Profile for Freya Freeman > Reviews

Walk on Water [DVD] [2005] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Walk on Water [DVD] [2005] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Lior Ashkenazi

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and not what I was expecting, 7 Mar 2009
I found this very surprising and engaging. It was an interesting storyline and had much more depth and feeling to the characters than I expected from reading the dvd cover. I was really gripped and moved in many parts of this film and found it to be very refreshing and thought provoking. I particularly like the parts of the film where they were on tour - it reminded me of the awkward and interesting conversations that you end up having when travelling alone. Really enjoyed watching this.

Kolya [DVD]
Kolya [DVD]
Dvd ~ Zdenek Sverak

5.0 out of 5 stars How cute and how refreshing can a film be?!, 25 Feb 2009
This review is from: Kolya [DVD] (DVD)
I totally loved this. It had been sitting on my shelf for ages and i knew i would probably enjoy it but couldn't be bothered to watch it for some reason. How wrong was I to delay! I thought it was such a funny and tender story, quite simple in its telling. There are some wonderful moments throughout and it was interesting to watch the central characters develop and learn to love each other. Kolya, the little boy is adorable. I challenge anyone not to have their cold hearts melted by this one!!

Waiting for the Weekend
Waiting for the Weekend

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy, Sunny, Good times, 18 Jan 2009
This review is from: Waiting for the Weekend (Audio CD)
I bought this at the airport in New Zealand on my around the world trip. Since returning I have played this so many times. It conjures up happy memories of down under, the sun and the road trips! Its a great mix of music and guaranteed to make you smile. A good introduction to some unknown bands/singers. Happy tunes for happy days.

Charlotte Gray
Charlotte Gray
by Sebastian Faulks

5.0 out of 5 stars Still haunts me on the second reading, 6 Aug 2008
This review is from: Charlotte Gray (Paperback)
I read first read this book in my late teens and it haunted me then and brought with it a greater appreciation for literature that has stayed with me ever since. I decided to re-read Charlotte Gray now in my mid twenties and wasn't sure about how I would feel upon re-reading it.
Happily, I was swept away again. Charlotte is a very likeable character and Faulks manages to evoke romance and passion without any sense of sentimentality. I loved the characters of Levade and Julien and felt that they bring an extra depth to the story, enabling us to see Charlotte's strengths and passions.
It is a book that may teach you more about history and breaks down the barriers of time. Often books are either about war, or about love but this one manages to combine both without overshadowing the plot.
I feel Faulks is a beautifully haunting and transporting writer and this book will remain in my list of favourites forever.

Fine & Mellow
Fine & Mellow
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Bluesy and beautiful, 24 May 2008
This review is from: Fine & Mellow (Audio CD)
This is my favourite Nina album from what i've heard so far. She sings the blues so powerfully and the songs on this album are so moving and soulful. I just love it so much!

Sense & Sensibility : Complete BBC Series [2008] [DVD]
Sense & Sensibility : Complete BBC Series [2008] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Charity Wakefield

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart-Flutteringly Fantastic!, 13 Jan 2008
This adaptation is one to be devoured. Its dramatic, utterly beautiful and perfect for a Sunday evening on a wintery night. Or any time for that matter. If you are a hopeless romantic who needs a bit of gritty drama with your love-fix, then you won't be dissappointed as this delivers on all counts.
The costumes are beautiful and the locations perfect for this. The Cast are wonderful and I haven't been dissappointed by any of the acting performances. Rarely am I so swept away! Thumbs up from me.

A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian
A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian
by Marina Lewycka

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny and satisfying!, 27 May 2006
This book is a quirky tale of a feisty and disjointed family. It has wildy comic moments and also very sobering educational glimpses into the histories of the characters, and a historical background into Ukrainian 20th century history (which I knew little about prior to reading this).

I enjoyed this book as it doesn't try to be anything grandiose, yet it is moving and also very funny - moments with the family that all of us can relate to in some way. The father is infuriating and selfish much of the time. However, I often felt sorry for him throughout the story as he is so blind to the deceptions and reality of the predicaments that he gets himself into.

I usually go for much grittier stories which are often harder to get to grips with and sometimes, try as I might, I just don't always "get it"! I was pleased to discover that this book was much more impressive than I expected and I enjoyed every page - Its a real page turner!

First Time Around the World: A Rough Guide Special (Rough Guide Travel Guides)
First Time Around the World: A Rough Guide Special (Rough Guide Travel Guides)
by Doug Lansky

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative, inspiring and useful, 29 Jan 2006
I would highly recommend this book when about to plan a round the world trip or indeed any kind of solo travel where you will need to plan your own routes and accomodation.

It is inspiring and colourful with vibrant pictures giving you ideas about where you may like to go, and detailed tips and information about all aspects of your trip. It covers what to take, how much to take, who to travel with and even deals with coming home again.

It is written in a way that appeals to both young students/graduates/young people who are about to embark upon an adventure but it is not soley for this group. It offers tips for those on a career break and those that may have to deal with renting out their own property when they go away so I feel it would be useful for all travellers of all ages.

The end of the book gives brief highlights and accounts of continents to get you thinking about where you might like to go and throughout the book there are leads and links to places where you can access further information on the topics covered.

I think that this is one of the best books i've read on the subject and worth investing in to maximise your trip.