Profile for Steve Jones > Reviews

Content by Steve Jones

Steve Jones "stevej" (Fairford, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Mirror Sight (Green Rider)
Mirror Sight (Green Rider)
by Kristen Britain

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite of the series so far, 1 Jan. 2016
I've loved all the books in the series, but I personally think this is the best so far. Without giving anything away, it takes it to new levels with lots of original ideas.

SPRINGER SPANIEL Whisky Tumbler Glasses (Boxed Pair) *Dog Gift*
SPRINGER SPANIEL Whisky Tumbler Glasses (Boxed Pair) *Dog Gift*
Offered by Northumbria Collection

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice pair of glasses, 1 May 2014
Bought as a wedding present for 2 lovers of Springer Spaniels. The box is very plain and I felt that as a gift it would have benefited from slightly 'posher' packaging.

Pro WPF 4.5 in C#: Windows Presentation Foundation in .NET 4.5
Pro WPF 4.5 in C#: Windows Presentation Foundation in .NET 4.5

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent reference, 4 Mar. 2014
I bought this book after having programmed WPF and C# for a few years so use it as a reference, digging into specific chapters as I need them, but I feel it would be a good learning book as well. The examples don't get bogged down in complexity or assume particular patterns like MVVM, which is refreshing.

As an aside, after buying it I noticed how many books my wife (a web developer) and I have by Matthew MacDonald, which has to be a good recommendation!

IVSO Slim Smart Cover Case for Dell Venue 8 Pro (Windows 8.1) Tablet - NOT fit Dell Venue 8 (Android 4.2) Tablet (Red)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, 4 Mar. 2014
This is a nice, simple and very slim case - well made and a good fit for the tablet. I've had it for several weeks now, and have always use the stand at the back so the tablet tilts up at a shallow angle, which is perfect for me. Nice to have the choice of colours - I own too many tablets (I'm a software developer) so it helps to tell them apart!

Programming Windows Store Apps with C#
Programming Windows Store Apps with C#

3.0 out of 5 stars An average book on Extreme MVVM, 4 Mar. 2014
When I saw this book I bought it immediately, having enjoyed Matt's writing before, and I was looking forward to his take on Windows Store apps. Unfortunately, this is a book which should be titled 'Extreme MVVM (using Windows 8)', and I have given it 3 stars assuming that title. If you are looking for a book which is really about all the great things you can do in a Windows Store application and not devoted to a particular trendy pattern, then this is not the book to buy.

MVVM is a great pattern for some kinds of application, but it suffers from 2 major problems – it requires huge amounts of ‘plumbing’ to be written, and it doesn't really fit a lot of application types, particularly those with multiple interacting windows which aren't just forms. The authors demonstrate these problems very well.

We are told how tedious it is writing code to move data between the model and the screen in a non-MVVM way, with a couple of lines of example code which is actually wrong. Doing it that way would involve 8 lines of code in their first chapter example, so we are shown how much better the MVVM way is, only involving a few hundred lines of code, 2 assemblies, multiple interfaces, classes, extension methods, lambdas and a 3rd party library etc to achieve the same thing. I’d hate to have to try to maintain something like that.

But my big problem with the book is that the actual Windows 8 details get lost along the way. What’s this PreviousExcecutionState all about? How do frames actually work for navigation? I found myself trying to find things in the example code, but it’s just too complicated to follow (which assembly, which class, which interface, or is it in one of his extension methods?). For a trivial example which could have been written in VB3 in 20 minutes.

Who is the book for? The authors claim it is targeted at web developers moving to desktop/tablet apps. But such people don’t know XAML, and the authors include lots of complex XAML without serious explanation. If you don’t understand SoC, IoC etc you’ll be lost, whereas if you do then like me you’ll already know all the MVVM stuff and be looking for the Windows Store application specifics. And to be honest it’s not great MVVM, using VB3 style MessageDialogs rather than exploiting CanExecute and validation, and there are far too many typos which spoil your concentration while trying to follow the complexity (even simple things like mixing us and use).

To be fair, the opening discussion on .Net vs WinRT, XAML vs HTML5 is excellent. Had the book carried on like that I’d have been looking for a 6th star for this review.

Death of the PC: The authoritative guide to the decline of the PC and the rise of post-PC devices

5.0 out of 5 stars Very worthwhile, 9 Dec. 2013
Early in the book the author explains how he bought an iPad and wasn't sure why, but it turned out to be tremendously important. The same can be said of this book, I bought it as a 'techie' and now feel that I understand the significance of post-PC so much more. Essential reading for people like me who have worked with PCs from their beginnings.

For The Dead Men
For The Dead Men

5.0 out of 5 stars Lucy Ward at her best, 20 Jun. 2013
This review is from: For The Dead Men (MP3 Download)
See her live if you can, but this is a great example of what to expect from her. Looking forward to her new album being released.

Top 100 Tips for Windows 8
Top 100 Tips for Windows 8

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 16 April 2013
Lots of good tips, some I knew but many I didn't. A good purchase for a very small amount of money.

101 Essential Android Tips & Tricks
101 Essential Android Tips & Tricks

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth buying, 16 April 2013
I bought this after buying Tim Tim Sievers' Top 100 Tips for Windows 8. Unfortunately the similar title didn't imply similar content. The set of tips seem fairly random, some require knowledge of other things which were a bit obscure but assumed, and I gained almost nothing from it. Also it should make clear it is for Android phones, not tablets.

The Troll Trap (Smelly Trolls Book 1)
The Troll Trap (Smelly Trolls Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for kids of all ages, 7 April 2013
OK, I'm a bit of a fraud here as this is a children's book and I'm rather older than the target age group. I bought it as I have liked her writing before, and when i got a recommendation I followed it, saw it was for children but bought it anyway just for interest. I'm very glad I did as I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's not one of those books that has been written with a dual audience in mind, it's genuinely aimed at children, but anyone could enjoy it. It's just a great story, very well written.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2013 11:00 PM BST