Shop now Learn more Shop now Up to 50% off Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Amazon Fire TV Shop now Halloween Pets Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Learn more Shop now
Profile for ebbw > Reviews

Content by ebbw

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Tefal ActiFry Low Fat Fryer - 1 kg - White
Tefal ActiFry Low Fat Fryer - 1 kg - White
Offered by Luzern
Price: 120.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes great chips, but..., 4 Oct. 2015
This machine makes the best chips, but the build quality is awful. We've gone through 3 machines in 6 years and it's never used more than twice a week. So keep your receipt and consider buying an extended warranty as it's likely you'll need to replace it. Just ordered a Philips Airfry as a replacement. Never had any real faith in Philips products, but it comes with a two year guarantee, so we'll give it a go.

Beats by Dr. Dre Solo HD On-Ear Headphones - Monochromatic Red
Beats by Dr. Dre Solo HD On-Ear Headphones - Monochromatic Red
Price: 169.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Junk, 12 Sept. 2015
I was looking for a pair on on ear phones and opted for the award winning AKG's. I didn't find them that comfortable so I bought a pair of Beats..

Thirteen months later they are broken having been well looked after. I found a You Tube video showing how to repair the fault. I was born in the 1950's. The UK had a strong manufacturing base and the really cheap and nasty stuff made in those days always carried the label "Made in Hong Kong". When I dismantled the headphones I was really appalled by the poor quality of the materials and workmanship. As bad as anything I've ever seen. They spend more on the box than they have on the wiring which isn't satisfactory. The main cable is quite chunky and a replacement is 30, it all implies quality, but it's smoke a mirrors.

Comfort is fantastic and the sound quality good, so it a shame about the quality.

Acer Aspire CB3-111 11.6-inch Chromebook (White) - (Intel Celeron N2830 2.16GHz, 2GB RAM, 16GB eMMC, Integrated Graphics, Google Chrome)
Price: 162.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't fault it, 4 Jun. 2015
Fantastic bit of kit. I'm writing this review on a Samsung ATIV laptop which is also a decent machine. However it has the misfortune to run Windows 8.1. There is an issue with updating the screen brightness on Samsung laptops with the 8.1 upgrade, so have to keep going into the display monitor settings and selecting a different driver. This is time consuming and frustrating. It's typical of Microsoft.
Compare this with the Chromebook. Open the lid and it's straight onto the internet. There's no delay it's instantaneous. It was charged up yesterday morning, used throughout the day and in idle mode all night. There is 77% battery charge remaining.
The Google OS is querky (but there again so is every other OS). It's basically a thin client with a small amount of internal memory as it's expected that all tasks will be done on line. As most people are online most of the time this is fine. If you're not going to be this is not the operating system for you.
Google Docs works fine. It doesn't have the myriad options that Microsoft Office has, but who ever needs the thousands of options. It's got choice of font, bold and underline fonts etc which is all I've ever used.
Google Drive is fantastic. Stores everything to the cloud. I've got cloud storage with my internet provider and from several hardware providers. Drive is the easiest to use and if you need more memory it's the cheapest as well.
I recently paid 129 for my machine. I love Apple products, but their 11 inch screen machine was over 700 (although with significantly more memory and a far more sophisticated OS, so I'm not really comparing like with like). The build quality of the Acer is excellent and you've got to ask how do they do it for the money (it's advertised on Google's Chromebook site for 200). The price is what you'd expect to pay for an extended warranty with other manufacturers.
The screen isn't the greatest,but it's still pretty good as is the sound. I find the virtual keypads on tablets frustrating to use sometimes so prefer a real keyboard which the Acer has.
The ASUS 7 inch tablet I've just bought is sitting in my case redundant and my Windows machine has little use now. I've never used any computer so much. It's about the size of an A4 pad, it's light and easy to carry around with the benefit of a decent screen and keyboard.
All my Google app's including diary and address are automatically synced across the Google & Android platforms which is good.

He Who Dares: The Downing St Siege [DVD]
He Who Dares: The Downing St Siege [DVD]
Dvd ~ Simon Phillips
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 4.97

1.0 out of 5 stars Painful, 23 May 2015
An absolutely awful film with actors I haven't seen before, and am unlikely to see again. When you watch such a bad end product, you wonder how no one sense checked it or quality checked it. Don't waste your electricity watching it.

Fujifilm FinePix XP70 Camera - Blue (16.4MP, 5x Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD
Fujifilm FinePix XP70 Camera - Blue (16.4MP, 5x Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera., 5 May 2015
This is a fantastic camera, but you need to understand it's limitations.
The lens zooms is in the body not out the front of the camera which limits it's speed and quality.
Sea water is incredibly destructive. It ruins plastic seals and even a few grains of sand can break the seal.
whilst you may be in shallow water a wave breaking over you and the camera can weigh tons.
So there can be no guarantee it will keep working.
I've used mine in the sea regularly and it's been fine. Save your photo's first chance you get and rinse it off after every use.
Images are good not great, but well worth the money.

Sram Road Quickview Road Garmin GPS and Computer Mount, Quarter Turn and Twist Lock, 31.8 mm
Price: 12.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheaper than competitor mounts, but..., 12 April 2015
but still a lot of money for a piece of plastic. Easy to fit (if you've got the right screwdriver head). I guess it will fit on all handlebars. Half the price of the Garmin alternative but the quality is the same.

The Sopranos - The Complete Series [DVD] [2007]
The Sopranos - The Complete Series [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ James Gandolfini
Price: 44.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection, 1 April 2015
I guess one day a footballer as good as George Best will come along and there will be another Gareth Edwards. One day a show as good as the Sopranos will come along but its not going to happen any time soon.
This is gallows humour at its best. Its addictive in a way very little TV is.
I didn't get the ending first time around, but having just finished watching it again it makes sense.
If you haven't seen it yet, buy and enjoy. I envy you!

Dr. Marten's 1460 Original, Unisex-Adults' Boots
Dr. Marten's 1460 Original, Unisex-Adults' Boots
Price: Click here to see our price

2.0 out of 5 stars Very poor quality, 23 Dec. 2014
I bought my first pair of DM's over 40 years ago and have owned at least one pair ever since. The last pair I bought was the first pair that were not made in the UK. I've got a pair of UK made boots to compare them with. The UK boots are fantastic quality. The new pair have inferior leather which is badly cut and the manufacturing is not as good. Dr martens however still charge premier prices.
I grew up seeing "Made in the UK" and Union Jack stickers on lots of products and didn't really appreciate the quality it implied or the aims of the campaign.Its only when its gone you understand how good it was, how poor the alternative is and the liberties that manufactures are taking by selling inferior products at the old "made in the UK" prices.

Microsoft Windows 8.1 (Full Version)
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (Full Version)
Price: 82.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Crap, 9 Aug. 2014
Bought a laptop with Windows 8 installed. Absolutely awful layout (and much worse than the much criticised Vista that I had been using on my previous laptop).

On start up I kept getting t a request from Microsoft to update to their all singing all dancing 8.1. I clicked the tab and updated. The update managed to disable the screen brightness control function. Google'd the problem it's happened to lots of people on lots of brands of laptops.

Typical Microsoft, no fix from them, so now had to due a recovery on my machine and lose all the data.

The solution-buy a Mac!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 28, 2014 6:40 PM BST

Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1-inch - (White, Wi-Fi)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1-inch - (White, Wi-Fi)
Offered by eZee Trade
Price: 192.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Great product, but......., 9 Aug. 2014
This is a really good tablet and merits 5 stars. My issues relate to Samsung support for and marketing of the product. Before I bought it I had a few queries. I rang Samsung and got answers to all my questions. What I really wanted was the ability to use more than one screen at a time. I was told that was one of the features, but it's not. They've since listed this feature on the main Samsung UK website, knowing it's untrue. I've spoken to them and they've told me it can't be done, but they keep advertising it (it's available on one of the smaller screen versions).

I bought the product to replace a Blackberry 7 inch tablet. This was a clever little product limited by a lack of 3rd party apps. Their customer support was brilliant and way better than Samsung's. Samsung's answer to every question is to refer me back to the website.

Lastly, and it's not Samsung's fault is the issue of Microsoft compability. Microsoft having been at war with Apple for years have now decided to love Apple (if you can't beat them join them), so you can run Outlook on an Apple tablet but not on Android.

So, it's a five star product let down by their customer support and poor advertising.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4