Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

TCP LED E14 Small Edison Screw 5 Watt LED Candle, White
Price: 9.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Dimmable LED light bulb!, 17 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good replacement bulb for a lamp that required a candle shaped light bulb and illuminated with a nice, not too blue coloured white light. Unlike some of our older energy saving light bulbs, this bulb can be used with a dimmer switch and so far there have been no issues to report. Hopefully it will last the 25,000 hours (or 1041 days of it being constantly on).

Tefal ActiFry 2 in 1 1.5kg Low Fat Fryer - Black,
Tefal ActiFry 2 in 1 1.5kg Low Fat Fryer - Black,
Price: 247.02

4.0 out of 5 stars More than just for making chips and wedges., 17 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Actifry 2 in 1 is an air fryer with a rotating paddle on the base, and the added enhancement of a top try which allows you to cook two different things at the same time. The top tray cooks rather like an oven with hot air blasting. The unit (which is the largest capacity is rather a large piece of kitchen equipment that does have a large footprint. It is about 30cm across, 40cm (front to back) and 23cm high (with the lid closed). It comes with a short 90cm approx detachable power cord, so you will need to have the unit located close to a power supply to use it. You will also need space around the unit when it is in operation as it does get quite warm and needs space for the air to vent.

The unit arrives with very little assembly required and its good to go once the packaging has been removed and the washable parts washed. The Actifry comes with a glossy looking cook book with some information about healthy eating and a few recipes as well as the a thin paper user manual (which you need to read to understand how to operate the unit and to make chips - I am not sure why they didn't include this in the cookbook). The first thing I tried to make was some chips. Following the instructions in the manual, I sucessfully made chips with 500g of potatoes and 1 teaspoon of oil. They looked like oven chips, when they were cooked in about half an hour (as I wanted thicker cut chips) and did taste very nice. I subsequently tried making potato wedges, plain and experimenting with adding flavourings like fresh chilli and garlic. I did realise if you want to add flavourings, they seem to work better if you add them closer to the end of the cooking time, as the spices had a tendency to burn if you add them too early and stick to the paddle.

So far, the Actifry is good for cooking some potato products. It also worked extremely well with cooking shop bought frozen chips and potato wedges and mini spring rolls and mini samsoas that that have already been fried (I found there was no need to add any more oil to the pan before cooking). Note, the rotating paddle is not very friendly to fish fingers which disintegrated when cooking as do potato products like croquettes and waffles and you end up with a bowl of crumbed food. This is where the top tray comes in handy and cooks more delicate foods.

I tried some of the recipes in the cook book, I found that the top tray has a very limited height that you can cook things with, and though there are recipes for cooking steak, burgers and chicken, you will need to check they will fit under the heating element with a clearance space, but it does seem to make food rather crispy. I also tried other recipes such as paella, ratatouille, fried chicken, vegetable stir frys and vegetable crisps with varying degrees of success. Risottos and paella and ratatouille work quite well. I have yet to perfect the fried chicken recipe even after extensive testing (but it does seem to work better with smaller pieces of meat as the paddle tends to destroy the coating as you cook it in the pan). Vegetable stir frys - to he honest is far easier to cook in a wok or large frying pan and the recipe used far too much oil compare to my wok version. I tried making carrot crisps - which failed abysmally.

Cleaning the Actifry removable parts is quite easy and dishwashable, though the food does tend to stick quite stubbornly to the paddle (depending on what you are cooking) and it sometimes needed a good soak overnight. However, if you are cooking with the top tray, there can be a LOT of oil splatter especially with cooking meats, which can take a bit longer to clean.

Overall, the Actifry is going to primarily be used as a chip and potato wedges machine and when just making chips is very mess free. The top tray has some uses - I guess to try and increase the versatility of the unit compared to base models, however. A nice gadget if you have the space, but you have really got to like chips and they are slightly lower in fat (3%) compare to a main brand of oven chips (5%). Overall, yes the Actifry can cook other things, but I found it was usually easier to use normal cooking pots and pans and the oven.

Philips PerfectCare Azur Iron GC4910/10 - One Perfect Temperature Steam Iron, 180g Steam Boost
Price: 90.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems good enough but not as much of a technological leap as is suggested, 26 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Iron is nice, big and heavy when filled as it has a giant reservoir. I maintain that you need a heavy iron to iron clothes well as it's a combination of weight and tonnes of steam that works best for me anyway.

Plate temperatures are held constant at between 138 and 148 celsius depending where on the plate you measure. This I believe is around a low two star setting so this is a standard iron temperature. Even when having laid it down on a towel for five minutes, the hotplate is still this temperature so I am somewhat confused about the claims.

One gripe I have is that you fill it with the iron face down since the fill hole is on the top. Yet, the max fill level mark is on the side meaning you can only see whether you're full by standing the iron up. Why do iron manufacturers do these kind of things? It's just annoying.

So - where does that leave me? Well It does work and it does work well but having always chosen irons in the past that create a massive amount of steam and always "ironed with steam" (constantly pushing the steam button!) I've never burned a single garment anyway so the burning garments thing and this new technology they speak of, well, maybe a bit of a myth.

Overall though - this IS a good iron and it DOES iron well and it IS probably one of the best irons I've had, I'd thoroughly recommend it. But this is purely based on the fact that I've always ironed things on max temp/max steam anyway so I don't feel any loss of control. If you ever used that dial thing on your iron you might miss it here!

Bosch PSB 10.8 LI-2 Cordless Hammer Drill
Bosch PSB 10.8 LI-2 Cordless Hammer Drill
Price: 64.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A leap forward in technology for drill drivers, 26 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As the title, I can only see this as the near future of power tool technology. With ni-cd and ni-mh fading into obscurity and being replaced by li-ion and presumably eventually li-po (which the ipad and rc helicopters use). These technologies improve cordless tools by being initially more reliable, charging faster and with better charge technology, lighter, smaller, and able to deliver more power for the size and weight. So that's where the technology is heading, how about this screwdriver?

Don't be fooled by its product photo - it looks small and light like a puny screwdriver, lacking the bulk of a huge ni-cd battery pack. This can deceive you into thinking that it's a weak halfway house of a product that works well as a screwdriver but can't handle drilling well. You'd be wrong to assume this. It's a weighty tool and not to be underestimated.

I tested it on hammer mode on brick and it performed as well as or better than my ni-cd hammer drill of similar specification. It drilled 7mm diameter holes into solid hard 1930s brick (tough stuff!) for rawlplugs in around 20 seconds. That's pretty respectable for a cordless consumer drill.

Screw mode is equally powerful and the clutch can be adjusted and turned off.

There is no bit storage clip on the driver which is a bit annoying. An oversight I feel.

I really like the LED indicator on top that can tell you the charge level well in advance of the battery running low, so you won't start a job and have to stop halfway because the battery is dead (this is why I previously only ever bought drills with TWO ni-cd batteries!)

The only downsides really as far as I'm concerned is that a) the li-ion battery will have a defined lifespan, defined by the technology, I believe it's optimally around 2-3 years, regardless of how well you keep it, after which it will be useless and b) the batteries aren't cheap to replace, or worse, may not be available in 3 years. Buying a spare now won't help you - it will still die after the defined lifespan. This is increasingly worrying given the interchangeability with other tools - I guess the option is to buy another battery if you see them end of line on sale!

Overall though - given that I usually replace my screwdrivers every 3 years or so anyway as I get a LOT of use out of them, this is OK with me.

Tacwise. Cable Tacker. CT60. Data Cable.  Satellite Cable
Tacwise. Cable Tacker. CT60. Data Cable. Satellite Cable
Price: 25.16

5.0 out of 5 stars A real time saver!, 19 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well - I wish I knew this existed years ago. Gone now are the days of those ridiculous hammer in clip things - the nails with the bit of curved plastic that never go in properly and you keep dropping them, and hitting your thumb with the hammer. This thing is SO easy, I just wish there was one for brick too so I could use it outside!

Works on satellite cable, tv aerial cable, cat 5 network cable, etc. Not recommended for mains cable though, probably in case you go into the conductor by accident.

Definitely recommend - two thumbs up!

Revell Control Stunt Car Two Side (Yellow/Red)
Revell Control Stunt Car Two Side (Yellow/Red)
Offered by Toysworld
Price: 20.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun Toy!, 17 Jun 2014
review

A remote control car which flips over isn't exactly a new thing, so I wasn't expecting much, but this thing surprised me,

a) it's small, only slightly larger than the size of your hand

b) it's got an on board lithium battery, more like a helicopter than an RC car

c) it's FAST. Really fast.

I noticed you can change the speed it runs at using a rocker switch on the top, the slowest gives you good control indoors, but the fastest just makes the car go insane and flip over.

One of the best things is that when it flips, it has some kind of gyro on board so it knows it's flipped and carries on going the same direction, even though now technically it's facing backwards.

The tyres are foam sponge material and not rubber, so I'm not sure whether they will wear with a lot of use.

Revell Control RC Micro Helicopter Spike with Gyro (Infrared)
Revell Control RC Micro Helicopter Spike with Gyro (Infrared)
Price: 22.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 3 channel indoor heli - highly recommended, 26 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The helicopter is neat, small, has a good strong metal chassis and is a great colour too - orange. I've flown a few micro helicopters recently and this is the most stable 3 channel model I've flown, and it's great for indoor flying and simple to control so good for showing off.

Trim is not only easy but it's done by an analog dial on the top right edge of the controller. Being analog makes it very intuitive but also it is remembered! I wish more micro helis would implement this instead of the digital equivalents which have no user feedback at all.

The left stick is unsprung. This means you can set the main rotors to a certain level then let go of the stick. Or to put it more simply, the heli can hover unaided even when you let go of the stick. This takes some getting used to if you've never done it before but it's a great feature that you don't normally get on cheaper micro helis, at least without having to pull apart the controller and remove the spring. So this is great too.

The LED on the front is useless to be honest. You can turn it on and off from the controller which is cool but frankly the ones on the sides that indicate receiving data are brighter negating any "cool" factor of the "torch" LED function.

Moving around is pretty quick for a 3CH Nowhere near as quick as my 4CH but that's to be expected. Because it's a 3CH it can't turn and move at the same time ("bank"), if you want this you need the 4th channel. Generally that's reserved for more "hardcore" flyers.

It won't be suitable for outside at all - too small, too light.

Worth noting that the battery is not removable and the heli can only be charged by USB (or via a usb mains adapter). Unlike some, this one cannot be charged from the controller. However, the battery does seem to last a reasonable amount of time (at least 5 minutes).

Ultrasport Men's Key West Polo Shirt - Red, Medium
Ultrasport Men's Key West Polo Shirt - Red, Medium
Price: 49.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Bright and good quality but does not tumble dry, 22 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A good well made t-shirt with bright colours and a fully embroidered (not printed) logo. The material is a good strong looking one and the stitching is very well done, such that it should see many washes. Worth noting that the care label says wash at 40 and don't tumble dry, although I generally ignore those instructions personally and I can't see any obvious reason why it can't be tumble dried given the materials it's made of (100% cotton), but do so at your own risk I guess. It can be ironed on medium temp if you're into that sort of thing.

M-Trax Men's Dacite Mountain Bike - Grey, 20 Inch
M-Trax Men's Dacite Mountain Bike - Grey, 20 Inch
Price: 352.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Good comfortable well built bike, 22 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Let me start by saying that this is a very good bicycle. It looks good, it's good to ride, it's very stable and it's a joy to ride. So, any criticisms or points that might appear negative that I write below, they're minor, and more like tips than reasons you shouldn't buy this bike. So far I've ridden about 15 miles on it over three days, so although it's early days, I'm getting a good feel for it.

Things I like about it:
- Very stable as I mentioned above. I've ridden it briefly above 45km/h (downhill of course) and although I did feel somewhat scared, the bike wasn't a worry. It doesn't wobble and it doesn't feel dangerous. The brakes are great too, I've never had disc brakes before on a bike and they work the same as in a car, responsive and light to apply.

- The bike is also pretty fast on the flat for a mountain bike. Even though I've not ridden for a good while, I can easily hit well over 30km/h on level ground without feeling like I'm fighting the bike.

- Good gearing. 3 x 8, 3 on the front, 8 on the back. All the way from the "slower than walking" hill gear up to one that feels comfortable at around the 25-30km/h range.

- The seat. Previously when I have bought a bike, first order of business was to buy a gel seat or a wider seat for comfort. This seat is actually just fine, for me at least.

- The front suspension. It works really well actually, and you can change the tension which is a novelty. You can also lock it so you don't have suspension, though I'm not sure why you'd want to do that. You must adjust it as per the manual though.

- The paint. I just like the finish, it's not shiny, its more an eggshell finish, and a very good quality one too. It looks good.

Negative points:
- the gear changers are under the handlebar which means to change up a gear for the left changer can be a slight strain on the thumb. I'm getting used to it though.

- the manual is clear to read but not clear about the bike, if that makes sense. It isn't geared specifically towards this bike, I ended up making a couple of minor mistakes in assembly which I had to correct later. If the manual had been dedicated to this bike only with diagrams from this bike only instead of generic ones, those mistakes wouldn't have happened.

- for an aluminium frame, the bike is not as light as I'd expect. I've seen it quoted at 20kg. If you're looking for a bike to carry up and down stairs a lot, you might want a lighter bike.

Tips:

- When fitting the handlebar it may help to put a slight forward tilt on it so that the "M" printed on the front of it is halfway visible at the bottom of the hole in the post. This makes sense when you can see it. I found this was the best angle for reaching the brakes and the gear change levers.

- When fitting the front wheel, the brake disc must be central between the caliper (the bit that holds the brake pads) and this is adjusted by changing how tight the quick release axle is fastened. I had it too tight and this caused the brake disc to hit the pads on one side.

- if you're not sure, you can always get a bike shop to assemble for you or to check it over before riding.

- look up before you buy so that you get the right size frame. The 20" that I have is for people on the tall side. There are plenty of guides online where you put in height and leg length and it gives you frame size. Also look up how to adjust seat height so that you can get maximum power to the pedals.

- look up how to adjust and use gears properly. You may be surprised. I haven't been doing it right for years.

In summary, would I recommend this bike? Yes. Definitely.

Pampers S4 Giga BD - Pack of 120
Pampers S4 Giga BD - Pack of 120

5.0 out of 5 stars Reassuringly good at keeping the little one dry at night, 15 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Pampers baby dry are the preferred night time nappy for my little one. Compared to other brands (which are generally more expensive), these nappies still perform best of all with fewest leaks, which only occur if my little one decides to sleep in. This box is a big box which lasts quite a while, and the sizing is quite generous and size 4 will fit 7-18kg babies/toddlers. The nappies are super absorbent and my little one almost never gets nappy rash and seems very comfortable in these nappies compared to other brands which he tries to take off.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17