Profile for Mr. P. J. Underwood > Reviews

Content by Mr. P. J. Unde...

Mr. P. J. Underwood "tphil" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Canon Powershot G16 ( 12.1 MP,5 x Optical Zoom,3 -inch LCD )
Canon Powershot G16 ( 12.1 MP,5 x Optical Zoom,3 -inch LCD )
Offered by Fonz Mania
Price: 414.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent handling but I need better quality images, 15 May 2014
I bought this second hand in immaculate condition from an Amazon Marketplace seller. I needed a second camera for when I don't want to lug my Nikon D90 and lenses. I checked online reviews, you can get some useful information but I always take them with a pinch of salt. So I always check Alamy's Recommended Camera list and the G16 was on it so that was a good start.

I tried it for about three weeks, it handles really well takes great quality shots and has lots of cool features, HDR, slow motion video and some wacky scenes and effects which I don't use in camera. However it only has a 1/1.7 sensor and this really showed when blowing up images. I know its a bit unfair comparing it to the APS-C sensor of my D90, however I felt that to be able to submit to stock library you would be pushing it (OK I would be pushing it) to get photographs that fulfilled the quality guidelines. I also feel that the world of pro/semi pro photography is moving on from those tiny sensors so it could be obsolete sooner rather than later.

I sent it back - the seller has a great returns policy and procedure - and bought a new Sony RX100 (Mk1) for a little more. It takes amazing shots, much better than the Canon, although the handling is less intuitive. Its possible to get superb quality compacts at much higher prices but the RX100 satisfies my balance of quality versus price.

Hercules HA300 Tab Grab Tablet Holder for Music Stand
Hercules HA300 Tab Grab Tablet Holder for Music Stand
Offered by 1to1music
Price: 27.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Ver good iPad holder, 15 May 2014
I chose this product because a musician friend has one and I liked it. Its much less expensive than the K&M product and it holds my iPad 2 securely at all angles unlike reports I see about the iKlip. With its quick release device its very easy to insert and remove the iPad. Easy to fit to a stand and to adjust the viewing angle of the iPad. I feel confident that the iPad is secure at any angle. Folds down small and fits in my gig bag.

it is supplied with adapters for table mounting and to fit it to the top of a straight mike stand if you want it stand alone, however this didn't fit firmly enough to my straight stand so would need packing with a strips of thick paper.

Couple of minor points:
I took a star off because it doesn't clamp firmly onto the narrow diameter part of the mike stand so the height you can have it is limited if you want it on your regular mike stand.

If they had made the clamp for the iPad a little deeper it could have been fitted in its case.

Otherwise Im very satisfied, I use it on stage and in my studio

WD Elements 1TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0/2.0 - Black
WD Elements 1TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0/2.0 - Black
Offered by Fuzion
Price: 66.29

1.0 out of 5 stars Died and only one year warranty, 14 April 2014
It died after a year and out of Warranty. WD only offer a one year warranty on their Elements HDs, Seagate offer a three year warranty and get a higher ratio of 4/5 star reviews vs 1/2 star so I now use their hard drives instead of WD. Simples!

NEW UNBREAKABLE MOLDED RUBBERISED MICROPHONE MIKE STAND CLIP
NEW UNBREAKABLE MOLDED RUBBERISED MICROPHONE MIKE STAND CLIP
Offered by Racksoy
Price: 4.09

3.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for SM58 sized mikes, 14 April 2014
The product as deliveree is too big for the SM58. it's fine for my Rode M3s which are the bigger diameter mikes.

Yamaha Pocketrak W24 Pocket Recorder
Yamaha Pocketrak W24 Pocket Recorder

5.0 out of 5 stars Great replacement for my Zoom H4n, 14 April 2014
I have a Zoom H4n and became tired of the problems which I've detailed in a separate review. I now use a Yamaha Pocketrak W24 for audio note taking and field recordings. It's tiny, has a wireless remote, batteries last forever, booting up takes about five seconds, recordings are great. And cost about half the price.

Nissin Di622 Nikon Fit Is A High Power Flash Unit
Nissin Di622 Nikon Fit Is A High Power Flash Unit

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and much cheaper, 4 Feb 2014
Used on my D90, much cheaper than the Nikon unit and lots of power. Needs some familiarity to get the right exposure, otherwise excellent purchase.

Sennheiser HD 25-1 II Closed Headphone for ENG/DJ use with split headband, 1.5m steel cable/70 ohms right angle

2.0 out of 5 stars Right earpiece intermittent, 4 Feb 2014
It worked fine for a while then the right earpiece started being intermittent. I havent worked out whether its the audio cable where its clamped on, or the red connector that connects it to the earpiece. Either way its not good for a product of this price.

Power Dynamics PDS-M16 Microphone Pop Shield Recording Filter
Power Dynamics PDS-M16 Microphone Pop Shield Recording Filter
Offered by SilvercrestEnergy
Price: 8.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Works but dont like the clamp, 4 Feb 2014
It works ok as a pop filter but the clamp has points in it which make big scratches in the mike stands.

Qwik Tune Snark Guitar, Bass and Violin Clip On Tuner
Qwik Tune Snark Guitar, Bass and Violin Clip On Tuner
Price: 9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very well made, 4 Feb 2014
It eats batteries and the rubber cover for the clamp kept falling off until it finally could not be found. Otherwise its a good accurate tuner.

Heavy duty microphone stand - black
Heavy duty microphone stand - black
Offered by Simply Sound Ltd
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good, 4 Feb 2014
For the price its been very useful for in my music room and for instrument miking on stage. Wouldnt use it for vocals as I prefer a boom stand

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4