Profile for A Common Reader > Reviews

Content by A Common Reader
Top Reviewer Ranking: 49

A Common Reader "Committed to reading" (Sussex, England)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Vetra Focus Classic Athletic T-shirt Black / Navy / White Gym Sport Training Mens Soccer Football Jersey Dry-fast Short Sleeves Tee Shirts Lightwhight Cool Fit New
Offered by Sport-Items

5.0 out of 5 stars A great value and quality sports t-shirt, 5 Jan. 2015
This is a very good value sports t-shirt. It is made of a dry-fast material with aerated side panels. The manufacturing seems fine with a nice crew neck and strong seams.

It looks very smart in black and is ultra-lightweight. Ideal for running, athletics or other sports, I will use mine for cycling hill-walking in summer. You can of course wear it as general casual wear in summer, or under another garment in winter.

Perfect for travelling it rolls up really small and can be put in the pocket of a ruck-sack with no difficulty and you could rinse it out easily and dry it in no time.

A great sports t-shirt which looks just fine and will keep you cool while doing the most strenuous exercise.

Ravensburger London Thames Viewpoint (1000 Pieces)
Ravensburger London Thames Viewpoint (1000 Pieces)
Offered by Buy-For-Less-Online

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent 1000 piece puzzle, 31 Dec. 2014
As with all Ravensburger puzzles, this is a very high quality product. The painting by Alexander Chen is very detailed and as I did the puzzle I enjoyed working out where all the building are (using my knowledge of London). In the foreground you see Blackfriars bridge, with St Pauls Cathedral to the left and the Gherkin office building towards the centre.

There is a reasonable amount of sky and water in the puzzle but a careful eye can detect differences in colour and texture so it is not too difficult to do. There is plenty of detail in the buildings which makes it relatively easy to work on them.

I would say this is an excellent puzzle for anyone who likes the challenge of a 1000 piece puzzle. The completed picture looks fantastic and it is very rewarding to see it finished.

Forefront Cases® New Leather Shell Case Cover for Amazon Kindle Voyage (November 2014) - Full device protection and Smart Auto Sleep Wake function with 3 YEAR Forefront CASES WARRANTY
Offered by Forefront Cases

5.0 out of 5 stars A very impressive case and fantastic value., 31 Dec. 2014
I had a case very like this for my old Kindle Paperwhite and when the Voyage came out I was disappointed to find that the Amazon case (Origami) was top opening rather than the side opening like my Paperwhite case. I quick search on Amazon soon brought up this Forefront case and as the reviews were good I decided to give it a try. I am now wondering how Amazon every got away with charging three times as much for my Paperwhite case for this one is just as good in terms of quality, durability and general usefulness.

The magnets not only hold the case firmly closed but also act on the Voyage to turn it on and off when you open and close the case. There is also a hole at the back of the case so you can operate the power switch on the Kindle should you wish to do so. The shell construction fits the Voyage perfectly and I am confident that the Kindle will never fall out of it.

The colour range is good and I am impressed that the case has a manufacturers three years warranty should anything go wrong with it.

Altogether, a very impressive product which I am sure will be as durable as the Kindle itself (although I am now on my THIRD kindle due to product failure!).

ERGOPLAY JOHANNES TAPPERT METAL GUITAR REST Guitars accessories Other accessories
Offered by SchneiderMusic

5.0 out of 5 stars This classical guitarist will never want to go back to a footstool, 31 Dec. 2014
I have been playing classical guitar for many years, using a footstool to raise my left leg to support the guitar. It is always a nuisance to have to carry a footstool around with me and recently I have noticed on YouTube, that many German guitarists use a guitar rest instead of a footstool. I began to investigate and soon found the Ergoplay guitar rest on Amazon and sent off for one. It took a week or two to arrive (it was despatched from Germany), but this didn't matter to me as I knew that the company was reliable and it would get to me eventually.

I have now been using the guitar rest for a couple of weeks and I have to say, it has transformed my playing. I love not having to use a foot rest. I can now sit in any chair and play the guitar just where I am, without having to hunt for the foot-rest and set it to the appropriate height. The position of the guitar seems to be just the same as when I use a foot-rest, but both my feet are planted firmly on the ground.

My guitar is finished with nitrocellulose lacquer and so far I can detect no marking from the suction pads which secure the rest to the body. I doubt that marking will occur but to be honest, I would be prepared to tolerate some slight marking because the rest is so convenient to use and I don't think I will ever go back to a foot-stool.

The simple thumbscrew on the guitar rest makes it very easy to adjust. I usually play on a dining chair but if I want to play on a sofa or casual chair, I just lower the rest a little using the thumbscrew.

Although this rest is not cheap, it does seem to be made of very high quality materials. I anticipate that I will never have to buy another one as this one should last many years.

This rest has transformed the way I play guitar and I only wish I had found it years ago.

OxyLED® Q6 Portable 4-Level Brightness LED Lamp /Lantern, Rechargeable USB Charging + Built-in Battery for Fishing /Camping /Hiking /Tent / Emergency - White
Offered by Elecsmart

5.0 out of 5 stars A powerful, easy to use lamp which is highly effective at what it does, 31 Dec. 2014
This is an incredibly useful lamp which I intend to use:

- in the summer house when I want to go outside and read in the evening
- during a power-cut when it will provide enough light to illuminate a room
- while outdoors in the garden at night
- as a night-light when moving around a rented house on holiday

I don't go camping in a tent any more but this lamp would have been so useful in a tent where you could hang it from the roof of the tent using one or both of the lanyards.

I already have a lamp like this with a flourescent tube and operated by replaceable batteries. This OxyLED lamp is so much better because it used LED lamps which are far more durable and use much less power. I won't be using my fluorescent tube lamp now that I have this OyyLED lamp - it is rechargeable so I will never have to buy batteries for it and also, the light is more powerful.

I have not tested the durability of the lamp but being LED I would think it would easily withstand being dropped or otherwise mistreated.

The lamp comes in a very solid cardboard tube which I will retain to keep the lamp in while travelling. Inside the tube I found

- the lamp itself
- a USB/mini-USB charging cable
- two attachable lanyards for each end of the lamp
- printed instructions

I plugged the charging cable into my computer and a flashing red LED light told me that the unit was charging up. This took about two hours. Once it is charged, the power will last up between 3 and 72 hours depending on the brightness setting I choose for the lamp (there are four brightness settings and one setting for an intermittent flash). I could have plugged the USB into a mains charging USB plug (not supplied, but you may already have one).

This is an excellent product which will be incredibly useful on many occasions throughout the year.

Tekterm Professional Unidirectional Dynamic Handheld 15' Wired Microphone
Tekterm Professional Unidirectional Dynamic Handheld 15' Wired Microphone
Offered by Appods

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good value for a general use microphone, 22 Dec. 2014
This is a very professionally presented microphone - very smart and extremely robust, with zinc alloy metal construction and a steel mesh grill it should be able to withstand all the mistreatment which occurs on a typical gig. It comes with a fifteen foot long cable which is plenty for most purposes and has the usual connectors you would expect (quarter inch or 6.3mm plug).

The sound produced from the microphone is solid and clear with a full range of tones coming through. It's nice and unidirectional and doesn't pick up too much extraneous noise from the side. I've not run tests as I don't have the equipment to do so, but I strongly suspect that in average conditions in a public club or hall, it would be difficult to tell the difference between this microphone and a far more expensive one. I'm not saying you'd want to use it in a recording studio but even then, I'm sure it would be good enough for the audio on a YouTube video or a live recording.

This is a fantastic value microphone which provides high quality audio from my amplifier (used for singing). I would guess that if you needed three or four mikes for a stage set up, these would be absolutely fine and would save you a huge amount of money over a top brand. I am sure that experts will say that it is not as good as much more expensive brands, but for general use it is absolutely fine and for me as an amateur musician I am completely satisfied with it.

Chocolate Picture Maker Bar (Pack of 2)
Chocolate Picture Maker Bar (Pack of 2)
Offered by The Dragons Den

5.0 out of 5 stars A fanatastic present for girls or boys who like making things in the kitchen, 22 Dec. 2014
My two grand-daughters (4 and 6) think that Chocolate Picture Maker is absolutely wonderful - a perfect way of spending an hour or so in Grandma or Grandpa-guided craft activity with a deliciously edible result at the end (an older child could do it without any supervision).

Inside the pack, you have the materials to make TWO delicious, self-designed chocolate bars. Not only this, the process is totally child-friendly - the chocolate is melted just with warm water so there is need to heat chocolate in a pan and no need for any other kitchen equipment.

The idea is you have a plastic rectangular tray for each bar and three bags of chocolate - dark, milk and white. Then you warm the bags of chocolate in tap-warm water for five minutes or so. You then take out the dark chocolate bag and snip off a tiny corner. You draw round a paper stencil (sixteen of these are provided or you can make your own) with the dark chocolate, producing an outline of the design. You then fill inside the dark chocolate lines with white chocolate. Then finally you fill outside the design and up to the edges of the tray with milk chocolate.

The whole lot then goes in the fridge for a while and then when you bring it out you have a delicious chocolate bar, personalised with the child's own design. AND the chocolate is very good too - the real Belgian thing with no nasty additives.

The website for Chocolate Picture Maker is worth visiting and contains many more free stencils you could use plus a competition and videos.

Altogether a fantastic present for birthdays or Christmas, or perhaps that occasional family visit to relatives when the kids can get busy in the kitchen without fear of a terrible mess to clear up.

Cambridge Audio G2 MINI Portable Bluetooth Speaker Active
Cambridge Audio G2 MINI Portable Bluetooth Speaker Active
Offered by Cambridge Audio

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good for a small room and highly portable, 15 Dec. 2014
I have had several blue-tooth speakers on review and also have purchased a couple. I wanted something which was smaller in size than the £200 range of speakers but still with plenty of punch, so I got hold of this G2 mini. It is very solidly constructed and satisfyingly heavy for it's size. It worked straight away after an initial charge, and paired with my tablet instantly.

I would say that while the sound is much better than the very tiny blue tooth speakers it is nowhere near as good as the top of the range speakers you can get. I have a Logitech U Boombox for example, which knocks the spots of this G2 mini, both in volume and bass response. I used the Logitech for an outdoor barbecue this summer and it was perfectly adequate, but the G2 Mini just has nowhere near the volume of bass to be able to cope with such an event.

As for the sound, it is very good with some music not so good with others. I listen to solo guitar recordings quite a bit and the mid-range sounds a little muddy and I have to fiddle with my graphic equaliser app to get it sounding right. It's very good for speech on the other hand. This is a common problem with all these Bluetooth speaker and I think it would be much better if they had a tone adjustment preset button on them so you could adjust the sound without having to fiddle around with the phone or tablet.

I would question whether a device like this needs the telephone buttons on top - how many people would use them? They only serve to clutter up the controls in my view. At one end of the strip of switches is the Bluetooth button and at the other end is the power switch, with the phone button and volume buttons in between. As the unit is all black it is difficult to see which one is which and you have to check the front of the speaker to look for the Cambridge audio label to see which way around it is. Similarly you can't tell whether you're turning the volume up or down without studying the unit. One slightly annoying feature is that if you turn the speaker off and on, the unit unsets what ever volume setting you've chosen so you have to reset it again if you want it loud.

Despite my reservations, the G2 Mini gives the impression of being very solidly constructed and is a quality product. Just bear in mind that it is still quite small and with the best will in the world, you can only get so much from a device this size. If you want really good, loud, bassy sound you'll have to go up in price a bit in my view.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great good value sports t-shirt, 15 Dec. 2014

Vetra Sports Squeeze Water Bottle Leakproof Valve Hydration 650 ML Clear/Black/Blue Running Cycling Bike Soccer Football NEW
Offered by Sport-Items

5.0 out of 5 stars All the features you could want in a water bottle, 15 Dec. 2014
This water bottle has all the features you could want. Firstly, it no water leaks out of it, either from the rim of the cap, or from the nozzle itself. You can fill it with water, turn it upside down and shake it and nothing comes out of it. This means that it can fall over on the seat of a car and you won't get wet upholstery - unlike so many other water bottles I have tried.

Secondly, When you take the cap off you can easily get ice cubes inside it - essential for a summer's bike ride or run.

Thirdly, with a capacity of 650ml it really is big enough to take water on a longish journey.

Fourthly, it really doesn't make the water taste of plastic (read the specification and you will see it designed to avoid the plastic taste).

There is no point at all in buying bottled water when you have a water bottle like this. UK tap water is among the cleanest in the world. If you think that tap water has a chlorine taste, just fill a jug and let it stand for an hour in the fridge and the chlorine will evaporate, then fill the water bottle. Think how much money you will save with this water bottle!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20