Profile for Oasisboy > Reviews

Content by Oasisboy

Oasisboy (Lantana, Texas , U.S.A.)

This Is Music: The Singles 92-98
This Is Music: The Singles 92-98

4.0 out of 5 stars Only for new Verve fans! Where are the b-sides - live songs?, 17 Nov. 2004
This album is probably only appealing to those new fans or to those casual fans who enjoyed Urban Hymns.
This could have been so much better for those of us who already own their albums. I mean they could have released a limited edition version with a bonus cd with b-sides (such as the Cure) or a cd with live tracks (such as Blur).
This album is suppose to include some b-sides and to my surprise "Never wanna see you cry" is not included, which in my opinion is probably the best B-side the Verve ever made. This song sounds very similar to Drugs Don't Work (including lots of strings arrangements) or they could have included Bitter Sweet Symphony remixed by James Lavelle who creates a totally new "trip hop" song (think about mixing Portishead with the Verve).
Instead of these great B-sides we get 2 "new tracks" (This could be my moment and Monte Carlo) which honestly sound like demos that dont go anywhere. I was expecting new production on these songs (string arrangements or new vocals) but sadly nothing new was added to these "demos" from the Urban Hymns sessions.
How about including a cd with live songs? I would love to have live versions of Bitter Sweet Symphony, History, Drugs Don't Work, etc. This would have been amazing for those hardcore Verve fans like me. I am still hoping that one day we will get a proper live cd or DVD. My suggestion would be their last concert in their hometown of Wigan, England ... this concert was amazing...
Like I said before, this cd is to give an introduction to those new fans of the Verve. I just hope one day they reunite and create another masterpiece as Urban Hymns. Until then, enjoy the legacy of the Verve 92-98.