Profile for Wooders > Reviews

Content by Wooders

Wooders (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
teKKno® Leather Side Flip Wallet Case And LCD Guard for The Blackberry Curve 9320 (Blue)
Offered by teKKno

1.0 out of 5 stars Looked Good - But Too Easily Broken, 20 Jun 2014
On first look this wallet case looked very good and it was easy to clip my Blackberry into it.

However, in under 6 months the frame broke - and that was caused by me applying a little pressure in order to plug in the phone charger.

Big shame - I really did like the feel and look of the case. Clearly wasn't robust enough to cope with a little pressure on the frame.

BlackBerry Pocket Microfibre Case for Curve 9220/9310/9320 - Black/Sky Blue
BlackBerry Pocket Microfibre Case for Curve 9220/9310/9320 - Black/Sky Blue
Offered by Car Spares Direct

2.0 out of 5 stars Quickly becomes Scruffy, 4 May 2014
This product really looked really good when it arrived - but within 6 months I had to replace it. It became very scruffy far too quickly.

Enjoy Your Prayer Life
Enjoy Your Prayer Life

5.0 out of 5 stars A Short - But Excellent Look at Christian Prayer, 4 May 2014
This is the first book that I have read by Michael Reeves and I'm very impressed. I've read many books on Christian prayer, yet in just 48 pages the author cuts right through to the heart of this subject. If you find prayer difficult, or you feel guilty about "poor" prayer (or even a lack of prayer) then you must read this book.

Reeves also highlights the reality of Christian prayer with insights that I hadn't really grasped before. I owe Reeves a debt of gratitude because he clearly marks out the difference between how we normally view prayer and what Christian prayer really is. The understanding that Jesus is the Son of God makes a significance difference to how we pray.

Just read it! The book is so short that it is worth investing your time!

The First Epistle to the Corinthians
The First Epistle to the Corinthians

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Commentary, 5 Oct 2013
I've always found 1 Corinthians a puzzling book. It is difficult to understand the issues the Corinthian church was having and it is difficult to apply Paul's instruction to my modern day experience.

Gordon D. Fee does a great job of both. Of course, he takes his own line through some of the more puzzling aspects, but he explains clearly why he has chosen one view over another. At the same time, I think he gives us enough information on the different views for us to decide whether we agree with him or not.

The commentary really gets to grips with the Greek language and Fee does spend some time on potential different meanings where it is important to understanding the overall sense of a passage. For this reason, this book is probably not for someone looking at 1 Corinthians for the first time - in that case, something like the Tyndale commentary might be a better place to start.

I think the most valuable aspect of this commentary is Fee's application to the modern day. I especially appreciated where he warns of pitfalls - where people have taken Paul's instruction to a church in a different time and culture and simply made them commands for today.

I don't see eye to eye with Fee on all aspects of his views on life in the Holy Spirit. However, these are all small issues that we are free to disagree on!

I bought this on the Kindle - and to my relief the formatting is fine, so Amazon appear to have fixed this issue.

This is not a cheap commentary! But I believe it is worth every penny.

The Beginner's Guide to Spiritual Gifts
The Beginner's Guide to Spiritual Gifts

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Introduction to a Controversial Subject, 31 Aug 2013
Regarding Spiritual Gifts, I am in the "Open, but Cautious" category. I have seen great misuse of gifts - perhaps even fraud. However, I also have friends who sensibly and sensitively use the gift of tongues, which makes me open to the subject.
I found the book an easy read. It is less than 200 pages long and I took less than a day to read it.
Sam Storms is an enthusiastic supporter of Spiritual gifts and uses this book to encourage Christians to engage more. He is very persuasive and bases his assertions on many quotes from Scripture.
I don't agree with Sam Storms on a number of topics - for example, although he believes women can prophesy, he doesn't believe that women can hold positions of authority in a church. Something for us to amicably disagree on!
Also, the author quotes Jude 20 in his discussion of Speaking in Tongues, which I consider to be irrelevant to the topic. We can all pray in the Spirit, whether or not we speak in Tongues; praying in the Spirit is about the "atmosphere" of our prayers, not the style.
On the plus side: For all of us who fear that Speaking in Tongues will turn us into raving idiots, he quietly proves from the Bible that thrashing about, with no control over our actions, is not scriptural. Storms also is very balanced and calm in his discussions on Prophecy, which has helped me better understand this gift.
With our disagreements aside, I think this is a very good introduction to the subject and Storms argues his case convincingly.

2 x T1295 + T1291 x 4 Multipack Epson Compatible Ink Cartridges for Epson BX525WD - ALSO COMPATIBLE WITH Epson Stylus SX235W, SX420W, SX425W, SX435W, SX445W, SX525WD, SX535WD, SX620FW Epson Stylus Office B42WD, BX305F, BX305FW, BX305FW Plus, BX320FW, BX525WD, BX535WD, BX625FWD, BX630FW, BX635FWD, BX925FWD, BX935FWD Printers. - Latest Version Double Capacity Inks - T 1291 T 1292 T 1293 T 1294 (T1295) (Contains: T1291 T1292 T1293 T1294) - Cyan / Magenta / Yellow / Black - Multipack ***By TriINKS***
Offered by Triangle MMA

Crest Glide Floss Picks - 20 Pieces (6 Pack)
Crest Glide Floss Picks - 20 Pieces (6 Pack)

5.0 out of 5 stars If You Struggle with Flossing - Then Use These!, 11 Dec 2012
My dentist is always on at me to floss, but I find it difficult to floss the teeth at the back of my mouth. Floss picks are more expensive but make the whole exercise far easier. Highly recommend them! (And my dentist is happy - what more can you ask for?)

Light For The Lost Boy
Light For The Lost Boy

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece, 1 Dec 2012
This review is from: Light For The Lost Boy (Audio CD)
I am a big fan of Peterson's album "Counting Stars", which must be the most played set of songs on my ipod.

With anticipation, I put on "Light for the Lost Boy", only to be bewildered at first! The early songs seemed longer, louder and not so joined up - compared to what I was expecting. However, I persisted with hearing the whole album - and I began to change my mind!

It is much more joined up than I originally realised. I like the way that Peterson has run the theme of the "lost boy" through a number of the songs. The last song "Don't You Want To Thank Someone" sums up the album, echoing themes picked up in a number of other songs.

"The Cornerstone" stands out to me as the best song from this collection, summing up the "mystery" of the Christian experience and our faith in God.

"Carry the Fire" is a great song to hear at the end of a long and difficult day; it is so full of energy and purpose that I feel envigorated afterwards.

"The Ballad of Jody Baxter" was a mystery to me at first. From a little searching via Google, I discovered taht Peterson is referring the plot of an American book called "The Yearling". If you are initially confused, read it up on Wikipedia - then it all makes more sense.

If like me you start-off with misgivings about this album, I urge you to persist. It is now my favourite collection to play on my ipod...

Resurrection, Apocalypse, and the Kingdom of Christ: The Eschatology of Thomas F. Torrance (Princeton Theological Monograph Series Book 181)

4.0 out of 5 stars A Glimpse into the Background of T F Torrance's Theology, 17 Nov 2012
I find the works of Thomas F Torrance very rewarding; his depth of understanding of both Physics (Einstein's theory of Relativity) and Christian theology is an unusual combination. However, reading T F Torrance is also very challenging; his ability to fuse Relativity and Trinitarian Theology is not always an easy mix to follow!
Eschatology is where the cross over between Physics and Theology is obvious. Torrance refers to space and time with regards to the Resurrection of Jesus ("Space, Time and Resurrection")and in his commentary on the Book of Revelation ("The Apocalypse Today").
Maclean's book "Resurrection, Apocalypse and the Kingdom of God" provides useful background behind the development of Torrance's Eschatology. Indeed, it gave me a better grasp of the ideas that Torrance presents in "The Apocalypse Today".
I found the first 3 chapters most rewarding as they were more tightly focused on Torrance; the last 2 chapters contrast Torrance's views with other Theologians of the period (1950s).
The period that Maclean covers cuts off before the time in which Torrance develops his full scientific theology. So if you are interested in that, this is not the book for you!
However, if you are interetsed in Torrance's Eschatology and the background to some of his ideas, then this is worthwhile reading.

Genesis for Normal People (Study Guide Edition): A Guide to the Most Controversial, Misunderstood, and Abused Book of the Bible

4.0 out of 5 stars Read Genesis Through the Eyes of Those Who Wrote It, 8 July 2012
Genesis has become an unnecessary place of conflict between Christianity and science, especially in the book's first 2 chapters. The authors don't directly attempt to reconcile Genesis with science, but this book has certainly helped me see that many of the arguments are caused by misunderstanding of what Genesis is all about.

As the authors put it at the end of their book: "Genesis was written to answer ancient questions for ancient Israelites" (Kindle location 1392). It wasn't written to answer modern questions about evolution or dinosaurs.

I don't agree with every point raised by the authors, but they do succeed in their goal of showing that Genesis has to be read as an ancient story through ancient eyes. This does not take away from the message of the book; I now have a greater appreciation for Genesis than before.

The authors also tackle the problem of taking slices out of the stories of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob to draw out moral lessons for modern audiences. They show that this was not the intent of the ancient writers and to use these stories for short moral lessons is to do violence to the larger story that Genesis paints.

The book is only a short one, which left me wanting to read more. The authors helpfully suggest other books for further reading.

There is one annoying feature about the book, which is the authors' writing style. They appear obsessed in mixing in humorous comments, which I found distracting and sometimes a bit bizarre. It is possible that they feel that this style will give them a wider readership. If like me, you do find this irritating, I do encourage you to ignore it and plough on with the book. It certainly has opened up a greater depth of understanding for me.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3