Profile for pufferfish > Reviews

Content by pufferfish
Top Reviewer Ranking: 683

pufferfish (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Philips SC2008/11 IPL Lumea Precision Plus Hair Regrowth Prevention System
Philips SC2008/11 IPL Lumea Precision Plus Hair Regrowth Prevention System

5.0 out of 5 stars Early days but very impressed so far, 2 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Be sure to read the instructions; the quick start instructions are great and the fact that they are printed in colour really helps when determining your appropriate power setting based on skin and hair tone. They are very wordy though so allow yourself half an hour to read them. I would advise reading the instructions carefully - there are lots of safety warnings!

The handset initially feels light in the hand with a good-sized handle which I found I was able to use comfortably in either hand and even upside down. After a while it can start to feel a little heavy, particularly when you’re holding unusual poses for those tricky to reach areas, but a quick adjustment of grip and change of arms fixes this.

The system comes with interchangeable heads for different areas of the body which are easy to identify by the small symbols printed near the lens. They are easy to detach and replace; but not so easy that they fall off which robust handling.

Controls are easy and intuitive. The large ‘ready’ indicator light makes pacing of treatments easy and provides a target to look at so you aren't looking towards the intensely bright flash. The size of the indicator also means you can see it clearly even when treating hard-to-reach areas. The process is quick, taking around 2 seconds between pulses, so that even the small treatment areas permit didn't prevent me from doing my lower leg in around 8 minutes. Overall both legs, including the required initial shave, took me little over 45 minutes - easy to fit into a fortnightly routine.

Initial use took a few minutes of practice, particularly over bony areas like knees, but once you get the hang of it its quick and easy. The integrated fan for cooling the electronics and flash gun is quiet and discreet, but the intensity of the light pulses will make it difficult to do while your other half is sleeping.

The retail box is great, but bulky, so I expect most people would opt for the small zip bag for keeping the IPL gun and accessories together. The bag has a neat pocket for the extra lenses and wall charger but you will struggle for space - and I’d prefer it if there was room to keep the quick start manual inside for reference. I imagine I’ll end up finding an alternative bag to keep it all together.

Overall - love it, looks great, easy to use, great quality construction and well designed. Can’t speak for how effective it is after only one use, but I look forward to finding out!

HooToo® 7-Port USB 3.0 Hub, 2 Smart Charging Ports (12V/5A Power Adapter, USB 3.0 Cable, VIA VL812-B2 Chipset)
Offered by Sunvalleytek-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars High spec USB hub for the demanding user!, 2 May 2015
The main thing you notice when you receive this item is how heavy the box is for a hub. This is explained by the fact that it's powered by the most beefy power supply I've ever seen on a USB hub. 12 volts at 5 amps. That's basically a laptop power supply. Why do you need such a beefy power supply? Well, for many reasons you don't, but this hub has 7 USB 3.0 ports and two phone/tablet charging outlets, meaning a total of 9 outputs! As I understand it, 8 of them are capable of 1 amp each and the other 2.1 amps, so at full load that's 10.1 amps at 5v. So, excuse the technical data, but 5A@12v will give you 10A at 5v (ish) if you allow for some conversion losses. To put it simply - you likely can run ALL ports at full power! Which is great. But will you? Well, only you can decide that...

My unit came with the correct UK plug which is nice to see, being that it's a legal requirement, and a robust looking PSU which has the relevant CE markings and is an inline PSU rather than a "wall wart" which is good as it won't take up three spaces in an extension lead. The hub itself is light and stylish with its glossy black finish.

In terms of operation, it worked straight away on my windows 8.1 laptop. No issues. One thing I did note is that it needs power to operate.
Speed-wise I'm struggling to max it out as most of the usb peripherals I have are still usb 2.0 or just plain slow like a seagate hard drive, but it's nice to see that this device isn't a bottleneck. It comes with a fancy high speed usb cable (A to B) which is the first time I've seen one of these, I had to google it!

Overall then, this is high spec stuff for the demanding user. Most of us won't ever max it out, so if you want a hub that will never lose power and disconnect devices due to overloading, this is going to be a fair bet. If you charge several devices at once, this is a fair bet. I'm tempted to use it as a charging hub when I'm not using it as a usb hub, because it can do that too, imagine the possibility being able to simultaneously charge 7 devices from one plug socket. If you even have 7 usb devices. The sky is the limit!

Foxnovo Li-ion Ni-MH Ni-CD Sound Prompt Battery Capacity Testing LCD Intelligent Battery Charger with UK-plug Adapter 12V Car Adapter for 26650, 22650, 18650, 18500, 18490, 17670, 17650, 17500, 16340, 14500, 10440 Ni-MH and Ni-CD A, AA, AAA, C, SC Rechargeable Batteries Black (2-Slots)
Offered by FoxnovoStore

5.0 out of 5 stars much better than your standard quick charger!, 2 May 2015
The main charger I use for AAs and AAAs is an old maha powerex that I bought years ago for an insanely large sum of money, because back then you couldn't get any real alternatives if you wanted charge/discharge and an LCD readout. I thought it was awesome and once I realised that not all batteries are created equal, it revolutionised the way I use rechargeables as well as making me buy better rechargeables like enerloop and GP.
Fast forward to today and this charger essentially performs the same function. Granted you're missing some of the fine options like iterations of charging but seriously I never use those, I tend to throw my batteries in at 0.5C (C being the capacity) and return 2 hours later to find them charged.
This charger has two charge rates - 500mA and 1000mA, the former being ideal for AAAs and the latter for AAs (for me at least). This gives you a guideline charge time of around a couple hours for each battery which will not stress it like a "super fast charger" will whilst not taking 16 hours!
The charger is also a little better than the maha at knowing when batteries are full, or at least, it seems to be. I had a batch of duracells which the maha would constantly overcharge to the tune of 2-3 times the capacity - yikes - but this charged didn't!
I like how it beeps when it's done. It means you don't have to nanny it.
I also like how you can charge 18650 batteries too. And C size too.
You can also set it to discharge, for the purpose of testing the capacity after charging. Useful if you want to match up your batteries into sets with near equal capacity - personally I dont have the time but to each their own.
Overall it's two thumbs up for me - I like it a lot. Feature rich and simple, what more could you want.
Comment Comment | Permalink

2 x Foxnovo ICR18650 3100mAh 3.7v 11.5Wh High Drain IC Protected 18650 Rechargeable Li-ion Batteries
Offered by FoxnovoStore

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge capacity!, 2 May 2015
The batteries are 18650 batteries, which I use primarily for torches (flashlights) although I am led to understand that they have alternative uses for these "vaping" things that are all the rage now. From a flashlight point of view, I was using a battery of capacity 1800mAh which was lasting maybe half an hour on full beam in my ridiculously high powered LED torch (it gets hot in use!). So, it was nice to get my hands on a couple of batteries with almost double the capacity each.
And they do seem to perform near the stated capacity in as much as they last a LOT longer than the old one I was using, so far I've had no issues with them at all. I charge them with the Foxnovo charger as it has automatic switch off at the end which is a must (though I think all chargers have this for Li-ion for safety) but it also beeps when it's done. See my review on that charger separately though.
So, would I recommend? Yes - as they seem to do the job well.

Wahoo TICKR X Workout Tracker with Memory for iPhone and Android
Wahoo TICKR X Workout Tracker with Memory for iPhone and Android
Offered by Cycle Surgery

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't be faulted - definitely the best android fitness ecosystem around right now!, 30 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Full disclaimer here: I'm a big fan of these wahoo products. I painstakingly used to record my activities on a GPS watch and upload them to runkeeper manually via export files which was a pain, but I needed to record my progress/activities somehow.
Then wahoo came along and released an "ecosystem" that essentially does everything for you. Initially it was iOS only which did make me sad as I'm an android person, but finally they have fully (yes, actually fully!) supported android.
In the latest releases of the android software you get graphs of anaerobic/aerobic/etc zone activity within your workout by time, calorie burn per minute, and so on, and so on.
The great thing about the TICKR RUN and TICKR X over the original TICKR is that they added an accelerometer into the electronics, meaning that now you have more data - which is only a good thing! You get ground contact time, centre of balance, cadence, and other kind of things in there when you run, and of course that works outside and on a treadmill too. All these are displayed on a graph and are becoming more meaningful with recent versions of the app.
If you subscribe to beta testing you not only get the new versions first to evaluate but you currently get one on one contact with the developer himself including the ability to suggest new features or feed back on existing ones - be polite though :P
The TICKR X is recognised and works fully with RUNKEEPER too, and probably any other app that uses a bluetooth HRM.
If you are having disconnection problems then the first place you need to look is memory - android kills off apps when it's memory is "critical" and though it's beyond the scope of this review, I found some teething problems on android 5.0 due to a combination of the number of apps running and the memory leak bug they still havent fixed. Workaround seems to be to kill all your apps off frequently manually to avoid android doing it for you.
Now the one negative comment I have is that this tickr x offers little in reality over the tickr run - I have found offline workouts to at best offer little information (no GPS data!) and at worst to just not track at all. When walking around over a series of hours (eg shopping) the offline workouts import (sometimes!) with insane calorie counts, I had a 4 hour shopping trip after cycling the other day, the cycling used around 700 calories then apparently I burned another 2500 (lol!) shopping. I should have been a shrivelled mess after that! I would say they are likely to fix this in the future, I did report an overestimation of walking calories in the app in the past and they fixed it! ;)
Final note - you do need to be patient sometimes with things like this. There's a lot of variables, I run three (or four) bluetooth devices simultaneously on my phone and think of the number of variations of phone configurations and settings that wahoo devs have to consider. There will be bugs and you might be unlucky, but it's a wonder that they manage to make it as reliable as I've found it to be..so be patient with the devs and don't get angry if you have issues!
Now I wish they would support my pebble...!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 1, 2015 1:37 PM BST

TaoTronics® Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Music Headset (Bluetooth 4.0, Hands Free Calling, Built-in Microphone, A2DP/AVRCP)
Offered by Sunvalleytek-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars I actually like them!, 28 April 2015
These earphones don't go over your head like most "can" style earphones, they actually go over the ear and round the back of your neck. Once you figure that out, you'll find that actually this is really quite comfortable and harder to knock out of position, they certainly will work for travelling and just maybe in a gym too.
For people like me who have sometimes issues with in ear phones (they make my ears itch) then these are actually a very good and viable alternative, with a big bonus too - they sound SO much better. Sound quality is always better on outer earphones than in-ear ones due to the physics involved, and these sound a lot better in the bass department although still managing to get a fairly admirable stereo separation, you will forget that they're bluetooth as there's no noticable fuzz on silent parts (impressive) and no clicking between tracks which plagues most bluetooth sets. They're no grado, but the sound quality is very good, better than some sets I've tested at a much higher spec.
Range is also much improved compared to in-ear bluetooth sets presumably because there's more space for an antenna. Playback is smooth with no stuttering over distances in excess of a metre and stuttering seems to start around the 15 metre mark, your mileage may vary but "phone in the bag" is definitely OK for these.
They fold up really quite small (around the size of a phone) and fit into a bag (provided). I was worried they would be too small for my big head but actually they are fine and I've had a lot of trouble with other earphones in the past being too small. It's because they don't go over the head, they can be smaller and still fit.

Personally I like them and I would recommend to anyone who likes "big headphones" but doesn't want to carry around "big headphones".
Please note: I was sent this product as a sample for an honest unbiased review.

Ink Jet Remanufactured Ink Cartridge Replacement for Epson - T0715 Combo Black, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow

5.0 out of 5 stars Seem good so far!, 27 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
They're as good as the official ones as far as I can tell, and I've had no problems with them as yet, which I don't expect to as I normally use third party cartridges anyway and usually only the very cheap ones or old dry ones ever have a problem. Why get stung by the manufacturer if you can buy them cheaper?

Apexel 180 Degree Fish Eye/Wide Angle/Micro Lens Kit for Smartphone
Apexel 180 Degree Fish Eye/Wide Angle/Micro Lens Kit for Smartphone
Offered by Tech Leader

4.0 out of 5 stars Depends on the phone as to how well it works - on mine, fisheye good, macro no good.., 23 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are much better build quality than you'd imagine, they're quite weighty with a lot of glass inside, real glass, not plastic!
Unfortunately as others have said the clip is somewhat flimsier looking and one does wonder how long that part will last with repeated use.
However I found the macro lens made little to no difference on my sony Z1, I couldn't focus more than perhaps an etra couple of millimetres at most, so it didn't really work. The fish eye one is a lot better - and hilarious on people. I can't use it with the case on the phone though as it vignettes (dark ring round the edge) due to the distance between camera and lens.
However - an easy to use device that comes in a nice case to carry round, it is a lot better than you'd think, but your mileage will vary depending on your phone.

Life in the UK Test - Study and Practice
Life in the UK Test - Study and Practice
by CGP Books

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and well illustrated, 23 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Aside from the fact that most of us would fail this test - does that say something about the test or something about us as a nation? In my opinion, the former. But this book does a good job of preparing you for the test, although it's important to note it's to prepare you for the test and not actually for life in the UK which has little correlation unless you're going to stay indoors with your TV and be a fan of the latest quiz shows. Sport knowledge? Really? This is a requirement to live here is it? I should be kicked out then... perhaps only to be redeemed by my hours watching Time Team which seems relevant too apparently..who would have thought.
As has been mentioned before - you will need to "cram" for the exam using a book like this because even us people who were born here wouldn't know all the answers by a long shot. Especially the history questions involving dates..
Nonetheless, well illustrated and comprehensive, it should really be all you need. Good luck! :o)

PhotoSEL BG411 Sling Bag with Rain Cover for DSLR Cameras and Accessories - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Good small bag that fits a lot - slightly lacking in comfort but does the job well, 16 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've bought a few photoSEL things in the past including umbrellas (flash ones!) and softbox kits, and always found them to be the top of the cheap end if that makes sense, you get a good deal for your money and they don't fall apart like the real cheap stuff does. So I knew the sort of level this bag was likely to be at, and I think it pretty much is..

The bag fits a lot for its size. I managed to put a canon SLR with lens, two extra (smallish) zoom lenses, a couple of batteries, a canon 430 flash and still had room if I wanted to cram a charger in there too.

The problem is though - if you fill it to the brim, it's really not that easy on the back. It's kind of like carrying a badly loaded rucksack - we've all been there and done it, and felt like the rucksack is dragging us to one side because we stupidly placed a bottle of water on one pocket. That's how this feels. So really just carry what you need and don't be afraid to leave it half empty especially if you're going on a 5 mile trek like I did today - ohh my back.

I like how it opens up like a cabinet to lift your DSLR out unhindered - but please be sure not to "sling" the bag on your back without checking it's closed! Doing so will cause your SLR and any other contents to be "flinged" out and you'll be somewhat sad - to say the least.

It says it can't hold a DLSR with a battery grip but that's not quite true - an APS-C canon CAN fit, but a 5D for example is just too tall with the grip on. My 450d with battery grip fits well. My 5D mk1 fits well without the grip and it can be crammed in with the grip on but feels like it's going to break the bag so....don't.

Overall - I think this is excellent value for money, with the caveat that it's not THAT comfortable, for a day shooting it's great, for a day's walking it's likely you'll want to put this inside a larger rucksack (it's quite small so you can).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20