Profile for S. Arrow > Reviews

Content by S. Arrow

S. Arrow

Page: 1 | 2
Loom Magic Creatures!: 25 Awesome Animals and Mythical Beings for a Rainbow of Critters
by Becky Thomas

3.0 out of 5 stars Advanced loom band designs, 6 Sep 2014
Some very interesting items to try to make on a loom-band loom. However, they should NOT be tried by a beginner, as the instructions are not always very clear, and they are physically very difficult, too, because they require the bands to be doubled round the pegs. This gives a dense, close texture to the models, but it tends to make it very hard to hook the bands off, because they are so tight. It also increases the chance of snapping a band, and the tension may be too much for the cheaper types of loom.

Rev-o-LOOM-tion: A Modern Kids' Guide to Rocking Rubber Bands
Rev-o-LOOM-tion: A Modern Kids' Guide to Rocking Rubber Bands
by Triumph Books

5.0 out of 5 stars Loom Band Instruction Book, 6 Sep 2014
Mostly good and clear instructions with good photographs. (Some other instructions are utterly hopeless and don't even bother to mention turning the loom round between laying the bands and hooking them off). This book is easier to use than the videos people have posted on the internet, because you can take your time.

Abracadabra Saxophone: Pupil's Book: The Way to Learn Through Songs and Tunes (Abracadabra Woodwind)
by Jonathan Rutland

5.0 out of 5 stars Saxophone tutor, 6 July 2014
Excellent series of tutors. This one gives me all I need to support my child with his saxophone lessons, indeed, if I had the time I could teach myself to play from this!

The Boy Who Was Raised As a Dog: And Other Stories from a Child Psychiatrist's Notebook - What Traumatized Children Can Teach Us About Loss, Love, and Healing
by Bruce D. Perry

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be a compulsory read., 13 Jun 2012
At first glance this might look like yet another of those first hand accounts of child abuse, but this is much more authoritative and illuminating. Bruce Perry uses the case histories to delve into the way healthy brain development, and especially the development of empathy, is damaged by early neglect and abuse. He also describes how, and to what extent, appropriate intervention can remedy the damage.

As a carer trying to raise (and heal) twin boys who suffered physical abuse and emotional neglect as toddlers, I found this book full of helpful insights.

I'm now half-way through the sequel "Born for Love: Why Empathy is Essential and Endangered" which goes even more deeply into the role of empathy and how important it is to the very structure of society.

These books should be compulsory reading for all idiot politicians busily pandering to the pathologically greedy. The books show how 'free market' and war-mongering policies greatly raise the sum total of human misery, and will help to produce many more psychopaths and criminals in the future.

The boy in the title, by the way, didn't do too badly - at least the other dogs gave him some affection.

Quick and Easy Pilates: 5-minute Routines for Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere (Quick & Easy)
by Karen Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars Pilates book, 13 Jun 2012
This book might well be full of great wisdom, but I can't tell. The text is in orange type on a paler orange background (or sometimes the reverse). Presumably somebody thought this was cool, but I found it such a strain to read that I just gave up!

Office Fitness Exercise Ball Chair Black - Includes air pump and exercise DVD
Office Fitness Exercise Ball Chair Black - Includes air pump and exercise DVD
Offered by OfficeFitness

4.0 out of 5 stars Ball chair, 13 Jun 2012
Wonderfully comfy 'office' chair, consisting of an exercise ball (which can be used as such) plus a stand designed to raise you to an appropriate height for working at a desk. The theory is that sitting still for long periods is very bad for your back, but sitting on an exercise ball is much healthier because you are constantly wiggling about and exercising the muscles which support your spine. It seems to work.

Visitors - after the first "what's THAT?" reaction - want to try it out, and in every case then decline my offer of a more conventional chair!

There are two wire brackets which can be fitted, presumably to hold the ball more firmly in place. I don't bother with these as I find the ball stays in place anyway. It also has castors which can be individually locked. I like the castors free, and I find it a bit irritating that every time I sit down I find them locked. I'm not sure whether someone is doing this deliberately or whether the locking catches just get kicked on very easily by accident, so I would prefer the castors NOT to be lockable.

That leads me to the main drawback of the chair, which is the difficulty of keeping the kids off it - it's such fun scooting around and bouncing on it!

LEGO Star Wars 7958: Advent Calendar
LEGO Star Wars 7958: Advent Calendar
Offered by toys2day-de

4.0 out of 5 stars Star wars advent calendar, 3 Nov 2011
I bought this for my twin grandsons, aged six, and currently star wars crazy. I had already bought them the city advent calendars (not yet opened), so I didn't actually use it as a advent calendar. When I had bought them standard models (starfighters and the like) I found they were not very interested in the larger models, but obsessed with the mini figures. There are 24 little models in this set, which, if you open the box carefully by slitting the sticky tape, (rather than just ripping the end open, as I did) are accessed by opening one window for each day up to Christmas Eve. Under the window is a picture to help you assemble the model, and the bits for each model are individually packed in a small plastic bag.

The number of pieces in each model varies from four to about 21. About 12 of them seem to be various types of star fighters, (rather cleverly realised in such a small format) and there are eight little figures (including Yoda as Father Christmas!), plus a few odds and ends (weapons and a Christmas tree). The boys are not mature enough yet to assemble them correctly, so I spent a happy evening doing it myself, and I have been doling out the models as rewards for particularly good behaviour. The boys love them.

Gor Pets Crinkle Cat Bag, Brown Suede
Gor Pets Crinkle Cat Bag, Brown Suede

2.0 out of 5 stars Cat bed, 5 April 2011
This is a nicely made bag, lined with soft fleece fabric, and with a wire braced opening, holding it invitingly open. I bought two for my new rescue cats. Sadly, they have completely ignored the bags! This may be because the bags make a very crinkly noise, presumably intended to amuse the cat, but our cats may have found this scary.

The Dog that Saved My Life
The Dog that Saved My Life
by Isabel George

2.0 out of 5 stars Hero dogs in the military, 25 Oct 2010
The five stories in this book were interesting, but I was put off by the style of writing. Hard to put my finger on what it was. Sometimes I had to go back because the narrative didn't really follow, and I felt the author was trying to whip up emotion artificially. I felt condescended to.

The Horse Boy: A Father's Miraculous Journey to Heal His Son
The Horse Boy: A Father's Miraculous Journey to Heal His Son
by Rupert Isaacson

5.0 out of 5 stars Autism cure, 24 Oct 2010
A fascinating and inspiring account of how an autistic boy was improved by his relationship with horses, and ultimately cured (apparently) by a Mongolian shaman. I don't suppose this cure is for everyone. For a start, the father was a keen and experienced horseman, and the family was lucky enough to live in rural Texas, where a neighbour allowed the father and son to ride one of his horses daily, and where there was plentiful open country to ride in. The expedition to a remote area of Mongolia was, as you'd expect, extremely challenging.

Apart from the bald narrative, there were many incidental aspects to the story which were illuminating. Reading the descriptions of the symptoms of autism which the family had to cope with was illuminating for me, because the behaviour reminded me so much of the behaviour I have to cope with, in trying to raise and heal twin boys who had suffered neglect and abuse before they were two years old. Although they are not truly autistic, nor do they have ADHD, their behaviour often mimics one or other of these conditions, and I feel that this story has helped me to understand and help their troubled little minds. I am going to see if I can afford horse-riding lessons for them, for instance, although I'm not planning on going to Mongolia!

I was also fascinated by the account of Mongolian culture, and of the shamanism the family encountered there. It is easy to sneer at 'alternative' spiritual theories (and certainly some of them do seem aimed at extremely gullible people), nevertheless we should try to keep open minds, and realise that conventional medicine does not know all the answers.

Page: 1 | 2