Profile for Linda > Reviews

Content by Linda

Linda "Old SF & Fantasy fan" (Barnsley)

Those Who Save Us
Those Who Save Us
by Jenna Blum
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 1 Nov 2013
This review is from: Those Who Save Us (Paperback)
I bought this book this afternoon in a charity shop for 1. It is well worth the cover price!

I imagine most of us are familiar with WW2 stories about hidden Jews and the resistance, but this books digs down another layer, into the life of an ordinary German woman struggling to do her best for her fatherless child. Interwoven between the narrative from 1939-45 is the complimentary story of that child, now a history lecturer in America, as during the course of her research she rediscovers the truth about her own past.

This book reminds me of Margaret Forster's writing. Uncomfortable, but so true.

Bought at 2pm. Read by midnight. Recommended.

Murray Loop: Journey of an Oregon Family, 1808-1949
Murray Loop: Journey of an Oregon Family, 1808-1949
Price: 6.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Emigrant History and Family Hisotry, 4 April 2013
I bought this book in paperback format two years ago because it described the life of one of my husband's relatives. Joseph Owram, a tailor from Barnsley, England travels to America. This was in the 1850s! Not only that, but as I had found in the 1871 census he and his family travelled back to England in 1870/1 to visit his 80 year old mother. Wonderful.

Fortunately remembered by his descendants and written up by Ted Cox this is the kind of family memoir we all wish we had. Ted follows the story of Joseph's daughter, her husband (family from Scotland) and their family as they travel from Ohio to Oregon.

Thank you Ted.

Cryoburn  SC (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)
Cryoburn SC (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)
by Lois McMaster Bujold
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: 5.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Never work with children and animals, unless you are Miles Vorkosigan, 11 April 2012
This, the most recent of the Miles Vorkosigan saga, is not at all disappointing in my opinion, despite what some other reviewers have said. A must read for any fan. With various twists along the way and a little help? from his brother Mark, Miles gets to the bottom of a scheme and helps reunite a family.

But at the end ... I won't say any more. This is when things change.

The 1930s House Manual
The 1930s House Manual
by Ian Rock
Price: 14.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading, 1 Dec 2011
This review is from: The 1930s House Manual (Hardcover)
We have just bought a house built in 1935 and this book has been constantly in use for reference. My husband is in the building maintenance trade but had not had any experience of houses of this particular style (not a design used for council houses!) It was reassuring for him to find detailed pictures of roof joists, fireplaces and window frames with common problems identified and solutions suggested. I would like to refurbish as much of our house in the correct style as possible and this book has gone a long way in giving me ideas on how to do that. I did buy the Shire booklet on 1930s houses before we bought the house to get some idea what we were letting ourselves in for but now we are actually having to repair and decorate the 1930s House Manual is the better book.

Bosch Megaair Super Tex Type G  Vacuum Bag, 4 Litre Capacity, Pack Of 4 And Includes A Micro Hygiene Filter For The Motor
Bosch Megaair Super Tex Type G Vacuum Bag, 4 Litre Capacity, Pack Of 4 And Includes A Micro Hygiene Filter For The Motor
Price: 7.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile buying the brand, 1 Dec 2011
I had borrowed a Bosch vacuum cleaner from my mum to use in our new house before we moved in. She had only got one proper bag left so I used some cheap ones from the local market. They were paper and had a poor seal. Having read the reviews on Amazon for this product I thought I should try the brand name and I have not been not disappointed. The suction is much better and I am not worried that the bags will fall off the connection inside the machine. In this case I recommend spending a bit more for the improved performance.

Get It On
Get It On
Price: 6.49

2.0 out of 5 stars Sounds as if it's a live(ish) version, 9 April 2011
This review is from: Get It On (MP3 Download)
I wish I'd listened to the samples first - I really wanted the definitive recordings. Oh, well maybe it will grow on me.

Dragonfly In Amber: (Outlander 2)
Dragonfly In Amber: (Outlander 2)
by Diana Gabaldon
Price: 6.79

5.0 out of 5 stars How come it took me so long to find this author?, 30 May 2010
I fell upon the fifth of the Outlander series in a charity shop a few weeks ago and loved it. Since then I have bought all the others in the series from Amazon. I can't believe I hadn't heard of this author before - the books are great from a historical and romantic viewpoint. Escapism with gritty reality, what more could you want for bedtime reading! Dragonfly in Amber is the second in the series, it links Claire's emotionally fraught return to the present day with the events leading up to the battle of Culloden. Following on directly from Cross Stitch the love story leaves you crying and you learn more history in one novel than I thought possible.