Profile for DM Willcocks > Reviews

Content by DM Willcocks

DM Willcocks

Mad in America: Bad Science, Bad Medicine, and the Enduring Mistreatment of the Mentally Ill
by Robert Whitaker

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 27 Mar 2013
I very strongly recommend this book. its extremely well written and a real eye opener into how we have been failing people with mental health difficulties for years and how we are duped by the drugs companies and the powers that be. This book and Robert's other book on the subject An Anatomy of an Epidemic should be read by every prescriber of psychotropic medications. It is scary stuff and a massive issue. I do not usually do reviews but this is so important that the information and the facts that he presents need to be out there and to be acted on by policy makers and the profession as a whole. Go out and but theses books!!

Anatomy of an Epidemic: Magic Bullets, Psychiatric Drugs, and the Astonishing Rise of Mental Illness in America
by Robert Whitaker

5.0 out of 5 stars A Revelation! A book that everyone in delivering care to the distressed in the Psychiatric Services Should read., 27 Mar 2013
I would strongly recommend this book to patients doctors nurses, infact anyone involved with psychotropic medication and its use. It is a very scary revealing book full of facts that should not be ignored. Policy makers particularly need to read this book. If you have felt that the way we deal with mental distress in this country is some how flawed this book will confirm those doubts and awaken you to a better way.
I have worked as a psychiatric nurse for over 30 years and this book has helped change my thinking radically.I urge you to buy this book and read it. It is very well written and covers most of the conditions and medications in psychiatry and in general practice used for mental health issues. It looks at the evidence for the long term outcomes and at alternatives to medication. I have never been moved to write a review before but I have to highly recommend this book to everyone as this is a massive issue!