Profile for P. Gilbert > Reviews

From Aberystwyth with Love
From Aberystwyth with Love
by Malcolm Pryce

1.0 out of 5 stars From Aberystwyth with ...zzzzzz, 13 July 2012
I had heard good things about this book, and the series in general, so was very dissapointed to find it is total crap. It is so badly written - I've read stories written by GCSE students that were more rewarding literature than this book. The writing is dull and unmemorable, like it was written by someone who has no experience of writing, or indeed reading. Apart from that, the plot was boring and meandering, it was difficult to keep pace with what was going on, it was almost like the author was making things up page by page, rather than following a plot line. I couldn't even finish the book. I made it to about 60% of the way through, but then gave up. I can't even tell you what happened in that 60% because it was so forgettable. I found that I didn't care about the characters or why they ended up in seemingly totally random situations. I don't recommend it and I wouldn't read anything else by the same author. Which is sad, because when I start a new book, I want to like it; I love finding new books and new authors to enjoy, but alas it was not to be with this book.

Samsung SE-S084F External USB 2.0 Slimline 8X DVD Writer - Black
Samsung SE-S084F External USB 2.0 Slimline 8X DVD Writer - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, 29 Oct. 2011
Does not work 99 times out of 100. When you load a disc, whether blank or a music cd, it almost never recognises it. It makes a few clicking sounds then stops spinning. Not fit for purpose.

Vodafone 845 Joy Android Mobile Phone on Vodafone PAYG
Vodafone 845 Joy Android Mobile Phone on Vodafone PAYG

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Fit for Purpose, 2 Jun. 2011
I've had to return this phone as it is useless. Nothing on it seems to work. The internet on it only works about 1% of the time. When it does work, it is so slow it can take up to 5 mins to load a page, but usually times out. It is the same result regardless of how you try to access it (My Web, Browser, Facebook app, Android App Market, Music Store, etc). It also freezes up when trying to dial, text or scroll through options. It doesn't recognize the sim card half the time, and doesn't recognise credit that has been put on it. The alarm clock only has 3 set times you can choose (7am, 8am and 8.30am) which is ridiculous and the battery life is a joke - 1 short call (less than a minute) and two texts (assuming these things are working) and the battery is completely depleated. It then takes almost 5 hours to charge back up again. Multiple trips to the Vodafone store have determined that neither the handset, battery nor sim is faulty, so it's not a case of having a dud handset/battery/sim that could be replaced. This phone is definately a waste of money.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 7, 2011 10:30 AM BST

The Lieutenant of Inishmore (Modern Classics)
The Lieutenant of Inishmore (Modern Classics)
by Martin McDonagh

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark Comedy Genius, 29 April 2010
I love this play so much. I saw it a few years ago when it transfered to the Garrick Theatre from the Barbican, and it's so funny! The humour is very black, and seeing it is not for the squeamish - the first 2 rows of the stalls had to be taken off sale because the people sitting there always got drenched in 'blood'! But its a joy to read; the sheer amount of violence doesn't come through in the text as much as on stage, but it takes the violence to laughably ridiculous levels. A very black comedy indeed. Martin McDonagh is such an excellent writer, his dialogue is so memorable. Reading this on the train back from London, I kept getting odd looks from people because I was laughing out loud. A work of genius, and in my opinion his best play.

Rebecca [DVD] [1997]
Rebecca [DVD] [1997]
Dvd ~ Charles Dance

1.0 out of 5 stars Adapting a great novel - you're doing it wrong., 11 April 2010
This review is from: Rebecca [DVD] [1997] (DVD)
This is a truly dreadful adaptaion of Rebecca! Of all the films of this story, this is definately the worst. First of all: miscasting, miscasting, miscasting! On no planet should Charles Dance play Maxim de Winter. He is way too old (the character is 42) not in my opinion attractive - all I could think when I saw him was 'ew'. And is acting is stale and shows he has little understanding of the character. I disliked Emilia Fox as Mrs de Winter 2 because she seemed too 'knowing' - something others have pointed out, but it's true - there was a lack of innocence to the character. Faye Dunaway as Mrs van Hopper was hilarious! A completely different take on the character as written - here, she is actually quite fun and has a very naughty streak about her - as well as being boozy, she sets out to try and seduce Maxim herself - she comes out with some very funny lines; for instance, she tells the not-yet-Mrs de Winter2 that one of the waiters in the restaurant is hot enough to hop in bed with and the not-yet-Mrs de Winter2 just makes a face and gives a surley look. Mrs van H. complains that she's no fun. Mrs van Hopper comes across as loads of fun, which she's not supposed to (I'd happily hang out with her, paid or not). So the character is all wrong, but the only interesting performance here. Diana Rigg as Mrs Danvers: on paper, I'm sure this seemed like a good idea. However, it just doesn't work. She seems too old and, well, frail. Not threatening at all. Just a bit odd, and she has this 'look' which must be her stock 'crazy' look, which mainly involves raising her eyebrows and shaking her head. It just makes her look senile. Nothing subtle about it. Also not subtle was how they portrayed her as a raging lesbian.
The rooms in Manderley seemed really small for some reason, and they were really dark and rather ugly - Manderley is supposed to be incredibly beautiful, esp Rebecca's room, which again seemed small and dark and not a feminine room at all. That's one thing the Hitchcock version did really well, the depiction of Rebecca's room. It is after all supposed to be 'the most beautiful room you've ever seen'. The beauty of Manderley, inside and out, did not come across in this.
I also think they were very wrong to show Rebecca. She is supposed to be left to the imagination. She is supposed to be perfect, and you should be left to imagine what she is like, just like Mrs de Winter 2. As it was, I wasn't that impressed with her. Also not sure what the point of Maxim strangling her instead of shooting her was. He took the gun there, after all. And what is with the last scenes, with Maxim rescuing Mrs Danvers from the house?? Where on earth did that come from? If they were going to add something like that to the story, they should at least have resolved it, as we still don't know what happens to Mrs Danvers. And why will there be no children? Was it the fall down the stairs, or did Mrs D come to after Maxim drags her out of the house and rip his balls off? We don't know! In the book, she packs up and leaves, setting fire to the house on her way out (we assume it was her, the book does not specify). Arrrgghhh!
One thing I did like was Jonathan Cake as Jack Favell. He came across exactly as I think he should do. Geraldine James as Beatrice was not bad either.
Overall, I think they got it very wrong - the atmosphere is all wrong, the air of psychological torment and gripping Gothic drama is missing from this completely.

Sanyo B31X Digital Voice  Recorder - 32MB
Sanyo B31X Digital Voice Recorder - 32MB

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Little Machine, 4 Dec. 2008
This is a very good little voice recorder/dictaphone. Unlike the Olympus ones, it actually works! The sound quality is excellent, even at fairly long distances, and the batteries last forever. It also has an Off button, which the Olympus one does not, oddly enough. It also has a Lock button, so you don't have to worry about it going off in your bag. It's a couple of pounds more than the Olympus ones in the same class, but worth it to have a product that's reliable.

Creative Zen MicroPhoto 8GB MP3 Player - Black
Creative Zen MicroPhoto 8GB MP3 Player - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Product Ever - Such a Rip Off, 4 Dec. 2008
I sincerely regret spending so much on this sorry excuse for an mp3 player - it freezes all the time, won't turn on, has lost all the songs on it, won't charge, and now is completely dead - and I've had it less than a year. It just freezes on the Creative logo and you can't get anywhere from there. I spoke to the Creative people, and they very helpfully suggested that I buy a new one! A good way of judging a product, I've discovered, is to look on their website under trouble shooting or common issues - Frozen, Unresponsive and Dead are the terms at the top of the list for this player! The accompanying software/media player that I installed on my computer lost all the songs in it one day - that's almost 4000 songs - and caused me no end of computer problems, it's like a virus. It wasn't recognised by the computer half the time, I had so many connectivity problems with it. And the player never would display photos. When it did decide to play music, it would often skip, despite being held still. Absolute rubbish, NEVER buy anything made by Creative! I've got one of those really cheap ones now (less than a tenner), a brand you've never heard of, and I have no problems at all.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 29, 2010 1:49 PM BST

Olympus VN960PC Digital Voice Recorder
Olympus VN960PC Digital Voice Recorder

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of Money, Don't Buy, 17 Jan. 2008
This is the worst product I have ever used. I used it once and it has not worked since. Olympus will not do anything about it. The one time it did work, the sound quality was terrible, I could not understand a word of what i had said and I was holding the damn thing. Batteries last a whole 10 mins before being completely used up. The old mechanical ones with a little cassette work much better and are a lot cheaper.