Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (CAMBRIDGE, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Philips AVENT SCF720/10 VIA Baby Food Storage Set
Philips AVENT SCF720/10 VIA Baby Food Storage Set
Offered by Discount outlet

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulously practical, 1 Dec. 2013
This item is amazing. I bought them for yoghurt but ended up using them for EVERYTHING, even for taking food into work for myself. The screw top means that they don't leak, and they stack up on top of each other in the fridge, and they stack to nothing in the cupboard. They go in the dishwasher too. They're the solution to our tupperware problems!

100 Great Copywriting Ideas (100 Great Ideas): From Leading Companies Around the World
by Andy Maslen

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, 31 Aug. 2012
After buying three of Andy Maslen's books, I am now a paid-up Andy Maslen fan. The following are the symptoms of my hero-worship: Firstly, thanks to another of his works, I am starting my own business away from the gruelling life of supply teaching. Secondly, I was so impressed by the ideas in this book that I even ordered all the classic advertising texts that he mentioned as reference works. Thirdly, I actually debated with myself for three whole days on whether to post a review. I was worried other people might read his books too and decide to write copy for a living. Then I realised it would be darned ungrateful not to post at least a little thank you.
I would only recommend buying this book if you need copywriting ideas. And I fear it might be a bit patronising for the seasoned pro to read. For example, it recommends you avoid sending octopus shaped flyers to law firms. It made me laugh, though. The other issue is the slight overlap with The Copywriting Sourcebook. But I have used both recently, and don't know what I would have done without them.

Non-Spill Paint Pot and Brush Set
Non-Spill Paint Pot and Brush Set
Offered by Be Creative

5.0 out of 5 stars No waste, no mess solution, 16 May 2012
My child usually just paints a little bit and then gets bored. So the paint in a palette would get wasted. These great durable pots have plugs that you can put in, which preserves the paint for next time. The water pot is great because it cannot tip over and the brushes are well-made and don't drop bristles. The only problem is that I have six colours and four pots, and my son will not tolerate white paint in a green pot! Not a real issue though. Four colours is plenty for this age group.

Improving Working Memory: Supporting Students' Learning
Improving Working Memory: Supporting Students' Learning
by Tracy Packiam Alloway

4.0 out of 5 stars The best in the field, 16 May 2012
Tracy Alloway tells the story of how she has single-handedly pioneered the research into this hugely important aspect of the brain's cognitive functioning. This book simply takes the most common recognised learning disabilities such as dyslexia, dyspraxia, autism, ADHD and analyses the working memory profile of typical sufferers. The profiles are absolutely astounding. It is a thin book, which really tells rather than illustrates, leaving a lot of scope for further discussion of the implications of these dramatic discoveries. But if you have a child with any major learning disability, these findings will be essential reading. For teachers, it will be a useful reference point and you can point to the tables to discuss the findings with parents. It will probably help parents to understand some of the technical terms used in educational psychologists' reports, and it gives advice on which are the tests which are accurate measurements of working memory and which are not.
The real thing missing is what the title mistakenly implies. The title hints that the book will suggest ways to improve working memory. But that is not what this book is for: it merely gives profiles of learners' attributes and suggests a few simple but effective ways of helping students to learn better despite their impaired working memory. It does not describe ways in which the raw working memory can be improved. Indeed, this is probably a better educational model rather than seeking to 'cure' the condition.

Raleigh Cycling Sunglasses
Raleigh Cycling Sunglasses

5.0 out of 5 stars A solid pair of specs, 16 May 2012
I must say I am delighted with these sunglasses. They are incredibly good value. I took them skiing and their reflective lenses provided quality visibility in the bright conditions, better than even my purpose made goggles. They sit on the face through a flexible nose piece and the flexible ear pieces, and they could happily adjust to many face shapes. I have high cheekbones and these glasses keep well out of the way of my cheeks without allowing too much glare in from below. They are extremely lightweight, but also robust enough to allow for putting them on one-handed, an important feature when cycling, driving or skiing. They sit on top of my head easily when not needed and are so light I forget they are there. I have not used the clear or night-vision lenses. I didn't buy them for those. All in all, I am over the moon with this purchase and would certainly buy Raleigh gear again.

On Film-making
On Film-making
by Alexander Mackendrick

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for writers too, 16 May 2012
This review is from: On Film-making (Paperback)
This book does not really tell you all you need to make a film. However, it is a brilliant book about writing, and an insight into how films are made. The main focus throughout the book is on storytelling, and how to tell a good story, from the initial conception of the idea right through to considering how it should look on screen. As a writer, I found these tricks of the trade were superbly useful in focusing me on what was truly important, as well as giving me a few very practical ideas on how to go about editing. The examples are often very entertaining as he gives you an insight into his experience without ever being patronising. The only niggle is that he spends a lot of time telling students off for making bad films. But I imagine that he must have been fairly annoyed at the way they kept making the same mistakes. These he highlights with easy-to-memorise slogans. A worthwhile purchase especially for script writers, but not a technical guide by any means.

Genre (The New Critical Idiom)
Genre (The New Critical Idiom)
by John Frow

5.0 out of 5 stars Necessary reading, 16 May 2012
This was a great value purchase as I had to write an essay which included an overview of genre theory and wanted a quick way to get my head round it. It is a well written book, and makes its own valid points, not just digesting others' ideas. It is particularly useful in getting the best from Russian Formalist ideas. It focuses on particular examples of signs, riddles and the novel as examples of simple versus complex genres but it keeps returning to these examples from different angles and the points made are transferable to other genres including film. Well worth the money and a lot cheaper than the Reader which I also considered buying but had to look up in the library instead. Certainly more readable and accessible than the other option too. A great buy.

2013 Rayzor Professional UV400 Black 2 In 1 Ski / SnowBoard Sunglasses / Goggles, With an Anti Fog Treated Blue Iridium Mirrored Anti-Glare Clarity Lens and a Detachable Elasticated Headband
Offered by Sports Eyewear

3.0 out of 5 stars Good looking, 16 May 2012
These goggles have a slide-on padding which is supposed to make them more snow-tight and more like goggles. The goggles have arms so really they are more like a pair of sunglasses and the strap is not that useful unless you remove the arms, or unless you have a real danger of losing the goggles. They stay on very well anyway and I found the arms a little bit tight and bulky against my not very large head. The goggles were the wrong shape for my face so they were more snow tight without the padding, which slides around so it's best to take it out anyway. Leaving you with a standard pair of sunglasses. Mine broke within a week of wearing but my sister broke them so I am not sure if it was a problem with the manufacturing or her downright clumsiness. These semi- goggles are ok, but I would now go for sunglasses and a separate pair of goggles.

Living between the Lines
Living between the Lines
by Lucy McCormick Calkins

5.0 out of 5 stars Seminal work, 10 Feb. 2012
This is a must-buy for teachers of writing or those thinking of teaching writing. It focuses on the writer's notebook and the possible uses for it to develop students as writers. There are also excellent chapters on how to conduct group discussion lessons so that students increase their awareness through talk as well as having the time to write. But the most important aspect of this book is the passion it is written with and I guarantee that it will bring tears to your eyes as you follow the stories of students who have learned important life lessons through the incredible teaching they have received. It was a pleasure to read this as a writer as well as a teacher, as the ideas hold true for the teaching of writing to students of any age from year 1 to adults. Indeed, I have seen this method in practice in a year 1 classroom and while it needs to be toned down for them slightly, it is hugely empowering and students as young as that really do see themselves as writers when they are given the opportunity to write every day. This is a method that is common in the US but rarely seen in the UK. UK teachers should definitely read this.

Casio F-91WC-2AEF Digital Watch with Blue Resin Strap
Casio F-91WC-2AEF Digital Watch with Blue Resin Strap
Offered by SuStuu

3.0 out of 5 stars Allergy alert, 10 Feb. 2012
Very excited to receive this new watch and loved the colour, exactly what I had hoped for as it works well, has the date and a stopwatch which I use constantly. There's just one problem: although the stainless steel back causes no problems, the screws (unlike the black version I used to own) are not stainless steel and I have an unpleasant rash in those spots where the screws come into contact with my wrist. I will have to find a new watch or somehow seal the screws with dots of glue so they don't cause a rash.

Page: 1 | 2