Profile for sam410 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Sew!
Sew!

3.0 out of 5 stars ok ish, 3 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Sew! (Paperback)
Like the stitch book this is more old fashioned than vintage, who wants to make a peg bag these days? its very school sewing project. I havnt been able to make the bag as you need a sewing machine and the book sold itself as being for complete beginners, which i am and i dont own one. probably worth buying for the project if you have a machine and it looks good on your book case, i must stop buying this cath kidson series as they have all been dissapointing.

Cath Kidston Stitch!
Cath Kidston Stitch!

3.0 out of 5 stars An Ok book, 3 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Cath Kidston Stitch! (Paperback)
I do love Cath Kidson things but they are always a little expensive to buy, i thought this would be good to make my own things but it was a little dissapointing, the projects in this book are just a little bit to twee for me, i mean who wants to make a peg bag these days? they are very remenisant of school sewing projects and i love vintage but it needs to be more contemporary for me. if your after traditional this is for you. the instructions are clear 'ish' and the projects are ok, it probably is worth buying for the purse and the 'look good' factor on your book shelf, but i've had mine 6month and never used it (except to make the purse)

The Quilter's Bible - How to make a quilt and much more
The Quilter's Bible - How to make a quilt and much more
by Linda Clements

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE this book., 3 Nov. 2011
this is by far the best stitching/quilting book i have ever bought, it tells you in plain none 'expert sewer' language how do start, progress, where to find out more info, tools to buy, and everything you could need to know about quilting, the patterns aren't the best but the book is a great basic for technique, and doesnt sell its self on its patterns anyway, there are other books for this. The projects on how to get started and practice your new techiques are also very good, shame they dont tell you how to make the cover project though. I have managed to easily make my 1st english paper piece (hexagon) quilt with my own design and put a border on it using this book alone, a must buy for a first or old timer.

Why I Love My Daddy
Why I Love My Daddy
by Daniel Howarth

5.0 out of 5 stars so so cute, 3 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Why I Love My Daddy (Paperback)
this book is a follow on from the I love my mummy book and is really the same but with dad, and it includes things dads do more like fixing things (I guess its quite steryotypical but we dont mind that) and they saying are things children say, we love to floow reading the book with the game, i love my daddy becasuse he... and i love my son because he... its great to get your kids thinking about the reasons we love each other and our unique qualities and differences.

Oxford Reading Tree Read With Biff, Chip, and Kipper Flashcards: Alphabet Games
Oxford Reading Tree Read With Biff, Chip, and Kipper Flashcards: Alphabet Games
by Roderick Hunt
Edition: Cards

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 3 Nov. 2011
The biff chip and kipper are classic reading sets and you get fantastic quality and value for money, which you would expect from such an established institution. the games in the set are great and they really help children to progress with their reading skills whilst having fun. we use them to play games with rather than as flash cards and sitting down and learning from memory, the set comes with loads of ideas on games to play. we love these in our house.

Learn at Home:Fun with Phonics: Letters and Sounds Pack (Watch and Learn)
Learn at Home:Fun with Phonics: Letters and Sounds Pack (Watch and Learn)
by unknown

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 3 Nov. 2011
I love this bbc phonics set, my son learnet all his phonics very quickly, and he loves watching it, it flows lovely and all the correct methods are used to teach phonics such as saying t instead of t-u, i found it usful as well as i didnt know all of the sounds such as ch and sh and the dvd has helped me, so now we can create words ourselves and learn to start to read. the only problem i have with it is it teaches in the sat-pin method and at no point does it make reference to phonics in the context of the alphabet, which is quite a problem for us now as my son thinks the alphabet starts with a sssss, and explaining it is complicated, even the free poster has the sounds in the sat-pin order rather than the alphabet. its a shame.

Learn at Home:Fun with Phonics: Reading Pack (Watch and Learn)
Learn at Home:Fun with Phonics: Reading Pack (Watch and Learn)
by VARIOUS

4.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, 3 Nov. 2011
I bought this bbc reading dvd and book set after purchasing the bbc phonics set for my 2 year old. I have been slighly dissapointed in the set, the books are great but the dvd doesnt actually teach a child to read, nor does it aid parents in encouraging them to use the correct methods to do this, and it doesnt flow as nicly on from the phonics set as I would have liked (the phonics set is great). The dvd seems very 'bitty' and doesnt really focus on the mechanisms required to read, my son can read the books in the set (hes now 3) but more from memory than because he has learnt to read, more focus need to be placed on the mechanisms of reading rather than memory, i know that the method used by the bbc is the phonics and sounding out method but it doesnt come accross in the dvd book set as it should, i cant help thinking there are some resources that are missing and it would be great if the bbc put a whole set together so we could teach our children how to read at home before they started school, some children are just ready to do this when they are 3. I'd still reccommend it as a buy as the price is good and kids love watching tv and i would rather he watched this than hours of cbbc.

Patch!
Patch!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Very Good, 20 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Patch! (Paperback)
I am very dissapointed in this cath kidson book, i have sew and stitch and they are ok, but this was dissapointing, the patterns and fabrics are more old and stuffy than vintage and the directions arent complete if you are a complete beginner to patch work, i've only been patching a few months, but this is awful stuff, there are so many good books out there with modern and vinage designs, this book offers neither! look at it a book shop if you are unsure of buying. its the only book i have bought that i wish i had returned, and i would have but the bag probably is worth keeping and return postage puts me off. be cautious buying this book!!!!

Why I Love My Mummy (Gift Book)
Why I Love My Mummy (Gift Book)
by Daniel Howarth

5.0 out of 5 stars what a great book., 27 Sept. 2011
My son and I love this book, we have also created this game where he says I love my mummy because.... and answers then I say I love my son because... and answer, ifyou like the five love languages of children this is a great way to affirm you children with words, and make your children realise how much you love them. I love my daddy is good also.

Modern India
Modern India

1.0 out of 5 stars i hate my kindle!, 27 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Modern India (Kindle Edition)
I'm sure this book is fine but I just can not read it on my kindle, I'm a book lover!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7