Profile for Phispter > Reviews

Long Player Late Bloomer
Long Player Late Bloomer
Price: 11.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Best album yet....., 3 Mar 2011
Outstanding album from the under rated Canadian troubadour.

Maybe the change of production team has reinvigorated his muse. One could almost describe this albuum as jaunty. Endlessly playing on my car stereo and even my wife hasn't asked it to be switched off....!

The Lacuna
The Lacuna
by Barbara Kingsolver

5.0 out of 5 stars Oustanding, 25 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Lacuna (Paperback)
Not often I am moved to write a review of a book but having just finished The Lacuna I felt I had to write something.

I can understand why some people think that the book is slow and disjointed but after a while that was the very aspect I loved about the book. It proceeds with a sense of inevitability especially as most of the historical settings are well known vis a vis The Frida Kahlo household and the American political inquisition.

I found the book on one of my shelves without remembering whether I had bought it or been given it so started without any preconceptions and it is also the first Kingsolver I have read. I have been telling friends that books like these are the reason that I love reading...

River Of Time
River Of Time
by Jon Swain
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The most memorable and moving book that I have ever read., 17 April 2000
This review is from: River Of Time (Paperback)
I read this book for the first time some years ago and I still think of it regularly. It is not a book to be read if you are feeling morose or depressed as it is unremittingly sad and in fact leaves you with the feeling that Jon Swain was encouraged to write it to exorcise whatever demons had been left in him by his experiences in Vietnam and Cambodia.
I have probably bought more than 20 editions to give out to friends and family accompanied by the words, "this is the best book that I have ever read".