Profile for P. Birch > Reviews

Content by P. Birch

P. Birch (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Programming in C (Developer's Library)
Programming in C (Developer's Library)
by Stephen Kochan
Price: 21.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written, 9 May 2012
The writer has a nice style that made the book easy to read. I bought this when I first moved from Windows to Linux for my home PC and was looking for a new programming language to replace VB6. Learning C or C++ seemed like a good idea but I soon realised that although they will produce high performance applications, they are quite verbose and not the most productive. I didn't finish reading the book as I've now moved onto Python, however I do occasionally refer to it when using others' source code for inspiration.

Gelert Freedom 300Dl Sleeping Bag, Red/Anthracite - Left Zip
Gelert Freedom 300Dl Sleeping Bag, Red/Anthracite - Left Zip

3.0 out of 5 stars Tight!, 9 May 2012
I'm a big built lad and can barely get inside the thing and when I do, I can't move! It is warm but I couldn't get comfortable. Will be placed in a black bag and thrown into the attic as I doubt that I will ever use it again.

Panasonic U-20E Dust Bags for Models E40,E400,E50,E500 Pack of 5 (disposable)
Panasonic U-20E Dust Bags for Models E40,E400,E50,E500 Pack of 5 (disposable)
Offered by EL Lewis Home Stores
Price: 2.01

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT genuine Panasonic, 9 May 2012
Description is a little misleading as it says "by: Panasonic" and doesn't state anywhere that these are actually Electruepart bags. To be honest, at this price I wasn't expecting genuine parts but I also bought 20 Electruepart bags for only 8.59 elsewhere on Amazon...

Silverline 955430 1/4-inch Straight Metric Cutter 18 x 20mm
Silverline 955430 1/4-inch Straight Metric Cutter 18 x 20mm
Price: 6.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Did the job without any fuss, 22 Feb 2012
Bought this router bit to rebate the shelves on an 18mm thick MDF unit I was making. It cut fine and accurately and didn't clog up. It is still as sharp as the day it arrived, although it has only cut around 3 Metres worth of rebates. I don't normally buy Silverline tools as they're generally poor quality but I bought this cheap router bit for a one-off job. It's done the job I wanted AND may get used again sometime in the future.

Akasa AK-865 CPU cooler AMD Socket 754/939/940/AM2/AM2+
Akasa AK-865 CPU cooler AMD Socket 754/939/940/AM2/AM2+
Price: 6.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Good VFM, 4 Jan 2012
I bought this to replace a water cooled system on an old AMD3000 that I was rebuilding for a project. It stops the CPU overheating...which is all I want it to do. It's not designed for heavy or intensive use. If you're into gaming or other heavy CPU usage, buy a cooler suitable for the job.

Mens Quadra Life Hi-Tec Trail Shoes. - Brown - UK 11
Mens Quadra Life Hi-Tec Trail Shoes. - Brown - UK 11

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent shoes, 4 Jan 2012
I generally buy hiking/walking type shoes for "loafing about" as I'm not keen on the white and colourful running/training type shoes that most people buy to go with their velvet tracksuits...

These go well with jeans and always take me home after a night in the pub.

LG 42LK450U 42-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD TV with Freeview
LG 42LK450U 42-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD TV with Freeview

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful, 4 Jan 2012
I bought this TV in December 2010 and had no major problems with it so far. The picture was a little blurry for the first few days, but is now sharp and clear. I've read that this is normal behaviour for a new LCD screen. Only disappointments are:

1. I've just discovered that the built-in Freeview receiver is NOT HD capable. I had assumed that a "Full HD" TV would automatically have a HD receiver. In reality, it is only a HD TV if you input a HD signal from a Skybox, Playstation, Xbox, Blueray, etc, via one of the HDMI ports. Seems pretty pointless having a HD TV that cannot decode a HD TV signal. It is what it was advertised as...but beware that you will need to buy more equipment to watch anything in HD.

2. There are occasional software glitches, particularly when viewing teletext. For instance, sometimes when changing the page number, the "OK" button or fast text colour buttons do nothing, however manually typing the number works fine.

In hindsight, I would of bought a TV with FreeviewHD built-in, but this time last year, I was just upgrading from Analogue to Digital and didn't know that some HD TVs couldn't decode a HD TV signal. Seems crazy (or a crafty sales tactic) to me, but I guess you get what you pay for...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 8, 2012 11:14 AM GMT

RUCK SACK CHAIR BAG
RUCK SACK CHAIR BAG
Offered by Fishing Republic Company UK
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for roaming, 7 Feb 2011
This review is from: RUCK SACK CHAIR BAG (Misc.)
Bought this as I mostly fish on local rivers and walking a few miles with a normal seat box can be uncomfortable and awkward. Best bit of fishing kit I ever bought! The padded straps make it really comfortable to carry and leaves both hands free for carrying rod holdalls, nets, bait, etc. The seat is comfortable but not luxurious. The pockets are ideal for small boxes such as hooks, floats and weights and a 0.5l Thermos flask fits snugly in one of the side pockets. The bag is water proof and has been used on a day when it rained none stop. The contents remained dry apart from the water that entered when the dripping fisherman was rummaging about! I sometimes think the bag is a bit small, however it makes you think about what kit you REALLY need and saves you carrying another 10Kg of stuff that you won't use.

Perfect for the roaming fisherman but might not be big enough if you like to carry twice as much kit as you need.

Panasonic ES7102A511 Men's Rechargeable Shaver - Blue and Silver
Panasonic ES7102A511 Men's Rechargeable Shaver - Blue and Silver

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable, 7 Feb 2011
This shaver was bought for me as a Christmas present and I have used it for 5 weeks. Over the last 20 years, I've owned two Philishaves and a Remington R970. All of these shavers use the triple head "lift n' cut" style heads. Having read good things about foil shavers, I decided to shop around and after a lot of research decided to buy the Panasonic ES7102. It's a well made piece of equipment and looks and feels like a quality item, however it doesn't shave anywhere near as good as the triple headed shavers I have used before. I normally shave every 2 or 3 days and used this shaver for 5 weeks to allow my face to adjust to the new style. Having just re-tried my old Remington R970 on 3 days' worth of growth, my face is now much smoother and it took me half the time to shave.

For a foil shaver, this is a good quality one but in all honesty I will never buy another foil shaver.

Ocean Potion Aloe Vera Gel 590 ml
Ocean Potion Aloe Vera Gel 590 ml
Offered by Cosmetic Solutions Inc.
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for eczema, 2 Sep 2010
I am 35 years old and have suffered from eczema all my life. I have found that Aloe Vera products help my eczema a lot, although it can be fairly expensive. While searching for low cost Aloe Vera products, I came across Ocean Potion Aloe Vera. I was disappointed to discover that it is NOT 100% Aloe Vera gel, however it actually worked BETTER than pure Aloe Vera for my very dry and itchy skin. In particular, it stops me itching which is a major key to eczema treatment. I put this on after washing or showering and my eczema has almost cleared up completely.

Ingredients as listed on the bottle:

Water, Glycerin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Oil, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Polysorbate 20, DMDM Hydantoin, Phenoxyethanol, Methyl (&) Propyl Parabens, Triethanolamine, FD&C Yellow No. 5, FD&C Blue No. 1, Fragrance.

Note that products with fragrance in them normally irritate my skin, however this one has been fine. It has a pleasant orange/lemon scent which I assume is from the Peel Oil. If you have eczema or dermatitis which is irritated by regular washing (I work in engineering, so wash my hands many times per day), then I highly recommend trying this product.

Page: 1 | 2