Profile for Julie Hambleton > Reviews

Content by Julie Hambleton

Julie Hambleton "Caspian's Queen" (Somerset, England)

A Street Cat Named Bob: How One Man and His Cat Found Hope on the Streets
A Street Cat Named Bob: How One Man and His Cat Found Hope on the Streets
by James Bowen
Price: 3.85

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful, heart warming book :), 1 Nov 2012
After first finding out about James and Bob by chance on a Facebook link, I have been enchanted by their story. Being a great cat lover myself makes it extra special! Very enlightening too, about living/working on the streets, and how tough it is.

It is well written and easy to read, and very hard to put down! An excellent read, highly recommended.

Sonny [DVD]
Sonny [DVD]
Dvd ~ Nicolas Cage
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 5.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, 23 Mar 2011
This review is from: Sonny [DVD] (DVD)
I have to admit that I bought the DVD purely because James Franco was in the film, I am at present trying to collect all of his movies.

I wasn't sure what to expect although I liked the summary of the story. What an excellent film - I often dislike American films because there is so much shouting and noise and you can't understand what is going on half the time, but this was a real treat. It was the kind of film that the Americans make superbly. No background music, simple storyline but a very good one.

James Franco's performance is soooo good and he looks and sounds gorgeous as always. Brenda Blethyn maybe a little over the top with her accent but on the whole all of the cast are great.

Very enjoyable, adult viewing. Highly recommended.

Easy Virtue [DVD]
Easy Virtue [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ben Barnes
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 5.04

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely period feel, 31 Mar 2010
This review is from: Easy Virtue [DVD] (DVD)
I bought the DVD mainly because Ben Barnes, who plays John Whittaker, stars in it - I simply adore him!

I was not disappointed - the film is stylish, very funny and very English, and the period feel is excellent. Jessica Biel is superb as the lead character Larita, and one can't help but feel sorry for her as she struggles to keep afloat in the Whittaker household but finds even John, her husband, drifting away from her. Colin Firth is lovely as the detached, gentle husband/father.

The soundtrack is also excellent and I also bought the CD (something I do not usually do).

Ben is as gorgeous as ever.

Excellent British comedy - highly recommended for light, enjoyable viewing.

Dorian Gray [DVD]
Dorian Gray [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ben Barnes
Offered by DVDBayFBA
Price: 3.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Dorian Gray - Ben Barnes is perfect!, 15 Mar 2010
This review is from: Dorian Gray [DVD] (DVD)
It is quoted on the case that "Ben Barnes is perfect" - well I am biased because he is my favourite actor (he was incredibly gorgeous in Prince Caspian).

Apart from my bias, I really don't think they could have picked a better actor for the main character. Ben is totally captivating and the whole movie is brilliantly put together. It is dark, tragic, very sexy and jumpy at times, but with humorous moments as well. Colin Firth is excellent as Henry Wotton who basically pushes poor Dorian to his undoing. Ben Chaplin is perfect too as Basil, the artist. The period feel of late Victorian London is perfect.

All in all, I think this is an excellent interpretation of Oscar Wilde's classic. Highly recommended.