Profile for Kate > Reviews

Content by Kate

Kate "ms. c" (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Barbecue
Barbecue

4.0 out of 5 stars French comedy with flavour, 26 July 2015
This review is from: Barbecue (Amazon Instant Video)
An enjoyable movie with great acting and intelligent story. Made me thirsty for a good glass of wine.

Big Bang Theory - Season 6
Big Bang Theory - Season 6

3.0 out of 5 stars good show still has spark, 25 April 2015
A so-so opening episode for this long running and witty show. Episodes are short, as is the American way. Amazon may reconsider it's pricing for such brevity?

The New Yorker Presents
The New Yorker Presents

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 19 Jan. 2015
I enjoyed watching very much and would definitely look forward to seeing more. This one episode reflected the intelligent and considered quality of The New Yorker, a magazine I have read occasionally over many years. I am interested in this kind of format, putting together ideas and presenting small or short films within one episode. Yes more please.

Only Human
Only Human

5.0 out of 5 stars entertaining, funny and intelligent film, 20 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Only Human (Amazon Instant Video)
An intelligent and funny Spanish film with international appeal. A good story and superb acting from the small ensemble cast. No matter the language or ideas nationality, a good plot and well crafted storytelling makes for an enjoyable film. Little wonder this film got funding from the UK film council. I am glad I decided to give this one a viewing.

jupey krusho spree: cutest character collection
jupey krusho spree: cutest character collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun fun fun, 16 Dec. 2014
A lovely creation full of delightful characters. Our favourite is Coy the soy boy. Nicely produced and we hope to read more.

Before the Winter Chill
Before the Winter Chill

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this intriguing story of obsession, 27 Sept. 2014
I enjoyed this intriguing story of obsession, friendships and life passing by. As a fan of both main actors I felt confident in their parts and their portrayals did not disappoint. As a British person who grew up watching only Hollywood and British films, I find the French films I have watched are markedly different in pace, style, dialogue - the texture of French cinema is different, less verbose, subtle and often slower in it's storytelling. So I take this into consideration when I choose to settle down and watch a French film. This is not to say that all French cinema is alike, but perhaps the kind of films you will find these fine actors in are of a thoughtful kind. I enjoyed this story especially because it portrayed an older couple in an honest way, two people still in love, though not the best at connecting and helping each other.

My Best Friend [DVD] [2006]
My Best Friend [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Daniel Auteuil

5.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable, warm-hearted movie, 11 Jan. 2014
This review is from: My Best Friend [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
Very much enjoyed this well-crafted dtory, with superb understated acting from Daniel Auteuil and Danny Boon. When a movie is this absorbing subtitles are no problem and the story is delightful.

From Up On Poppy Hill [DVD]
From Up On Poppy Hill [DVD]
Dvd ~ Goro Miyazaki

5.0 out of 5 stars a fine return to Ghibli storytelling, 29 Oct. 2013
This review is from: From Up On Poppy Hill [DVD] (DVD)
My daughter and I are Studio Ghibli fans, having watched all their movies. We were a little disappointed by Arietty, but this film is a lovely return to the Studio's style of animation and story. Less inspired by concerns for the environment perhaps and without fantastical creatures, this film nevertheless captivated and enchanted us. A movie suitable for a younger person or adult, thoughtful family viewing indeed, and how often can you say that about a movie these days?

Portlandia: Season 1 & 2 [DVD] [2011] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Portlandia: Season 1 & 2 [DVD] [2011] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by marvelio-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Comedy Sketches, 22 Oct. 2012
Portlandia is a fast-paced comedy show, featuring short sketches. Set in Portland Oregon, the viewer is introduced to an assortment of characters, all who may in some way represent the kind of person who lives in Portland, or perhaps the kind of perhaps we think might. There are punks, hippies, smart executive couples, eccentrics, feminist booksellers, wholefood market assistants, obsessive people, kinky people, the earnest and the inept. Some, not all, characters are on-going and appear in most episodes. My favourite sketches are those featuring two women who run women & women first bookstore. They are archetypal feminists, who seem today rather out of place and old-school, but their characters are quite complex and well-meaning.

I hope more viewers discover this show - it is better than a lot of comedy shown on bigger networks, in my opinion. It helps that Carrie Brownstein is a musician because one appealing feature of the show is the number of musician guests that are written in for cameo roles, from Aimee Mann to the lead singer of Pearl Jam, who's name I forget right now!

Watch this if you like off-beat, edgy, witty comedy that's got a beating heart and doesn't mind who you are so long as you find less-ordinary people are your folk.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 19, 2015 3:18 PM BST

Crayola Creations Printable Fabric Pack
Crayola Creations Printable Fabric Pack
Offered by JYW GLOBAL LIMITED

1.0 out of 5 stars This product is not fabric, 12 Oct. 2012
I took a chance and purchased this 'fabric pack', hoping it might contain actual fabric that can be used in a computer printer. Unfortunately, what you get is plastic-y, nasty feeling stuff that is definitely not fabric. It has no drape, has a plastic feel - well it is synthetic and plastic. So to warn others who might mistake this for cotton fabric that can be used in sewing and craft projects - this is not it. I tried printing and sewing it - the 'fabric' is clearly not designed to be sewn but stuck. Of course I took the risk and am disappointed. So lesson learned for me. If I was purchasing this item to use as the package suggests - eg. making a miniature outfit, then I would have a similar complaint with it being plastic-feeling and not pleasant to handle.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4