Profile for G. Samara > Reviews

Content by G. Samara

G. Samara "jamalayka" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
35mm Film and Print Processing: The Commercial Process In The Small Darkroom
35mm Film and Print Processing: The Commercial Process In The Small Darkroom

5.0 out of 5 stars superb book and wise words. highly recommended., 27 Oct. 2015
excellent book. makes things simple and debunk many nowadays theories. simple and effective methods. read the 35mm camera first. they complement each other.

52mm Color Filter Blue Yellow Orange Red Green + Lens Cap + 6 slot Case for Nikon D7100 D7000 D5200 D5100 D3200 D3100 D3000 D90 D4 D3X D800 D700 D600 D300S D300 D7100 D7000 D5200 D5100 D5000 D3200 D3100 D3000 D90 D80 D70 D60 D50 D40 LF68
Offered by XCSOURCE

5.0 out of 5 stars Well packaged, and arrived on time. I haven't ..., 25 Oct. 2015
Well packaged, and arrived on time. I haven't used them all yet, but seem to be well made with metal ring.

Minisuit Removable Qwerty Keyboard Case for iPad Air 1 & 2 (5th/6th Gen, 2013/2014)
Offered by MiniSuit

5.0 out of 5 stars not much to say really except that it is better than I thought and for the money I can't ..., 11 Aug. 2015
not much to say really except that it is better than I thought and for the money I can't complain at all. Not heavy, well padded to protect iPad. one touch button to pair with iPad, easy removable keyboard. it was so easy i thought I missed something. Good keys feed back and bouncy. Fully charged in 2 hours. Looks smart and business like. not much to say really, it just works.

My only advice is to read the product description and make sure it has what you want.

Targus TCG200 CityGear Messenger Laptop Bag / Case fits 17.3 inch Laptops XL, Black / Grey

5.0 out of 5 stars Large, with many pockets(enough for 2 laptops plus tablets) and well stiched and strong., 26 Jun. 2015
I bought this bag not expecting much for the price. I have a heavy ASUS gaming laptop 17.3 inch to carry around and thought this will fit nicely. It arrived well packed. It is elegant grey and black. The shoulder strap is adjustable and well stitched, strong. The pad is moveable, padded and the inside is non-slip.

When it is closed you have one large zipped pocket on the front and on the back you have a large pocket, meshed on the outside and padded on the inside, large enough to take books or magazines. It also has a carry handler.

On the inside you have a large pocket, large enough to take 17.3 laptop easy. It is adjustable and you can put a smaller laptop if you wish and have an extra pocket (using the divide). It is well padded and I believe it will protect the laptop.

There is also another similar size pocket, so you can put another large laptop or books, magazine, tablet etc. Still there is another padded pocket (the yellow one in the picture) which can take an Ipad or similar tablet. It easily took my Ipad mini, and it can take larger one.

there is a front divide, when you open it there are many pockets, large enough to take a mouse, a charger, and various bits and pieces such as business cards, pens and small notebook.

there is also a key hanger.

it is made of nylon, well stitched and feels strong. The bag itself is light and easy to carry on your shoulder or across.
I carry it to work everyday and I cannot really fault it for the money. 5 stars for what it can take.

Highly recommended if you are not in the market for a fancy bag (or name).

ASUS G751JL 17.3-Inch Notebook (Intel Core i7-4720HQ 2.6 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, Webcam, Nvidia Graphics, Windows 8.1)
Offered by Beauty's Planet

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome for gamers and general use., 21 Jun. 2015
So I never bought a laptop before, as I was not impressed by what is on offer. This time I needed one for work and general use. I am also an avid online gamer. I want a laptop to do work and play MMORPG online as well. I am a big guy so I need something big with nicely spaced keys and large enough for my fingers. This fits the bill precisely.

When I got it was shocked how big it was. I underestimated what is a 17.3 inch is. It is solidly built and you can feel it and see it, and the contrasting black and red colors are awesome. The surface has a velvety sooth feel to it. It comes with a cloth so you can clean it.

it boots from cold in less than 5 seconds. It is managed by Windows 8.1 64 bits. It is lean and fast.
I was using the machine upon opening the box in less than 30 minutes. It sets up Windows and configure itself. There were no bloated software. A couple which you can uninstall. Then I ran Asus install, which install various Asus and Intel utilities to monitor and tweak the laptop. Awesome.

Next I wanted to test the wireless. I have a virgin media 100Mb fibre optic feed.
I ran the test on www.speedtest.net. Now I am sitting 2 rooms away from where the router is. This beast managed the full throughput through wireless and did not even flinch, 100 Mbits every time at several times during the day. Very very impressed.

Next I loaded GW2 at full settings. Incredible. The graphics performed extremely well and the game play was very smooth indeed. As good as my desktop gaming machine with similar specs. Next I loaded ESOL and again full settings and it coped extremely well. You will not realize you are using a laptop.

After several hours of play, around 3 hours on battery, the machine was still cool. The only warm spots were near the vents at the back.

it is whisper quiet.
large keys and well spaced, makes it easy to type.
it has a button for STREAM and another for recording. nice. Three large directional keys which can be used with the FN key for multimedia.

There is a button key (republic of gamers logo) which launches the ASUS utility.

it also has 3 macro keys which can be programmed for games with Asus utilities.
The keys are well positioned with easy access, like page up and page down, end, home etc. with good feedback but not loud.
plenty of surface area to rest your wrists whilst typing. the mouse pad does not get in the way.

4 USB 3.0 with boost technology and I was able to achieve 109/90 MB/s read/write from an external USB3.0 hard disk.
It also has thunderbolt port, a HDMI port and a VGA ports. I haven't used these yet. Asus says you can connect up to 3 monitors.
The sound is much more than adequate (if you want it for music buy a HiFi system instead) for games and your ears :-). It is configurable with 5.1, quadphone, stereo etc. as soon as you plugin a headset etc.

it is whisper quiet, you can hear the hum but not intrusive at all.

it has a good web cam and works well with Skype and other software.
One of the USB port can also quick charge other devices, such as IPhone and Ipad.

This version I have has no SSD (I don't trust them yet :-) ) and only 8 GB RAM and it is performing extremely well (so you save a couple of hundreds quids for not buying the ssd version). with this money you can buy Asus gaming mouse and keyboard.

There is a PDF user manual which shows how-to change the HDD and install more ram. Just a couple of screws to undo at the bottom, nice one.

There is an Intel utility which monitors and shows every aspect of the laptop plus various tweaking which I did not try yet.

Next I loaded Oracle Virtual machine manager, so I can create VM for various Linux installation. I ran 3 of them and it coped extremely well, no drama.

The hard disk is partitioned into 2 separate partitions, one for the OS and programs and the rest for your data. Suits me just fine. This is how I will be using it anyway. I never put all my data on one partition. But this is a personal thing.

It comes with a month trial of McAfee anti virus and firewall etc. I subscribed for £20 for a year. It is worth protecting your laptop, specially if you play online games.

It also comes with Cyberlink with various utilities to burn, rip, iso, etc. to your DVD (this version does not have Blu-ray).
The screen is bright and clear and adjustable with vivid colors (You can actually adjust the screen using Asus utility, mine is set on vivid profile).

Nest I loaded photography software, all worked well with nice colors, good enough for my use as I am not a professional photographer or pixel peeper.

Overall, for the money and performance and for what I will be using it, it is sterling. 5 stars.

Update 27/06/2015

I have now installed an additional 8 GB of RAM from Crucial. there is only 1 screw to undo at the bottom. It reveals 2 extra memory slots and 2 HDD. it is a breeze to update, even if you are not technical. Just pull old one, and push new one.

I really recommend reading the manual (already install as emanual), it has a lot of advice and short cuts technique. Well worth reading it, it is tiny and straight to the point.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 19, 2015 9:58 PM BST

Terracotta Chicken Brick
Terracotta Chicken Brick
Offered by Weston Mill Pottery

5.0 out of 5 stars Your food will never taste the same again., 14 Jun. 2015
Fantastic, if you cook with this you will never go back to metal pans. Everything that is cooked with this is delicious and juicy. My roast, beef, lamb, pork, vegetables, and chicken are perfect every time.

It is bit heavy and can get very hot (as you would expect as it is an oven within an oven) so care must be taken taking in and out of the oven. I usually give it an extra hour to cook on Gas mark 5. let it cool down when finished and then clean it.

follow the instructions and you will be alright (like soak for 15-20 minutes before using it in the oven and DO NOT PREHEAT THE OVEN). Very easy to clean.

All in all I am very happy with this.

Casio Men's AW80V-5BV Brown Nylon Quartz Watch with Beige Dial
Casio Men's AW80V-5BV Brown Nylon Quartz Watch with Beige Dial
Offered by Europe Sellers Kings

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a very light smart watch. Well built and feels strong, 14 Jun. 2015
This is a very light smart watch. Well built and feels strong. the strap is nylon and leather and feels very strong. The watch has a light when pressed it lights at 3, 9, and 12 O'clock dials, also the hands glow in the dark so it is very easy to tell the time in the dark. it has a digital and analogue time keeping plus the usual month, day and year (up to 2099).

Other features include a telephone memo, where you can store a name and a telephone number. It is very handy to keep favourite numbers before taking out your smart phone etc to look it up or when your phone battery runs out :-)

It also features world clock, 30 cities and 29 time zones, very handy if you travel as you can keep the analogue (or digital) to one zone and the other to another zone. Plus 3 independent alarms, I haven't used these yet. It also feature a count down timer, handy when cooking or timing anything, plus a stopwatch.

the time is accurate to within +- 30 seconds a month, and the battery lasts for 10 years (less if you keep using the illumination). Water resistance up to 50M so it is good for swimming, rain, splashing and car washing.

All in all, a good watch for the price. Worth it.

Aperlite Flash for Canon | Professional DSLR Speedlite Flash for Canon Digital SLR Camera | Supports High-Speed Sync, TTL Modes & Wireless Master Control | YH-700C
Offered by Avantek UK

5.0 out of 5 stars There are some funny statements (due to translation) but very readable (more than ..., 30 May 2015
The first thin you notice when you get this unit is that the packaging is of high quality. That I did not expect. Taken it out and I was astonished to find that it very closely resembles the Canon 580EXII, I mean very closely, even the instruction manual. There are some funny statements (due to translation) but very readable (more than I can say for other products) and easy to understand. If you have Canon 580EXII you will feel at home, as the instructions and the operation are almost identical. which is good, meaning it does what 580EXII does, and considering the 580EXII is a couple of hundred pounds extra.

I have a Canon 60D and I bought this unit to be used as 2nd slave flash. So this is the first thing I tested. It worked extremely well in conjunction with 580EXII as a slave as well with the camera being the master. It fired every single time.

Same results with as a master.

On camera, it is very compatible and has all the functionality of 580EXII through the camera's menu.
the LCD is very clear and there is a backlight.
You also have external power pack connection and PC terminal.
It comes with a stand just like the 580EXII.
it also has a catch light panel and a diffuser which can be easily pulled out or pushed in.
It support TTL, E-TTL and E-TTL II for fine control over flash exposure.
It also support stroboscopic for modelling light mode.
Exposure compensation is supported and many many more functions, I just did not have time to go over all of them.

In a nutshell, a well built, with better English manual than many products and comprehensive support for the camera functions. Honestly, every function in 580EXII it is there in this unit

Worked extremely well with Canon 60D built-in wireless function.
It comes with a pouch, (nylon I think).
For £54, it is an excellent value for money, even if it does not last as long as the 580EXII (time will tell), still extremely good value for money.

5 stars because it is extremely good value for the functionality.

Seagate Expansion 3TB USB 3.0 Desktop 3.5 inch External Hard Drive for PC & Xbox One

5.0 out of 5 stars good looking, and very very very quiet, 28 Mar. 2015
Briefly, I am very impressed with this drive, good looking, and very very very quiet. Best of all it the OS (Windows 8.1 pro) puts it to sleep when it is not active. Alternatively you can use Seagate tools (Seagate Drive Settings, you can download more from their website) and you can change few settings including sleeping etc. So there is no worry if you leave it on it just goes to seelp after a while.

It can do 111 MB/s (mixed files) Read/Write. It is part of a mirror in Windows for backup.

It deserves 4 1/2 but there is no half.

Black and White Photography: A Basic Manual