Profile for R. Dennis > Reviews

Serenity - Those Left Behind
by Joss Whedon
Price: 6.90

3.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunate let down, 4 Aug 2006
I first heard about Firefly and Serenity about 9 months ago and since then I've been hooked. The characters, the setting, the dialogue, all of it is the product of a great imagination and genuinely talented writing. After watching the TV series and the film I craved more which is why I was so happy to discover this comic collection.

Unfortunately it isn't anywhere near the heady heights of its filmed counterparts. Set in between the events of Firefly and Serenity it aims to create a bridging plot. Unfortunately it does not achieve this. I found the story dull, with nothing there to keep my interest going. It neither asked nor answered any questions of the characters and I felt really let down by the end.

Having said that, the artwork is extremely close to the look of the film and some of the dialogue is close to normal Joss Whedon standards. I'm glad I read it, just because I enjoy Firefly so much, but don't expect to be blown away in the same ways that Firefly and Serenity managed.

Shock & Awe: Live at Oxford Playhouse, 11 November ,1992
Shock & Awe: Live at Oxford Playhouse, 11 November ,1992
Offered by Giant Entertainment
Price: 7.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Bill stuff, 7 April 2004
As always Bill Hicks delivers superb social commentary and comic timing in this album recorded in Oxford Playhouse. It is the only album of his that is recorded in England, which gives it some novelty value and it's interesting to hear how he tailors his jokes and how the audience react slightly differently to those in America.
However if you own either Arizona Bay or Rant in E Minor then this purchase is a bit surplus, there is no really new material and I could quote some parts from the other two. But for devotees it is a must purchase for the 2 minutes of stuff you haven't heard. It gets 4 stars because it's Bill at his best, but nothing new.
Rant in E Minor is still the best for Goat Boy virgins, but this is just as good as any of the others.