Profile for Arcobaleno > Reviews

Content by Arcobaleno

Arcobaleno "Arcobaleno" (Italy)

Verdi: Messa Da Requiem [Gustavo Dudamel, I. D'Arcangelo, V. Grigolo] [C Major: 714804] [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region A & B]
Dvd ~ Verdi

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 18 Dec. 2013
A superb rendition of a superb work!
Very impressive and elaborated until the last details.
Inspiring and unforgettable. I wish I had been there personally!

Mozart: Don Giovanni
Mozart: Don Giovanni

5.0 out of 5 stars D'Arcangelo is THE Don Giovanni, 2 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Mozart: Don Giovanni (Audio CD)
I only would like to say that this has been my favourite opera for 16 years. I have heard many renditions, possibly by some of the best performers of the title role but I must admit that here for the first time in 16 years I hear a Don Giovanni who really fits my idea of this personage. For me D'Arcangelo is the best Don Giovanni, listening to him is not like listening to someone who is just singing a role - he leaves the impression of Don Giovanni himself. He absolutely impersonates the part and is incredibly convincing. He doesn't only sing it - he feels it.
All the three women are excellent (which I think is also rare), the conducting is superb.
This recording is well-worth having for every Mozart lover.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 11, 2014 8:56 AM BST

Scarlatti: Salve Regina / Pergolesi: Stabat Mater, Salve Regina
Scarlatti: Salve Regina / Pergolesi: Stabat Mater, Salve Regina

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing!!!, 30 May 2011
If you have to listen to just one performance of "Stabat Mater", it should be this one! Perfect, beautiful, wonderful! A masterpiece in every aspect.

Pergolesi: Stabat Mater - A Tribute to Pergolesi
Pergolesi: Stabat Mater - A Tribute to Pergolesi

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, 30 May 2011
This is the most awful performance I have heard (and I've heard a lot!) of this famous Pergolesi's work. Even 1 star rating is too much for it. From every point of view (soloists, way of singing, direction) it is horrible and disappointing. Netrebko's voice is absolutely not suited for this kind of music, and she lacks also the other necessary qualities to perform it. It is a torment listening to her here. The other singer is quite the same.
This is not a tribute but an offence to Pergolesi. If he could here this performance he would probably regret having composed this piece.
Fortunately I haven't bought this disc and I do advise you as well - don't waste your money on it, since there are renditions of this work that sound much better.

Turandot [DVD] [2011]
Turandot [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Arena Di Verona

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 14 April 2009
This review is from: Turandot [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
This production is spectacular, the sinders are exceptional. Ghena Dimitrova is certainly the best Turandot ever, seems like the part was written especially for her. The staging and the cast are excellent.
Also Martinucci is very impressive as Calaf.
Surely the DVD is worth watching and is a must for every Puccini and opera fan.