Profile for Oneslayerlover > Reviews

The Sapphires [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chris O'Dowd
Price: 4.00

4.0 out of 5 stars True Soul, 24 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Sapphires [DVD] (DVD)
"The Sapphires" came from left-field, Chris O'Dowd, comedy, soul music, thought it would be a pleasant diversion but nothing special, worth streaming an undemanding before bedtime. I didn't expect to be writing this through tear filled eyes, smiling and a bit knocked for six.

There are far deeper things going on here, the cast really finding the soul in the music, the truth in the relationships, the pain in the appalling treatment of Aborigines by the Australian government, the desperate need for hope in Vietnam and the strength of family. They are uniformly excellent, Chris O'Dowd's career best performance so far overshadowed (but not by too great a margin) by the girls.

The music is joyous, moving and full of emotion and was embraced by this non-fan of the music normally, and the actresses make the characters hearts pour out through it, doing their real-life counterparts proud.

"The Sapphires" may well have lodged itself in my slightly surprised heart.

Anthology - The Phonogram Years
Anthology - The Phonogram Years
Price: 11.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Goth Goodness: Why Was I So Late to the Party?, 20 Dec 2011
At the last minute, I bought tickets to see The Wonder Stuff (one of my top 5 favourite bands) supporting The Mission in Leeds. Realising I probably only knew maybe 2 Mission tracks ("Butterfly on a Wheel" and "Tower of Strength") and that this was a bit disgraceful for an ex-Goth, I went to Amazon to provide me with an album and this is the one I found.

After one listen I was deeply annoyed at myself that I hadn't heard much more of this before (this was confirmed at the gig, when they were wonderful)and could have been listening to this trove of wonder for years.

This seems to contain all The Mission you need, with so many loping guitar lines, Hussey's distinctive vocals and some versions on this that really bring out different elements. I wasn't aware of the cover of "Like A Hurricane", one of my all-time favourites from a hero, Neil Young. It doesn't touch the original, but it still soars, especially live. "Butterfly" and "Tower of Strength" are still the highlights, but this is an essential purchase for fan and potential new fan alike.