Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Shop Suki Ad Campaign Pieces Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Amazon Fire TV Shop now Halloween Pets Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Learn more Shop now
Profile for pufferfish > Reviews

Dirt Devil DDH01-E01 HandiClean 18V Cordless Vacuum, Red/Silver
Dirt Devil DDH01-E01 HandiClean 18V Cordless Vacuum, Red/Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Very capable small battery vacuum, 6 Oct. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Delivered in a smallish sized box, the vacuum requires a screwdriver to attach the handle. This always annoys me for some reason, but it's a fairly big screw and a coin (10p) will work fine. Handle on, the rest just clicks together and you're up and running in less than five minutes.

Mine came with enough charge to use straight away, though I'm sure it's advisable to charge first - I didn't, I never do, I'm impatient.
Charging, for reference, takes 10 hours (ish) and it does auto-turn-off-charging-when-done so you can have it permanently plugged in if you really want to I guess. It simply hooks onto the charge base which is a sort of vertical dock, so you will need to think about where you want to keep it - near a plug socket.

Dirt devil is owned by Vax it seems, the manual gives this away by recommending you only use "vax chargers", haha, caught you out! Not that this is a bad thing, Vax are normally a decent enough company, especially their customer support which is always very good in my experience.

The vacuum cleaner is actually very powerful. Not the suction part, that's good but no match for a mains vacuum, the part that's really good is the electric brushes on the head. These work really well, they managed to pull a lot of really fine grey dust out of our carpet which no other vacuum has managed to before, basically because of the brushes. It also leaves the carpet feeling a lot thicker and "newer" than it usually is, especially in the parts that don't get walked on much. Given that I have dust allergy, I'm very glad every time I see more dust leaving the carpet. I do think that all the filters in the world on the back of a vacuum are no match for decent cleaning at the front.

But don't be fooled into thinking you can ditch your mains vacuum just yet. I've had another brand of these "battery operated stick vacs" for a couple months now, and although I use it literally every day and I don't think the "big one" has been out in the living room since, I still feel very reluctant to recommend it over or instead of a mains vac because of the lack of suction. If you're quite a clean person with no kids or animals and live in a small residence then yes, I can see that you could get away with just owning this. Otherwise, a mains one will be needed for backup.

Battery life is excellent. In around a quarter of an hour (this machine is slower to use than a mains vac) you can cover around a room, a hall, stairs and a landing. That's really good for a battery vacuum cleaner considering it's not that many years ago that you could do a spillage of cheerios and not much more! Manouverability is good but it feels a little heavy compared to my other, the extra batteries I guess, and it's a little stiff to start pushing forward at times, too much friction. But these are minor issues that wouldn't even occur to me if I wasn't comparing one to another.
Performance-wise it does seem to have a slight edge over my other model although the other model has a little pull switch that allows the handle to bend to get under tables and stuff, which I do like.

Cleaning out the dust bag bit is a hot topic for me - dust allergy - I really do hate having to do any more than just open it at arms length and tip, yet these small battery vacuums always seem to need an involved process to clean the filters. This one seems to be fairly easy to empty, most dust just tipped out, a light scrape of the foam (washable!!) filter got any lingering stuff off there. I sneezed twice, which is not too bad given that I usually expect half an hour or so of suffering after emptying these things.

So, overall it does get the thumbs up from me especially for ease of emptying and a washable filter. It's not the lightest/easiest but it does clean incredibly well for its size and considering the fact it's battery it's definitely a real upgrade from the old cordless handheld vacs. I'm just surprised it took this long to invent these things! If you haven't seen or used one of these types of vacuum then I suggest you somehow try to get hold of one to see if you like it, they are quite impressive.

DBPOWER Original EX5000 WIFI 14MP FHD Sports Action Camera waterproof with 2 Improved Batteries and free Accessories (White)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great DBPOWER action cam!, 5 Oct. 2015
Length:: 2:16 Mins

When writing reviews for these cameras I always get disappointed when I upload a nice clear review but it ends up all blocky afterwards. This time I've kept the video short without any preamble, I'm hoping the video will look more like the original from the camera, but bear in mind you almost always end up with a poor representation of the actual quality! I've also attached a still image taken from the video so hopefully you can see how it looks originally! We'll see how that works out!

In the box you get loads of accessories including a spare battery which is fantastic. The only thing you need to get going is an SD card, and the bigger the better. I think it's something like 10gb for an hour but it depends on a lot of things, so ideally you want a 16GB+ but an 8GB will suffice in most cases if you're on a budget. You should buy the best card brand you can, too. A 16gb sandisk will be a lot better purchase than a 32gb unbranded card! You get in the box a lot of attachments, too many to list, but the notable ones are a belt clip and a waterproof case which can be attached using the straps to a helmet, in my case a bike helmet. There's also a bike mount which works like a bike light, on the frame of the bike. These tend to be more stable but pick up road noise through the frame of the bike.

So - the camera. It's an improvement over the last model I tested (DB4000 I think) because a) it has the wifi feature and b) the microphone seems to work better. The screen on the back is notably larger and clearer and the buttons work better inside the shell. So it's nice to see a whole host of improvements across the board!

The feature set of these cameras is great. The menus are extensive and include things like anti-shake, cyclic mode for rolling recording, HDR, motion detection, etc. Even a time lapse option!

Image and recording quality is surprisingly good. OK, they only do 1080p at 30fps but you can do 720p at 60fps which would make slowmo videos a viable option (10fps at 1/6th speed?). Sound captures better on this model although don't expect studio quality. Light balancing is automatic and I hope you can see from my video that it does this fairly well even though I gave it a challenging environment of sun/shadow/dark to deal with intentionally to test it out!

Overall I'm as impressed with this one as I was with the last, and would fully recommend.

TOMY Bath Foam Cone Factory
TOMY Bath Foam Cone Factory
Offered by The Entertainer
Price: 16.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Five stars for play, one star for cleanability!, 4 Oct. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I guess this thing has some kind of agitator inside that whips up the water when you pull the handle, and skims the top of the water and shoots it out the bottom, I assume that's how it manages to dispense foam without water which it does very well.
The suckers seem to work better "damp" than wet or dry which is a pain in the bath but if you're struggling, wet them, then fully dry with a towel, this seems to work.

Two squirts of johnsons bath "all in one" stuff vs two "cup measures" (using the supplied cup) of water seems like the magic formula without wasting too much soap.

My major gripe is that you just can't clean it. Water is almost impossible to get out, yet the instructions state - quite rightly - something to the effect that if you don't fully clean and dry it after use it will become mouldy inside. Anyone who's ever cleaned out a blocked bathroom sink knows what happens when soap, water and time mix together.
I actually found that piercing the weird mesh filter in the top where you fill it up allows you to slowly tip the water out the top but it still takes several minutes of washing before you feel like you've got most of the soap out. So I had to damage the toy to clean it? It still works fine but seriously...why is easy cleaning not part of the design brief? Because by the time any problem happens, they have your money? I should really have left a lower rating but the toy is serious fun and works well, so I can't really.

So yeah great toy - but I would say don't plan on using it more than a few times before the screwdriver comes out - fortunately it does seem to use phillips screws, but it's gonna get gross inside I'm sure.

My Friend Teddy Freddy Bear Plush Toy
My Friend Teddy Freddy Bear Plush Toy
Price: 31.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps the bugs and voice can be fixed with firmware/app development?, 1 Oct. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Tipped to be one of the 2015 best selling products for xmas, the concept of a bear that you program in the childs name, hobbies, favourites, etc. is fantastic. Unfortunately I feel more like I've seen the future, and I don't like it.
Let me explain. Remember HAL-9000 from '2001 a space odyssey'? Well, yes. I checked. It's almost the exact same voice. For a laugh I called my child "Dave" and played with the settings inappropriately ("Dave" was asleep so no harm done at this point in testing) and it was hilarious. "I heard you like playing with airlocks, Dave".

But why three stars if it's so wrong? I tried it on our child who is four. He actually liked it. I caught him talking to it although I think he realises it's a toy and isn't quite sure if he should be talking to it or not.

So, the irony here is that the main problem is just the voice. Make it higher pitched? Probably would be better.
So, what else. Oh, yes, the bugs. These should be fixable in the app (I was using android):
1) if you're on certain phones (like vanilla android!?) then the keyboard won't let you enter a return on the app, not even when putting the child's name in. This means the app just won't work, at all. This affected my xperia z1 but it DID work OK on my rooted note 2. This needs fixing badly.
2) he talks over himself. It's like halfway through a senteannoying in the extreme (see what I did there? That's exactly what happens).
3) volume controls - the volume changes randomly and unpredictably. When I start the app especially it goes super quiet and needs you to go in and change it
4) I don't like being upside down. Please turn me over. Everything looks funny upside down. I don't like being upside down. Please turn me over. Everything looks funny upside down. I don't like being upside down. Please turn me over. Everything looks funny upside down. I don't like being upside down. Please turn me over. Everything looks funny upside down. Literally every few seconds for half an hour before I gave in and put him the right way up. This needs fixing since "lying down" counts as upside down and it just doesn't stop at all. Can't he just say it twice then shut up?
5) Occasionally he just goes crazy and starts talking nonsense constantly without stopping between. Sometimes if you're lucky it's in German. Loose connection? Turning off/on again does work.
6) The app uses an obscene amount of battery, more than it needs to.
7) If the app is supposed to be listening for a reply when the "ear" symbol comes up, well, it's not doing a good job. It just seems like it's waiting instead of listening.
8) The creepy laugh. It's awful. Why would a robot laugh like a child? It's hard to explain how sinister this sounds in person.

So - if you're reading this devs/manufacturer, please fix :)

Overall would I recommend? Hmm, the price is very keen and it has potential but I'd like to know that the app is going to be developed (fixed) further before recommending. Right now it feels unfinished.

Aquadoodle Classic Colour UK
Aquadoodle Classic Colour UK
Price: 19.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Best painting toy invention since washable ink!, 1 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Aquadoodle Classic Colour UK (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm sure these have improved a lot recently, as I vaguely remember seeing one years ago that was monochrome and not that easy to write on.
The basic premise is this - a piece of white fabric that becomes transparent when wet, attached on top of a piece of coloured fabric. Write on it with a wet pen and it changes colour where you write. Over the course of a few minutes the writing/picture bleeds outwards before drying back to the colour it was before, a hypnotising effect which is sadly lost on our toddler who coloured the whole thing in, every square inch, then walked off. Job done I guess!
Works really well though and dries fast, something like 30 mins from writing to dry again depending on how dry your house air is/how warm it is/how wet you get it.
Thumbs up - a nice clean toy that emulates a far more messy activity!

PYRUS Sades Wired Optical Ergonomics Mouse Flash Wing 2400DPI LED 6 Buttons USB Game Mice Professional Gaming Mouses(Black)
Offered by PYRUS UK
Price: 24.68

5.0 out of 5 stars very nice looking mouse!!, 29 Sept. 2015
I got a white one sent to me for review by the manufacturer. It's way more awesome than the black one if you ask me, looks very futuristic and shiny, most gaming mice are black so it's nice to see one that looks different.
In terms of looks, it's outstanding! I'll let my photos do the talking there. It was really well presented in the packaging too.
The LEDs cycle through all colours, full RGB so it phases through colours smoothly. It's going to turn heads especially in a dark room!
Functionally it's not heavy and it works perfectly well. I've been using it on android and PC (win 8) and it works flawlessly on both. The DPI settings are very high, you need to be using the lowest setting for desktop use, but the higher ones for games, it's easy to change, you click the DPI button and it cycles through the four settings.

Overall in summary it's a very nice mouse for desktop and casual gaming, if you're a pro you're going to know that you need a much more expensive mouse, but for us mere mortals who play games for fun, this will be fine. I also like it because I find larger mice give me less hand cramps especially when gaming, and this is a fairly sizeable model.

The product was provided by the manufacturer at no cost for my unbiased review
Comment Comment | Permalink

Pack of 2, BYB LED Camping Headlamp Flashlight with 3 Modes, Essential for Running, Hiking, Reading, Engineering
Offered by BYBLight UK Direct
Price: 25.99

5.0 out of 5 stars good value for two headlights!, 29 Sept. 2015
Two of these lights fit in a fairly small box on delivery. They're both identical, they both do white or red. Basically you push once for bright white, again for a slightly dimmer white (battery lasts longer) and again for a red. Red I believe is useful for astronomers, not to indicate that you're walking backwards, so it's a shame it flashes. Although if you do ride a bike I guess you could have one on the front of your head and one on the back. Sounds silly but you know, it would work! :)
Overall, they're brighter than I expected and amazing value for money so thumbs up.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Ohuhu 12-Slot Leather Watch Jewelry Display Storage with Glass Top and 12 Removal Storage Pillows, Black
Offered by OhuhuDirect
Price: 18.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good large capacity watch box, 29 Sept. 2015
I never realised I had that many watches until I put them all in a box and took a photo. Well, technically one of them is an NFC wristband, which are cool btw, but it's still a thing that I keep losing, or should I say I kept losing until I had a box to put it in!
The box is quite large so I think I'll have a job losing it ;) It's extremely well built, and doesn't look tacky at all. The straps fit round the cushion things and they squish them down which grips them on, the cushions are well padded. They are also removable should you wish to put something else other than a watch in. Like maybe a pocket watch! Or perhaps those keys you use once every few months and can't ever find.
The glass lid is actually glass so that's also a bonus!
I'm happy enough with this item, and would recommend it to anyone with more than four or five watches. It's solid, heavy, it fits all my watches, and it looks good.
I was sent the item for fair review by the manufacturer at no cost.

ohuhu Traditional Bypass Pruning Shears
ohuhu Traditional Bypass Pruning Shears
Offered by OhuhuDirect
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Sizeable pair of shears!, 29 Sept. 2015
These shears were provided by the manufacturer for me to try out and review at no cost.
On arrival, they're quite large compared to my old ones, which I was going to take a side-by-side photo to illustrate but unfortunately my old ones have rusted to bits owing to me leaving them in the garden by accident. So, it's kind of good to get some new ones!
These are a lot bigger and more robust though, than the average pair of shears. Which means you can cut thicker stuff with less effort. Which means less need for me to get out the giant telescopic bypass loppers, which means less likely that I leave those out in the garden to rust too by accident.
Seriously though - they're a good pair of shears, you can't go far wrong. They're quite well sprayed with mineral oil to prevent rust so be sure to wipe the handles before use unless you're a fan of oily hands. I guess if the old ones had been oiled they might not have been in such a hurry to rust away.
You get a pack inside which contains a spare spring and spare blade-thing. Never seen that before, which prompted me to see if you can buy spare secateurs blades, and apparently that is possible, although not sure about compatibility. If you can get through two blades including actually sharpening them on a whetstone when they go blunt, then fair play to you! :)

Honeywell HH-503E1 Heavy Duty Heater
Honeywell HH-503E1 Heavy Duty Heater

5.0 out of 5 stars Positively industrial, 26 Sept. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This heater is large and robust, it's in a whole new league compared to the plastic household fan heaters.
The fan inside is an industrial looking metal blade fan with enclosed coils, so that's great for use in a dusty environment I guess. The heating elements look like cooker elements, they run three deep too, so even more layers of heat to blow the air through.
In use, yes, it's noisy. Around the same as an extractor cooker hood or a large desk fan but not as loud as say a vacuum cleaner by a long way.
It shifts air and shifts heat. The plug is meant to get warm in use, 13 amps is literally just in the 3000 watts region so it's maxing out what's possible from a plug socket, you will not get more heat from anything without a gas burner or a dedicated high power wiring setup straight from the fuse box.

A word of caution though. The heating elements are coated in oil so the first time you power it on it will stink a lot until it's burned this off. So much so, that it set our smoke alarm off! Now we know the smoke alarm is working! So get it near an open window first!

Definitely one for a garage/utility/cold room but doesn't really go with an interior decor unless you like that industrial look. Great for spot/instantaneous heat but seriously, at these wattages, don't leave it unattended and don't run it on an extension lead!

I wish it had a lower power setting though - say, 2kw, for those occasions when you want to use an extension cable. But I guess it is what it is.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20