Profile for pufferfish > Reviews

Content by pufferfish
Top Reviewer Ranking: 202
Helpful Votes: 1925

pufferfish (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Walimex 2-in-1 109cm Reflex and Translucent Umbrella Diffuser - White
Walimex 2-in-1 109cm Reflex and Translucent Umbrella Diffuser - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems good enough to me!, 9 Feb. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I do have a smallish photo studio as I need it for various reasons beyond the scope of this review. I usually use various dishes and those "springy reflectors that go in bags and hit you in the face when unfolding" but I don't really use umbrellas as I don't do portraits, don't have room and usually end up tripping over them or spiking myself in the head by standing up under them. Same goes for this one - it's massive! Same size as a real golf umbrella I think (although I haven't measured).
The black fabric comes off easily, its a simple system where the ends of the spines have an extra cap which holds the black fabric, so you just pull each one off and you can lift off the black fabric and are left with just white. Which by the way looks like every other white photo fabric I've ever seen. Same stuff as a softbox or inside a "3 in 1 springy hit you in the face reflector".
The only downside I can think of with shooting through is that the spines of the brolly may show on your work - depending on distance and piece really. But that's a technique issue really.

One thing worth noting, unlike a softbox or reflector, you can't take the "white layer" off and just use silver reflector layer. You are effectively shooting through a white diffusion layer into a silver layer, back out of the white layer (plus some light will bounce off the white layer naturally). This will no doubt have an effect on the setting you have to use on your flash - higher than just a silver brolly, but whether that's notable or negligible is not going to be a question I can answer, I usually just home in on the right exposure manually or with a flash meter, I don't have the patience to use science!

Overall? It's absolutely fine. Very good value, no obvious flaws or weaknesses. Maybe not stand up to pro use especially if you travel with your kit and beat it around a lot, but for amateur or occasional pro, where you might need it once in a while but don't need the hassle of a softbox...boy are those things annoying to assemble...this should be good enough!

Ohuhu 3 Piece Softouch Garden Tool Set / Gardening Tool Set - Cultivator, Transplaner, Trowel
Offered by OhuhuDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Good solid yet light tool set, 29 Jan. 2016
Length:: 1:08 Mins

These tools are very light! They are metal, but they weigh almost nothing, so my best guess is aluminium. The fork I received was different as you can see in my video, but for me it's more useful than a mini rake thing.
As you can see, the tools are very shiny, strong, and in the case of the fork, thick too!
Please note they were provided for review by the manufacturer at no cost.

Ohuhu Garden Kneeler and Seat with Bonus Tool Pouch
Ohuhu Garden Kneeler and Seat with Bonus Tool Pouch
Offered by OhuhuDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Very sturdy seat, quite ample size!, 29 Jan. 2016
This is a really solid garden stool. Since it's so cold outside at the moment, I haven't yet been outside to do any gardening, that usually starts around march. However it is time to plant seeds, something I've been doing since around the end of December. I've been using this seat indoors to do that, and it's equally useful there!
For me, I use it more as a seat and less for kneeling, but it can be used for either, you just flip it over.
The metal it's made from is very thick, and it feels incredibly sturdy, for example it doesn't wobble around while you're sat on it, not at all.
Opening and closing is a little tricky, you might find if you have trouble with your hands or grip, you're better off opening it out once and leaving it open, theres no reason why you can't. It uses a spring bar to lock in the open position, so you have to pull this while you fold the leg down.
The seat itself (or kneeler) is two very dense foam pads, which won't absorb water. They're quite comfortable too.
Overall, definitely recommend, I will be getting good use out of this!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Etekcity® Mini Portable Digital Multimeter with Backlit LCD Display(DMM) Multi Tester Voltmeter Ammeter Ohmmeter - AC / DC Voltage, DC Current, Resistance, Continuity, Diodes Tester, Data Hold Function & Overload Protection, Battery Included
Offered by Etekcity Corporation

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent multimeter!, 29 Jan. 2016
Length:: 3:25 Mins

This is a fantastic little multimeter for any hobbyist to get hold of, it has most of the functions you need for most basic, and some advanced functions.
The hold and backlight are awesome features on a meter of this level, as is the square wave output, although most of us won't use that much. Still cool to have though.
See the video for me running a couple of tests on it.
Overall, 2 thumbs up. Really well built nice looking meter.

AmazonBasics Poly Cotton Duvet Set with 1 Pillowcase, Single - Twirl Stripes
AmazonBasics Poly Cotton Duvet Set with 1 Pillowcase, Single - Twirl Stripes

4.0 out of 5 stars Good basic set but colours stronger than expected, check other photos, 20 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This duvet set is composed of a relatively thick material for a "basic" range set. However, I must admit, the colours were a bit of a surprise, it looked quite neutral in the product photo but the item I received was a lot more purple and yellow. There's also quite a prominent weave to it too, which is only obvious from the closer photo and the photos other reviewers have posted (which are very good, so I don't really feel a need to re-photograph!)
Overall for the price at time of reviewing it's good value.

Bluetooth Headphones,iDeaUSA®Wireless Headphone Headset with Mic,14 Hours Playtime,Stereo Bass Sound,Over ear Foldable Headphones for Android Smartphones iPhone TV (Black/Silver)
Offered by WCB UK Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb headphones that outperform their price point by a mile!, 19 Jan. 2016
These headphones were sent to me as a sample for review.

These earphones came in a good box with a strong "EVA" (thats a sort of rubberised hard material) zip case which fits them perfectly when closed and has a pouch for the cables.
Charging is by micro-usb which is a standard cable, but one is included.
You can also use them directly with a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable which IS included.

Performance: These sound brilliant! I've got a few headphones (meaning over the head not earphones which are in the ear), and these are well up there with the best. Sound wise, are they as good as my grado or bose? Tough call, but they're not a world apart! I'm serious. If you're using £20 branded cans at the moment, or considering buying some, then definitely consider stretching out to these instead, they're a whole world better. The price may seem a bit "high" for unknown non-big-brand headphones, but the sound reproduction is on a level with headphones double the price or more. Bass response is great too although not as deep as bose for example, and distortion can happen at high volume levels that you should't be listening at, but I would be surprised if that wasn't the case.
Also noted: the unmistakeable "bluetooth background hiss" (in quiet bits and between sounds) is REALLY well managed, you can hardly hear it. Even my bose ones have a louder hiss. These things matter a lot if you're listening in a very quiet place or to music with quiet passages.

Comfort: a slight compromise here I guess. The cups are adjustable and they're not too tight even on my big head, but they don't sit over the ears as well as I'd like, the cups are rectangular and my ears aren't, I guess. That said, it's not a big deal. I've had more expensive sets that are much less comfortable. I'd happily wear these for an hour or so without feeling like my head's being crushed, and they don't seem to make the ears sweaty or painful.

Folding: yes - they fold up! It doesn't save much space but it does save some.

3.5mm jack: Hmm. Mine's bit crackly when you move it. Would recommend getting a better quality one. They're cheap enough and you probably have one lying around anyway. It's a standard part, not weird like the bose 3.5 to 2.5mm one I have for example. So no worries about losing it..

Leather: When you get them they really smell strongly of leather polish. Leave them out in the open air for a few days, by day 7 they didn't really smell at all. So don't get concerned about that when you first open them. Just leave them to air out. Maybe you like the smell of leather anyway. Me, I'm not a fan.

Build Quality: Really solid, strong pair of headphones. The headband is metal reinforced (some plastic but metal on the hinges for example) and padded leather which feels really nice. These won't break easily, the hinges have a particular attention to detail, a metal hinge which clicks into place.

Battery life: Ages. I'm still on first charge. In passive mode (with 3.5mm jack) it doesn't use battery which is probably one reason why!

Overall: Two thumbs up! Definitely recommend! You can't go wrong.

AmazonBasics 2-Slice Toaster, Black
AmazonBasics 2-Slice Toaster, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Well designed toaster, 13 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's a really well made toaster with a good finish and all the functionality you need with a toaster (which, let's face it, isn't much!). Although I suppose the slots aren't extra long or anything like that, I haven't bought any "warbutons" bread lately so I cant tell you if it fits.
At the time of review unfortunately I have no idea of the price, so I can't comment on that, if it's a budget item it's very well presented.
The bread warming bit for pastries etc is integrated which is great, you can't lose it, you just press the switch on one side and the rack pops up!
Cable is long enough for most people, I realise there's laws on how long they can be but some of the kitchen appliances lately literally only come with enough cable to reach the socket when the item is directly under it, thankfully a bit more here so you should be OK.

However there is one thing you should be aware of - it's obvious in the photo of the product that there's an "Amazon basics" logo on the front. It's not at all discreet, and you can't turn it round to face the wall as the buttons are on that side too. Not that there's anything wrong with the amazon brand over another one, but the whole "basics" bit....I'm not sure :)

Compatible Black Laser Toner Cartridge for Brother TN 2005 TN2005 for HL2035 HL2037 HL 2035 2037

1.0 out of 5 stars Leaked toner everywhere - went straight in the bin., 6 Jan. 2016
This is a third party refilled 'compatible' toner that should fit a Brother 2035 laser printer - the one I received, although very securely wrapped with bubble wrap, the cartridge was cracked inside and as soon as the bag was opened, the cartridge fell out along with most of the black toner which made the most incredible mess, all over me, the carpet and anywhere in a half metre radius of opening the package and a completely ruined handheld vacuum cleaner trying to clean up the mess and resulting in the cartridge and all its packaging and all the going straight into the bin.

Plush Soft Toy Marble Lop Eared Rabbit. 30cm. (Assorted colours)
Plush Soft Toy Marble Lop Eared Rabbit. 30cm. (Assorted colours)
Offered by Toypost

5.0 out of 5 stars Really realistic looking bunny rabbit soft toy, 6 Jan. 2016
This is a really realistic looking bunny soft toy. I ordered this as a present for a bunny mad little girl and she declared that it was perfect and looked just right (apart from the feet look slightly different to an actual real rabbit). Its fur is super soft - and the detail on this rabbit is beautiful, right down to the lion rosettes in the fur. The colour of the rabbit is sent at random and I received a greyish coloured rabbit, so it is a bit of a rabbit lottery as to which colour you will receive.

AmazonBasics Non Stick Fry Pan, Set of 2
AmazonBasics Non Stick Fry Pan, Set of 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Non-Stick Frying Pans that work on an induction cooker!, 6 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was really pleased with these pans. They work perfectly on an induction cooker and unlike some of the other induction suitable frying pans than I have, it heats the pans up evenly without hot spots and was able to fry eggs without burning them. The smaller pan is great for frying a couple eggs or if you are cooking for one, and the larger of the two pans is more versatile for cooking for more than one or for making pancakes. They are non-stick so very little oil is required and very easy to wash. The handles have a good grip and they are a decent weight, comparable with other branded non-stick frying pans.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20