Profile for aurorah > Reviews

aurorah (Cornwall)

The Very Hungover Caterpillar
The Very Hungover Caterpillar

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book! Look forward to next year's, 8 Dec. 2014
I am buying this for all my friends! We have all read the charming Hungry Caterpillar over and over to our kids - this parody made us laugh and laugh. I showed it to my eldest child and had to explain what a hangover was... Brilliant book! Look forward to next year's.

The Key to It All
The Key to It All

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting, enjoyable story you can't put down., 28 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Key to It All (Kindle Edition)
I have read all of this author's books and think this is her best ever. It has a great premise at the heart of a fantastic plot and moves along at an irresistable pace. I read it over two days and loved every page. The mysterious key is delivered to five people who really need the opportunities it provides, but it is not as simple as that... The story moves around the world and has the glamour, wit and sex appeal we all expect from Joanna Rees. Don't miss out on a book which will keep you gripped through every page.

The Heresy Within (The Ties that Bind Book 1)
The Heresy Within (The Ties that Bind Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars needs a publisher, 4 Aug. 2013
This has the right ingredients for a really good story. I found the spelling and grammatical errors interrupted my enjoyment and, as always, gave the book that amateur feel. Shame. The language is pretty raw and the violence a bit much at times. I found myself skipping a lot of the fights. The ending was very good but I am not sure I will bother with the next two books as the characters are pretty 2D and not developed enough for my liking. A good editor would sort out all these issues and work with the author to make this into a better book. I hope he gets picked up soon by one of the big publishers.

Blood Song: Book 1 of Raven's Shadow (A Raven's Shadow Novel)
Blood Song: Book 1 of Raven's Shadow (A Raven's Shadow Novel)

5.0 out of 5 stars agree with the 5 stars, 4 Aug. 2013
I completely agree with all the 5 star reviews of this book - it is brilliant. Having exhausted Abercrombie, got fed up with waiting for Rothfuss and been frustrated by some awful self-published efforts (terrible spelling and grammar, no editing) I was thrilled only pages into this book when I realised it was the real thing. All the right ingredients, beautifully written. A treat. Hurry up with Book 2 please.

Theft Of Swords: The Riyria Revelations
Theft Of Swords: The Riyria Revelations
by Michael J Sullivan

5.0 out of 5 stars All you want from a fantasy novel, 11 Sept. 2012
I have just finished reading the entire Trilogy and wanted to share how much I enjoyed it. In fact, I feel a bit bereft since turning the last page and am missing Royce and Hadrian already.

The relationship between these two buddies is the strongest aspect of the book. But there's much more to the series than that. The plot really races along and the end of each third of the trilogy is properly satisfying, unlike many trilogies that just leave you dangling between installments. I also enjoyed the main female character who was just as strong as the two heroes. Some fantasy authors can 'do men' or 'do women' well, but not many can do both.

If you like your fantasy raw and violent (baby-killing and rape galore as per G.R.R Martin) then this might be a bit tame, but I really loved the storytelling and the world the author has created and it was a delightful immersion.

Comfort and Joy
Comfort and Joy
by India Knight

1.0 out of 5 stars Unremittingly shallow and cliched., 26 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Comfort and Joy (Paperback)
What a nasty world this author must live in. This novel begins quite well. I found the opening scene very vivid and quite funny as the heroine shops in Oxford Street for suitable gifts for her 'whacky' family. But once we progress into the story it left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Clara tells us how her marriage has survived because she's 'put out' so much over the years. And how there may not be zingy passion every day but that friendship and shared love of their children has kept them solid... And then she gets her head turned by a hunk in a bar... and then hubby walks out. Which crucial scene we don't even get to see. What happened to them?? We never even hear it from his point of view. Lazy lazy sloppy. Clara cries for a bit then gets on with shopping and cooking and generally being an over-privileged airhead. She vaguely wonders where it all went wrong but ploughs no deeper for an answer than airy wonderings. And we are supposed to find her appealing and believable? Not for me.

Shall never read another word this author writes!

Platinum
Platinum
by Jo Rees

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely brilliant!, 18 May 2008
This review is from: Platinum (Hardcover)
I loved every page of this raunchy, exciting bonkbuster. Great female characters wearing fabulous clothes and getting up to all sorts - but they were realistic too, unlike women in other books like this. Frankie, Peaches and Emma are great women who you wish were your friends. Stayed up all night finishing it and can't wait for this author's next book!!

Good Mother, Bad Mother
Good Mother, Bad Mother
by Gina Ford

5.0 out of 5 stars I've been waiting for a book like this, 11 May 2006
I've been a mum for five years now and have had many agonised times, wondering if I was a "good mum" or whether things I did (or didn't do) made me a bad mum instead. I read this book in two days after a friend recommended it and I felt a big weight just lift off me. Gina's own story is interesting and inspiring (she's a real person!!) and the other voices in the book just reminded me I'm only human and I'm just like most mothers - trying to do the best I can with my own circumstances. Her final message is one I am keeping close to my heart - the world needs to change to put mothers higher up the political agenda so we can help those children and parents who are struggling. I wanted to cheer out loud when I finished it - thank you for such a refreshing viewpoint and such a positive message.