Profile for pufferfish > Reviews

Content by pufferfish
Top Reviewer Ranking: 661

pufferfish (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Hamilton Beach Breakfast Sandwich Maker, Silver
Hamilton Beach Breakfast Sandwich Maker, Silver

3.0 out of 5 stars Novelty Sandwich Breakfast Making Gadget, 26 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is certainly a novelty item for someone who really likes their breakfast sandwiches. It is certainly a very compact device that would take up very little room on the kitchen counter, however be aware it comes with a very short power lead about 70cm so you would need to place it very close to an power socket. The unit is a hot plate with a couple of rings and a plate in between that swivels out to drop a cooked egg onto the base of the sandwich. Then you lift the rings up and the sandwich slides through the rings ready to be lifted off the bottom hot plate.

The item comes almost ready to start out of the box, just follow the cleaning instructions and remove any labels and stickers before switching it on for the first time. I found that it was run it once before starting, just to burn off some of that new kitchen appliance smell. It doesn't come with any on off switch apart from at from the mains. It recommends that after making one sandwich, to turn the unit off for a couple of minutes before turning it back on to preheat.

Ok, so my first attempt to make a breakfast sandwich, I opted for a soft flour bap with egg, tomato and cheese. You have to make sure that the bread has will fit in the rings. Shop bought soft bread rolls, standard burger baps, muffins, crumpets, standard scotch pancakes and small roundish croissants do fit in the ring. I preheated the machine as instructed and lightly greased the plates and ring then place one half of a sliced bread product in the base ring, then put on your topping - I put some slices of cheddar cheese and a few slices of tomato then dropped the middle plate and top ring on top. I then cracked a medium sized egg and burst the yolk (as instructed) and then placed the top bun on top and closed the lid and waited for the whole thing to cook. There is no timer on the machine, but the manual suggests about 5 minutes of cooking or basically cook the sandwich until the egg is set - which seemed to take a bit longer and you have to be careful not to move the rings when checking the cooking process otherwise the egg will ooze out from the base of the rings if it has not set and it did leak out of the sides (which took a bit of cleaning to get off). You can't see the progress of what is cooking on the bottom layer, but by the time the egg was set on top, I was beginning to smell that the base was getting rather well cooked for my liking. When the whole thing is ready, then swivelling the egg plate off was easy enough and the top of the sandwich dropped off onto the base of layer and after lifting the ring, it was ready to serve. The result was more like a crispy toasted sandwich, and great if you like very crispy bread in breakfast sandwiches and the top layer of bread is cooked into the egg. But everything was nice and hot in the middle. It might be a bit softer with an English muffin, but the same over crispy base and lid occurred with a croissant. I tried a different combination next with a frankfurter, cheddar cheese and egg. The frankfurter had to be cut to fit the ring first. The next attempt was a bit more successful, with no egg leaking, but I found that the egg cooked a bit better if you don't put the bread on top for the first couple of minutes of cooking.

Cleaning the until is quite easy as long as you don't over fill the unit and the egg doesn't leak out, but the rings get VERY hot, so you need to be very careful when lifting the food out as it will burn you if you are not careful and do use oven gloves or a cloth. Just turn off the unit and wait for it to cool down before attempting to clean it.

It is definitely a novelty product that will make a cooked sandwich. It can only make one sandwich at a time and it is a lot easier if you prepare all your ingredients in advance before assembling into the machine and any meats you put in the device need to be pre-cooked. Overall, this is a gadget to make something that can be made in a frying pan with a lot less effort (even with cooking rings for that perfectly round fried egg), but it is a bit of fun. Good if you don't have access to a frying pan and stove or a kitchen and you really really like your breakfast sandwiches.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Free from Desserts: Pies, Puddings & Ice Creams All Without Dairy, Wheat and Gluten
by Julia Thomas

4.0 out of 5 stars Dairy, Wheat and Gluten free cake, pastry and ice cream recipes., 25 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a well presented cook book if you are looking for sweet pudding recipes without using dairy, wheat or gluten but with results that everyone can eat. I found this book a pleasing collection of sweet treats with lots of photographs opposite many of the recipes. This is however not a book if you are looking for anything low sugar or are avoiding eggs or nuts as these are the predominant ingredients in this book.

The recipes range from pastries, pies, cakes, to cheese cakes, ice creams and custard and sauces. There is a good section about ingredients and the mention that most of the recipes will also work with your standard flours and dairy equivalents. There is no list of suppliers of specialist ingredients, as this would most likely date, but many of these ingredients can be found in larger supermarkets and or health food shops or on-line.

Trying out some of the recipes, I found I liked the pastry section most of all, with the nut pastry, which works very similar to the standard sweet shortcrusts and the cheesecake also worked quite well. The coconut cream (alternative to whipped cream) didn't turn out so well, but that could be down to the brand of coconut milk I used. The same with custard, it depends on the brand of dairy free alternative you choose and you have to be very careful with not over heating some types of milk alternative. Overall. a good cook book if you are looking for some English / European style puddings, cakes and desserts.

Igenix Liteway LW3260 Small Edison Screw Cap Energy Saving LED Candle Lamp 5 W - Opal
Offered by BestBuyUk

5.0 out of 5 stars Good brightness and colour, 24 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There's not much you can say about a light bulb, but it's bright enough and the colour balance is good (on the yellow side, similar to an old incandescent which some prefer).
My only criticism is the lack of lumen output data - I can't see it anywhere. Personally I think it should be required by law as lumens (or a similar measure of light output) is the only true way to know how bright a bulb is, the wattage or equivalent "25w" is nonsense and useless as a measure of brightness or efficiency.
But that aside it seems about as bright as the other bulbs I have and it works fine and fits.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 28, 2015 8:08 PM BST

Kuuk Coffee Pod Rotating Rack - Holds 50 Nespresso Capsules - Lifetime Warranty ...
Offered by iHeadphones UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking coffee pod holder, 22 July 2015
If you have a lot of nespresso pods, this is a great organiser for storing up to 50 pods neatly instead of cluttering your cupboards with half open packets of pods. I found that both the original pods, and third party pods, like those made by Taylors fitted okay. It comes fully assembled, so all you need to do is fill up the holder how ever you want, you can even make pretty patterns with your pods if you so wish! It is useful to see if you are running low on a variety of coffee at a glance and the rack rotates. The chome colour finish is easy to wipe and it has a felt covered base so it is gentle on surfaces. It is quite tall, but fits under my wall mounted top kitchen cupboards. Overall, a nice looking coffee pod holder.

BISSELL Multi-Reach 2-in-1 Light Weight Cordless Vacuum with 12 V NiMH
BISSELL Multi-Reach 2-in-1 Light Weight Cordless Vacuum with 12 V NiMH

5.0 out of 5 stars Well engineered and impressive, 19 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First impressions of this item: Well packaged, works straight out of the box. Zero assembly required. You're officially supposed to charge it for 8 hours but I couldn't resist, based on my fairly extensive knowledge of battery technology, I don't believe the batteries will be affected by this (They are NiMH by the way).

Performance:
As an upright - the brush bar is absolutely essential due to the lacking suction. It's lacking compared to even a lower end 1200W cylinder vac, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It has to be, it's basic science: 240v needs 5 amps to make 1200 watts. This unit works at only 12 volts and to get the same suction power you'd either need alien motor technology not currently known to man, or 100 amps for 15 minutes = very thick wire and a battery from an electric car.
That aside I found the combination of the brush bar (which is electrically powered so pretty decent) and the 12v suction to be a good combination for everyday use. There was no problem picking up any normal crumbs or detritus. The clean isn't deep, which is why you will still need to possess a proper vacuum cleaner in my opinion, but this is perfect for day to day use especially if you happen to have a child (or adult!) who walks around dropping food crumbs wherever they go.

As a handheld - I found it a bit harder to wield than other handhelds I have because it's bigger, and bigger isn't always better. But the extra battery life is largely to blame for that I guess, it must have a fair sized battery in there to last 15 minutes, my old dustbuster would do about 5 minutes I think! Suction is very good for a handheld too, especially with the "crevice tool" attached. Good enough to pick up enough actual grey dust to block the filter which leads me on to the filter....

..The filter is not a "vortex" or HEPA or anything like that. Any dust will just go straight onto it and stick to it and you pretty much have to pull it off by hand which is not ideal for people allergic to dust such as myself. I find myself washing the filter as water stops the dust becoming airborne and getting into my nose and causing an hour of misery (or worse). I am not a fan of the filter design but I rarely am with battery vacuum cleaners. I didn't expect any better but it would have been nice to at least have a "flip open and hit against the bin" like some handhelds have.

Battery -
It really does last 15 minutes. Charging takes around 8 hours and the base seems intelligent enough that you can just keep it permanently plugged in, though I didn't see much to this effect in the manual. The way I work it, I charge it then unplug it, because that's usually the best bet to keep the batteries in top condition long term.

Design:
As an upright
- I like the fact they've designed in two buttons on the handle, meaning you dont have to faff with reaching the buttons on the "core" unit. A nice touch, which probably adds a fair bit to the cost price with the extra parts and wiring, but it's well worth it, I wouldn't buy one that didn't do this.
- The unit is VERY manoeuvrable. The head seems to twist in all manner of ways and there's a trigger on the handle (under the switch) which allows the handle to flip down. It's easy and natural.
- I did get arm ache from using the device for the full 15 minutes. In spite of its excellent design, the swivelling does seem to have a sort of "eccentric" weight and I think that may have caused my arm to ache, so if you're looking for a lighter option then maybe a cylinder vac (which I normally use) is a better choice because in those, the weight is all on the floor behind you on wheels.
- Still getting used to the lack of wheeled monster to pull behind me, I found myself subliminally turning round to drag the hose/cylinder/mains cable forgetting that it doesn't have one. It's great to not have to unplug and have to lug the unit from room to room, you're not constrained, you can just "crumb chase" as you please.
- The brush bar is SO easy to remove for cleaning, you just flick a switch and the brush rod just drops out, allowing easy removal of those "hair rats" that I hate so much.

As a handheld:
- It's good that you can use the attachments on the unit in handheld mode and you can "stack them" meaning a longer reach if you need it.
- You don't have to constantly hold the power button while vacuuming unlike another rather expensive brand of handheld vac
- Nozzle isn't that great without an attachment so you'll generally want to put the crevice tool on.

The Stand:
- Absolutely fantastic. The vacuum just slots in, it's a very well engineered docking station. No more fiddling around looking for the tiny round plug.
- Holds the attachments safe too
- Zero insertion or removal force, can be used one handed.
- Handle can be folded down while in the stand but I personally prefer it not to be.
- Bear in mind this does mean you'll have to store your vacuum near a power supply so it's likely to be a "centerpiece" in your kitchen or hallway. Its bright colours might not match your decor ;)

Build quality:
You can usually guess whether something is going to fall apart - I've had vacuum cleaners like that, but this one feels fairly rugged. Bissell is a brand I tend to regard as fairly good quality too. I think it should last an appropriate time, perhaps the filter might need replacing as it's just cloth, but you can order those online (so long as they don't discontinue it!).

Overall: I'm very impressed. So is everyone I've shown it to. So that's a good sign. I'd definitely recommend it - but - don't throw out your mains vac just yet. You'll probably still need it.

VTin Gold Plated Mini DisplayPort (Thunderbolt Port Compatible) DP to VGA Male to Female Adapter Cable for Apple Mac Macbook Pro Air iMac
Offered by VICTECH

5.0 out of 5 stars Good adaptor for getting the third monitor working on multi monitor setups, 19 July 2015
If, like me, you have a graphics card with three outputs and want to drive three monitors, chances are one will be hdmi, one vga, and the other will be this rather mystical DisplayPort thing.
While it seems that you can finally get displayport hubs (at last!), I think DisplayPort monitors are still ridiculously expensive compared to VGA ones, if you just want a third monitor and you've already got the monitors for it but just need to hook it up then you just need this adaptor.
It's worth mentioning that unless the technology has advanced in the last couple of years then on a PC graphics card you need to use displayport to VGA adaptors like this one with the converter chip inside, because if you just use a displayport to hdmi it will reroute the hdmi output and shut down your hdmi port which isnt useful for multi monitor setup. A source of frustration! Maybe they've sorted that out, I haven't bought a graphics card recently...
This thing works fine. Obviously being VGA you'll need to buy a GOOD cable because ghosting will ruin your image if you run a non shielded cable- one of the few places where buying a good cable is a necessity. The adaptor also has screw holes in it to keep everything tight, which is great, because an old adaptor I was running before didn't and the VGA cable kept falling out which made my multi monitor setup go haywire and often needed a reboot which was annoying!
So - thumbs up, its a simple device that does what it should.

VTin Relaxer Waterproof Bluetooth 4.0 Shower Speaker, FM Radio, LCD Display Design, 8-10 Hours Playing Time, Built in Mic with Suction Cup For Shower/Home/Outoor - Blue
Offered by VICTECH

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Sound!, 19 July 2015
I've used a couple of waterproof speakers and found the sound to be mediocre and presumed it to be a limitation of the waterproof design, but this one sounds as good as a normal bluetooth speaker which I wasn't expecting.
The unit is around hand sized and comes with a very strong sucker - if you wet it a bit and stick it to a properly smooth surface (eg glass) it will stay there, mine has been stuck to glass for four days now without falling. It looks amazing actually, the display is reverse LCD I think and the backlight illumination looks great.
Pairing is easy but you don't even need to pair for the radio, it works as a stand alone unit. Long pressing the bottom button will cause it to auto tune the radio and that worked fine for me.
It has one of the more recent bluetooth chipsets that uses audio prompts (i.e. english language) so this makes it a lot easier to know when you're paired. An on-screen volume gauge is also a bonus, you can change volume with the buttons too if you're not paired.
Overall I like this a lot and would thoroughly recommend.

Seagate Backup Plus 4TB USB 3.0 Portable 2.5 Inch External Hard Drive for PC and Mac

5.0 out of 5 stars Small size, big capacity, 17 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This Seagate hard drive is a lot smaller than I imagined. The first thing to note is it's based on a 2.5" drive which is the sort they put in laptops, whereas PC drives are more chunky. I don't think its a standard laptop hard drive inside though, because the unit is deeper than I'd expect it to be, at around 1.5cm thick, same as a "light reading train station bookshop paperback" or I suppose for those of you who don't remember those, it's something like the dimensions of a couple of chocolate bars side by side.
The case looks slick but is just plastic. Personally I have no problem with that but it's not as "sleek" as some I've seen. But I would assume those aren't 4TB.
Windows reports it as "3.63TB free" by the way. This is something to do with the way they count kilobytes as 1000 bytes instead of 1024, and megabytes, and by the time you get past gigabytes to terabytes, you've lost what seems to be almost 20% of the 4TB you bought. I forget exactly how this works, but it's fairly common to "lose" disk space this way, don't be surprised. 3.63TB seemed very low though!
Transfer speed on large files is 29MB/s on my laptop using usb 3.0 ports. If yours isn't that "quick" (it's not that quick actually! I'd have liked 50+MB/s but whatever...might be my setup so your mileage may vary) then try making sure its the "blue" ports you're plugging into and not black coloured ones, as those are usb 2. If you have no blue ports, then, well....bad luck :)
I can't at this stage comment on robustness or longevity, I know I've had a LOT of problems with old seagate disks but that was then and this is now. You can be sure I'll be back to update this if the disk fails though! :)
Oh, one last thing, ignore the "setup.exe" on plugging the disk in, its just a link to register the disk, do it later if you want I guess. The link didn't even work for me, went to a 404 page, so...er....fail :) Maybe they'll fix it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 18, 2015 11:32 AM BST

Defenders Mega Sonic Cat Repeller
Defenders Mega Sonic Cat Repeller

5.0 out of 5 stars they actually do work, 17 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used these for a few years now and this will be the third one in the garden.
They are incredibly effective at first but it's not necessarily "set and forget". Initially you see the cats jump as they walk past and leg it, but I've noticed that cats seem to ignore them after a while so you do have to move the around as I think it's not so much an "unbearable noise" but more of the shock factor that scares them away.
Annoyingly they all seem to take 2 x 9v batteries (the rectangular ones) which are expensive. You can buy them in bulk online, I suggest you do, they last a couple months but you will eventually get through loads of them and although they take an AC adaptor it's unlikely you'll want that across your lawn. Also - if they start whining audibly, it's time to change the batteries.
I thoroughly recommend these as they are the most effective thing so far, though I haven't tried the latest ones that spray water yet :)

Huggies Disney Special Edition Baby Wipes (Product design may vary) - 56 x 10 Packs (560 Wipes)
Offered by mybritshop

5.0 out of 5 stars Very cute packaging be careful not to succumb to pester power, 16 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are Huggies baby wipes with aloe and vitamin E, but they come in very cute Disney packaging, We got the Mickey Mouse edition, and even though they are the same as the normal Huggies wipes inside, our toddler seems to prefer the these wipes, calling the Mouse wipes and that they smell of 'Mouse'. Very clever marketing by Huggies! You get 10 packet in the box and there are 56 wipes in each package and they are all of the one design. As wet wipes go, they are very effective at cleaning mess and they smell nice.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20