Profile for S. Hurford > Reviews

Content by S. Hurford

S. Hurford "ceridwendilys" (Powys)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Village Candle Small Fragranced Candle Jar - 11 x 10 cm, 11 oz/701 g, Just For You - upto 55 hours burn time
Price: 10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely, 31 Dec 2013
A good price for a long lasting and wonderful smelling product. A really natural smell of fresh flowers. Lovely! I would recommend as a gift or for yourself.

Jasmine Nights
Jasmine Nights
by Julia Gregson
Price: 10.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good entertainment., 19 Aug 2012
This review is from: Jasmine Nights (Hardcover)
Set against the backdrop of the second world war this is ultimately a will they/won't they story of two people that are obviously besotted with one another. Saba, the main character is Welsh with a Turkish father who is very strict & forbids her to join up with ENSA (The Entertainments National Service Association which provided entertainment for British armed forces personnel during World War II), which will involve her travelling away from home & singing (which is her passion)for the Troops. She's previously sung in a hospital, where she's met an injured pilot called Dom & sparked something in him, which later ignites something more in both of them. So anyway she upsets her family life to follow her dreams & meets a whole lot of interesting characters Like the Marilyn Monroe-esque Arletta, who I loved & of course Dom features again. She gets swept away in a whole lot of stuff - including light espionage!
I liked the characters in the book, they are very varied & interesting, often with sad backgrounds but still doing their bit to carry on. Often the story is a little far fetched, but I didn't mind as it was so entertaining. Only one annoying gripe - Saba is Welsh/Turkish & it was a Britsh war, so less of the England/English references would have been good - I think on a couple of occassions Saba speaks of herself as English & I was thinking - what?? - Apart from that - great. Julia Grgson writes in a manner that kept me hooked.

Korres Abyssinia Oil Mascara 01 Black 8ml
Korres Abyssinia Oil Mascara 01 Black 8ml
Offered by ELITE TRADER & ESSENTIAL ATOMIZER
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 5 Jan 2012
I think Korres use good quality, natural ingredients & I believe that they are cruelty free too , which is worth knowing. I really like this mascara.Though the brush seems to always have a little 'clump' of product on the end which I have to get rid of before attempting to apply, once I have done this, the product goes on well and seems to do a good job of lengthening & volumising. It's also a fair bit cheaper than some brands, so credit where it's due.

Improvers Yoga Vol 1 - Instructional Audio yoga Class and guide Booklet
Improvers Yoga Vol 1 - Instructional Audio yoga Class and guide Booklet
by Sue Fuller
Edition: Audio CD
Price: 11.91

5.0 out of 5 stars V Useful, 30 Jan 2011
Much better than following a DVD, this CD is a godsend. Clear precise instructions on poses I am pretty familiar with. A good boost to my weekly class. Also comes with a useful booklet so you know what you are meant to look like & you can check if you are unsure. The instructor's voice is calm & clear. I also find the CD at an hour long, is a good length for me.

The Practical Encyclopedia of Yoga and Pilates
The Practical Encyclopedia of Yoga and Pilates
by Bel Gibbs

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 24 Jan 2011
This book is so informative with photos & a step by step approach to the postures. It gives you some background & has individual sections on yoga for children, yoga for pregnancy, meditation....to name but a few. Excellent.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Great looking boots, but..., 17 Mar 2010
I bought these for work as I thought they were going to be slightly more comfy than they were. I found them a little bit too high, despite the 'comfortable high heel' thing that Hush Puppies have going on. I also found it hard going doing up the buttons too, though they didn't feel too tight on when I had finally mastered this. They do look lovely & from my point of view are the sort of footwear to wear when going out for a meal, or somewhere you are not on your feet much. Lovely colour too. Perhaps someone who is better at wearing heels would do better with these shoes than I did!

Wedding Tiers
Wedding Tiers
by Trisha Ashley
Price: 5.24

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoying it..., 19 Jan 2010
This review is from: Wedding Tiers (Paperback)
I've nearly finished this book & am really enjoying it actually. It was a present & not sure if I would have picked it up otherwise. I like the fact that it's a warm cosy read & that Josie the lead character lives in the country & is into baking & looking after her garden. She's not the conventional 'sexy' character, living in a city & she's really likeable. I'll have to wait to see how it ends. But one thing that really annoyed me was (& this may be my own fault for looking) I started off reading & enjoying the book & just on a whim decided to read the back cover & it kind of gives away the first bit of the book which is a shame. I won't go over it now (it probably does the same in the synopsis at the top of the page but anyway)as I don't want to spoil it. My advice would be don't read the back of the book & just read the book. It's great.

2 days later - Now finished book & loved the ending! Will give it to charity I think, but am definitely going to copy a couple of the recipes in the back which is a really nice touch. I've never tried making my own battenberg cake before, but will give it a whirl!

Welsh Heritage Food and Cooking
Welsh Heritage Food and Cooking
by Annette Yates
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Present, 11 Jan 2010
This book was a birthday present. I hadn't seen it or heard of it before. I'm not usually such a fan of recipe books on the whole. Usually the recipes are too complicated & I usually make up recipes myself with whatever I have in the house. So it's great to actually be given a recipe book with lots of tasty do - able recipes. So far have only tried the braised beef which was very tasty, but have earmarked lots more to try. The dishes have good simple ingredients & don't look too complicated at all. Love the additional info too & hope to use this book lots more.Da iawn i chi Annette Yates!

The Brightest Star in the Sky
The Brightest Star in the Sky
by Marian Keyes

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 6 Jan 2010
I loved this book. It took me a couple of chapters to get into it, but when I got to 'know' the characters a bit it was really great. It was very diverse, with lots of different personalities from people in their twenties to old age. I really liked Matt & Maeve's story & found it really compelling as it unfurled. Also Lydia seems tough, but has such a lot to cope with. It goes to show there is often a lot going on behind the facade people sometimes put up & we really shouldn't judge people until we really know them. All that said & done, It was a lovely read, sad at times, with with a good ending that I really enjoyed. I guess unlike a lot of reviewers on here, I think Marian is getting better & better.

The Water Horse
The Water Horse
by Julia Gregson

3.0 out of 5 stars Would like to give 3.5 stars, but can't do half stars on Amazon!, 10 Aug 2009
This review is from: The Water Horse (Paperback)
This was in the main a well written book, that wasn't at all hard to get into & was very readable. I preferred the author's second book I think & this is purely down to personal taste. This book was just a bit too bleak for my tastes. Of course it is bound to be pretty bleak really as it's about the war in the Crimea & it certainly puts over the horror of war, with lots of descriptions about the injuries, the smell & the cold. This was certainly very vivid (being an animal lover, I found the descriptions of the poor horses very sad). I liked Catherine the main character a lot, but she has such an awful, awful time ( I won't give it away), that i'm not even sure the positive ending really makes up for that. I wasn't sure about the character of Deio, & didn't like him very much to be honest. I also thought that the 2 'main' characters weren't 'together' in the book very much at all, so the love between them wasn't anything I could pick up from their interaction with each other, it was something you gleaned from their being apart & missing each other. I thought that when they were together they could have had a bit more dialogue & interacted better.

A bit of a niggle too was the Welsh references which were a nice touch on the whole but some were a bit misplaced I felt. Why call the English woman in the village Eleri, when this is a Welsh name, doesn't really matter but it seemed a bit odd... Also the word 'hiraeth' is not pronounced 'hool' at all, I think the author is getting it mixed up with 'hwyl' , but they don't mean the same thing at all. I think the sing-song accent is also mentioned, but as Catherine is from North Wales, she wouldn't have such an accent. Just small things I know.

So to wrap up then I found this an interesting book, if a little bleak for my own tastes, I enjoyed the fact that the book had some Welsh references (ever the patriot), but wished they were a bit more 'correct'. That said I would give this book 7 out of 10 & would read more by Julia Gregson.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3