Profile for Mr. Stephen James Rowland > Reviews

Content by Mr. Stephen Ja...

Mr. Stephen James Rowland "towy4" (LANCASHIRE IN UNITED KINGDOM)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS3)
Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS3)
Price: 24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars what a shooter!!!, 24 May 2014
I've heard some negative things about the graphics on the Ps3 version of this game and this nearly stopped me from trying it, but luckily I did buy it and... what a game!
So yes, it's graphics could be better and it glitches here and there but never enough to effect it's superlative gunplay and storyline.
It's story and how it's woven through the game is done really well and you really care for its characters but it's those gunplay mechanics that are the star of the show here. The guns feel superb to handle and shoot and reminded me of the chunky weaponry on Halo:CE and the lesser known Black from 2001. Add into this... decent enemy AI, selectable fire rates on upgradeadle weaponry, an excellent 'lean out from cover' maneuvre, levels with more than one way through and not to forget the optional stealth takedowns that let you progress entire levels unnoticed(if thats your bag?) ...and that cracking story pushing proceedings along... this is one excellent game.
If you can forgive the admittedly ropey graphics and to a lesser extent the unimpressive opening stage you're rewarded with a fantastic shooter. Easily the finest one in my collection... Call of Duty, eat your heart out!

Freeplay LED Handlampe Energy Sherpa Xray LED
Freeplay LED Handlampe Energy Sherpa Xray LED

5.0 out of 5 stars Let there be light... fantastic torch, 15 Jan 2014
I bought my Freeplay xray-led torch about 15 years ago never expecting still to have it today, not only do I still have it now but it's still my one and only torch! They don't kid when they say 10,000 hrs lamp life, this torch has seen me through scores of camping trips, all manner of midnight emergencies and numerous power black-outs and its still going strong. FANTASTIC TORCH.

Basic Yoga Workout For Dummies [DVD]
Basic Yoga Workout For Dummies [DVD]
Dvd ~ Andrea Ambandos
Price: 6.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Yoga DVD, 24 Mar 2013
It says 'beginner' on the box but Ive been doing this yoga routine for nearly eight years and its the only one Ive ever needed. The intermediate routine is also good to learn if you feel like you need to learn a quicker routine, but the 45 minute beginner routine may just be the only one you ever need. The way Sara explains the routine slowly to you really eases you into the workout, and with regular use it works absolute wonders on your body. Im 42 and so glad I found out the benefits to my body from practising yoga... If you want to wind your physical and mental fitness back 20 years... but this DVD and practice yoga! It even reversed a developing back complaint I had for nearly ten years.

Yoga works... fact! (I never would have said that 10 years ago)

Fallout 3 - Game Of The Year Edition (PS3)
Fallout 3 - Game Of The Year Edition (PS3)
Offered by GAMES CONSOLES BARGAIN
Price: 17.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Fallout 3 made me Fallout with Skyrim, 10 Oct 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I only bought this game because it was cheap, and I knew it was from the makers of the bugged but sublime Skyrim. What harm could it do? I mean... its four years old, and cant have aged that well? Theres no way it could beat Bethesda's mythical masterpiece?
It does. Only just mind, but I have now shelved Skyrim, whilst I focus all my time and effort into this superb game called Fallout 3.
Dont be in any doubt here... for me, Fallout 3 is better than Skyrim.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PS3)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PS3)
Offered by Gameline GmbH.
Price: 16.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome... simply, Awesome., 16 Jun 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Ive only just bought this game because Dark Souls came out first and I never like buying similarly themed games together. All I have to say about Skyrim is ...wow, what a game!
Skyrim is the perfect antidote to slogging through Dark Souls punishing game world for six months. Its an absolute joy to play in this relaxing, immersive world were the hours fly-by if your not careful.
The full map is open to you right from the start, which is good because you can just wander anywhere and do anything you want before you even think of starting the main quest.
Getting to grips with the vast array of weapons feels brilliant and there seems no end to the customization you can do with all your equipment and weaponry.
I also like the way you can tackle scenarios differently, you can just run in to battles and just throw caution to the wind or take a stealthy approach. Creeping round some of the dangerous mountainous sections and dungeons feels really atmospheric when you get the hang of the on screen 'detection meter' that lets you know if the enemy suspect someone is there. Also, being able to sneak up behind enemies and take them out in gruesome style with a gory slit-throat kill feels utterly brilliant. The feeling you get from successfully taking down an entire legion of guards by using only stealth kills is as macabre as it is satisfying! Yes, the stealth in this game is superb(if you decide to use it that is), thanks for the option Bethesda!
The world that Bethesda have created is truly awe-inspiring, I keep getting distracted by the scenery whilst I traverse the games many and varied landscapes, almost picturesque in there Hi-Def brilliance(Picture creeping over a snow-capped peak to spot a Dragon slumbering on a Clifftop and the Aurora Borealis setting the night sky off in the background... awesome to behold, let me tell you!)
And lets not forget about Skyrims underworld, a vast and intricate labyrinth of caverns and passage ways that stretch under the entire map. You can spend days exploring this impressive underground world alone(Imagine Lord of the Rings' 'Mines of Moria' but on a massive scale, and then populate it with thousands of deadly orcs and other nasties and your not far off this games underworld)
Skyrims map, both above and below ground is a fantastic piece of design.
The game is also backed by a stunning incidental orchestral score that perfectly suits whats happening on screen, and whilst gentle strings and female voices will accompany you simply riding on horseback across the landscape, the music quickly shifts to full orchestral if a dragon drops out of the sky to take you on!
The music even changes if your creeping up on someone for a stealth kill, which really adds tension and suspense to the moment... another excellent touch.
Honestly, I cant rate this game highly enough and though it does have a few bugs, they dont break the game like most are touting in the one star reviews!
But with the sheer scope of the map, and the variety in quests, gameplay and weaponry, it more than makes up for the little niggles.
Skyrim is a masterpiece of game creation... Roll on Elder Scrolls VI!

After completing the main story line I still feel like Ive only seen a tiny percentage of what Skyrim has to offer... Awesome game.

PS- I highly recommend playing this game with surround sound headphones, because the atmosphere created with the games sound is stunning, And just not the same through a normal stereo set-up. And personally speaking, though the sound is good through the hi-fi dolby surround, it feels ten times better when you play it through surround enhanced headphones... You feel like you're there!
I use an earforce-DSS with normal stereo headphones to achieve a superb gaming experience that will consume your life...
...BE WARNED, THIS GAME IS ADDICTIVE!

NB. TIP... Keep your game saves down to two, and always keep deleting your autosaves and the game runs very smooth... 95% of the time. Never turn your autosave off completely, (like I foolishly did) they can be a lifesaver sometimes, so dont turn them off completely just use them as a backup for if you die unexpectedly and set them for every 30mins or so.

Sniper Elite V2 (PS3)
Sniper Elite V2 (PS3)
Offered by S6 entertainment
Price: 36.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Whack up that difficulty for a TRUE snipers paradise!, 7 May 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Sniper Elite V2 (PS3) (Video Game)
Sniper Elite V2 is excellent, but lets get one thing straight from the start... its not without some issues. For a start, most (but not all) of the computer A.I. enemies seem to sway from super-intelligent crack-shot to blind-as-a-bat dumb-ass at the drop of an hat. And I suppose the level design could have done with a bit more time in development too, with some suspect collision detection and invisible walls were you would least expect them. But in spite of all its little faults and failings Sniper Elite V2 has got one important factor dripping from every pixel of its being... and that factor, is 'playability'.
Probably the most important factor for any game(in my opinion)is playability, and though the two other big first-person-shooters Call of Duty and Battlefield (Yes I know V2 isnt a FPS perse but its main sniping element IS first person) are slightly more polished and technically better designed products I have never once re-played a level from any of these two series campaign modes... Never. This is were Sniper Elite V2 excels itself.
Once you get over its faults, something that not everyone will be able to do, the levels are endlessly re-playable.
I myself clocked in over a hundred playthroughs on the demo alone, and yes though some levels are better than others on the full game, its only a good testament to the games playability if you can go through a level and then want to play through it again straight away, as I do.
On the surface it looks like just a sub-standard bugged shooter, but it isnt if you dig a little deeper.
And alongside the re-playability factor are the awesome sniping mechanics.
Absolutely no other game comes close to the feel this game creates when you execute a perfect shot that triggers the path of the bullet slow-mo killcam as it travels to its victim, that then proceeds to show the bullet ripping through the victims organs in glorious gory x-rayed detail.
I suppose the close range weapons like the thompson and mp-40 could have been done a little better, but with practice you soon get the hang of the them, but lets not kid ourselves here, because its the sniping thats the star of the show.
One other point worth mentioning is the co-op modes. The option to play
through the entire campaign with an online friend is brilliant, because it adds
so much more longevity to the gameplay, especially with the levels being so re-playable to start with. And special co-op modes add even more longevity.
Its a cracking game 'IF' you can forgive its faults, and I know not all players will be able to do this, but they will be missing out on one of the most re-playable and enyoyable shooters of the last few years.

This game would have scored five stars if not for the faults on show, but these faults do not break the game. So... Four Stars it gets.

Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS 5.7 / 7.1 Channel Dolby Surround Sound Processor for Stereo Headsets (Xbox 360/PS3/Windows XP/Vista/7)

5.0 out of 5 stars Dolby 5.1 Sound Device... That fits in your pocket? ...Earforce DSS., 11 April 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
First off, let me start by saying... This humble little gadget is superb.
It's an ideal solution if like me, you like to watch movies or play games late at night without disturbing anyone.
Im no sound tech, but when I first played Ps3 Battlefield-3 with the DSS hooked up It took a while to sink in... the surround sound 'effect' is absolutely staggering. This game as got good sound to start with but through the DSS it really has to be witnessed, because the online environment comes alive, with bullets ricocheting off walls in all directions and jets screaming overhead... its simply Staggering!
I no longer have to struggle with targeting that annoying chopper... I can pin-point exactly were its attacking from! I dont need to worry about jeeps running me over 'out of the blue' whilst crossing fields on foot... I hear them approaching from a distance behind me and can dodge out of the way! Snipers are now so easy to locate and take out!
I can also hear every footstep approaching from any direction... its that precise!(No one is surprising me with a surprise 'dog-tag snatch' anymore!)
How the hell does this work through just a normal stereo signal? I dunno. But it does. The Earforce-DSS is definately your greatest online ally if you play to win.

The surround sound effect it produces in a decent set of headphones is without doubt... phenomenal.
And by decent headphones I dont mean a super-expensive set costing hundreds of pounds, I use an old set of Hitachi TMP018's that cost me thirty quid(2nd-hand) and when I hooked them up to the DSS I was very, very impressed by the surround sound produced. Ive also hooked the DSS up to some cheap fifteen quid sports headphones and the DSS surround still worked perfect, but the bass was obviously lessened somewhat. And the surround sound effect was even better through my Sennheiser wireless HDR-120's, I dont know how the hell it works through wireless headphones... but it does!
If youre lucky enough to own an 'uber-expensive' set of headphones, I can only imagine this gadget will make them truly sing to their full potential!

Like I said before, the DSS works great with movies but 'brilliantly' with video games and if you enjoy both games and movies late at night, its easily worth the fifty quid asking price.
PS- Its even made my old CD collection come to life again. Do you think that stereo is the pinnacle of sound when it comes to music? think again... Play them through this little device to unlock the TRUE sound thats contained within that CD or Mp3 track. Awesome.
(My expensive dolby surround amp now has some competition!)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 25, 2012 11:28 PM BST

Battlefield 3 - Limited Edition (PS3)
Battlefield 3 - Limited Edition (PS3)
Offered by pandagames
Price: 15.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Battlefield 3 online is stunning., 2 Nov 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Ps3 battlefield is absolutely brilliant... if you play online!
If your buying this game just to play the single player campaign mode, do not bother because it is simply not worth the money. It just feels like the campaign has been tacked on at the last minute to increase sales.
Right... now the negative is out of the way, the positive.

If you do play online? Battlefield 3 is without doubt the best online shooter I have ever, EVER, played!

I was a Call of Duty veteran before discovering the battlefield games but to tell you the truth, I really cant see how Modern Warfare 3 is going to stand up to the sheer variety of gameplay that is on offer during a single online Battlefield 3 match!

If you play online shooters, just buy it!

Dark Souls - Limited Edition (PS3)
Dark Souls - Limited Edition (PS3)
Offered by Gameseek
Price: 43.64

5.0 out of 5 stars From Software have done it again..., 8 Oct 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I wont waffle on, there's no need to because I would only echo what the other reviewer's have said already about this game.

Dark Souls is brilliant.

It plays exactly like Demons Souls but with a difference?
From Software have definitely improved on what was already a stellar title by giving Dark Souls a new open-world styling.

If you like a challenge or loved its predecessor 'Demons Souls' you will love it.
Dont think about it, buy it.
My review would have been longer, but Im only ten hours in and just want to get back to playing this superb game!

(The only warning I will give about this game is this...
If your the type of player who likes a 'quick bash' on a video game? Do not buy it.
If your the type who can sink hours at a time into a game? Buy it, its awesome)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 11, 2011 1:00 AM BST

High Speed (Category 2) 1.2 Meter Gold Plated HDMI to HDMI cable with 3D, Ethernet and Audio Return Channel
Offered by Betron Limited ( VAT Registered)
Price: 19.99

1.0 out of 5 stars this cable drops signal frequently, 14 July 2011
Definately wouldn't recommend this cable. Picture drops out a lot of the time, It didn't when I first bought it, but after 2 months this cable is now unusable. Totally ruins a movie when the screen goes blank, even if you get the picture back on... your then on edge waiting for the screen to go blank again((extremely annoying)).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3