Profile for Mr. D. N. Sumption > Reviews

Content by Mr. D. N. Sumption

Mr. D. N. Sumption (Sheffield, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Energizer GU10 3.6 W LED Bulb, 35 W Traditional Replacement, 245 Lumens - Warm White

5.0 out of 5 stars I have been replacing my 35W halogen bulbs with these ..., 28 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been replacing my 35W halogen bulbs with these 3.6W LED equivalents - a saving of almost 90% on electricity. When I started looking at them a few years ago, the price of the LED replacements was so high that it outweighed the electricity bill savings, but prices have now come down to a level that they're not so different to the halogen originals, so it's well worth replacing them. In terms of fitting and light produced, I absolutely can't tell the difference from the halogen version, so a big thumbs up.

Purina PRO PLAN Dog Medium Puppy with OptiStart Rich in Chicken Dry Food - 3 kg
Purina PRO PLAN Dog Medium Puppy with OptiStart Rich in Chicken Dry Food - 3 kg

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent quality, though some odd ingredients, 26 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This seems a decent quality dry puppy food, and our pup wolfed it down (although there's very little that he doesn't). I have to question some of the ingredients though, in particular the inclusion of wheat as the second ingredient. Also gluten, rice, soya, maize... these have very little reason being in a dog's diet, and certainly not in such quantities, so I would question the manufacturer's claim that this is especially formulated by nutritionists.

✮OFFICIAL✮ Thermaspike- Ultra Fast Food And Meat Thermometer And Temperature Gauge - Free Battery
Offered by MadBuy

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, accurate and sturdy, 22 Aug. 2015
This is a fast, accurate and sturdy food thermometer - much better than my previous (more expensive) digital meat thermometer. It switches on automatically when opened, and switches off again when closed, can easily be switched between Celsius and Fahrenheit, and also has a hold button (which I found handy for rushing off to check the temperature against recommended internal meat temperatures). It also fits nicely in the hand.

Philips GC2046/20 EasySpeed Steam Iron with 110 g Steam Boost/ Ceramic Soleplate and Safety Auto-Off, 270 ml, 2200 Watt, Blue

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, but cable could be longer, 10 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a decent enough budget-to-mid-range iron, and comes with all of the features you'd expect from a modern iron: steam (including when the iron is held vertically) and spray from an internal water reservoir, self-clean, and a smooth ceramic hotplate. However, as other reviewers noted, at only 2m the cable is really not long enough, you will be tethered close to the wall and unable to easily maneuver around the ironing board. The water reservoir could also do with being larger so that it could go longer between fills.

The Networking for Nerds: Find, Access and Land Hidden Game-Changing Career Opportunities Everywhere
by Nobel Laureate Brian Schmidt

4.0 out of 5 stars Practical and well-written, but could be better edited, 10 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is packed with practical networking advice, and is written in a very readable style. It will certainly prove useful to anyone looking to improve their job-hunting and opportunity-finding skills. There were, however, quite a few things about it which niggled with me. Starting off with the title: what exactly is a "nerd"? If I'd had to guess, I would have thought this meant computer programmers and the like, but actually the book is squarely aimed at scientists and engineers. This isn't a big deal, and 90%+ of the advice in here is still applicable to people in any industry or specialism, but it would have been nice to have a more precise title. Then there is the book's editing (or lack of it): it is quite a bit longer than it really needs to be, and scattered with sentences which could very easily have been improved on. Finally, and this may just be personal taste, but I found the book's design a little offputting: fairly large pages with a lot of text on, it just doesn't _look_ all that inviting a read. Which is a shame, because once I dived into it it's really rather good.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 18, 2015 1:37 AM BST

Devoted Duck with Trout, 2 kg
Devoted Duck with Trout, 2 kg

5.0 out of 5 stars this is the best quality I have seen - really good ingredients, 8 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As dry foods go, this is the best quality I have seen - really good ingredients, good look, smell and feel. Of course, the dog wolfs it down, as she does everything that's set in front of her, but it's good to know that she's getting a good balance of nutrition and, crucially, no grain in her feed.

New 2015 A-Level Psychology: AQA Year 1 & AS Complete Revision & Practice
New 2015 A-Level Psychology: AQA Year 1 & AS Complete Revision & Practice
by CGP Books

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a really nicely produced revision guide, 8 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a really nicely produced revision guide, with a huge amount of information packed, and making great use of colour and illustrations to illustrate key points.

Bluetooth V4.0 Music Receiver, DBPOWER BA-700 Bluetooth Car Kit Charger For iPhone Android Windows etc.
Offered by MyStore365

4.0 out of 5 stars This little device does a great job of hooking my phone up to the car ..., 6 Aug. 2015
This little device does a great job of hooking my phone up to the car hi-fi, and allowing me to make hands-free calls while driving. Setting it up with my Android phone was really easy, with Bluetooth on the phone detected it automatically.

Just a few small points prevent me from giving it five stars:
* It comes with a sticky pad to attach to the dashboard, but I knocked it off and the pad came off the back. I managed to re-attach it, but it could do with a replacement pad in case of this happening.
* There is no power switch - the only way to power it off is by unplugging it from the cigarette lighter. Not a bit issue, but I'd be worried that I might forget to unplug it and, if I left it for a long time, it could prove a drain on the car battery.
* It can be used to control the phone (play/pause, volume +/-) but the controls are not very obvious and hard to get the hang of. Not a big issue for me, as I control these things from my Pebble anyway.

Piccadilly 180 g Sandalwood Shaving Cream Bowl
Piccadilly 180 g Sandalwood Shaving Cream Bowl

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth and stylish., 4 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The gorgeous smell of this cream hits you as soon as you open the container. My wife described the smell as "old man... but in a good way". I think she meant the type of old man who strolls to his gentleman's club in a three-piece suit with a furled umbrella, rather than the kind of old man who roots around the bit for discarded cigarette butts. Me, I loved the smell. I aspire to be an old man.

Application of the cream was easy, and just a tiny amount was enough to get a decent lather all over my face and neck, even without using a brush. Shaving with it was an absolute pleasure, smooth and easy. Enough of the smell persisted after washing it off that it made me feel as though I'm already well on my way to being a stylish old man.

Philips Pulse Relief Wireless Electro Pulse Therapy
Philips Pulse Relief Wireless Electro Pulse Therapy

3.0 out of 5 stars Momentary relief, plus harmless (?) fun, 4 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's hard to know quite what to make of this product. My wife, who suffers from severe chronic back pain, certainly found it a relief during the 30 minute periods when she wore it, but it does not seem to offer any clear long-term benefit - once it is off, the pain returns as bad as ever. Whether this kind of short-term relief is worth paying £130 depends, I guess, on the severity of your pain and the deepness of your pockets. Pain relief aside, I'm not sure I should really admit to this but my friends and I found it a rather fun party game to try it on and see how high we could go with the settings. Which brings me to the subject of the controller... there are no built-in controls, you will need a smartphone to control it (the box only mentions that it works with iPhones and iPads, but fortunately there is also an app for Android devices). The app itself is not great - it's really not clear exactly where one should position the pads, and of the 20-or-so different treatments available in the app, it's never really clear which one should be used at any time. Still, again it was fun running through all of the different treatments and seeing what they felt like.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20