Profile for bookworm > Reviews

Unrepentant Geraldines
Unrepentant Geraldines
Offered by Amore DVD

3.0 out of 5 stars It's growing on me, 19 May 2014
This review is from: Unrepentant Geraldines (Audio CD)
I can't say I'm bowled over but maybe I was expecting too much. Let's face it, the brilliance of the first three albums is never going to be repeated. And, like I say, it is growing on me - at first listen I almost hated some of it (Giant's Rolling Pin, Rosey Dover, Promise). But later, in a more receptive mood I found there are some tracks I like and I'm even coming round to the Giant's Rolling Pin. But overall there's nothing original, except perhaps Trouble's Lament - and there's more than a passing resemblance to The Beekeeper. No doubt I will play this album more than AATS (which won't take much) and Night of Hunters. And, do I have a reject copy - or is a collector's item?! - the booklet lyrics are not in the correct track order which is kind of annoying. (Deluxe version).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 7, 2014 7:09 PM BST

NW
NW
by Zadie Smith

2.0 out of 5 stars Had to give up sorry, 24 Mar 2013
This review is from: NW (Hardcover)
I had read a lot about this book before attempting it so knew about the stylistic thing - I actually quite liked the apple 'page' and the stream of consciousness stuff was fine with me. I was quite enjoying the book although I couldn't say I was riveted by it. Anyway, all was going fairly well until part three. (Sorry I forget what the different parts were called). Anyway this was a bridge too far for me. It was like she had given up on the book and decided to write a report instead. Numbered headed paragraphs?? I could forgive all the other stylistic whimsy and self-indulgence as it actually had some merit but this last section was a no-go for me. If I want to read a report I will but I thought I was reading a book up until that point...

Mammoth [DVD]
Mammoth [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gael García Bernal
Offered by FilmloverUK

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't live up to its hype, 21 Mar 2013
This review is from: Mammoth [DVD] (DVD)
The reviews would have you believe the film is "flawless", "affecting", "excellent". Don't believe it. Even the blurb on the back is not true. "When Leo travels to Thailand on business, he unwittingly sets off a chain of events that will have dramatic consequences for everyone". Er, no. The only thing Leo does is pretend he's not going to sleep with a Thai girl for awhile (about 10 minutes) and then proceeds to do just that. This has no consequence whatsoever as he runs off and wifey doesn't have a clue. Or are we supposed to believe him somehow responsible for the death of his wife's patient and his nanny's son assault in the Phillipines because he is not at home?? Or is it because he gave away the Mammoth pen!! As someone else said nothing much happens in this film and it doesn't even have the excuse of being "arty". Unless you like watching films that leave you thinking "and"/"so what?/is that it? don't bother with this.

Capital
Capital
by John Lanchester

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much going on here, 11 Feb 2013
This review is from: Capital (Paperback)
This appears to be the type of book which will grip you from page one and yet it doesn't. There are multiple characters and stories going on - I had to check back to remember who people were sometimes and the supposed main storyline "We want what you have" is ignored for long periods of this long book. Perhaps the fact that there are so many characters competing for your attention is the reason why I find myself not really caring about what happens to any of them and ultimately surfing through a shallow and not very engaging read. It's not that bad - I am still reading it after all - but Top Ten Bestseller?, great reviews? - it's just really not that good either.

Night of Hunters
Night of Hunters
Offered by Fulfillment Express

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice music without the singing, 24 Jan 2013
This review is from: Night of Hunters (Audio CD)
It comes as no surprise to me that Tori has released a version of this album which is just instrumental. I don't understand the rave reviews for this album - apart from a couple of tracks I couldn't say that I like it - and I tried, come to think of it I have been trying with Tori for a few years now. Probably Scarlet's Walk was the last album that was really any good. But never mind, there are always elements of greatness - these definitely do not include her daughter's singing as far as I am concerned. So back to the singing - it just doesn't work. Tori has in the past constructed the music to fit her lyrics and turning this on its head is just a bad idea. It feels uncomfortable, clunky and contrived.

Burma: The Alternative Guide
Burma: The Alternative Guide
by Elena Jotow

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 15 Jan 2013
What a fabulous creation. And thank god for something other than Lonely Planet which will only guide you to the places where all the other tourists are anyway. I like to use Lonely Planet as a guide to where not to go (especially restaurants which are always the most expensive with boring attempts at Western style food and tourists who are too lazy or stupid to look for something more authentic). As for having the "new Lonely Planet" I managed very well without it in Burma and as I didn't get on the "tour bus" I didn't need to get off it either!

The Museum of Innocence
The Museum of Innocence
by Orhan Pamuk

3.0 out of 5 stars Very strange book, 7 Jan 2013
Maybe I just don't get Orhan Pamuk. This is the second book of his I've read (decided to give him another try) and I can't really understand why he gets such great reviews. It was a struggle to get to the end of this book and when I did I wondered why I bothered. The main character is quite frankly deranged and/or moronic and overall the book is generally quite irritating. Cigarette stubs with lipstick marks (multiple) going into the (imaginary?) museum of lost love to some equally ridiculous woman that the protagonist cannot have. I have been to Turkey so I know that some of them are strange people but this book would have you believe that they are melancholic beyond belief and suffering from a lack of a grip on reality.

1Q84: Books 1, 2 and 3
1Q84: Books 1, 2 and 3
by Haruki Murakami

1.0 out of 5 stars Not into it, 6 May 2012
This review is from: 1Q84: Books 1, 2 and 3 (Paperback)
I've read nearly 300 pages and I'm still not really into it. I've enjoyed all of Murakami's previous books but I am finding this one is just boring and irritating. I don't like the characters, I don't like the quoted passages that go on for pages, the stories are too disjointed. I've persevered with it but I think I'm going to give up on this one. Fortunately I got it from the library. Would have been very disappointed if I'd paid for it. If you haven't read Murakami I recommend reading Kafka on the Shore or the Wind-up Bird Chronicle not IQ84.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 3, 2012 8:06 PM BST