of 5 stars Up-to-date and extremely relevant, 11 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was slightly wary of this book before reading it, but have to admit that it won me over completely. I got it on behalf of my daughter, who graduates in two years, but found myself reading it avidly. It is (surprisingly) completely up-to-date in its assessment of the job market, and the increasingly important need to stand out and create a personal brand. But it offers advice on how to do this in a way that is practical and not patronising. There are currently more graduates than at any time in history, and big competition to secure jobs that are interesting and rewarding, and this book really gives a head start in doing just that.

Post-it Index Flags - Dual Pack 25mm - Orange (50 Flags x 2)
Post-it Index Flags - Dual Pack 25mm - Orange (50 Flags x 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars They stick quickly and easily onto pages of books, 4 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These make really handy bookmarks, placeholders, highlighters, whatever. They stick quickly and easily onto pages of books, and many other surfaces, and can be removed and reattached many times without seemingly losing their stickiness. Even on cheap pulpy paperbacks I was able to stick, remove, and restick, over and over again, without either damaging the page or making the index flag appreciably less sticky (though cheaper paperbacks do occasionally leave a trace of their ink on the flag). The fact that you can write on them is also useful.

At nearly 4p each, they are a little bit more expensive than I might expect, and although they are pretty bright, they are slightly translucent which means they aren't quite as day-glo as shown in the product picture, where there are many of them stacked behind one another. All the same, I recommend them and find them really handy.

Post-it Index Flags - Dual Pack 25mm - Blue (50 Flags x 2)
Post-it Index Flags - Dual Pack 25mm - Blue (50 Flags x 2)

Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

At nearly 4p each, they are a little bit more expensive than I might expect, and although they are pretty bright, they are slightly translucent which means they aren't quite as colourful as shown in the product picture, where there are many of them stacked behind one another. All the same, I recommend them and find them really handy.

L'Oreal Paris Infallible Sexy Balm Number 102, Gossip
L'Oreal Paris Infallible Sexy Balm Number 102, Gossip

4.0 out of 5 stars It does a great job of moisturising and revitalising, 1 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As the name implies, this is more lip balm than lip stick. It does a great job of moisturising and revitalising, although the "12 hours" protection seems a bit far fetched. It does also provide some colour to the lips, but this does not last as long as the moisturising effect.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20