Profile for Kate > Reviews

Content by Kate

Kate "ms. c" (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Crayola Creations Printable Fabric Pack
Crayola Creations Printable Fabric Pack
Offered by JYW GLOBAL LIMITED

1.0 out of 5 stars This product is not fabric, 12 Oct. 2012
I took a chance and purchased this 'fabric pack', hoping it might contain actual fabric that can be used in a computer printer. Unfortunately, what you get is plastic-y, nasty feeling stuff that is definitely not fabric. It has no drape, has a plastic feel - well it is synthetic and plastic. So to warn others who might mistake this for cotton fabric that can be used in sewing and craft projects - this is not it. I tried printing and sewing it - the 'fabric' is clearly not designed to be sewn but stuck. Of course I took the risk and am disappointed. So lesson learned for me. If I was purchasing this item to use as the package suggests - eg. making a miniature outfit, then I would have a similar complaint with it being plastic-feeling and not pleasant to handle.

50 Words for Snow
50 Words for Snow

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting footsteps in the snow, 2 Dec. 2011
This review is from: 50 Words for Snow (Audio CD)
This is my favourite Kate Bush album - 21st century album that is...... my favourite of all is 'The Dreaming'. I enjoy albums that beg exploration, both musically and thematic.....

I was not a huge fan of 'Aerial', though delightful in places, it did not strike me and draw me in as this work has.... I am enchanted by the layers of story telling in this album combined with the most exquisite musical arrangements.

The whole work is an outstanding piece, that really develops for the listener over time..... This is a journey of poetic narrative, folk tales and eclectic sounds - but it is extremely well edited, polished to shine like ice.

For an album devoted to such a chilly subject, this is infact a very warm, heartfelt, endearing work.

I agree with many other reviewers who are delighted that Kate Bush continues to explore and share her ideas, and does this with passion for her craft.

Yes, I have been a fan for many years, infact since I was six and 'Lionheart' - and knew all the words and still do. As previously stated, I've not always loved everything. 'The Dreaming' is perhaps THE Kate album that may never be surpassed but this one comes very close....

Roberts DAB / FM Digital Solar Radio - Green
Roberts DAB / FM Digital Solar Radio - Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely sounds & looks, 12 Nov. 2011
I received this radio today - and am very impressed. It has a nicely made exterior and is easy to use. Most importantly, the sound quality is lovely - warm and rich for such a compact radio. The sound fills even a larger room very nicely. My family and I have several DABs, so we have been comparing the sound quality today and this one is significantly better than others of a similar price bracket. Although this is not the best time of year for sunshine, we did get a few hours this afternoon, so I put the radio on the windowsill and could see the solar charging working just fine. I'm looking forward to listening to this radio around the house. I'm not a big tv viewer, so having a decent radio is important - and one that can be powered for 'free' is a definite plus. Love the colour!

Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display

3.0 out of 5 stars good technology but ---, 8 Oct. 2011
I am pleased with the kindle as a handy reading device. There are many pluses, especially the speed in which one can download a book. I also enjoy the option to read samples of books for free.

However, I don't like the grey display. I like the warmth of a paper page. I like the artwork and colour that a book can offer. Even if it is just one illustration on the front. The sensual experience of handling a book is not here, of course....

The kindle works efficiently, power lasts for hours, easy enough to operate.

When I first got mine I subscribed to a couple of newspapers but have since ceased subscriptions. I miss the colour and photographs of a newspaper, and doing the crossword.

So until the kindle comes as a colour screen, I shall not be buying a new model.

Perhaps I should have bought an ipad, but of course for a lot more money.

Not a bad piece of kit but there are many books that are not yet available electronically, so the kindle will not make me stop buying printed editions.

Black Rainbows
Black Rainbows
Offered by Direct Entertainment Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Papercuts, 4 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Black Rainbows (Audio CD)
I have enjoyed each of Brett Anderson's solo albums. They have their distinctive colours. Each offers a new/different/interesting perspective. Each has grown on me over time and I have come to enjoy them more.

I am grateful to know the previous albums and to have journeyed through....

This album was a dark flash of a surprise - instant gratification.

I like the recurring imagery between songs.

The light and shade. The musical spikes and shifts.

There's something nostalgic about this - good 80's influences like the Banshees....

Lyrically superb and intriguing. I want songs that keep me thinking.

Another fine solo album - one I feel Suede fans will enjoy especially.

Night of Hunters (Deluxe Edition)
Night of Hunters (Deluxe Edition)
Offered by skyvo-direct

3.0 out of 5 stars An enchanting struggle, 4 Oct. 2011
At times intricately beautiful, sometimes rather musical theatre, musically beautiful throughout...... I've listened through several times and whilst to begin with I felt it important to listen from beginning to end - I now pick out my favourite tracks and skip those I find less effective. I don't care for the tale that might be told here, that is just my personal response. I prefer to listen and make my own stories.....

I find some of the lyrics fascinating - and some other songs just don't do it for me. An example of a song that I feel might work well in a musical theatre production is 'Edge of the Moon' - which to me could slot right into Les Mis or Chess! Yikes..... is that a good thing? Perhaps.

Night of Hunters has a beautifully produced feel, and the piano is the best I have heard from Tori. I would like to listen to an instrumental version, it would make for a very enjoyable listen I am sure. I am thinking of the composer/artist Hauschka - who knows how to put really interesting sounds and arrangements together. Can he do a remix for you Tori?

My favourite track is Seven Sisters. The wind instrument and piano and production on that is just lovely....

I enjoy ambiguity and a little rage now and then - perhaps that rocky edge is not for this album and I miss it. Tori's voice is a little 'nice' throughout this.... Her daughter's voice lends an earthy, fascinating contrast and I like it very much.

Mixed feelings then. But this is a fine album to listen to - I hesitate to say tackle - grapple with.....

Acctim 13879 Retro 2 Alarm Clock, Blue
Acctim 13879 Retro 2 Alarm Clock, Blue

2.0 out of 5 stars unsurprisingly may not be the best, 14 Sept. 2011
Nice looking, from a distance... but not the best made little clock. The seconds hand fell off - seconds after putting batteries inside. With hindsight I would buy a clock that costs a little more but is better quality.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 13, 2015 5:03 PM BST

Azumanga Daioh 2: Complete Collection [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Azumanga Daioh 2: Complete Collection [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

3.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Be Fooled, 30 Aug. 2011
This is the same as the other set, except it doesn't include disc 6 (classic extra), though if you don't all ready own a set go ahead and buy this one. It's just the same series and same episodes but without the classic disc edition (disc 6).
If your collecting then go ahead and buy this one too but it's EXACTLY the same as the previous additional release of this amazingly entertaining Anime comedy for all the family. It's cute and funny. Watch it. Thanks for reading.

Battery Operated Fairy Lights with 10 Warm White LEDs by Lights4fun
Battery Operated Fairy Lights with 10 Warm White LEDs by Lights4fun
Offered by Lights4fun

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely lights, 9 Dec. 2010
Lovely warm tone to these lights. Nice quality - sometimes battery operated lights can be rather cheaply produced with hard-to-open battery slots. But not these. I would recommend.

Silent Night Advent Calendar
Silent Night Advent Calendar
by Schroeder
Edition: Card Book

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Indeed, 9 Dec. 2010
This is a superb Advent calendar, depicting a beautifully illustrated. There's the nativity story combined with other winter holiday elements, in a subtle, gently nostalgic scene. Excellent value - we will use this one again. Much better than throwaway chocolate calendars, I agree.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4