Profile for Gillian Ann Taylor > Reviews

Content by Gillian Ann Taylor

Gillian Ann Taylor

The Dragon's Apprentice (Dragon Valley Book 1)
The Dragon's Apprentice (Dragon Valley Book 1)
Price: 2.47

3.0 out of 5 stars Intended for Children, 28 Oct 2013
Entertaining. It is a children's book, so fairly short but I enjoyed it. There were twists, you felt for the hero, a bit facile, but it is aimed at kids, who I'm sure would enjoy it.

Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Black
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Black
Price: 59.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought as a Bargain - but great for holidays, 28 Oct 2013
Kindle was on offer (49) and I had a 2 week summer holiday coming up - as I tend to read about a book a day, this often takes up a lot of luggage weight allowance - so I thought I'd try it. It's great! Loaded about 10 Colin Cotterill books for 0.99 or less, the latest Terry Pratchett, a few classics (Kim, Stalky and Co), a few Darcy/girly books on offer (missed Lost in Austenland for 0.99 daily offer as didn't have Kindle in time), latest Lyndsey Davis, a Jack Reacher or 2.....and off we went. Had no problems in the sun, it got slightly splashed from the pool. I was careful not to drop it. Great.
Did need to recharge it twice on holiday, so I did need to buy (extra) a recharger (more weight!), and I had wanted to get a cover of some sort for protection but not much around in Waterstones or at Stansted airport but it survived anyway. I'll put it on the Christmas list.
Didn't load any books whilst away as no wifi.

Greatest Hits
Greatest Hits
Offered by iAlpha Technologies
Price: 4.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it - upbeat, poppy, 3 Sep 2013
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Bought because I quite like McFly, especially their better known songs. Upbeat, poppy, sing along in the car....just can't play it in car all the time as some of my friends don't like them!

Three O'clock High [DVD]
Three O'clock High [DVD]
Dvd ~ Casey Siemaszko
Offered by thesaverdeals
Price: 3.76

1.0 out of 5 stars Like the film, but it's not readable on my dvd., 3 Sep 2013
This review is from: Three O'clock High [DVD] (DVD)
I remember liking the film on video so bought this on dvd as a replacement. Unfortunately, it can't be read on my DVD. No doubt, I bought the wrong type of DVD for a UK DVD Player....or it's a duff DVD, I don't know. It was disappointing.
Whichever, glad I haven't thrown the Video out yet.
Having difficulty getting replacements for all my videos, especially the odd or older ones.

MOTOROLA BX40 BATTERY
MOTOROLA BX40 BATTERY

2.0 out of 5 stars Battery still runs out very quickly and can't switch off mobile overnight without draining the battery, 3 Sep 2013
This review is from: MOTOROLA BX40 BATTERY (Accessory)
Bought battery to replace original one in Motorola Razor mobile which was draining rather quickly. Unfortunately, whilst this is better, I can no longer switch the mobile off overnight (I prefer NOT to be awoken by random text messages in the middle of the night) without the baterry becoming drained....i.e. from 3 bars to barely 1 when the mobile is switched off and therefore shouldn;t be using ANY power at all. People tell me it's because I didn't do x,y,z with the battery when it arrived, but there were no x,y,z instructions so how are you supposed to know to do whatever......
I'm living with it (on vibrate so as not to disturb sleep - however, that depends on the surface you leave it on!)....because there's no guarantee that buying another that the same wouldn't happen again.

London 0 Hull 4
London 0 Hull 4
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great. Brought back memories, 3 Sep 2013
This review is from: London 0 Hull 4 (Audio CD)
Heard Happy Hour Again somewhere, and it spurred me on to get the CD to replace my tape which I can no longer play in the car. Enjoying it as much as the first time around. One of the best Housemartins LPs in my opinion.

Ready Player One
Ready Player One
by Ernest Cline
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Borrowed it from library too many times, 19 July 2013
This review is from: Ready Player One (Paperback)
Found this in library and eventually decided to buy it - would suit anyone who used to (or does now!) play video games or use computers in the 80's. Masses of references. However, from one who was never really into the 80's kind of stuff, it's a great adventure in an alternative future.

Wildcats [DVD] [1986] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Wildcats [DVD] [1986] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Goldie Hawn

5.0 out of 5 stars Replacing videos!, 19 July 2013
Loved this in the 80s and 90s and needed to replace videos.
Recommended to anyone who likes Goldie Hawn's earlier stuff...and to catch sight of a young Wesley Snipes and Woody Harrelson (possibly others too). Kookie.

Chuck  - Season 5 [DVD] [2012]
Chuck - Season 5 [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Zachary Levi
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Last in the series, 19 July 2013
Had watched series 1 to 4 over several w/ends so needed 5 to finish it off. Due to weather and busy social summer, not had chance to finish it yet.

Rivers of London: 1
Rivers of London: 1
by Ben Aaronovitch
Price: 7.27

5.0 out of 5 stars For A friend, 19 July 2013
This review is from: Rivers of London: 1 (Paperback)
It arrived earlier than expecxted. Unfortunately too late for friend's birthday but I knew that beforehand.
Friend started reading mine whilst on holiday last week.