Profile for one book at a time > Reviews

Content by one book at a time

one book at a time (London, UK)

Christopher Marlowe & the Bards of Nemeton
Christopher Marlowe & the Bards of Nemeton
by Meirion Meirion

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive story telling, absolutely amazing artwork, 1 Dec. 2013
This is several cuts above what I expected. I am amazed that Jones' work is only available via an independent publishing house, when he clearly deserves a huge audience for his imaginative work. The drawing and inking are exceptional. I'm on the re-read now (I always re-read my favourite comics because I tend to rush through them on the first run) and am noticing more of the nuances of the story and the beautiful complexity of the design.

Melissa & Doug Wooden Family Doll Set
Melissa & Doug Wooden Family Doll Set
Offered by 24/7 DIRECT

5.0 out of 5 stars Better value than le van toy dolls, 11 Oct. 2012
I bought these dolls to go with le van toy furniture and they fit perfectly. They are better value than the le van toy dolls because you get the grandad and grandma as well as the baby for more or less the same price. I was expecting them perhaps to be of a worse quality but they are well made and able to withstand constant use by my 3-year old daughter. She loves them.

The Laundry Man
The Laundry Man
by Kenneth Rijock

3.0 out of 5 stars More interesting than it appears, 23 Aug. 2012
This review is from: The Laundry Man (Paperback)
Ken Rijock was a money-launderer in the cocaine blizzard that was Miami in the 1990s. His book is part confession, part beginner's guide. I enjoyed the details of his scams but - as with most legal work - the repetition can get tedious. His descriptions of his fellow-travellers are very, very entertaining and you find yourself rooting for him when it all goes bad.

The occasional false note is sounded when Ken writes about his successes with the ladies. Otherwise this is good holiday reading, better than True Crime magazines but its writing is not to the same standard as The Sink, The Devil's Deal or The Smartest Guys in the Room.

The Money Myth: A Classic Introduction to the Modern World of Finance and Investing (Financial Times Series)
by Alexander Davidson

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classical Take on Finance, 2 May 2012
This is a clever, imaginative book. The myths of Greece and Rome are used to illuminate how modern finance works. You'll learn about placements and prop trading, as well as Pluto and Prosperina. I'm not a novice in these areas but I learned plenty about both!

Davidson also tells the novice traveller what sirens to avoid. Thanks to him, I now won't waste my time on esoterica such as the Elliott Wave and William Gann's Sufi-inspired charting patterns.

Much more readable than most other books in this sector, the book is especially strong on how domestic investors are so, so different from their counterparts in the City. Indeed, Chapters 9-12 on banking superpowers and the Babylonian chaos they unleashed are essential reads for anyone with the urge to invest.

By the end you hope that the sloppy, grasping management of the insurance behemoth AIG do suffer their thousand years in hell. But don't worry, says the author, because 'shares go up as well as down.'

In short, a strong buy.

The Folly of French Kissing: A Novel
The Folly of French Kissing: A Novel
by Carla McKay

5.0 out of 5 stars Great French Treat, 2 May 2012
I picked this up after my partner had read it in two sittings on hols. It was very different from what I thought it was going to be. The story about a woman escaping from her past and trying to build a new life amongst the ex-pats is twisty and gripping. I couldn't see the ending coming at all. There's also a lot more humour, which makes the book great fun. There are some classic lines in there. The authoress reviews crime fiction for the Daily Mail and she clearly knows her onions.

In conclusion, buy it!

iWork '09 Retail
iWork '09 Retail
Offered by YOYOS

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor compatibility with office documents - don't buy unless you work in a mac-dominanted environment, 2 May 2011
This review is from: iWork '09 Retail (DVD-ROM)
After making the switch from windows to mac 5 months ago and buying iwork, I have finally needed to uninstall it and get the office for mac package. I'm an independent consultant and need to exchange word and powerpoint documents with clients and colleagues backwards and forwards, and there are lots of compatibility problems. You can save pages and keynote documents as word or powerpoint, but still many tables, graphics, etc are changed, not recognised or corrupted.
Also if you save documents as the office version instead of the mac version, it is not recognised in the "open recent" menu. So when you open , say, pages and you want to come back to the last document you worked on, unless you remember exactly the name and where you saved it, it is not easy to find it because it doesn't show it in "recent documents". Also once you have saved it as .doc or .ppt and you want to save it again, the default saving location and the default name are not the ones you used when you saved it as word or powerpoint, but the location and name of the last .pages or .key document you last worked on, even if it was a completely different document. I can't tell you the amount of time I spent just searching for documents because they ended up in the wrong folder. To avoid this, the only option is to keep 2 versions of each document, one in mac version and one in office version, and then making sure they both have the same content. Far too much hassle for me.
It may be that iwork programmes are better products stand alone in terms of design than office. However if you're a seasoned office user, it is actually quite tricky to unlearn and then learn again how everything works in iwork. Simple things like formatting an object or changing bullets to me seem more complicated in iwork than in their office counterparts, because you have to open the "inspector' menu rather than clicking on the icon in the windows ribbon. I can't really see much improvement from word and excel to pages and numbers. Keynote seems to have more multimedia functionality and a very good design, but during the last 5 months it has been tricky enough to learn how to do the things I was able to do in powerpoint, so i never actually got round to the more "wow' functions of keynote. If it had been fully compatible, I would have persevered but for me there isn't much point in creating great graphics in keynote if my clients are going to see them distorted or corrupted. I can see iwork being a good choice if you can create standalone documents and exchange them in pdf format, or if everybody in your sector uses mac. If your clients are in a windows-dominanted environment, for me the discussion of which product is better designed is futile. If you're in the same situation, be warned. I bought iwork on the back of the very good reviews but I wish somebody would have told me about the compatibility problems.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 17, 2012 12:01 PM BST