Profile for J. Cooke > Reviews

Content by J. Cooke

J. Cooke "The Cookster" (Wiltshire, England)

Waltons Irish 18" Bodhran Players Pack
Waltons Irish 18" Bodhran Players Pack
Offered by 1to1music

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good quality bodhran, 27 Jan 2013
I bought this after reading lots of online reviews about bodhrans which had pleased or disappointed buyers. Many bought this one after having tried other makes, and said they wished they had bought this one first. I'm so pleased I chose this one. The quality is excellent - it's very smart, well made and looks the business. The sound it makes is gorgeous and can be toned to taste by dampening the skin. At less than £50 it's also extremely good value. Some of my friends are professional musicians - they all love this bodhran - with one friend quoted as saying 'this is the best Christmas present any man could wish to have'. I'm glad too that I didn't choose one with tuners as somebody had written in their review that they get in the way of playing comfort (I guess this is when the drum is resting on the leg). The tuning taps would add too much complication I think, and you can 'tune' by dampening the skin. My next mission is to buy another one, perhaps a slightly smaller version (easier for carrying to the pub!) so that friends can join in too. A great instrument - thoroughly recommended. Enjoy!

Isvik
Isvik
by Hammond Innes

1.0 out of 5 stars A good author, but a disappointing read, 8 Aug 2008
This review is from: Isvik (Paperback)
This is the first book I have read by this successful author. I would like to think I would pick up others in the future, but for this first one I'm afraid I was very disappointed with it. The opening chapters set the scene in terms of plot. Thereafter, the connections between characters seemed contrived, the story took ages to gather any momentum (seeming to spend unnecessary pages delving into the nature of the characters which didn't add much to developing the plot) and only reached any meaningful corner a handful of pages from the end. I won't spoil the story or what happens at the end of it for future readers, but for me it just didn't seem plausible. Perhaps others might think differently.

The Greatest Man in Cedar Hole
The Greatest Man in Cedar Hole
by Stephanie Doyon

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable easy read, 21 Aug 2006
I picked up this book up as a 'wild card'. The story line (seemingly quiet US town where nothing happens) is gentle. What makes the book interesting is the element of unusual goings on, brought out by the personalities of the characters involved. This is the sort of book you can pick up, sit back and not have to work hard at. I would have given this 3 stars, but given Doyon's writing is clever and humerous (which added much to the enjoyment of reading it) I have given it 4 stars.

Roget's International Thesaurus, 6th Edition
Roget's International Thesaurus, 6th Edition
by Barbara Kipfer

5.0 out of 5 stars The best thesaurus in its class, 11 Sep 2002
This is the first thesaurus I have come across in this format (see other reviews), and it certainly deserves all the praise given before. The A-Z indexing which forms part 2 of the book provides a much broader scope for not only word usage, but allows the user to cross-refer to the categories section forming part 1 of the book. An excellent way to explore the English language.