Profile for MarkHintNorth > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Three Musketeers
The Three Musketeers

4.0 out of 5 stars A surprise!, 7 April 2014
After watching the TV adaptation l thought maybe I'd re - visit the book. I suddenly realised I'd only ever read the children's adaptation, which was quite different! Lets just say the TV version was a bit more accessible, but the book has a plot which was ultimately more satisfying. And quite a bit less virtuous!

Good Clean Murder: A Plain Jane Mystery
Good Clean Murder: A Plain Jane Mystery

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit lacking in substance, 7 April 2014
Ok, and almost certainly better than anything I could write, but I just felt it wasa bit lacking in character development.

Herbal Remedies A-Z
Herbal Remedies A-Z

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmm. Treat with caution!, 3 Oct 2013
I have to fess up - I prefer my medicine to come in bottles with a pharmacy label.
I know there are some very valid herbal remedies which pharmacology is still catching up with.
But even though there are warnings about consulting your doctor before starting on a herbal remedy, I find anything that suggests radiation induced infertility can be treated by herbal means rather hard to swallow or take seriously thereafter.

Fossil River
Fossil River

3.0 out of 5 stars Jurassic Park/Lost World meets eco-challenges., 3 Oct 2013
This review is from: Fossil River (Kindle Edition)
Interesting idea but I can't help feeling the whole "Lost World" thing is probably a bit destroyed by satellite imagery!

Emerald Sea (Council Wars Book 2)
Emerald Sea (Council Wars Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars When do I get the next one in the series?, 3 Oct 2013
I've not long discovered John Ringo - and I have to say he's compelling. Obviously a military historian/sci-fi type of writer. More please!

Recovery of a Colony Ship (Colony Ship Eschaton Book 1)
Recovery of a Colony Ship (Colony Ship Eschaton Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Vaguely reminiscent of something else?, 3 Oct 2013
Sort of reminds me of Colony Ship, Earthfall and also bits of Orson Scott-Card - future earth depleted/dying, people on colony ship who've lost sight of their roots. Best described as showing promise!

Schrodinger's Telephone
Schrodinger's Telephone

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea!, 3 Oct 2013
Somewhere, there's an alternative reality where your hopes and dreams have come true! What about slipping between the cracks and seeing it? Or getting a phone call...

Elysium. Part Two
Elysium. Part Two

3.0 out of 5 stars Depressing sequel..., 3 Oct 2013
This review is from: Elysium. Part Two (Kindle Edition)
Ok, it's not the book's fault it's depressing, it's just a grim scenario. But you do wonder where it's all going....

Melt Zone: Action-Adventure Thriller
Melt Zone: Action-Adventure Thriller

4.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a romp!, 3 Oct 2013
Okay, I think Clive Cussler meets James Bond meets evil-Nazi legacy eco-trendy science just about sums it up!
It made me realise how much dodgy science has crept into the public consciousness as being "true" though! (Not saying it's not true, jsut saying it's not proven!)

Amongst the Ruins (The Chronicles of 2020 Book 1)
Amongst the Ruins (The Chronicles of 2020 Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to imagine this kind of world happening!, 3 Oct 2013
Really, Life among the ruins is just that - but it's a backdrop and explanation for some of the attitudes and society that is described in the story.

Interesting 1st person viewpoint.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4