ARRAY(0xabaf60a8)

Profile for Kimberley Louise John > Reviews

Content by Kimberley Loui...

Kimberley Louise John "lady_guenevere"

Who is Mr Satoshi?
Who is Mr Satoshi?
Price: 4.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Was that it?, 22 Jan 2014
Descriptive but dull!! Not my cup of sake. Was expecting quite the shocking reveal but didn't happen!!! Flat characters indeed.

The Practice of English Language Teaching (3rd Edition) (Longman Handbooks for Language Teachers)
by Jeremy Harmer
Price: 30.90

4.0 out of 5 stars First class for a TEFL course, 11 Sep 2005
I read this book in its entirety before completing a TEFL course and found it invaluable. It covers everything from intonation through to the use of audio-visual equipment in class.
Whilst I did find some of the information plain common sense it is still a 'must read' to get a foot up in the world of TEFL/TESOL

The Chronicles of Narnia Boxed Set
The Chronicles of Narnia Boxed Set
by C. S. Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars The satisfaction of reading them all!!, 11 Sep 2005
I purchased this box set years ago but never got round to actually reading the books however, I decided that it was time to 'get it done'. I decided to read the books in the 'second order' starting with the Magician's Nephew and I have never been so engrossed in a series of books in my life. At the age of 22 it was easy to get through them all although I have to say I felt about 10 years old sitting in my room (naturally under a sheet suspended by two dining room chairs as is the only way to read at that age) not in my early twenties sipping a caramel macchiato in Starbucks!
The stories tell of the land of Narnia ruled by Aslan the lion and the adventures of the Pensieve children as well as a host of other characters who wind their way throughout the seven enchanting books; from Jadis the Snow Queen and Mr Tumnus the faun through to Prince Caspian and the adorable Reepicheep!
The books possess an Orwellian quality in as much as they can be read on two levels. At the first, they are simply beautifully detailed children's books and on a deeper surface they are a reading of Judeo-Christian theology with Aslan being our saviour.
Whichever way you choose to read them, the important thing is that you do!! There is nothing more satisfying than finishing The Last Battle...and crawling out from under that sheet to grab some hot chocolate and jaffa cakes!!

The Borgia Bride
The Borgia Bride
by Jeanne Kalogridis

5.0 out of 5 stars How is it 4 o'clock already??!!, 5 April 2005
This review is from: The Borgia Bride (Hardcover)
I started this book first thing one morning and before I knew it it was 4pm and I was nearing the end!!!! Yes, it really is one of those books that you can't physically put down. The Borgia Bride tells the story of Sancha of Aragon who married into the Borgia family by way of Jofre Borgia. She left her native Naples and ended up in Rome living alongside the famous Borgia clan comprising Rodrigo Borgia (Pope Alexander IV), the infamous Lucrezia Borgia, as well as her husbands brothers, Cesare and Juan who were both to take parts in her life. The authors portrayal of each and every character is incredible and you can really see the settings in your mind's eye. The story really goes full steam ahead when Sancha falls passionately in love with Cesare Borgia, a man she believes is perfect but unfortunately for her, her initial beliefs could not be further from the truth!!! It is in fact the author's portrayal of Lucrezia Borgia which I particularly liked, instead of portraying her as the black widow and evil woman she is usually portrayed as, Lucrezia is shown to be at times simply a political and sexual puppet for her father and brother Cesare. The plot is heart wrenching, gut wrenching, and at times so full of suspense you will find yourself holding your breath. An amazing must read book!!

The Shadow Of The Wind
The Shadow Of The Wind
by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Price: 9.71

5.0 out of 5 stars What a fantastic read!!!, 10 Feb 2005
This review is from: The Shadow Of The Wind (Paperback)
One of my best friends recommended I read this book and thought I would enjoy it, I don't think she's ever been so right in her life!!! This is truly one of the most beautifully written novels I have ever read. It flows so easily that you can read for hours and not even realise.
The story revolves around a character named Daniel Sempere who is taken the the cemetary of forgotten books by his father when he is ten years old. He finds a book named The Shadow of the Wind and after reading said book becomes obsessed with discovering all he can about the author Julian Carax. Zafon then sweeps us along with Daniel as we discover a host of characters including mysterious women, a sadistic police inspector, a loyal friend and secrets that should remain just that.
The only problem I had with this novel, which in no way impaired my enjoyment, was the fact that the twist in the book became apparent to me quite a bit before the end but as I said, this in no way detracts from the enjoyment.
I would recommend this book to anyone who has a passion for books, mystery and a damn good read!!

Beautiful View
Beautiful View
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes a 'book' should be judged by its cover..., 21 July 2004
This review is from: Beautiful View (Audio CD)
I had never heard of Shonagh Daly before today but what a talent!!! I simply bought the album because I liked the look of the CD sleeve, even though I have been tripped up before by this method, this was certainly not one of those occassions. This Irish songbird has one of the most amazing and beautiful voices I have ever heard. The songs on the album range from the upbeat "All I Want" to the stunning ballads of "When the Cedars Fall" and "Forget Me Not". There is also a great cover of "Fever" in there. I simply can't stop listening to this CD, it's one of those albums that brings a smile to your face and in my opinion, that certainly gets Shonagh five stars from me!!!

Let It Rain (International Version With Bonus Track)
Let It Rain (International Version With Bonus Track)
Price: 5.11

4.0 out of 5 stars Tracy at her best, 28 Dec 2002
I became a fan of Tracy Chapman's when I was a young teenager and she has stuck with me into my twenty something years. I fell in love with "Fast Car" and the things that made that song a classic are things that are present in Tracy's new album. There are those tracks that throw themselves at you like You're the One and Hallelujah then there are those beautifully lyrical ballads such as I Am Yours and Over In Love. All in all this album, much like her others, shine through the bland world of mediocre song writing and bland melodies to cement Tracy as one of the true musicians of our generation.