Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Tacwise 180 NAIL ASSORTMENT PACK (4000) 18G
Tacwise 180 NAIL ASSORTMENT PACK (4000) 18G

5.0 out of 5 stars A reasonable assortment of nail sizes!, 17 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As has already been mentioned, it's actually harder than you think to write a review for nails, or to put it another way, so long as they work as expected, there's nothing to say - it's rare to come across nails that don't work, although I'm sure such a thing exists!

One thing I have noted is that they appear to be made of a rust resistant material and they appear to have been lightly spray coated with what is normally mineral oil, you can't feel it but you can smell it. This is generally done to prevent corrosion in storage and is a good thing. You'd be surprised how many uncoated tools, nails, etc can go rusty in a shed or garage in a fairly short time - I lost a few tools in a garage recently that way so I notice these things now.

There's three sizes and they are "universal", but also they all fit the tacwise guns that I've used - the 181ELS and 191ELS. Both are identical to the unaided eye, but the 191ELS is a superior model because it can also fire staples (not paper staples...wood staples). Both of those guns are fantastic, by the way, if you're also looking for one of those.

Be sure to knock these nails all the way in too, I recently (today in fact) scraped my thumb on one of these that was sticking out of a table, and boy does it hurt. The heads are pretty sharp, this is the case for any nailgun nail. The irony being that you have to carry a hammer to finish the job more often than not!

One final tip - as soon as you get them, remove them from this bizarre packaging and put them in a box, bag, whatever. I guarantee they will spill out of this box given time - indeed they arrived spilled when delivered to me. It's not a big deal, but it did cost me a few minutes sorting them back into the box, then having a think, then finding a smaller more sensible and more airtight container for them.

Tacx T1000 Antares Rollers Bike Trainer
Tacx T1000 Antares Rollers Bike Trainer

5.0 out of 5 stars Rollers! Good for anyone who wants to ride inside!, 13 Dec 2014
There's a lot of conflicting information out there about rollers, and it seems there's a lot of bike snobbery too, especially on bike forums. I found it very hard to decide whether I'd be able to use these or not as a consequence.

So I bought them anyway, and I'm glad I did.

I have a mountain bike, what they like to call a "hardtail" but I tend to refer to it as a bike. It has, or had, massive knobbly tyres that it came with from the factory. I spend most of my time on the road or cycle paths and the primary reason I don't have a road bike is that they cost so much. So the tyres are something I've been vaguely aware of as something that "adds resistance" for a while. It's been on my "to do" list.

So when I received, assembled, and tried to ride my "bike" on these rollers I was surprised initially by how hard it was to not fall over, but also surprised that you can actually ride it with massive knobbly tyres and a plain old "bike". In normal clothes too. Imagine that. A minute or two later, I realised it's also quite hard work compared to normal cycling, something you tend to do in "bursts", between freewheeling. There's no freewheeling on this thing - and that's what makes it hard.

It took me about 15 minutes or so over 3 sessions before I was able to ride without holding something for balance. I still couldn't ride for more than 5 minutes without getting extremely tired. I've ridden in excess of 30 miles outside in a single day on said bike with knobbly tyres so it was somewhat of a surprise that I couldn't manage more than a few minutes without having to stop. But I had a thought. Perhaps all this was being made harder by having knobbly tyres. Well, of course it was. But by how much?

So next day I ordered some slick tyres - yes you can get them for a mountain bike - some schwalbe city jet 26 x 1.95. They arrived, I spent a good hour wrestling them on, and then had another go on the rollers. Much quieter! And much less resistance, as expected.

After a few days of practice I can now balance and ride for around 35 minutes. Resistance (and therefore how hard work it is) is fully controlled by the gear you're in. Don't underestimate this, in the higher gears you'll feel it.

Annoyances? Well the stupid rubber band thing falls off if you so much as trip over it, and that's something I do a lot. I imagine it will break from all this falling off and being wrestled back on. Also, either my bike is somehow super long, or the frame doesn't go long enough to allow my front wheel to sit in the right place. Or I'm being stupid. All three are possible explanations!

Overall - very happy. I'm fed up of this time of year with the rain and cold outside, not to mention the "presents" left under fallen leaves by the inconsiderate local dog owners. Of which in my area it seems there are many. So to be able to have what feels like a real ride - and it does feel like a real ride - in the house, it's great. I'd recommend these to anyone with a bike, any bike. You don't need an amazing expensive bike that makes you look like some kind of streamlined horizontal ninja with your rear end higher than your head, you just need one that works and has gears and has fairly smooth tyres, the smoother the better.

Oh and one final tip. Always, always have a stool next to these rollers. The rollers raise the bike about 8 inches, so if you think you can get up onto the bike at that height, well, feel free to try. Getting on and off with a stool is easy and there's no shame in it - it's a bike, not a horse. Stool is the way forward. Go with the stool.

[SD TF MS M2 Card Reader HUB] Inateck 7-in-1 3-Port Micro USB 2.0 HUB OTG Camera Connection Kit MS, M2, SD(HC), TF Card Reader Adapter For Samsung Galaxy S5 | Samsung Galaxy Note 3 III | Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 | Tab Pro 12.2 | HTC One M8 | Nokia Lumia 2520 | Lenove Thinkpad 8 IdeaTab | LG G3 Pad | Sony Xperia Z2 / Z1 / Ultra | Dell Venue 7 / 8 / Pro Android Smart Phone Tablet PC
Offered by Inateck

5.0 out of 5 stars A Docking Station for your USB-OTG phone or tablet!, 13 Dec 2014
Length:: 5:27 Mins

Note - I received this item in exchange for an honest review, which I have provided. Overall the item gets five stars, if I could give it more, I would. It worked flawlessly throughout the making of the video and in other tests using other tablets/phones and some crazy devices that you'd never normally want to use with a phone.
It's very small - pocket sized - and for keyboard/mouse use I didn't have to supply external power. For connecting a Canon SLR it did require external power but this was supplied with a USB portable power bank seen in the video. This worked fine, I tested it with another 'cheapo' power bank too, and it worked on this too. So it's taken everything I've thrown at it, and I can't fault it.

Naturalight 2 in 1 Magnifying Lamp
Naturalight 2 in 1 Magnifying Lamp

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for working in darker rooms in winter!, 8 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I quite liked the idea of a lamp that can sit on the floor or on a table depending what I'm doing.
My eyesight is perfect as it happens, but I still need one of these for surface mount soldering (TINY components!) and also for checking my greenhouse plants for bugs - some are particularly small and previously I've used anything from a USB microscope to a loupe or a hand held magnifier. With one that can stand on its own, this allows both hands to be free to use tweezers, soldering iron, whatever.
Both tasks mentioned also need a lot of light - so this product is very exciting. Having LEDs in a ring around the edge of the magnifying lens means no shadow. No shadow means no problem seeing. Awesome.
You can also use this as a desk lamp quite happily, so if you need a desk lamp as well as a magnifying lamp - this is your product.

So that's enough pros - what about the cons? Well I confess, I haven't bought a great deal of magnifying glasses in the past, but I was disappointed to discover this is actually a "magnifying plastic". The lens is plastic. Whilst this will make it lightweight, it will make it more prone to scratches. The second point being that I noticed a lot of "chromatic aberration" (sorry - photo geek talking) on the subject being magnified. Or to translate that into English - the colours get separated on the edges of stuff. So a black thing on a white background has a yellow band on the edge. This was quite notable with the LEDs on, but not notable at all with them off. So I suspect it's something many if not all single lens magnifiers have but you wouldn't notice without a bright spotlight!
Finally - and this is nitpicking really - but it would have been technically better in my opinion to use AA size battery holder instead of C size. I shall elaborate on that point in hopes that the manufacturer might consider it in future. Rechargeables generally come in AA size these days, and have capacities well over the 2000mAh range. Which is usually higher than the capacity of rechargeable C size batteries - for reasons unknown. And many chargers won't take C batteries either. So, people like myself who prefer the truly green option of rechargeables will have to buy AA to C battery converters to use this on batteries. It's not a show stopper, because many of us already have these, but just a point that I feel obliged to share.

So, overall, I see this item as one I'll be using a lot, and I'm glad I have it. I can recommend it. But do yourself a favour and get some battery converters and rechargeable AAs if you plan to run on battery instead of mains - which I do recommend because it's one less cable to trip over.

NOCO Genius Boost UltraSafe GB30 Jump Starter 12 V Lithium
NOCO Genius Boost UltraSafe GB30 Jump Starter 12 V Lithium

5.0 out of 5 stars A Jump starter, a torch, and a phone/tablet charger in the meantime!, 8 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The primary function of this device might be to jump start a vehicle - but unless your vehicle is

constantly in need of jump starting, which is unlikely since these types of incidents tend to quickly

lead to a fix - new car batteries being easy to obtain once you can actually use the car, so the

primary function of the device will inevitably be it's "side" features. Those being:

-- A portable charger. I have a portable charger that I bought a while back and I use it a lot. It contains about a single charge for my phone. Compared to that, this thing is a powerhouse, it holds an unstated [in the manual] amount of mAh but I think it must be around 7Ah, because the insanely large battery in my note 2 phone is 3100mAh, and I get at least two full charges out of it. Great for camping!
And it charges my phones and tablets from zero up to full power, without any issues - I've had some problems with emergency chargers randomly powering down in the past, this one does not.

-- a pretty good torch. There's two corners that have LEDs inside them, and they're plenty bright enough to illuminate a tent, car boot, whatever you want really.

Now one thing I hate about things like emergency items is that you typically end up having them kicking around or stored in an obscure location until you may or may not need them. We don't all have houses big enough to store stuff like an emergency jump starter the size of a small bag of potatoes just in case one day the car won't start. And that is precisely why I like this item - you can use it every day to charge your phone while you wait for the one day the car won't start. No wasted space in the meantime. And there's a much higher chance you'll have it with you on that day, but do be sure to always carry the actual jump leads with you in the boot of the car!

So - to the "primary" function of the device, it looks pretty simple to use for bog standard jump starting. There's some protection override which looks pretty scary, I rather hope I won't have to use it, but 400 amps at 12v being the stated output, I have to wonder how that's technically possible without starting a fire! Anyway, in spite of our car having the battery light flickering intermittently recently, the device is still on standby - but it's ready for that day when the inevitable happens, at which point you can be sure I'll be back to update this review.

Overall in summary, the price is high for an emergency phone charger, and it's also not cheap compared to jump leads, but if you don't expect anyone to help you out when your car battery goes or just don't want the inconvenience, AND especially if you like to be away from power sockets but like your phone to keep going for days at a time - it's money well spent. It's also a lot more robust than any other emergency charger I've ever seen, I imagine it's nearly indestructible.

Carte Noire No.6 Lungo Nespresso Compatible Coffee Capsules 56 g (Pack of 4)
Carte Noire No.6 Lungo Nespresso Compatible Coffee Capsules 56 g (Pack of 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good alternative coffee pods., 5 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you like Carte Noire ground coffee, you can now get it in Nespresso coffee pods. These pods work fine in my very old model Nespresso machine and there were no problems. This blend of coffee is a six on the scale of intensity with a pleasant flavour and aroma though not as strong as a breakfast blend of coffee. It's nice to have a range of choice of coffee pods that are readily available as not everyone has a Nespresso shop near them.

Seagate Barracuda 3.5 inch 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB 6GB/S Internal SATA Drive
Seagate Barracuda 3.5 inch 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB 6GB/S Internal SATA Drive
Offered by Express Computer Bits

1.0 out of 5 stars They all failed. Every last one., 30 Nov 2014
This is the third of three of these disks to fail within a 2 year period. The good news is that thankfully I now have no more of these disks left to fail. The bad news is I can't send them back for RMA because I had sensitive company data on them. So seagate gets away with selling me faulty disks knowing very well that there's a good chance I'll be unwilling to return them!
On the flip side - other disks I've been running in the same servers for the same amount of time (some for nearly five years) are all working. I won't tell you the manufacturer of my other disks, but let's just say it begins with a W and ends in estern Digital.
Meanwhile I'll be taking a hammer to my latest failed ST2000DM001 for stress relief while I rebuild the server.

CSL - TM137U optical mouse / vertical model | ergonomic design - prevention against mouse arm/tennis arm (RSI syndrome) - particularly arm-friendly | wireless | 5 buttons
Offered by CSL-Computer

5.0 out of 5 stars Actually pretty good!, 30 Nov 2014
I bought this to use on my laptop as I both hate the touchpads on laptops and hate small cordless mice. On my desktop I use a gaming mouse simply because those are larger, but I didn't want to carry one of those around as theyre heavy and cost a lot!

So it works well, it's big enough, it hardly weighs anything and the dongle stores underneath too so great for travel.
It works fine on any surface including sofa, leg, all of which I use while on the laptop!

In terms of comfort and grip, initially I didn't like it, but after a day or two I've gotten used to it and can say that although my fingers are a bit too long, it's still a lot more comfortable than the mouse I had before. I can't vouch for any RSI solving magic as I don't really consider myself to have chronic RSI, I simply use a mouse too much and with tablets and so on, occasionally I'll do myself a mischief where I have pins and needles or arm pain for a few days and that can be annoying. I use those gel rests and so on. So anything that helps with comfort and grip, all the better.

So overall - would recommend anyone to try it - if you don't like it, it hasn't exactly cost you much.

[New Arrival] iClever® IC-BTS02 Enhanced Bass + Rechargeable Portable Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 Speaker with Super-Sized 5W Driver, Built-in Microphone, Powerful Sound for MP3 Players, Smart Phones, Pads, Laptops & Other Devices -[Zinc Alloy Shell]
Offered by Elecsmart

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little unit!, 28 Nov 2014
What surprised me most about this unit when it arrived was the attention to build quality. I've had three Bluetooth speakers in the past, and every one of them was 100% plastic in construction, and it wasn't obvious until I received this unit that it’s made from two solid pieces of highly polished metal - it looks smart as a consequence. Whilst this does add to the weight, it still checks in at around 280g which is less than a can of cola.

Which leads me on to the photo I've taken - it’s smaller than a can of cola by quite some. It’s definitely the smallest Bluetooth speaker I've had, but not quite as small as the x-mini I own (which is not Bluetooth).

Charging and syncing are both straightforward, there are no tricks here, it’s micro-usb and the Bluetooth just syncs without a password on power up. It will also try to find the last synced device which I found reliable if it’s in range and Bluetooth is on.

There are media controls on the base. For volume controls on unit, you hold down the fast forward or reverse media controls, it is marked also +/- but a single touch will change track. Media controls worked fine on my android phone. A double click of the Bluetooth/call button on the front will perform an action - I think this might be customisable, but for me, it called the last person again, i.e. redial. I will look into whether it’s possible to program it to voice control instead, this would be handy.

On to sound quality. This is unfortunately a very subjective area and one I find difficult to review on any small speaker because the laws of physics really do play and you will never get night club sound out of something the size of your fist. That said - technology has really come a long way in the last few years, and there are ways of pushing extra sound and bass out of a small speaker driver. Those are employed here, so I doubt you’ll be disappointed. Bass is well defined for the size but is ‘muddy’ like every speaker this size since the dawn of time. There’s enough mid-range, and plenty of the higher end which thankfully isn't notably distorted. What is notable however is the incredible volume it can put out.

Call quality is crystal clear. I test called a friend and explained to them that I was testing a new speaker, they actually remarked on how it seemed clearer than my phone’s inbuilt mic. So I really can recommend this as a hands-free desk conference call/speaker phone unit.

In summary - I can’t fault this unit at all. It’s the perfect compromise of size and sound quality, any bigger and it would be awkward to carry, any smaller and it would sound a lot worse. And you’re going to find the call quality tough to beat.
Comment Comment | Permalink

OxyLED® Q6 Portable 4-Level Brightness LED Lamp /Lantern, Rechargeable USB Charging + Built-in Battery for Fishing /Camping /Hiking /Tent / Emergency - White
Offered by Elecsmart

5.0 out of 5 stars Very lightweight and portable light bar for anything from car maintenance to camping, 28 Nov 2014
Length:: 0:17 Mins

Note - I received this item from the supplier in exchange for product evaluation and unbiased review.

This light stick, for want of better description, reminds me of a fluorescent tube rather than a glow stick, although it's the size of a large glow stick - it's much brighter.

Internally it contains a row of LEDs which are so bright and close together its hard to count them, it looks like around 30. These are behind a plastic semi-opaque half cylinder - note that it's a half cylinder, the light spread is 180 degrees more or less. The other half of the tube is a finely corrugated metal which I presume serves to contain the batteries.

On the subject of batteries, this is a self contained unit. Its batteries are li-ion rather than the lighter but more volatile li-polymer, which is good in my opinion. The batteries hold 1800mAh according to the spec, so on 2W at full brightness at an assumed 5 volts this is around 4 hours of power. The manual says 3-72, so I'm inclined to believe this is true (flashing = 72 hours , full power = 3 hours). You will be fine in most camping applications on the lowest light level.

I took the unit into the garage which is pitch black - with the unit on you can light the entire garage but you do have to mount the unit pretty high up. It also occurred to me that units like this but a lot more expensive are sold as car maintenance lamps - this would do the job!

Attached (hopefully!) is a video I've taken with constant iso/shutter/aperture meaning the exposure is the same on each one - this will hopefully give you a relative idea of each brightness setting. There are ceiling halogen spots pointing at my desk so the initial "dark" is still fairly bright, giving you an idea how bright even the lowest setting is.

A tip: You can easily turn the unit off by holding the button down for a couple of seconds instead of clicking it - this takes you straight to "off" saving you having to cycle through the flashing modes.
Another Tip: Put some sticky back velcro on the metal side so you can easily attach it to anything, then it becomes a quick remove light bulb for a tent, or a shed!

Overall I'm very pleased with this item - it's light in weight, and bright in output both of which are great for camping or travelling. It's not a torch, it fulfils a totally different purpose. I will use it a lot in my greenhouse and shed when at home too with my velcro tip above. Two thumbs up!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20