Profile for Mr. D. N. Sumption > Reviews

Content by Mr. D. N. Sumption

Mr. D. N. Sumption (Sheffield, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
BETA Adult Terriers with Chicken, 2 kg (Pack of 4)
BETA Adult Terriers with Chicken, 2 kg (Pack of 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fewer farts is good!, 17 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
At first our lakeland terrier was a little sniffy around this but soon, as with any food, she was wolfing it down unquestioningly. We've definitely noticed that she farts less since she started eating it, so I would say that's a five-star result!

Showing Up: How to Make a Greater Impact at Work
Showing Up: How to Make a Greater Impact at Work
by Tim Robson

2.0 out of 5 stars You are like an iPhone, or an iceberg, that never left school., 17 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Your whole life at work is spent in water. You are an iceberg. An iceberg that never left school. And that needs updating. You need to pull the plug, leave school and update your apps as soon as possible.

These are the central premises of this book. A mish-mash of metaphor, analogy and anecdote that manges to uncover, almost incidentally, some important truths, and then buries them deep within an iceberg. The author's over-reliance on analogy is made painfully clear in the first chapter, which tells you that you are like an iPhone, with dozens of apps that need updating if only you'd visit the App Store once in a while. I read through this thinking "but I have an Android phone. All of the apps update automatically every night. What the hell is this iPhone hell Tim Robson is trying to paint me into?" And then, at the end of the chapter, a scant paragraph clearly written after the rest of the book was put to bed concedes that in recent versions of iOS apps update themselves, which means that this chapter's metaphors are in need of (but have not received) an update.

And this is the biggest problem of the book: it clings so tightly to its analogies that often the real-world application suffers. It concludes with some genuinely useful (though more-often-than-not trite) components and methodologies for improving your presence and performance at work: "Think, Believe, Create, Connect, All Is Well". By this stage in the book, however, I was so tired of the book's clumsily repetitive analogies that, like listening to a teacher in love with the sound of their own voice, I found myself gradually drifting off to sleep.

Plumen E27 Metal Set Plus Drop Cap, Copper
Plumen E27 Metal Set Plus Drop Cap, Copper
Offered by My Green Lighting

4.0 out of 5 stars Stylish light, a bit of a faff to set up, 11 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This light looks really great - the twisted bulb is stylish and bigger than most, and the simple copper chrome holder sets it off nicely. Installing it was a bit of a faff - unless you have a very high ceiling, you will need to but the cable, and it was tricky getting the remaining bits of cable to fit into the connectors. Once installed, it produces a decent enough light, though not particularly bright and not as low-energy as LED equivalents.

GOODOGS TREAT Dogs Snack for Dogs, Small
GOODOGS TREAT Dogs Snack for Dogs, Small

4.0 out of 5 stars Great dog-training treats, 11 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My terrier loves these treats. Ingredients look good: all natural, including 35% pork and the remainder mostly chicken parts. They've been a great help for dog-training.

H2D iR Ionic and Infrared Professional Hair Dryer
H2D iR Ionic and Infrared Professional Hair Dryer

5.0 out of 5 stars Very powerful, 11 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great, professional hair dryer. We found that it dries hair really quickly, the included attachments make it great for styling. Build quality seems very good, and it comes presented in a very swish looking box.

1Byone Wireless HDMI WiFi Dongle iShare Videos Images Docs Live Camera Musics from All Smart Devices to TV, Monitor or Projector
Offered by 1Byone Products Inc

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to set up, and it just works!, 11 Sep 2014
I found this very easy to set up - didn't need to refer to the manual, just plugged it into my TV (both HDMI and USB ports) and then, on switching to that HDMI input, there was a splash screen on TV containing URLs and QR codes for Android, iOS and Mac/PC apps. I scanned the QR code for the Android app, typed in the WiFi id and password, and was connected directly to the device with the option to show various media from my phone. To connect to the Internet required entering my regular network details into the WiFi dongle, and from there everything was good - I could stream YouTube videos and listen to music from my phone, all a lot more easily than doing so via the TV's interface & remote control.

One Day the Shadow Passed (Visions)
One Day the Shadow Passed (Visions)
by Jonathan Reggio

5.0 out of 5 stars A little book of calm., 3 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A beautifully and simply written inspirational account of a man's pilgrimage to Japan where, quite by chance, he meets a farmer who exudes calm and is practicing a new (or rather very old) way of growing food. Like the farmer, the book itself put me in a state of calm and clarity, and has proved a huge inspiration for me to simplify my own life. Highly recommended.

1Byone LED Moonflower Diso Light Disco DJ Stage Lighting, Super LED Reflection Projector Laser Light, Sound Activated RGB Light, Apply Lighting For DJ Disco House Party Hotel Stage Office Camping Field Music Concert Etc, Lighting For Halloween And Christmas
Offered by 1Byone Products Inc

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, solidly built party light., 2 Sep 2014
This is a solidly built disco light that would be provide sparkle to a house party, or work nicely in conjunction with other party lighting in a bigger venue. The moonflower patter rotates and and pulses at different speeds, which can easily be controlled via the knobs on the back, or can be set to respond to audio. In our very large living room (approx. 20'x20' with 15' ceiling) the light had no problem filling the room with pulsing colour, it really made the atmosphere for our party.

Fresh Prints: 25 Easy and Enticing Printing Projects to Make at Home (Simple Makes)
by Christine Leech

4.0 out of 5 stars Some great projects, 1 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I wasn't all that impressed by this book when I first browsed through it, but on giving it a proper read I found that it's actually really nicely done - there are some really nifty print projects, well explained, and that for the most part don't require all sorts of specialised equipment. I'm really looking forward to trying some more of them out.

Cooking for Geeks: Real Science, Great Hacks, and Good Food
Cooking for Geeks: Real Science, Great Hacks, and Good Food
by Jeff Potter

4.0 out of 5 stars I have been a keen cook for many years but even so have learned loads of useful stuff that I never knew, 1 Sep 2014
This book is packed with fascinating information, I have been a keen cook for many years but even so have learned loads of useful stuff that I never knew. The only reasons why I'm not giving it five stars are that I find the writing style a little annoying and at times patronising, and also the format of the book just feels wrong - the pages are too wide, which I found made it a little awkward to read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15