Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
Melissa & Doug English Alphabet Dinosaur Colouring Pad
Melissa & Doug English Alphabet Dinosaur Colouring Pad
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Giant pad - what else would you expect for giant dinosaur fans?, 31 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Wow! What an enormous colouring pad! I guess when you order things online you have a mental image of what you're getting, but this thing exceeded expectations by about 100%. It's possibly the biggest colouring pad you've ever seen - I'd advise buying a whole new set of colouring pens for this one because you're going to be using a lot of ink here!
But thumbs up from me and our toddler - he knows the names of a lot of dinosaurs so it was nice to go through them and let him learn some more of them. How he remembers names like "pachycephalosaurus" is beyond me.

The book is alphabetized, meaning one dinosaur per letter although some share the page - for example tyrannosaurus and triceratops are on a page, because they're both "must have" dinosaurs in a colouring book. I think they had some trouble choosing! Most of the favourites are there, but I'm slightly dissapointed there's no pterodactyl...probably a good thing, imagine trying to explain the spelling of THAT!

Only problem now is we're going to need an industrial sized fridge to put his "artwork" on!

Cafe Pod Nespresso Compatible Intense x(Pack of 4, Total 40 Pods)
Cafe Pod Nespresso Compatible Intense x(Pack of 4, Total 40 Pods)
Price: 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice pleasant coffee, but a bit over packaged, 30 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These coffee pods fit our Krups Nespresso machine without any trouble, unlike some other Nespresso 'compatible' coffee pods we have tried which jammed in our machine. Each packet comes with ten pods which are plastic, unlike the aluminum pods that are produced by Nespresso, so feels a little tackier than the premium original pods, but they still worked effectively and didn't jam or burst when trying to use it.. Each pod is individually wrapped with a shiny metallic plastic wrapper, perhaps to make them feel more premium? However, this does seem a bit like over the top and excessive packaging and not as recyclable. The coffee produced from this pod was a nice strong expresso which I found had a nutty flavour and pleasant aroma, and was lovely when added to milk to make a latte. A nice coffee and an alternative from the Nespresso standard offerings..

Oral-B Trizone 4000 Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush Powered by Braun
Oral-B Trizone 4000 Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush Powered by Braun
Price: 59.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Good All Round Electric Toothbrush, 28 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good all round electric toothbrush with some nice features. First of all, it does clean very well and comes supplied with three larger more traditional shaped brush heads which will keep you going for quite some time. The main feature is that it has a two minute timer which after cleaning each 'quadrant' of your mouth for 30 seconds, it will briefly intermittently pulsate to tell you to move onto the next quadrant until you finally complete your two minutes where there will be a longer pulsation to tell you that the two minutes are up. Another nice feature is the pressure sensor which tells you when you are cleaning to hard, Even after using an electric toothbrush for many years, I cannot get out of the habit of trying to manually brushing at the same time, which is when it triggers the red light to tell you you are brushing too hard. There are four modes that the toothbrush can operate and pressing the on switch in quick succession will toggle between standard, gum care, sensitive and teeth whitening modes. How effective each of the modes are would depend on if you require them. Overall a nice looking toothbrush with some decent and useful features.

Asus EeePad Transformer Prime TF201 10.1 inch Tablet with Keyboard/Dock - Champagne Gold (Nvidia Tegra 3 Quad Core 1.3GHz, RAM 1GB, Storage 32GB eMMC, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Android 4.0)
Offered by Xtreme

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty poor at best, wish I hadn't bought it., 28 Aug 2014
I wanted a FAST tablet with a keyboard. Being a highly acclaimed "Tegra 3" I chose this one. Oh, I wish I hadn't.
The tablet is slow. It's slower than the nexus 7 that was less than half the price.
As for the keyboard, well, unfortunately it's nearly unusable as most applications have so much lag on the keyboard it's just ridiculous.
Frankly - a couple years on - it's one of my biggest and most expensive mistakes. I later bought a "note 2" phone and I still use that for pretty much everything - it's faster and better than this tablet, in every way.

Asus X5550CA 15.6-inch Notebook (Red) - (Intel Celeron 1007U 1.5GHz, 6GB RAM, 750GB HDD, DVDRW, WLAN, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8)
Offered by Tribal UK
Price: 359.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good enough - but only on balanced or high performance mode, 28 Aug 2014
I picked up this laptop around 4 months ago so I could do work away from the office. The main deciding factor was the windows 8+touch screen combination for the price. Interestingly the touch screen isn't mentioned on the product description here but this is the same serial number that I bought, 550CA-CJ683H.

The laptop's performance is OK, when on balanced or high performance mode. Put it in battery save mode and it's pretty abysmal even for basic web surfing if you have a few tabs open. However, the key is to always run it on balanced or better, even if you're on battery. Then it's capable of most tasks, including adobe illustrator/photoshop. Obviously this means battery life is significantly lower than you'd expect, somewhere around 2 hours on these modes.

Obviously games are out of the question but when at home I do play games on steam via their new streaming function, this works flawlessly as the laptop is only effectively streaming video which it's more than capable of. You can play pretty much any game that your home desktop can handle using this method - if your home network can handle it.

Wireless is "n" which is acceptable. Speeds are fine, no issues there.

Touch pad is excellent and responsive. So is the screen. Build quality is excellent.

Overall I'm happy with it.

Philips Shaver Series 3000 with CloseCut Blades and Flexing Heads HQ6986/16
Philips Shaver Series 3000 with CloseCut Blades and Flexing Heads HQ6986/16
Price: 40.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A Basic model but good shave, although be aware there's no pop up trimmer, 27 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I always use the rotary type shavers because I've always found they work better and faster. This shaver is of course no exception. All the Philips razors I've ever owned in my whole life have been excellent, easy to use and durable. And so is this one.

However one point to note is that at the time of reviewing, the product description says there's a pop up sideburn/moustache trimmer, but this isn't true. Hopefully they will adjust this soon but until then, be aware of this.

This is a dry shave razor so it lacks the advantages of higher models, for example being able to wash it under a tap when you've finished.

The one hour charge is great, because I'm almost always in a rush and rarely have enough ability to plan ahead, so the shorter I have to charge it the better.

Overall if you shave daily then this is a good model for you, but if you tend to allow the beard to grow a bit, or have moustache or sideburns, then it's likely you need the pop up trimmer and should go for one of the models that actually has it.

Melissa & Doug Reusable Sticker Pad Bundle
Melissa & Doug Reusable Sticker Pad Bundle
Price: 9.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly durable vinyl "stickers", 27 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When you see "sticker album" you assume they'll be sticky, and that means stuck everywhere. Carpet, sofa, walls, we've been there. Sometimes easy to get off, sometimes permanent.
However, these aren't stickers. They're more like a car "window sticker", meaning they're a plastic vinyl type material that sticks onto shiny surfaces with static only. Or I think it's static. Either way, it works, it's fabulous, and our toddler can do it. As has been mentioned the stickers are initially very hard to remove so this is something ideally suited for playing with a parent as opposed to without. Bending the page backwards eases the removal of stickers.

You get a LOT of stickers, each book has 5 full pages of stickers and 5 pages to stick them on, the pages to stick them on are called "scenes" and these are thicker card so they will last if looked after.
You can pull the pages out but I don't think we will be in a rush to do this, as in my experience a page removed is a page lost. As a book with all the pages attached these are great for travelling with.

Babies Firsts Coolmax Tri-Fold Travel Cot Mattress (95 x 65 x 2.5 cm)
Babies Firsts Coolmax Tri-Fold Travel Cot Mattress (95 x 65 x 2.5 cm)
Price: 22.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice soft and fold-able travel cot mattress but does not come with a travel bag for storage., 24 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This mattress fitted perfectly in to our Red Kite travel cot with no gaps and should fit into many standard hotel supplied travel cots we have encountered. The mattress has a removable cover which can be washed. The mattress is tri-fold (folded three times) and though its foot print is actually bigger than our travel cot when it is folded up!

This is a really handy addition to a travel cot as the standard mattress that comes with our travel cot is quite thin and hard and this soft addition met with approval from our little one. It is very useful for holidays or when the little one is staying away from home. However this model does not come with a travel bag to keep it clean.

Review Update - There was an error in the listing when I received this item stating that it came with a travel bag - it does not (and the listing has since been corrected by the supplier), and the customer service from Babies Firsts were very helpful and resolved this issue. The next model up, Babies Firsts Coolmax Tri-Fold Travel Cot Mattress with Carry Bag (95 x 65 x 2.5 cm) does come with a drawstring bag, which is the one that I would prefer as it is more transportable.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 27, 2014 11:05 AM BST

Vax P86-P2-P Pressure Washer
Vax P86-P2-P Pressure Washer
Price: 108.46

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot more powerful than expected, 21 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The last time I used a pressure washer was a cheap one back in around 2003, which is probably what put me off pressure washers until now. The old model I had was apparently a bit weak and the heads didn't work that well. All this didn't become apparent until I tried this model today. This one is seriously powerful and in less than an hour I've managed to strip our entire (small) rear patio of the grime that's been there since we moved in. I never realised the patio wasn't black, actually. I also cleaned the PVC window frames and sills while I was at it, again with the power head, and it managed to get them back to white again.

So, the machine comes about 90% assembled and all you have to do is put the black handle on, two screws go in (phillips head #2 - screwdriver not provided - make sure you have a long handled one) and you're ready to go. Connect hose to back (standard garden hose click fitting), pressure hose goes in the front, trigger handle on the hose, extension piece if wanted (you do want it!) and nozzle. Good to go!
There's a range of heads, but the one I liked best was the power head, the one that says "do not use on car". It's the best one for the patio I found, I didnt really like the brush one that much but I can see why it might be good, especially in minimising splashback. Perhaps if the patio hadn't been so black it would have worked better. But for me, it was the power head.

You don't get any sample soap with it so pick some up if you plan to use it. You also would benefit from the car wash brush accessory which is not in this set if you plan to do a car.
The hose is REALLY long. I did the whole patio without moving the unit much at all.

In summary - this is a great easy to use pressure washer that does its job well and is quite powerful, and I really like the long hose and the long spray extension head! Definitely recommend!

Delicious. Love to Cook: 140 Irresistible Recipes to Revitalise Your Cooking
Delicious. Love to Cook: 140 Irresistible Recipes to Revitalise Your Cooking
by Valli Little
Price: 12.91

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully Presented, Eclectic Variety, Some Ingredients Hard to Obtain, 21 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an eclectic collection of delicious looking dishes with beautiful photographs to try inspire an adventurous cook to try something a little bit different. The book is split into different sections: Eggs, Soups and Starters, Seafood, Poultry, Meat, Pasta Noodles & Rice, Vegetables, Salads, Desserts, Cakes and Bakes, Fruit and Festive. There is also some menu suggestions in the back if you are planning on doing some entertaining. Interspersed between the chapters are some recipes for basic recipes such as mayonnaise, custard etc.. Most of the recipes are for 4 rather generous servings, though some of the desserts and cakes serve more. If you are only cooking for 2, just halve the ingredients. There is no nutritional information for each of the dishes as I suspect if there was, some may be put off making some of the dishes as some of the recipes are quite decadent! There is a real mixture of different dishes inspired from all around the world.

Most of the recipes in this book you are going to have to plan ahead to make and some of the ingredients are quite costly or hard to get even if you live in a big city, however, in the case of some of the spices, they are used several times within the book, so it is less likely to be something you only use once before it languishes in your larder, never to be used again.

Some of the ingredients in the recipes are a very specialist and will take some time to track down - and some I had to look up on the internet to find out what they were! Not everyone is going to find shichimi togarashi, panch phoran, black turtle beans, fresh kaffir lime leaves, yuzu, shiso leaves, pomegranate molasses and sumac etc in their local supermarket. Some you will either end up going online to purchase or go on a hunt in specialist grocers and delicatessens. I sent my other half on a quest to look for panch phoran spice mix at our local very large supermarkets (Tesco and Asda) after seeing the recipe for Indian Spiced Prawns with Fresh Coconut and wanting to try it as we had most of the ingredients at home. Neither supermarket stocked this so I had to improvise with what the supermarkets had on offer. The cookbook does not often suggest alternatives ingredients, which would have been useful. The recipe I tried was very tasty and the instructions easy to follow, though it looked nothing like the photograph of the dish and it required seasoning to taste (as that was not mentioned in this recipe).

This is a book to inspire you with interesting twists on dishes, and has lots of pretty pictures that even had my other half who is more reserved with food wanting to try the recipes out. There are quite a few recipes I would like to try including Three Milks Cake, Egg and Meatball Shaskshouka and Wasabi Crumbed Chicken which I intend to try, just as soon as I have tracked down all the required ingredients, which is also part of the fun of this book. A lovely book to dip into if you love cooking and want to try something new or just to get new ideas.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19