Profile for chrissw > Reviews

Content by chrissw

"chrissw"

CCDA Exam Certification Guide: CCDA Self-study (Cisco Systems)
CCDA Exam Certification Guide: CCDA Self-study (Cisco Systems)
by A. Anthony Bruno

2.0 out of 5 stars This book is not about the exam, 6 Sept. 2004
I passed my CCDA for the second time 2 days ago (my previous certification had just expired).
This book is not, in my opinion, very closely related to the exam at all, and the so-called "Practice Test" on the CD is next to useless when it comes to preparing for the exam. You would be better off exercising common sense when it comes to answering some of the exam questions! The CD "exam" is primarily technical in nature, which does not reflect the reality of the exam. I can't go into more detail about the actual content of the exam because Cisco might get annoyed.
There is not enough material in the book about the human, rather than the technical process, of designing networks from scratch or adapting existing networks to new requirements. The book spends too much time discussing technical details, and if you already have a CCNA or some real-world experience, are most likely to be already familiar to you.

CCSA NG: Exam 156-210 (VPN-1/FireWall-1, Management I NG): Check Point Certified Security Administrator Study Guide (Certification Press)
by Justin Menga

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not complete, 5 July 2004
I just passed the CCSA exam using this book.
Not everything in the exam is covered by the book. The two most glaring inadequacies, in my opinion, were the lack of time devoted to SmartDefense and Storm Centre. These two topics appear in some depth in the exam and the book does not match up to the requirements. I found myself having to answer the Storm Centre question using nothing more than educated guesswork.
On the other hand, the book covers the important topic of authentication thoroughly and clearly, and this was an exam section where I did well.
So if you're coming to this exam with some experience or knowledge of the product, the book will help you fill out the gaps, but be aware that if those gaps are quite large, as they were in my case, you will most likely need some extra help.

Cisco Secure Intrusion Detection Systems (Core Series)
Cisco Secure Intrusion Detection Systems (Core Series)
by Earl Carter

4.0 out of 5 stars Thourough and complete, 21 May 2004
I'll be quite honest and open - I have no practical experience of the Cisco IDS. Everything I know about it came from this book, which I bought with the sole intention of getting through the CCSP exam.
The book allowed me to do just that (although by the skin of my teeth).
It covers everything you need to know to pass the exam, and even now, although I still have had no actual contact with Cisco IDS, it's great reference for reading about how some aspects of IDS systems work.
If you're like me and you just want to pass the exam, be prepared to spend lots of time with this book, because this exam is not easy!

Three Colours Trilogy [DVD]
Three Colours Trilogy [DVD]
Dvd ~ Juliette Binoche
Offered by Squirrelsounds

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply superb, 21 May 2004
This review is from: Three Colours Trilogy [DVD] (DVD)
These 3 films are one of the most significant events in the history of cinema. Having said that, I don't feel they deal with themes which are beyond the understanding of mere mortals like me and you. They are like some of Beethoven's greatest music: it's simple but unfathomably great.
My personal favourite is "White." The male lead embodies the pathos of his situation perfectly, and, while he goes on to overcome his personal difficulties in dramatic fashion, and to take revenge on what he sees as his wife's cruelty, he comes to realise that he has gained nothing of lasting value. The closing scene is one of the most genuinely moving moments I have ever seen.
The glorious "Blue" quickly dispenses with the preliminaries; the central character's composer husband is killed in a car accident, and his wife eventually finds peace and redemption through a chance hearing of a street musician, apparently playing one of her late husband's themes, even though the music had never been published. She goes on to work on her husband's unfinished compositions, and the film reminds us of the universality of human suffering and the potential for human unity.
Like I said, these aren't new or even original themes, but this trilogy treats them with a cinematic beauty and a profound insight into the workings of the mind which has never been equalled.
If you want to spend some time with your television, you couldn't ask for a more worthwhile way of doing it.

An Audience with Tony Benn
An Audience with Tony Benn
by Tony Benn
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Understand where we are, and how we got here, 4 Oct. 2003
If you've ever wondered whether it's worth going to vote because "It won't make any difference," you need to hear this to understand the enormous struggle and human cost of building universal democracy in the West.
Tony Benn is clear and lucid and hugely convincing in his belief in democracy and his thorough knowledge of the history of democracy informs this belief.
However, his starting point is the often-heard complaint that people nowadays are disengaged from democracy because they feel that their voice cannot make any difference. If everyone in the country could hear him on this CD, then even if only a small proportion of them were moved to do something about it, what a difference it would make.
Through humour and a series of hard-hitting facts, Tony Benn is an enjoyable and inspiring speaker.
Listen to this CD - it might just make a difference to you and others.

Tony Benn's Greatest Hits (Spoken Word)
Tony Benn's Greatest Hits (Spoken Word)
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Sincerity in an age of cynicism, 3 Oct. 2003
Firstly, I admit that I have heard only one of the speeches on this album: on the occasion of Thatcher's resignation in the House of Commons.
It is a powerful declaration of all that was wrong with thatcherism and the country and is just as valid now as it was then.
But most of all, this is the voice of a man who is utterly sincere in his beliefs and is completely without self-interest, a quality which is probably unique amongst British politicians of today.
If you, like many people, have become totally cynical and turned off by the political games of today's Britain, this is an unequalled reminder of what it _could_ be like when people have the interests of everyone at heart, not just themselves.

British Organ Music Including Elgar: Sonata, No.1
British Organ Music Including Elgar: Sonata, No.1

1.0 out of 5 stars Strange performance of the Organ Sonata, 1 July 2002
I was trying to find a CD replacement for an old cassette of Elgar's Organ Sonata, with Simon Preston. I had high expectations of Jennifer Bate's performance on this CD, but I was seriously disappointed.
Her choice of tempo is frequently slow to glacial, and some of the phrasing is downright...well, let's just say "individual." The build-up to the climax of the finale is more of a gentle stroll than scaling a mountain. It comes nowhere near Simon Preston's muscular performance. I cannot recommend it at all.