Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer
Top Reviewer Ranking: 847

Amazon Customer (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Sony Xperia Z1 UK SIM-Free Smartphone - White
Sony Xperia Z1 UK SIM-Free Smartphone - White
Offered by eliazon

4.0 out of 5 stars Good phone, good price. Shame about the screen but everything else is spot on!, 30 Jan. 2015
Other than the really annoying tendency of retail to now call this an "old phone" because it's had two successors in the last year, this phone is great value for money.
I've thrown just about all my most graphically intensive games at it, even the ones that made my old note II stutter a bit, and it can handle them all.
My only gripe would be the screen. I like it but I hate it. It's really sharp and clear compared to the note II screen, but as soon as you look at it when it's on the table or in the dock, you're not quite head on, even an angle of maybe 5%, bleh, it looks awful like a cheap TFT from a 90s television. Washed out! The viewing angle is DEFINITELY a big deal. Choosing a darker background does improve things though.

Getting past that, the phone is perfect in every other way. A couple of things my note 2 didn't have are ant+, a dedicated camera button, shiny glass rear (or is it plastic?!). I've not tried ant+ but I can tell you that bluetooth 4 works perfectly. As it did on the note 2.
Battery life - well, it's like this. Use stamina mode. Just....use it. It will give you around 4-5 days idle if you don't touch the phone (i.e. left at home when you went on holiday or lost behind sofa) or more realistically around 2 days, or a full day if you're constantly on it playing games like I am!
Get the magnetic dock. Get a slim case and get the non official magnetic dock that can support the case. I'm not kidding. The phone has these fiddly little flaps that you don't want to keep opening and closing, just get the dock. It's as good as Qi wireless charging. Better actually since it charges at full speed.

I haven't dunked the phone yet. I probably should. But I haven't. I might try now. I guess it would be covered by warranty, right??

Also I found that a glass screen protector is superb, instead of the awful one they gave me free in the box. Sure it was free, but bubbles everywhere! The glass ones just go on by themselves, it's freaky, you have to try it.
Thumbs up! I think it's great for the price, for us lesser mortals who can't afford the Z3...

TaoTronics® Bluetooth 4.0 Wireless Stereo Headset Earphone (A2DP, Hands-Free Calling, Built-in Mic, 6 Hr Battery)
Offered by Sunvalleytek-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars A light pair of headphones with a good blend of sound quality, weight and functionality., 30 Jan. 2015
The kit comes well presented in a brown box (see image) with the earphones, a nice woven effect bag with string pull and plenty large enough to hold everything, a USB cable to charge

from (standard micro usb), some spare fittings so you can get the best fit (2 sizes) and the manual.

1 - The manual. Very clear and concise, 10 pages of English (German French Italian Spanish Japanese are also there) with illustrations and fairly clear even with troubleshooting

section and so on.

2 - The buttons. There are three buttons on the microphone section of the device, this is situated a couple of inches away from the right ear. There's a +/- button and a "multifunction

button" which serves many functions aswell as power on/off. If you check the photo I've uploaded here, the manual gives you a table of what those functions are and how to use them. The

"indicator" it speaks of is an LED just under the buttons, when it flashes you can't miss it.
A tip: You would do well to learn where the buttons are, because once the earphones are on, you can't see them, you have to go by feel. Centre one is multifunction, top is up, bottom

is down.

3 - Pairing. This is simple. Hold down the "multifunction button" for 7 seconds (make sure it's off first or it will turn off instead) and wait for alternating red/blue lights. Then

search your phone for bluetooth devices. Then pair your phone. Usually you aren't asked for a pin, but if you are, it should be 0000.

4 - Sound Quality. This is always the hard part because it's subjective. With these in ear types it always depends heavily on how well you have them fitted in your ear too. So, I shall

attempt to describe the sound quality as best I can. I found the sound very clear and not blurry or overly bassy, but not tinny either. The stereo mix seems almost like it's been

enhanced slightly, I can't quite put my finger on. I noted also that theres not much noise coming from the cabling when you shake your head around which is a problem I've had with

other earphones.

5 - Fit. Looking at the design you'd think they would keep falling out. However I found that they didn't seem to unless you got the cord caught which doesn't happen much compared to

conventional headphones as it only goes round the back of your head.

6 - Loudness. Do they go loud enough to use on public transport or noisy environments? Yes, they do on my phone!

Summary: A light pair of headphones with a good blend of sound quality, weight and functionality.

Please note that I was sent these earphones to evaluate and post an impartial review on behalf of the manufacturer, who I am otherwise not associated with in any way.

ohuhu 50 ft Expandable Garden hose With Spray Nozzle, Green
ohuhu 50 ft Expandable Garden hose With Spray Nozzle, Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Functions exactly as advertised., 25 Jan. 2015
Disclaimer: I was sent this item in exchange for an unbiased review by the supplier.

It's a bit cold and wintry outside to need to use a hose, and I'm not going out on the bike at the moment either so that's not dirty and doesn't need a clean, so I had to hook up this hose especially just to test it out. Luckily that was fairly easy, although you'll want to make sure you have a standard outdoor tap with a screw thread on it, that's non negotiable because it's 'hardwired' to the hose. Indoor quick clip tap connectors won't be able to use this hose unless there's an adaptor, I'm not aware of any, they might exist. I'm a big fan of the outdoor tap anyway, I think everyone should have one!

The fit to the tap is watertight, no leakage drips or spray, it's metal and seems well made. On the other end of the hose there's a fairly hefty shutoff valve which you have to set to closed or the hose won't expand (I guess you could fit the spray on the end and that would work). Again there's no quick release valve here, the spray head screws on. I believe you can fit a standard adaptor to this end to turn it into a quick clip, something I'll be trying when I need to use the pressure washer when it's warmer.

Once you turn the tap on, the hose starts to gently grow before your eyes. It takes about 30-40 seconds on my tap, but it's going to depend on the pressure/flow of your tap.

While spraying, the hose does "breathe in and out" a bit but it gets nowhere near shrinking down.

Once finished, you turn off the tap, open the sprayer, let the water out and the hose starts shrinking. Once back to its original size, it's simply a matter of coiling it round in your hands and putting it away.

Summary: Simple, easy, functional.

ohuhu 3 Pack Outdoor& Indoor LED Remote Control Real Wax Candles with Remote & Timer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great effect - looks like real candles, 25 Jan. 2015
Length:: 0:38 Mins

The thing that surprised me about these candles is how on some colour settings you could easily be fooled into thinking you're looking at real candles. The wax material is really realistic and the LED light is so far down inside that you have to make an effort to be able to notice it's not a flame.

The remote comes with a vast array of colour buttons, pressing these turns all the candles "that see it" to the colour you pressed. The reason I specify that only candles that see the remote is, if you want to have the candles in different colours from each other, hold the other two behind your back while you change the colour of the one - the remote is infra red like a TV remote.

In the video you see the colour change as I press the buttons, but you'll also see the colour cycle mode. I set the candles to "flicker mode" because this looks like there's a real flame inside, it's like a random flicker. This is entirely optional - you can have a solid light instead by pressing the mode button.

Each candle takes three AAA batteries - these last a long time, by that I mean I ran them all day and they were still working so I'm unsure exactly how long they last but it's certainly a fair while! You can also set the candles to a timer mode on the remote, 4 hours or 8 hours, they will switch off automatically. There is also a manual switch on the base in addition to the on/off "soft" switch on the remote.

In Summary, these are a great alternative to candles especially in places/situations where candles would be considered a hazard. Thumbs up!

Dettol Power and Fresh Citrus Zest 80 Wipes (Pack of 4)
Dettol Power and Fresh Citrus Zest 80 Wipes (Pack of 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Regular dettol wipe user!, 24 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I use these wipes to clean just about anything and everything. I'm not daft enough to believe all the hype about "germs everywhere and they're going to get you" scaremongering, but these wipes are very good at cleaning and they leave even the grottiest of things feeling a lot fresher and smelling a lot fresher.

In terms of "flavour" these ones do smell sort of like "lime sherbet" which I don't think even exists, definitely a bit less clinical than the plain white packaged dettol wipes, but I'm not terribly picky and I'll usually just go with whichever one is cheapest.

I know the packaging says "not for personal hygiene" which is a bit funny but seriously I find that these wipes do seem to be harsh on the skin as I found out in the past, so I tend to wear gloves if I'm going to be using them a fair bit. If I'm doing a child's toy or a food surface I'll either rinse it or go over again with a plain baby wipe afterwards to get the harsh detergents off.

I've tried supermarket own brands of these and they're fine, but I prefer the dettol ones as I find they contain more moisture and so you get a better clean and an open pack lasts longer, but you might have to dry the item afterwards as a consequence.

ohuhu Camera Lens Pouches- Set of 4
ohuhu Camera Lens Pouches- Set of 4
Offered by EletronicsFans

5.0 out of 5 stars Well padded, good fit, strong looking lens bags, 23 Jan. 2015
Being a photography enthusiast, I have built up a small collection of lenses for my canon DSLR over the years. But I'd never really thought about how to store or transport them, they just sat on a shelf, then I'd make a conscious decision of which lens to fit to the camera when taking it out. I used to use a massive DSLR bag but it's just unwieldy and really not that customisable to different lens sizes. You can get rucksacks but they're expensive.
So I guess that's where these bags come in. They're made of the same sort of material as those laptop sleeves, neoprene I think it's called. It's very good at protecting things so a good material to make a lens bag out of. There's a generous draw string on the top which is great because you can open it much wider than the size of the lens meaning you can get your hand in to pull the lens out. Downside of this is you do have to give the drawstring a good yank to close it, but that's a small price to pay.
In terms of fit, well, have a look at my photo. four standard run of the mill canon lenses, well ok, one's a tamron. Left to right, 50mm prime, kit lens, tamron, cheapo canon telephoto zoom. They fit pretty well into each bag actually.

They have clips on the side, though I'm not sure I personally will use them. I'm more of a "shove it in the rucksack" type of person. Handy though.

So in summary, well, a decent set of four lens bags. Good material, look strong, good padding and fit well. What more could you want?
Comment Comment | Permalink

[Wirecutter's Pick] Intocircuit® 2nd Gen Power Castle 15000mAh with SmartIDTM technology Portable Dual-Port 5V 3.1A (2.1A+1A) External Battery Pack Power Bank Backup Charger with Built-in Flashlight for iPad Air2, mini3, 4, 3, 2, iPhone 6, Plus, 5S, 5C, 5, 4S, 4 (Lighting cable not included) Samsung Galaxy S5, S4, S3, S2, Note4, Note3, Note2, Tab 4 3 2 Pro, HTC One, One2 (M8), MotoX, Sony Xperia Z, Google Nexus, Android tablets and More - Gray (Updated 15000 power bank)
Offered by Elecsmart

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, looks good, massive capacity, 23 Jan. 2015
Note: This product was provided to me in exchange for a test and honest evaluation, which I have provided.

This is the third mobile powerpack I've ever used, so I feel I'm not a newcomer to these kinds of things. The other two power packs I bought a while back and are older and lower capacity, and wouldn't charge some stubborn devices, so it was exciting to try out a new one and see if the tech has improved in the past couple of years.
I'm happy to say it has, in a big way. Where once you had just a charging light, if you were lucky, you now have a backlit LCD display - see photo - to indicate the percentage of power left, and which ports have power supplied to them.

One port is rated higher than the other, although in my tests I found both ports were capable of supplying my phone with 1.6 amps regardless. I think with an apple device the port current rating is more relevant, I'm not sure. I guess use the higher rated one first, it can't hurt.

The "stubborn devices" that wouldn't charge in previous power packs were my sony ps vita and my asus transformer TF201. Both charged with the power castle. From zero to 100%. I'm impressed, very impressed.
Since then I've tried to charge all manner of strange usb devices that you probably never would try, including a usb camping light, GPS watch, micro RC helicopter, bluetooth headset. They all work. I honestly couldn't find anything that didn't.

I put the capacity on test. My Asus TF201 mentioned above has a ridiculously large battery at 3380mAh, and so does my phone at 3200mAh. These were also using power while charging, and there will be losses in the charging process too mainly as heat. I recall that it took around 60% of the power castle's capacity to charge both from near zero, so that's 6580mAh /6 x 10 = 10966mAh as a total ball park guess. Sounds pretty good, I can easily believe that the internal battery is holding 15000mAh on this basis. Which, I might add, is an insanely high capacity.

A quick final tip with usb chargers - if you're getting poor results, I suggest changing your cable. A cable can look fine and appear to be charging but it just charges slowly. I imagine it's a poor connection or broken internal wire but I couldn't say, but this has happened to me a few times and I've had to throw a few usb cables away after a while.

So - summary - do I like it? Yes. It's sleeker smaller and more user friendly than my other two units and it holds more power too. And it works well, so I really don't have to worry about running out of battery on my phone while out any more.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Mamas & Papas Sleepfresh Luxury Pocket Spring Mattress (140 x 70 cm)
Mamas & Papas Sleepfresh Luxury Pocket Spring Mattress (140 x 70 cm)

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality washable cot bed mattress, 23 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This mattress will fit into a cot bed / toddler bed and is comfortably firm and meets the approval of our toddler who has slept well on it. The feel of the mattress seems well made and the removable washable cover is very useful for little accidents as is the waterproof membrane. It has anti-bacterial, liquid and stain repellent which is good and can be washed at a higher temperature of 60 degrees C - another bonus, as our last cot mattress could only be washed at 40C. The mattress seems comfortable and can be rotated and should last until our toddler is able to move to the next size of bed.

SoundSOUL Clip-on Bluetooth Stereo Headset for All Tablet, Apple Ipad/iphone and Cell Phones - Retail Packaging - Black (black)
Offered by SOUNDSOUL Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars A great value and functional device, perfect when out and about!, 22 Jan. 2015
In the box you get the clip, which is very small light and unobtrusive. You also get a set of earplugs. These are actually pretty good quality and an equivalent pair would set you back a few pounds in my opinion. You also get a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable, which I believe is so that you can connect the clip to an audio dock, external speaker or amplifier (hi-fi). Finally you get a charging cable, which is micro-usb.

The clip has five buttons marked play, pause, skip fwd and skip back. The play/pause button doubles as a power button and controls the call functions, for example to answer an incoming call.

Pairing is a simple matter of putting it into pair mode. Turning on - Hold the play button for three seconds. Pairing - device seems to need to be OFF - hold the play button for around five seconds until the blue and red lights flash alternately. Then you have plenty of time to search for the device on your phone, and pair. Once paired to a phone or device, the clip can generally connect within around two seconds when turned on, so it's no hassle at all.

You are given audio prompts for all the common functions - eg connecting/disconnecting, power on/off. By this, I mean you hear it in english through the headset. This is very handy.

Sound quality is very good for the price point. Audiophiles should note that there is some audible white noise during "idle" times, but this would not offend most people as it's likely you're not going to be listening to the device in a silent location, nor can you hear the noise during music playback. It also bears mentioning that most bluetooth devices I've encountered do exhibit this.

All the buttons behave correctly on my Android phone (Galaxy Note II) and music playback functions exactly as intended.

Overall with the earphones and clip I think it's a great package, because it's ready to go, you don't need to buy anything else. And it's extremely good value. So I can thoroughly recommend it.

Soundpeats Qy7 Mini Lightweight Wireless Stereo Sports/running & Gym/exercise Bluetooth Earbuds Headphones Headsets W/microphone for Iphone 5s 5c 4s 4, Ipad 2 3 4 New Ipad, Ipod, Android, Samsung Galaxy, Smart Phones Bluetooth Devices (QY7, black/green)
Offered by SOUNDSOUL Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding pair of earphones, really surprised me., 17 Jan. 2015
First and foremost if you read no more of this review, I want to say how impressed I am with these earphones. If you want bluetooth in-ear earphones then you should definitely consider these due to the incredible value vs the surprising sound quality they give you.

In the box you get the earphones, a charging cable and two sizes of spare "plugs" alongside two sizes of spare rubber ear spring fittings, giving a total of three of each. You also get a manual.

The cable is a standard micro-usb, which is always a relief as most of us have a couple of these at least.
The spare fittings are important for these earphones as you really do need to get the right ones fitted for your ears, I can't stress that enough. If you're not using the right size accessories, the earphones either won't fit properly and the sound quality drops, or they will fall out when you move around. So try all three sizes and pick the best one. They're easy to change, it takes around 30 seconds.
The manual is pretty clear, I had no trouble understanding it.

Pairing is simple, it's the usual bluetooth standard combination of holding down power until you see flashing lights indicating waiting to pair. Once paired it will reconnect to a phone quickly when powered back on and it's capable of auto reconnecting if your phone reboots or loses range too, which I like.

Sound quality, as I already hinted at, is nothing short of amazing. I wasn't expecting much but I really was blown away. These sound like a pair of expensive earphones, and definitely are some of the best I've heard for in ear types.

Other than that, I liked how lightweight they are, it's amazing how they can get the bluetooth circuitry, and a battery, without adding much weight at all. They really are light. Add to that the lack of trailing cable means less likely to catch on anything while exercising. A definite winner.

In summary, do I recommend? Yes - two thumbs up!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20