Profile for K Martin > Reviews

Ringo Starr & His All-Starr-Band - Live at the Greek Theatre 2008 [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Ringo Starr & His All Starr Band
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 10.42

3.0 out of 5 stars Live at the Greek Theatre 2008 - A Disappointing DVD, 16 Sep 2013
First of all, I want to be fairly clear here.

I love this band, love Ringo, love all of the music on this tour. I own both the CD and DVD of this tour, but... I just think they picked the wrong show for the DVD Release. To me, there are so many things wrong on this DVD that it just lets me down, and just makes it not as good as the 2006 DVD, the 2010 DVD, or the 2012 DVD.

First of all, the minor stuff:

1. The behind the scenes clips between songs, while unnecessary, I can live with.

2. Ringo's choice of clothing for the second half of the show is just an eye-sore. Trust me Rich, stay away from black and gold.

3. I would have much rather had a saxophone solo from Edgar Winter on Oh My My, rather than a guitar solo from Colin Hay.

4. The backing vocals on Memphis In Your Mind are slightly wrong, which seemed to happen in the 2003 tour as well. Must be Colin Hay.

5. Speaking of backing vocals, this tour probably has the worst backing vocals for Boys.

6. Ringo kinda screws up the opening to With a Little Help From My Friends. Really minor. Can also live with that.

7. There were solo spots from Billy Squier, Edgar Winter, Gary Wright, Colin Hay, and Hamish Stuart in the tour. On this DVD, none of them appears. I would rather have solo spots than just go straight from Yellow Submarine to Frankenstein.

Now the major stuff:

1. Gregg Bissonette. He's an amazing drummer. I'd love to see him in future tours. But his drumming is just majorly off on this tour, probably the worst in the 3 All Starr tours he's done.

2. The drum track on this DVD seems really focused on Ringo, when most of the time he doesn't play the full thing, and Gregg does all the heavy stuff. Not good. Several times in this DVD, Gregg appears to be playing something different, but we just don't hear it. Who Can It Be Now, Pick Up the Pieces, Work to Do, and I think Lonely Is The Night. There's probably more that I'm just missing. Basically, with my DVDs, I'd rather have the main drum track be coming from the lead drummer of the tour, unless the song is Boys, I Wanna Be Your Man, Choose Love, or Back Off Boogaloo, or any other songs where Ringo's singing AND on drums.

3. Ringo may not have ever been the greatest singer in the world, I'll grant that, but in this tour, his voice seems really really off on this tour. The With a Little Help From My Friends introduction, Never Without You, I Wanna Be Your Man, and Give Peace a Chance seems to show this. This one is PURELY my opinion.

4. My favourite song from Edgar Winter is really broken in this show. It just sounds bad, compared to either 2006 or 2010. The second synthesizer section is really messed up, with Edgar and Gregg being really out of sync, to the point of Gregg cutting the section short. Big thumbs down in my book. I still watch this show every now and then, but when I get to this point in the show, I always find myself reaching for the DVD remote to skip ahead. I love Frankenstein, but this version is just unwatchable for me.

There have been a few good parts of this tour, don't get me wrong.

1. I love this tour's versions of Act Naturally, What Goes On, Who Can It Be Now, Down Under, and Free Ride more than any other of the All Starr tours.

2. My second favourite Ringo song, Oh My My, is in this tour, big thumbs up for me. In some shows of this tour, Oh My My gets completely cut from the show, so I'm glad it's in this show.

The Setlist for the DVD:

With a Little Help From My Friends / It Don't Come Easy
What Goes On
Memphis In Your Mind
Lonely Is the Night (Billy Squier)
Free Ride (Edgar Winter)
Down Under (Colin Hay)
Dream Weaver (Gary Wright)
Boys
Pick Up The Pieces (Hamish Stuart)
Liverpool 8
Act Naturally
Yellow Submarine
Frankenstein (Edgar Winter)
All Starr Band Introductions
Never Without You
Choose Love
The Stroke (Billy Squier)
Work To Do (Hamish Stuart)
I Wanna Be Your Man
Love Is Alive (Gary Wright)
Who Can It Be Now (Colin Hay)
Photograph
Oh My My
With A Little Help From My Friends
Give Peace a Chance

Once again, the music on this tour is good. The band is good. What really let it down was the DVD release. The other DVDs from 2006 to 2013 really do outshine this one.

I've heard some people complain that the CD has Edgar Winter's Free Ride, but no Frankenstein. Honestly, I'd rather have it that way, the way Frankenstein is on this tour.

CD Setlist:

With a Little Help From My Friends / It Don't Come Easy
What Goes On
The Stroke (Billy Squier)
Free Ride (Edgar Winter)
Dream Weaver (Gary Wright)
Boys
Pick Up The Pieces (Hamish Stuart)
Act Naturally
Yellow Submarine
Never Without You
I Wanna Be Your Man
Who Can It Be Now (Colin Hay)
Photograph
Oh My My
With A Little Help From My Friends
Give Peace a Chance

Make of this review what you will. But given the choice, I'd pick the CD over the DVD. And it's probably the only tour I'd do that for.

Ringo 2012
Ringo 2012
Price: 8.62

4.0 out of 5 stars Ringo 2012 - It's really not that bad, 10 July 2013
This review is from: Ringo 2012 (Audio CD)
I'm not a mad reviewer, I'm just a simple 20 year old drummer, who listens to Ringo music all the time and considers Ringo Starr the greatest drummer of all time.

After Ringo recorded and released Y Not in 2010, I was excited to see what he could produce with his next album. Y Not, to this day, is at least number 3 on my top 5 Ringo albums, right up there with Ringo from 1973 (naturally) and Vertical Man from 1998.

Here's a quick run down of all the tracks on here.

ANTHEM: First track up, and actually the longest. This is an Anthem for Peace and Love...... that's pretty much it. It can possibly be seen as a "sequel" to Peace Dream from Y Not. Not much to say for this one. Fun to listen to, fun to sing, fun to play on drums. My second favourite song on this album.

WINGS: Already, we're onto Wings, the single from this album, as well as My favourite song on this album. A re-recording of the same song from Ringo the 4th from 1978. As soon as I heard this song, I was pretty much hooked. Wings is my 3rd favourite Ringo Starr song, right up there with Oh My My and Back Off Boogaloo. Once again, fun to play, fun to sing, lyrics are quite memorable. Some people seem torn between which version is better, the original from Ringo the 4th, or this version. Personally, I enjoy them both, and I listen to them both all the time, but if I had to pick, this version wins.

THINK IT OVER: Ringo's cover of the classic Buddy Holly song, recorded I think the year before for a Buddy Holly tribute album. I was actually kinda hoping that Ringo would re-record this and maybe extend it to something around the 2 1/2 minute mark, but nope, this track is super short, around 1:47. Still, that doesn't stop it from being a good song. It's nice to hear Ringo pay tribute to one of the legends of Rock N Roll.

SAMBA: This song, I don't really care for. It's OK, I guess. I will listen to it every now and then, when Windows Media Player is playing the Complete Ringo collection, with track selection set on Random, but as for the entire CD, it's probably my least favourite track on this list. Not the worst Ringo song in the world though. There's far worse. Like Wrack my Brain or Hey Baby.

ROCK ISLAND LINE: This song is the song that got me interested in this album, long before I even heard Wings. I'm a big fan of the Lonnie Donegan version of Rock Island Line, so I was interested to see what Ringo could do with this song, and needless to say, I wasn't disappointed. Awesome track. Not very skiffle-y, if that is a word, and that may turn off a few listeners, those are skiffle fanatics. But still, the song is good, probably my third favourite on this CD.

STEP LIGHTLY: Now....... when this album came out, I originally didn't care for Step Lightly, whether it was the remake, or the original from the Ringo album. But over the past year, the remake has kind of grown on me. I find myself going back to listen to it quite a bit. I still don't really care for the original. Unlike Wings, when it comes to deciding which version of Step Lightly is better, there really is no contest. The remake wins for me anyday.

WONDERFUL: A new song from Ringo, dedicated to his lovely wife of currently, 32 years. It's could be interpreted as a musical way of saying "If you really love each other, you can fix your way through any argument or fight, no matter how bad it is." So far, I've been going out with my girlfriend for nearly 2 years, with our anniversary on October 16th. We've had a pretty rough time in that time. But I always say, "As long as we're still together, it can't be all bad. We can make this work." And so far, it seems to be working. So as long as I'm with this girl, I will enjoy this song.

IN LIVERPOOL: Every album since 2008's Liverpool 8, Ringo has recorded a mini-autobiographical track regarding his days in Liverpool. This time, it's Chapter 3. This track revolves around Ringo going to, or occasionally skiving, school, and going to Sefton Park, or "breaking the rules, and acting like fools" as Ringo puts it in this song. He also talks about going to nightclubs such as the Iron Door, becoming an apprentice engineer, and developing his interest in music. It's a good song, I will say that. The strange thing about this song is that I have found the lyrics to be incredibly memorable, more memorable than than any other track on here, except maybe Wings. When compared to the other Liverpool "Chapters", this one is second best for me, probably due to the lyrics. The Other Side Of Liverpool wins in the Liverpool category, with both lyrics and drum beat winning for me.

SLOW DOWN: Naturally, there's gotta be a family track, this track being with Joe Walsh. Very good guitar and lyrics on this one. It seems to me that, pretty much on this and Y Not's Fill In The Blanks, Ringo and Joe probably just hang out in Ringo's guest house, with drums, a guitar, and a couple of mics, and probably just spurt out random words. And in both Fill In The Blanks and Slow Down, it works. 2 very good tracks in my opinion.

Well, that's it. All 9 tracks. Pretty short. For me, there's 2 reasons this album isn't 5 stars.

1. It's too short, only 9 tracks, running around 29 minutes. That's too short for a Ringo album. Y Not had 10 tracks, resulting in around 35 minutes worth of music. I just hope Ringo isn't running out of musical ideas. I just hope the next album isn't this short.

2. The songs just aren't as memorable as Y Not. Those songs on Y Not seemed to... gel together, and seemed like they were all good combos with each other.

What could've won this album over for me? A remake of either Oh My My with Edgar Winter on saxophone, or a remake of Back Off Boogaloo. Those are my 2 favourite songs above Wings.

But all in all, this album really isn't that bad. It's not the best, but it's not the worst either. The songs are not all horrible. It's still worth it in my opinion, but there is much better Ringo out there.