Profile for Ed-dean > Reviews

Content by Ed-dean

Ed-dean "eddean7" (China (but from UK))

Page: 1 | 2
Balance 005 (Mixed By James Holden)
Balance 005 (Mixed By James Holden)

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended if you like heady, bouncy progressive tech, 7 Jun. 2016
I've been returning to CD 1 of this mix again and again for about 8 or 10 years now and it's still absolutely brilliant - it really doesn't even sound very dated. It moves along at a perfect pace, is very melodic, yet also very powerful with a great groove. Highly highly recommended if you like this type of heady, bouncy progressive tech - I certainly do!

Weird Sister [VINYL]
Weird Sister [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Joanna awesome, 11 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Weird Sister [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I love this album - catchy, melodic, rocking, thrashing pop songs - what could be better than that! Highly recommended if you that's your thing

Twins
Twins

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for sure, 14 May 2013
This review is from: Twins (Audio CD)
I bought this based only the reviews I'd read and I'm not disappointed - garage punk: crunchy guitars, beaten up drums, feedback, some slow tracks / some fast ones (all heavy) - and catchy riffs thrown about too - catchy, and recommended.

Angles
Angles

5.0 out of 5 stars The best album since their debut, 14 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Angles (Audio CD)
'Is This It' is hard for any band to beat. The Strokes' second and third albums are good albums, and they both have some great tracks.

'Angles' is better than albums 2 and 3 though, and if you like the Strokes then you should buy this one for sure.

Some great tracks, catchy and melodic stuff. Basically it's vintage Strokes all over.

Intimacy
Intimacy

4.0 out of 5 stars Good album, 9 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Intimacy (Audio CD)
There are some lovely tracks on here (Biko, Letter to my son) and some great rock tracks too in an old skool bloc party way. Overall a good album and if you're a fan of the band this is up there with everything they do so well. The electro-pop numbers may not suit everyone, but let's be honest it would be dull if a band's total output didn't change or experiment with new areas.

Interpol
Interpol

5.0 out of 5 stars yeah ... it's good, 15 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Interpol (Audio CD)
I've read all the reviews and listened to the album many times before passing judgement. Like many other reviewers I really *wanted* this album to be good and hoped that it would be. I love the first two and thought OLTA was great though not amazing.

I'm pleased I waited before reviewing and pleased I bought the album - it's good.

There are some lovely tracks here and, as others have noted, the whole hangs together well. It's slightly addictive and there are many of the different tunes that have become stuck in my head at different times. Interestingly I've also gone back and listened to OLTA again too - and realize now that it's actually better than I thought at the time (some great tracks on there too).

Interpol are Interpol - they do what they do - and while the two most recent albums probably don't match the energy, the enthusiasm and the excitement of the first two, they do what they do very well - and it's great to hear them still on form.

Highlights are The Undoing, Summer Well and All of the Ways.

This easily stands up alongside the previous two albums - put all three on shuffle together and you'll see what I mean. For me, this is the sign of a great band - they can grow and develop (which they have) but still sound like who they are.

I debated about whether to give this 4 or 5 stars - and as the days passed I've moved towards a 5 - it's another great Interpol album - thank you guys!!

Global Underground GU31: Taipei (Limited Edition)
Global Underground GU31: Taipei (Limited Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Still good after all these years, 9 Feb. 2010
This is one of the best mixes I own - and it's a great one to return to time and again.

Disc 1 is more housey but still pretty driving and always maintaining a great groove.

Disc 2 is fantastically dark, solidly progressive and pretty tough in parts - this seems not to be so popular with some of the other reviewers but for me I'd take Disc 2 over Disc 1 any day (and Disc 1 is up there).

In my view this is a better collection than either of the GU deep dish mixes - which are very good if a little light. This one doesn't pull many punches. Highly recommended.

Transitions Vol.3
Transitions Vol.3
Offered by TwoRedSevens

5.0 out of 5 stars all 3 are ace, 19 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Transitions Vol.3 (Audio CD)
I have all 3 and keep coming back to them all - I can't even really distinguish between them - they all have their moments, and the sections between those moments are great too

Pills 'N' Thrills And Bellyaches
Pills 'N' Thrills And Bellyaches

5.0 out of 5 stars great - even after more than 15 years, 4 Dec. 2007
i listened to this to death when it came out - and i dont' think i've heard it since - it 100% stands the test of time - great to have it back in my life!

Eyes Open
Eyes Open
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars seriously...?, 25 Sept. 2006
This review is from: Eyes Open (Audio CD)
not my thing - i read the glowing reviews here and was expecting something a little more exciting. This is really middle of the road and not a patch on the more interesting bands out there.

Nope this isn't a particularly helpful review - but it's aimed at those who like a bit of boundary pushing - Radiohead, Interpol, Placebo this ain't - it's way too formulaic and predictable.

Page: 1 | 2