Profile for Thomas Cunliffe > Reviews

Content by Thomas Cunliffe
Top Reviewer Ranking: 56

Thomas Cunliffe "Committed to reading" (Sussex, England)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Through it All I've Always Laughed: Memoirs of Count Arthur Strong
Through it All I've Always Laughed: Memoirs of Count Arthur Strong
by Count Arthur Strong

5.0 out of 5 stars If you've enjoyed listening to Count Arthur Strong on radio or watching ..., 27 April 2015
If you've enjoyed listening to Count Arthur Strong on radio or watching the recent tv series, then you'll enjoy reading this book. I came to it not expecting that the character would transfer all that well to book form, but I was pleasantly surprised. The book takes the form of autobiography with Arthur telling his life story with many anecdotes about his career on the stage. His capacity for exagerration and general inacuraccy is hilarious at times and includes many satirical portraits of other performers.

I loved the story of how he discovered that his agent had retired and then visited him in an old-people's home, only to get locked in over-night himself. Classic Count Arthur Strong which made me laugh out loud.

Congratulations to Steve Delaney and Graham Lineham on their marvellous comic creation, now turned to literary giant. I await the next volume with keen anticipation.

The Lady from Zagreb (Bernie Gunther Mystery 10)
The Lady from Zagreb (Bernie Gunther Mystery 10)
by Philip Kerr

5.0 out of 5 stars Bernie Guther returns to face new challenges, 23 April 2015
I have read most of Philip Kerr's Bernie Gunther novels and am pleased to say that The Lady From Zagreb is the one I have enjoyed the most. Perhaps Kerr's writing style has matured over the years, or perhaps it's just my familiarity with Bernie, but this time, the Berlin detective seemed a wonderfully well-rounded character with the usual mix of humour, cynicism and hard-boiled pragmatism about him. Let me say at the start of this review, that although there are nine other novels in this series, you could start by reading this one as all the background you need is included in the novel.

This time we see Bernie on a special commission from Joseph Goebells. Goebells wants glamorous actress Dalia Dresner to appear in his new film, but there is a small matter of the actresses great desire to trace her missing father who is believed to be in Croatia.

In meeting the beautiful Dalia to find out more about her father, Bernie finds her attractions irresistible and gets far more involved with her than he ever imagined. He agrees to go to Croatia in search of her father and before long we find him travelling through a bandit country steeped in wartime horrors and killings to equal anything he met in his earlier travels.

Mission completed, Bernie returns to Germany with terrible news about Dalia's father. Dalia is now in Switzerland with her huaband and Goebells despatches Bernie off to that neutral country only to discover that there is no love for Germans there and it is a hotbed of diplomatic intrigue and manoevering.

To say any more would be to spoil the book and all I will say is that this is the best book I have read this year. It is quite long (nearly 500 pages) but I was never bored or felt it was over-long.

A useful appendix at the bag provides some historical background to the events described and shows the length's Philip Kerr goes to in order to write authentic context for his books.

Dethlac Insect Lacquer Killer spray, kills ants, woodlice, cockroaches and other crawling insects--250ml
Offered by LightingandMobileAccessoriesUK

5.0 out of 5 stars The best effective treatment ants, 21 April 2015
I've been using Dethlac for years and find its the only thing which lets me win the yearly battle with ants. We live in a house which is surrounded by ants, you just have to step outside to find them running around paving stones and coming out of little cracks on paths. Every year they launch an attack on our house, somehow finding a way in through doors or tiny holes by skirting boards etc. As soon as I see them I get a can of Dethlac and spray all round the entrances to the house - right round all the door frames, along window ledges and any ventilator bricks or extractor fan grills. Within a couple of days I've won the battle completely and don't see any more ants in the house for months although I sometimes top up the coating on door sills.

I have found Dethlac is the only effective treatment against ants in the house.

AUSDOM® M07 Rumble Enhanced-Bass Bluetooth Over-ear Stereo Folding Wireless Headphones with Headset Functionality(Black)
Offered by Gedigitech

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality blue-tooth headphones, 20 April 2015
I am very pleased with my Ausdom M07 headphones. They give a very good sound quality and are comfortable to wear. They give the impression of being a very high quality product with good manufacturing standards all round.

Battery life seems to be very good - I gave them an initial charge and have used them for over a week without having to recharge them so the 14 hour play-back time claimed on the description could well be correct. The range is also very good and I can leave my tablet streaming music in one room of the house and go from room to room without losing the Bluetooth signal.

The headphones are fully adjustable and fit snugly over the ears. The padding round the ear is quite thick and provides good insulation from noises around you as well as making the headphones quite comfortable to wear. The headphones fold down for storage so would be quite easy to put away in a carry-bag.

They pair very quickly and easily with my Android tablet by holding down the play/pause button for four seconds. I didn't realise at first that you have to do this with the unit turned off otherwise holding the play/pause button down merely turnd it off but once I had understood this it was fine and paired straightaway.

The packaging is very good - a very solid box which contains the headphones, a micro USB cable for charging and the user manual.

I have no hesitation in recommending these Audom M07 as high quality bluetooth headphones.

iGadgitz Xtra Lumin 300 Portable 300lm LED Lantern with 1 Year Warranty
iGadgitz Xtra Lumin 300 Portable 300lm LED Lantern with 1 Year Warranty
Offered by iGadgitz

5.0 out of 5 stars A great lanter for home, garden and the great outdoors, 19 April 2015
I was very pleased when I opened the box this lantern comes in to discover a well-made and attractive LED lantern. I inserted the three batteries required and was immediately impressed with the light emitted. Later that day I took the lantern out to my garden shed and when I turned on the lantern it gave a very powerful light quite adequate for me to be able to work in the shed in the evening.

The battery compartment is at the base of the unit and twists off quite easily for replacement of the batteries. A sturdy handle folds upwards so you can carry the lantern easily or hang it from a hook. There is another fold-out handle at the bottom of the unit if you wished to hang it upside-down. The top twists off if you just want to use the dome bulb inside without the reflector.

The large on/off button the front has four modes - off, low-light, full-light and flashing. The reflector inside the lamp enables it to give 360 degrees of lighting so you could put it in the middle of a camping table for example and it would light the whole tent. If you lose the lamp there is a green LED pulse indicator to help you to locate it in the dark.

The outer covering is rubberised so I assume that offers some protection if it is dropped accidentally. It is nice to know that the whole thing is water-resistant which presumable means that it will be ok if exposed to a light rain shower.

It says on the box that the batteries last 56 hours on full light or 144 hours on low.

A great product offering good value for money. It would be very useful around the home or outdoors.

Compression Knee Sleeve/Knee Support (1 Piece) - Use Coupon Code TWOFOR20 To Get 2 Sleeves for ONLY £20! - FREE Ebook with Any Purchase! - Alleviates Pain, Increases Blood Flow to the Knee, Keeps Knee Warm, and Helps You Recover Faster! For Use While Running, Cycling, CrossFit, at the Gym, and Even Daily Wear!
Offered by Alpha Athletica UK

5.0 out of 5 stars A lightweight knee support providing warmth and comfort during activities, 19 April 2015
This is a classic nylon/spandex knee support which offers warmth and gentle support over the whole of the knee area.

The support is easy to put on and stays in place once you have pulled it up far enough. I already have a neoprene knee support which is much thicker which I used when I had injured my knee. I see the product under review as a more "maintenance" support which you can wear unobtrusively, hardly noticing it is there.

It is perfect for activities I take part in like hill-walking and cycling and give a comfortable feeling around my knee joint and an assurance that the knee is fairly stable due to the wrap-around support provided.

It is important to make sure you buy the right size for your knee. Follow the instructions on the product description and you will make sure you get the right one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 20, 2015 4:18 AM BST

VETRA Focus Duffel Bag Sports Bags Size Medium Club Team Personal equipment bag M Soccer Football Gym Basketball Travel Duffle Bags NEW (Black)
Offered by Sport-Items

5.0 out of 5 stars A useful high-performance sports-bag, 15 April 2015
This is a very well-made bag suitable for gym or other sports uses, and also as a general high-capacity bag you could take on a journey.

It has a zipped pocket at each end, one of which has a mesh panel for ventilation (useful if you're putting anything damp in it. It has two straps with a velcro fastener at the top for carrying the bag in one hand and also a padded shoulder which you can attach with the rings provided. The zips are nylon and look quite substantial.

The bag looks smart with printed Vetra logos in white. When not in use the bag folds down small for easy storage.

This bag serves my purposes fine and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a high-performance, lightweight gym-bag.

Charles Wilson Jersey Cotton Striped Polo Shirt
Charles Wilson Jersey Cotton Striped Polo Shirt
Offered by Charles Wilson Clothing

5.0 out of 5 stars I am very pleased with this Charles Wilson polo shirt in jersey cotton, 29 Mar. 2015
I am very pleased with this Charles Wilson polo shirt in jersey cotton. It is ideal summer-wear and the striped fabric make it ideal for any outdoor activity - a bit different to the usual plain colours which many people wear.

The shirt is fantastic value at the price offered on Amazon. The blue colour I chose looks very nice and the jersey material gives it a soft feel and makes it very comfortable to wear. It is 100% cotton and is fully machine-washable.

I ordered it in large and the size is just what I would expect - the fit is quite generous and like other Charles Wilson garments, the manufacturers have not skimped on the materials.

A fine product which would be a great gift for any man or just perfect for your own summer wear.

Charles Wilson Pique Cotton Contrast Polo Shirt
Charles Wilson Pique Cotton Contrast Polo Shirt
Offered by Charles Wilson Clothing

5.0 out of 5 stars This polo shirt is fantastic value at the price offered on Amazon, 29 Mar. 2015
This Charles Wilson "contrast" polo is a classic polo shirt made from 100% cotton with a contrasting white "placket" underneath the buttons.

This polo shirt is fantastic value at the price offered on Amazon. The balck colour I chose looks very smart and is ideal for wearing on it's own or under a jackeet or jumper on a cooler day. The pique material is classic polo-shirt fabric and has the benefit of being quite airy on a hot day. I am pleased to see that it is machine-washable.

I ordered it in large and the size is just what I would expect - the fit is generous and shows that Charles Wilson have not skimped on the materials.

Charles Wilson "Heritage" Premium Pique Cotton Polo Shirt
Charles Wilson "Heritage" Premium Pique Cotton Polo Shirt
Price: £10.00 - £17.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A quality product and fantastic value, 29 Mar. 2015
This Charles Wilson "Heritage Range" polo is a classic polo shirt made from 100% cotton.

This polo shirt is fantastic value at the price offered on Amazon. The navy ("sovreign blue") colour I chose looks very smart and the pique finish allows air to pass through the material on hot days. Ideal for summer-wear.

I ordered it in large and the size is just what I would expect - the fit is actually quite generous and allows for some shrinkage due to washing over time. I usually find large size from the major chain stores fits me fine and this one is the same, so Charles Wilson have obviously not skimped on the materials.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20