Profile for Alex Wight > Reviews

Content by Alex Wight

Alex Wight "ledzep99" (Sheffield, UK)

Till The Sun Turns Black
Till The Sun Turns Black
Offered by Qoolist

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than Trouble..., 11 Feb. 2007
When Trouble eventually hit popular music it was a real fresh breath of air in this impersonal world of music we live in. There was now a musician with real soul, an unmistakable voice that could at times be very rough, but at the same time, very beautiful. I liked it.

The problem with the first album (brilliant as it was) was it was ever so slightly inconsistent.

When I heard Ray'd branched out into a bigger sound with more instruments, I was so sure he'd found a winning formula before that I didn't know whether I'd be happy purchasing it.

However, the 11 songs on Til... perfectly fit together into a throughly enjoyable and very moving 48 minutes of your life.

From the first three songs it's obvious he's gone for a bigger, fuller sound on the second album.

Be here now is a delicate string heavy opener and sets the mood for a more bitter LaMontagne. Three more days is a good old fashioned mix of country, folk, soul and blues.

Can I stay is another example of his voice being showcased by strings rather than the opinion various people have that his new sound is "over produced". It is also profoundly moving and demands to be played again straight away. You can bring me flowers, gone away from me and lesson learned are Ray at his angriest and most revealing.

The title track is another extremly moving song and within you is the perfect ending for an album with no standout tracks.

Some genres of music are meant for certain occasions, feelings and times in a person's life.

The great thing about Ray is that there's so much to choose from and there aren't many innapropriate times to listen to him, compared to most music.