ARRAY(0xa3c21eac)

The Best of Mac 2012
by Stan McMurtry
Price: 6.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Top marks, 29 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Best of Mac 2012 (Paperback)
As ever, MAC continues to make me laugh armed with a sharp wit and skill with a pencil.
In the 2012 annual, he pokes fun at Jimmy Carr's Tax avoidance scandal, the London riots, George Osborne's infamous 'Pasty Tax' and of course, when the Camerons' left their daughter in the pub. Brilliant.

The Hobbit Companion
The Hobbit Companion
by David Day

5.0 out of 5 stars For all your hobbit needs..., 29 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Hobbit Companion (Hardcover)
I am a huge fan of Tolkien (I wrote my dissertation on him!)and both TLOTR and the Hobbit, so when I saw that David Day had released this I was really excited-it doesn't disappoint. Day gently explores the world Tolkien created through his words, and clearly and concisely breaks down the meanings for the words he chose. He untangles the linguistic tricks used, and shows how names and words such as Baggins, Gollum and Hobbit were intentionally created to convey hidden meaning and depth. Wonderful. It made me understand Tolkien in a new way, and I actually read The Hobbit again as soon as I had finished the Companion! Highly recommended.

Style Me Vintage: Tea Parties Recipes and tips for styling the perfect event: A Guide to Hosting Perfect Village Events
by Betty Blythe
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars utterly charming, 29 Nov 2012
What a fantastic addition to the Style Me Vintage series! More a guide to styling parties than recipe book (as the name suggests), it guides you through etiquette, attire, music, food and drink and also gives information on the proper way to pour champagne, and the correct method for making a pot of tea. I love the Edwardian breakfast idea, I'll definitely be trying that one out soon and the cocktails and canape recipes will come in VERY handy for Christmas parties. I absolutely love it, and will be giving a few of these as gifts for Christmas.

The Bumper Book of Family Games: Activities and Fun, All Year Round
The Bumper Book of Family Games: Activities and Fun, All Year Round
by Katie Hewett
Price: 8.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift, 29 Nov 2012
I bought this as a present for a childminding friend and it's fantastic-packed with games to play inside for rainy days, to play in the car, to play quietly and including games to play when you can run around and yell and be raucous, it has been a bit of a life saver at times! It would be a brilliant little book to have around at Christmas or in the Summer Holidays too-any time you need to keep everyone entertained. I've bought one for myself ahead of the December family onslaught!

Classic Album Covers of the 1970s
Classic Album Covers of the 1970s
by Aubrey Powell
Price: 11.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible collection, 14 Nov 2012
I bought this as I love both album cover art and the era Aubrey Powell (the co-founder of Hipgnosis) has chosen for this collection, and I wasn't disappointed. Album covers include those of Patti Smith, the Ramones, Kraftwerk and Pink Floyd, to Captain Beefheart, Shoot and Weather Report. This is a comprehensive and eclectic selection of artwork, and one for both the coffee table and the serious appreciator of graphic art and design. Highly recommended.

Oz Clarke's Pocket Wine Book 2013
Oz Clarke's Pocket Wine Book 2013
by Oz Clarke
Price: 8.39

5.0 out of 5 stars In vino veritas..., 5 Oct 2012
An indispensable little guide to wine that I now refuse to be without! Clear, concise, detailed and full of information without being patronising, this gem of a reference book comes highly recommended (especially the sections on matching wine to food, sparkling wines and the glossary of terms). 5 stars.

National Trust Simply Baking
National Trust Simply Baking
by Sybil Kapoor
Price: 18.80

5.0 out of 5 stars gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous, 26 Sep 2012
I've been on a bit of a cook book roll recently and have managed to find myself some incredible new ones, but this one has to be my favourite. I saw it on the shelf and had to pick it up-it's SUCH a beautiful book. Sybil's intro is really rather heart warming and touching, and she has clearly written this book with a lot of love and care, and attention to detail. Lots of old favourites and some completely new to me (try the Leek and Bacon Froise or the Cinnamon Parsnip Cupcakes), this has been a revelation. Additionally, Sybil goes right back to basics and discusses measurements, weights, temperatures, methods and terminology, really helping to ensure you aren't just following a recipe but really understanding, enabling every baker to amend and adjust the recipes to their own individual tastes and preferences-something I've never really got the hang of until now. Wonderful stuff.

Gennaro: Let's Cook Italian: Favourite Family Recipes
Gennaro: Let's Cook Italian: Favourite Family Recipes
by Gennaro Contaldo
Price: 13.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 26 Sep 2012
With Italian being my favourite food, I was expecting this to be a winner and I wasn't disappointed! The recipes are easy to follow, absolutely delicious, and the book is now firmly ensconced on the 'favourites' shelf in my kitchen. The spiced meat stew and fritto misto are dinner party winners and Gennaro's Granny's Apple Cake is to die for. The family touch is really nice-tried and tested recipes, personal favourites and photos really make the book feel special. Brilliant.

Ann-Marie Powell's Plans for Small Gardens
Ann-Marie Powell's Plans for Small Gardens
by Ann-Marie Powell
Price: 13.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 26 Sep 2012
I bought this book hoping that it would help me work out what to do with the small (and awkwardly shaped) garden I have, and it has been an absolute joy. Clear, concise and practical, Ann-Marie has given me so many ideas and now I am excited to see my garden come together, rather than feeling completely overwhelmed! The book is laid out in themes-so you have an urban garden, a country garden, a family garden, low maintenance and so on, and for each she gives a detailed plan, suggestions for plants, paving, seating, decking, even lighting! It has really inspired me and made me want to make the most of the space I have, and I would recommend this for anyone who needs a bit of help with their own space. 10/10.

Honeybuns Gluten-free Baking
Honeybuns Gluten-free Baking
by Emma Goss-Custard
Price: 10.34

5.0 out of 5 stars mouth-watering, 13 July 2012
I have never tasted anything as delicious as the Honeybuns range, and when I saw they were bringing out a cookbook I had to put in an order straightaway! Although I'm not gluten intolerant, I've tried the full range of wheat/gluten/lactose free products, and the general taste and texture tends to resemble cardboard-bread that has to be toasted to be edible, sweets that are tasteless and ultimately, food that sacrifices taste for health. Honeybuns is the complete antithesis of this-every single yummy treat I have tried has been absolutely delicious, and far surpasses any cakes, brownies and flapjacks out there on the market. They have even overtaken Hummingbird Bakery in my affections :) My faves are the hedgerow flapjack, almond moon and the lemon polenta (stomach growling now!), so these were the first recipes I tried. As I love the range so much, I was worried that there was no way I'd be able to recreate it in my kitchen, but the recipes are foolproof. My first batch came out a little soft, but I think that was down to my impatience (and subsequently taking them out a little early!) rather than the recipe. Second batch was perfect, and I am working my way through all the others now! I would wholeheartedly recommend this book, and will be buying for all my friends.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3