Profile for Tony G > Reviews

Content by Tony G

Tony G

PHENBURN® 375 Slimming Pills with 37.5mg Phentrimine® | Weight Loss Diet Aid (60 Tablets)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good little worker!, 20 Feb 2013
I don't usually buy "fat burners", as I feel they probably don't work unless you do - you need to eat sensibly and exercise, and you WILL lose weight!

However, I thought I would give Phentrim 375 a go, as these guys give an honest appraisal of their tablets, unlike some of the more outlandish claims of some of their rivals.

I was delighted that I didn't experience any side-effects! And, certainly, over the first few days I shifted weight easily, and steadily. And I have no concerns about using Phentrim 375, as I've checked the ingredient list, and the tablets contain natural substances: vitamins B6 and B12, and a host of other goodies!
I have no qualms about recommending these tablets, to you!

The Search for Truth: Life changing answers to mankind's toughest questions
The Search for Truth: Life changing answers to mankind's toughest questions
by Paul A. Elwell

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought-provoking, 12 Feb 2013
With Christianity, and Christian values, under attack from numerous protagonists, it's probably time that Christians started to defend their Faith, as strongly as the Champions of other Faiths do. Author Paul A. Elwell does just that, in this short, but well-researched book.

Taking care to present his views in a well-ordered manner, Paul offers the reader a series of challenging solutions to the ever-present problems by which Christianity seems to be besieged. Drawing some inspiration from the satirical poem, "Creed" by British journalist, Steve Turner; and some of Ravi Zacharias' better-known works, Mr. Elwell shows that there are, indeed, people prepared to stand up for traditional Christian beliefs.

Using a sequence of short chapters, intended to flow from one topic to the next, the author shows us the nature of the attacks on Christianity, and counters their arguments with research, and appropriate quotes from the Bible. There are also many references to the breakdown of the family, and society as a whole, and answers to that most important question - "Why?"

Carefully written, well-presented and with clear, supported arguments "The Search..." draws upon Mr Elwell's own studies in Philosophy and Theology, as well as historical and contemporary sources.

An interesting read!

Rome: The Eagle Of The Twelfth: Rome 3
Rome: The Eagle Of The Twelfth: Rome 3
by M C Scott

5.0 out of 5 stars Shame and Redemption, 20 Jan 2013
In "Rome: The Eagle of the Twelfth", we are transported to that Legion's participation in the War in Parthia, and subsequent action in Jerusalem. The Twelfth Legion has to endure shame, and near-obliteration, before finding redemption through the actions of the author's principal characters.

Authenticity seems to drip from every page of M. C. Scott's novel; whether it is the superstitions of the common soldier, the description of the local geography or the tactics and training of this incredibly well-drilled fighting machine. And it's so difficult to review such a story and refrain from including "spoilers" - but they are called that for a reason, and I would hate to lessen your enjoyment of this by tipping you off to the action, now!

This book centres around Demalion of Macedon, his comrades, and their immediate leaders - some loved and some loathed, and, as with many armies throughout history, the effects their decisions have on the campaigns being waged. The action unfolds in several, different and distinct phases; each one with a different feel and atmosphere, and each one pivotal to the development of the plot.

I cannot emphasise strongly enough what a good story this is; my favourite periods of history are the myths and legends of Greece; and the empire-building of Rome, and this latter is not only well catered for, here, but actually adds to my knowledge - and, therefore, my enjoyment of the tale. I have added the author's other novels to my wishlist - can't give any higher praise than that?

Anyone who calls one of their leading characters "Pantera" is ok in my book - and in his!

Richard Nixon: A Very Brief History
Richard Nixon: A Very Brief History

4.0 out of 5 stars What if Watergate hadn't happened?, 29 Dec 2012
Another hugely enjoyable and surprising instalment in this series, this one focusing on the very enigmatic 37th US President - "Tricky Dick" Nixon!The jury is out on whether he was really bad, or had the potential to have achieved greatness - I never realized how much he had accomplished. Good read!

The Crusades: A Very Brief History
The Crusades: A Very Brief History

5.0 out of 5 stars a Very Brief Review, 16 Dec 2012
Delightful! Surprisingly in-depth and full of content, including the politics of the Crusades, this e-book (and the rest of the series) are now on my wish list. Ideal tasters for if you're uncertain whether you would like the topic, this series could save you hours of frustrated reading!

The King's Spy (Thomas Hill Trilogy 1)
The King's Spy (Thomas Hill Trilogy 1)
by Andrew Swanston

4.0 out of 5 stars UnCivil War, 19 Nov 2012
In "The King's Spy", Andrew Swanston has crafted an, almost, un-put-downable story!
It is the adventure of Thomas Hill, an unassuming man who reluctantly assumes the mantle of Cryptographer to King Charles I, during the English Civil War, after Hill's predecessor and former Mentor is found dead in mysterious circumstances, in an Oxford that bears no resemblance to its modern equivalent.

The Civil War is not a period of History of which I am fond, and, consequently, haven't read much about, so I approached this novel with some trepidation. I'm glad to say this proved to be uncalled for, as I found the story-telling fluid, intriguing and interesting, even though it painted a picture of some squalor and deprivation; and not a little uncomfortable in its portrayal of human behaviour, forced to endure such unnatural hardships.
I knew some of the mechanisms of codes and cryptography before I began this book, and I feel that - probably my single criticism - these are introduced to the reader a little too quickly, and in a slightly contrived fashion. Nevertheless, this is an important factor in the story, and, as the narrative developed, it swept me along to what, I hoped, would be a successful, and crucial, outcome.

Throughout the book, the author has managed to create a handful of main characters which are totally believable, and a strong support cast of extras, in which I include Oxford itself. I have no reason to doubt the accuracy of either the description of the City, or the historical events, as they unfold to flesh out the author's story.
A hugely enjoyable read.

Hereward: The Devil's Army (Hereward 2)
Hereward: The Devil's Army (Hereward 2)
by James Wilde

5.0 out of 5 stars Hereward against the Conquerors, 25 Sep 2012
I haven't yet read this author's debut novel, "Hereward" - but I shall! This latest book has everything I expect from this genre of fiction.

Set in a period about which there seems to have been little cinematic dramatisation - the Norman Conquest, after the Battle of Hastings - Hereward is the Man from Mercia who leads a guerrilla action against the cold-hearted Normans, who would rather destroy England than let anyone take it back from them. I remember there being a TV series in the 60's, but I can't bring to mind any major films set around this period, or hero? There ought to be!

Based in the brooding Fenlands of Lincolnshire, Cambridgeshire and extending into Norfolk - a much darker, more treacherous and forbidding area than in modern times - Hereward tries to assemble an army with which to repel the Normans and reclaim his land. A task with a surprising amount of intrigue, which proves to be necessary, against an equally-cunning foe. I have been pleasantly surprised at the number of twists the author has managed to weave into his story - both major and minor ones and, I have to confess, I never saw two of them developing until they had happened!

Everything about this story feels right; the action and the dialogue; the religion and the superstition; the plotting and double-crossing; the description of towns and villages, and the eerie unfriendliness of the swamps and bogs of the Fens. Historically, I have no doubt it is accurate, and there is a good pace to the development of the narrative. A strong and believable cast of supporting characters, and some idea of what chivalry means, even between sworn foes, makes for an excellent read.

I feel I owe it to you, the prospective next reader, to give no hints, and no spoilers, despite wanting to say "...and you WON'T believe what happens on page..."! The novel IS that good! I shall buy this author's first book, and I'm assuming (and hoping) that there will be a third tale, because I, vaguely, know there is another chapter of this history still to come?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 26, 2014 9:30 AM GMT

Hellfire
Hellfire
by James Holland

4.0 out of 5 stars Hellfire - but not Hellish!, 13 Aug 2012
This review is from: Hellfire (Paperback)
James Holland's pedigree as Military Historian, and newspaper/magazine contributor, and author of five historical works is obvious in this well-crafted, historically-accurate World War Two adventure.

Holland realized there was no Sharpe, or Hornblower, for the Second World War so created Jack Tanner. Tanner doesn't feature as heavily in his own tale as much as Sharpe or Hornblower feature in theirs, but the strength of the supporting cast, characters like Alex Vaughan, and Stan Sykes, allow the tale to develop flawlessly.

I like Tanner, as a hero; he is, perhaps, a little more vulnerable than others, gets wounded, and makes mistakes along the way. But, his decision-making under fire is exemplary; and he hands out a particularly painful lesson in manners to one of the Officer class, who looked down on the "oiks" - even an "oik" whose bravery earned him a battlefield promotion.

We may be aware that the privileged class made poor and tragic decisions, throughout the history of warfare - never more so than in some aspects of the First World War; we may be less aware that those disastrous decisions continued to be made in this campaign, too?

Jack Tanner's story unfolds in the North Africa of Rommel and Montgomery, and mainly in Cairo, which almost develops a character of its own, being hot and sweaty, and a little grubby, but, at the same time, beautiful and vibrant. The espionage part of the story, to me, doesn't quite convey the importance or urgency of what's being done, and why the Allies need to stop it. But the soldiering and battle descriptions certainly convey their story, from the seemingly endless and banal waiting around for right conditions to appear; to the noise and suddenness of battle, and the confusion caused by the lack of visibility.

Comradeship, acts of daring and bravery, and, sometimes, acts of near-lunacy, all have to feature in stories of this kind; as does compassion, and the normality of relationships by which we can assess the strength of the characters. All these are written with credibility, and I can pay no greater compliment to the author, than to say I will read another of his books.