Profile for Mr. D. N. Sumption > Reviews

Content by Mr. D. N. Sumption

Mr. D. N. Sumption (Sheffield, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Rexel Mylar A4 Reinforced Index - Multicolour/White (Pack of 10)
Rexel Mylar A4 Reinforced Index - Multicolour/White (Pack of 10)

4.0 out of 5 stars These are really good quality dividers, 24 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are really good quality dividers, with reinforced punch holes and clear, colourful tabs to separate your content. They were perhaps a little bit on the pricey side, but then you pay for quality and they don't come better than this.

Soundpeats Qy7 Mini Lightweight Wireless Stereo Sports/running & Gym/exercise Bluetooth Earbuds Headphones Headsets W/microphone for Iphone 5s 5c 4s 4, Ipad 2 3 4 New Ipad, Ipod, Android, Samsung Galaxy, Smart Phones Bluetooth Devices (QY7, black/green)
Offered by SOUNDSOUL Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars In ear headphones that actually stay in my ears!, 24 May 2015
I have always had problems with in-ear headphones - most fall out of my ears within seconds but these ones were a revelation. They come with a little rubber attachment which holds them in the ear, and it seems to work really well because these are the first earbuds I've worn in years which do not fall out when I jog or walk with them in. They're pretty comfortable too - I've worn them for a couple of hours without feeling any discomfort. They come supplied in a hard case, with a whole host of accessories - different ear fittings and the like, and a very short USB cable (standard micro-USB) for recharging. Pairing them with my phone was really easy, and the sound quality was good with only the very occasional cut-out, standard to all bluetooth headphones I've used, when I moved the phone around. My only small issue was that the placement of the buttons meant that I would sometimes accidentally turn them off of change the volume when putting them into my ears, but once I got used to the positioning of the buttons that wasn't an issue for me any more.

Rexel A4 40 Pocket See and Store Display Books - Black (Pack of 5)
Rexel A4 40 Pocket See and Store Display Books - Black (Pack of 5)

3.0 out of 5 stars At around £10 a book, these seem very expensive ..., 16 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
At around £10 a book, these seem very expensive for what they are. The plastic of the display inserts is fairly thin - although this didn't prove a problem in use, I would have expected them to be a little more heavy-duty. The inserts are bound into the folder, i.e. they are not removable.

Oco CO-14EU HD Smart Wi-Fi Video Monitoring Camera with FREE One Year Cloud Recording

3.0 out of 5 stars A little pricey, and cloud storage costs extra., 16 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A little overpriced for what it is. The camera is very nice, and produces a decent picture. It's housed within a plastic frame which can either be stood on a surface, allowing the camera to be angled around, or can be mounted on a wall. The camera is powered via USB, and comes with a fairly long USB cable which threads through this plastic frame (and which can be a little fiddly to get in place). I was a little disappointed as I thought when it said "no batteries required" that the camera might be rechargeable, but it does required a constant connection. I suppose one could power it off a rechargeable USB battery, but as supplied it needs to be constantly connected to a plug socket.

The software is easy to install - I got mine from the Android Play store - and once loaded you enter your wireless network login details and the software generates a QR code which you hold in front of the camera. The camera then scans this and uses it to connect to the wireless network - a really neat trick. The camera then relays pictures to your phone, and also sends a notification to your phone every time it seems movement or hears a noise. Unfortunately this mechanism seems very over-sensitive: I seem to get hundreds of notifications per day, to the extend that I have learned to ignore them, even when there is only actually movement half-a-dozen times per day. Also, you can only watch the camera in real-time unless you pay for a cloud service subscription.

One final trick - you can use your phone's microphone to send sounds out via the camera, a great trick for spooking your family when they're at home and you're not :-)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 21, 2015 7:17 AM BST

Adventures in Minecraft
Adventures in Minecraft
by David Whale

4.0 out of 5 stars A great primer for programmers of the future, 1 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great book, with a host of ideas which will lead your (older) Minecraft-obsessed child into the world of computer programming. Some of the instructions are, of necessity, a little complex, so it will require some persistence and ideally a technically-minded adult on standby to explain some of the more complicated bits, but a keen child of 13 or 14 should be able to battle through and do most of the projects in here on their own.

Philips Multi-Groom Ultra Precise Beard Styler Series 1000
Philips Multi-Groom Ultra Precise Beard Styler Series 1000

2.0 out of 5 stars Ultra slow, 27 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For many years now, I've been styling my beard into a wide range of more-or-less whacky designs. Generally I use a regular wet-shave cartridge razor to do this. So I was intrigued to try this "ultra-precise" beard styler, to see whether it offered me any advantage. Well, I have to grudgingly admit that the tiny shaving head is a tad more precise than my wet shave. Offset against that, though, is the fact that it doesn't really shave down to the skin. And it's tediously slow. I worked a few shapes into my beard with it, but then had to clip on the foil to try and shave the area around them, which it pretty much failed to do - it took my facial hair down to a fuzz, but completely failed to give a smooth shave. The beard trimmer attachments were a little more successful, although the choice of only three lengths wasn't great - other trimmers I've used tend to have 5-10 settings. After spending 10 minutes battling with facial hair, trying to get some kind of a result I was happy with, I gave up and reverted to my usual razor.

Apexel 180 Degree Fish Eye Lens + Wide Angle Lens + Micro Lens Kit for iPhone 4 4S 4G 5 5G 5S 5C 6 Plus Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 S3 I9300 S4 I9500 S5 S6 Note I9220 Note2 N7100 Note3 Note 4 mini i8190 S7562 HTC LG Black (No Dark Circle by the Fisheye Lens)
Offered by TopBrandBoxUK

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun toy., 23 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a really fun little toy to enhance your phone's camera (I used it on my Motorola/Google Nexus 6, and it fitted no problem). Despite the claims, the quality of the photos produced are nothing you would get with a pro lens - that's to be expected as, for one thing, you a clipping this over your existing lens, doubling the amount of glass between you and the subject, and also the positioning of this second lens will never be micrometer-perfect. The result of this is that the photo is noticeably less sharp and less contrasty than photos taken with your regular phone camera (this is noticeable even when viewed small on the phone screen). However, anyone who expects to get a pro lens for around a tenner (and to then fit it onto a mobile phone) is always going to be disappointed. This lens is a lot of fun and works just great provided you accept that it is what it is: a cheap toy.

MICRO Pedi Man Gift Set
MICRO Pedi Man Gift Set

3.0 out of 5 stars Feels cheap and plasticky, but works well., 13 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I opened the package, my first impression was of rather a cheap-looking product - the type of thing you might buy unbranded on eBay via Hong Kong. Despite appearances, it worked rather well, removing dead skin effectively and even feeling rather nice on the foot as it did so. It still seems rather expensive for what it is, and it could be improved by having a rechargeable battery (rather than the two AA batteries - not included! - which it requires), by being waterproof, and by having a slightly more heavy-duty feel.

Bakers Dentacrunch Chicken and Country Vegetables Dry Dog Food 1 kg (Pack of 4)
Bakers Dentacrunch Chicken and Country Vegetables Dry Dog Food 1 kg (Pack of 4)

2.0 out of 5 stars Makes dog stinky, 10 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used this dog food a couple of times before now, and can't help noticing that it makes my dog a lot more... there's no easy way to say this... trumpy. She stinks the room out whenever she's been eating Bakers! As with anything and everything even vaguely edible, she wolfs it down and always wants more, but I've had to stop feeding it to her because the resulting smell is just too much for the family to cope with.

VAX Floormate Cordless Floor Cleaner
VAX Floormate Cordless Floor Cleaner

4.0 out of 5 stars This cleaner does a good job of cleaning hard (lino or wooden) floors, 7 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This cleaner does a good job of cleaning hard (lino or wooden) floors. You charge up the battery (which lasts approximately 30 minutes), fill with water & detergent, and get going. In my experience it worked at least as well as a mop and bucket, but is perhaps a bit more of a faff for small areas, particularly as it's not great at getting into small and oddly shaped corners and crevices. One other small niggle is that the on/off switch seems a bit peculiar, and isn't quite as easy to operate as I would have hoped. All in all though, a useful product.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20