Profile for Donna G > Reviews

Bob Martin Double Action Spot On Small to Medium Dogs
Bob Martin Double Action Spot On Small to Medium Dogs
Offered by buy4pets

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 16 May 2014
Finally rid of a bad bout of fleas which hit our two hairy dogs mid winter. It took about a month or so for them to give up the fight. The fleas seemed completely resistant to Frontline, which I have used for many years. I tried this product as someone told me they have the same active ingredient as Advantage. They say that it is necessary to reapply every 4 weeks to a month which is more often than I'm used to, which is why no 5 stars. Pretty pleased overall.
Good value, good service from seller. Just about to buy some more

Gilgamesh
Gilgamesh

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't be put off by the name..., 4 May 2012
This review is from: Gilgamesh (MP3 Download)
First heard "Time to Wander" on Made in Chelsea the other night - before you poo poo me, the sound track to all three series isn't half bad! Adele, Hurts and Groove Armada all figure.

Have only downloaded the above plus "Sight of a Tear" so far but really like the sound. If undecided, think Empire of the Sun or Temper Trap. These Aussie bands have pumped out some good stuff over the last couple of years.

Although I am not perhaps fully qualified to comment, if you like easy listening a la mode - go for it.

Lovesong
Lovesong

5.0 out of 5 stars Covertastic, 19 Mar 2012
This review is from: Lovesong (MP3 Download)
I remember the 80's very well, everyone I knew was into The Cure. I suppose I thought they were OK - Goths in lipstick with some catchy tunes. I also thought it was adolescent angst fodder to a certain extent. I never really appreciated Robert Smith's song writing brilliance until I heard Adele's version of Lovesong.
The original was fairly upbeat and I admit it passed me by at the time. This version is very slow with great production so you hear each word and get the meaning - full force.

It is very simple but simply magical all the same. I've heard all the other songs on "21" and they are excellent. This one, however, is my favourite by far. Hope you enjoy it too. Adele, our new national treasure.

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2 [DVD] [2011]
Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2 [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Daniel Radcliffe
Offered by Discs4all

3.0 out of 5 stars Why did they rush a masterpiece?, 25 July 2011
If you haven't seen the film yet or read the final book, DON'T READ THIS as there may be "spoilers" but I will try to be careful. Have downgraded from 4 to 3 as I've now watched it on Blu-Ray. Comes out a bit dark on the screen in places and you can barely see what's happening.

This review is for those who have happily devoured every word of every book and are wondering if they can bear to see if the final film has kept the faith...

The film starts at Shell Cottage with the interrogations of Griphook and Ollivander and moves swiftly onto the break in at Gringotts. HBC's portrayal of Hermione in the guise of Bellatrix is spot on as are the scenes in the depths of the wizard bank. In my view the dragon scene almost steals the show from the final battle. Visually awesome and true to the text.

We then head into Hogsmeade and the first meeting with Aberforth Dumbledore. In my opinion this is a bit rushed - no sooner have they had a bit of butterbeer and cake and they are off through the Ariana's painting. It comes across as if Aberforth is only midly miffed and a bit jealous of his "precious" brother Albus, despite the fact that some of the dialogue is taken directly from the page.
The film does not go as far as to paint the tragic events of the Dumbledore family history and the involvement of Grindelwald. This is perhaps because the first part didn't actually go there and they were unable to catch up - so to speak. Pity, because additions for the sake of a bit of CGI were unnecessary.

Moving into the room of requirement, we are a bit closer to the book for a while. As others have said Maggie Smith's Minerva McGonagall is excellent as usual and she rallies the "protectors of Hogwarts" like an old hand.

It is after the preliminary battle that "the twist" unfolds. You will not be disappointed! What can I say - the pensieve scenes are breathtaking.

The Dark Forest is on the money.

Kings Cross is, again, rushed. The problem is, as I have said before, that the book delves into Dumbledore's past, his flaws and his resulting humility. This portrayal is a bit matter of fact to be honest. Dare I say, although undeniably a brilliant actor, it is obvious that, Gambon still hasn't read the books and perhaps the director hasn't told him the story?

The final battle is good and includes Neville's hefty contribution, the Malfoy's epiphany, Molly Weasley's revenge, alongside acromantula and giant action in equal measure.

The denouement may leave die-hard fans wanting vis a vis the duel and the "Deathstick" as will the abscence of a second visit to the Headmaster's office for certain revelations.
And finally, no, I didn't laugh at the Hogwarts Express scene as some have.

Despite the criticisms I have made, I still think this movie is very entertaining.

I will still avidly watch the deleted scenes on the DVD when it comes out. The reason being that perhaps I'm not clever enough to simply accept the several veiled suggestions towards aspects of the original plot line. I wanted all the loose ends tied up as they were in the book. I wanted to know where the Peverall lineage ends, why Dumbledore became the man he was, and have it confirmed that the strongest power in the world is love.
Otherwise would have given it a 5 star rating - well if I could actually see it on my TV despite having the brightness on max perhaps...?

Harry Potter And The  Deathly Hallows Part 1 [DVD]
Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel Radcliffe
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars At Last!, 9 Dec 2010
This one is for lovers of the books - not "non fans" or smug critics who do not appreciate the genius of JK Rowling or the original target audience she was aiming to reach with her books i.e 11 to 18 year olds. Or for those who harp on about how it is impossible to recreate the books as the media of film is so different - duhhh. With the money Warner's are making - anything is possible and thankfully this has come to pass.....

I think I have been to the cinema about 3 times in the last 10 years, but had to see this one. I was prepared to be a bit dissapointed, as I have been from Prisoner onwards. However this film is very close to the book, even going so far as to mop up plotlines missed or skirted around in the other films.
The tone of the movie is set from the outset, with poignant scenes of Hermione and Harry leaving their family homes never to return. Didn't even mind that they missed out Dudley's epiphany with regard to Harry.
The escape scene was comedic then epic in equal measure.
The wedding at the Burrow was rushed but all the important parts were there.
Criticism has been levelled at the long shots of the British countryside during the camping phase. I think that people who poo-poo these are missing the point - they set the tone of the character's isolation and separation from the rest of their world. Plus, what an advert for British tourism!
The finding of the Sword of Gryffindor and the visit to Godric's Hollow were spot on. The capture by the snatchers and the scenes at the Malfoy's manor were brilliant, thanks in no small part, to Helena Bonham-Carters joyously spiteful portrayal of Bellatrix. I'm also so glad they included Dobby this time as he has been a key character that was badly missed from previous efforts.

This film takes us as far as the arrival at Shell Cottage and of the theft of Dumbledore's wand by Voldermort. Assumedly, the next film will kick off with the break in of the Lestrange vault and the escape from Gringotts by dragon.

If the makers have given the same care and attention to the final film - I absolutely cannot wait!
Comment Comments (12) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 28, 2012 4:39 AM GMT

Wired-up HDMI to HDMI Gold Plated Connectors 1.8m Cable v1.3A
Wired-up HDMI to HDMI Gold Plated Connectors 1.8m Cable v1.3A
Offered by Importer520(TM)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, 29 Sep 2010
My first experience of using an HDMI cable. Very simple - just like a big USB. I was sceptical that his would work because of the rock bottom price, but it works a treat. Much improved sound and vision quality from my lad's Xbox. Very happy - thanks to supplier - memorycapital.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely little phone case, 23 Sep 2010
Fits my LG Pop perfectly. Really compact, stylish and excellent value. My work colleagues have commented and asked if they could get one for their phone. Magnetic closure a really good idea and find I can still answer my phone quite quickly. Nice soft orange inner material - a bit like suede. The metal frame holds the phone very securely.
If I'm being picky, I feel a bit of an idiot when the flap covers half my face when I'm calling someone but it's a small price to pay to protect my touch screen. Comes with a screen protector and a little cleaning cloth too.

TeckNet@ Apple iPod Touch 4G 4TH (2010,2011) Generation Leather Case Cover for Apple iPod Touch 4G 4TH (2010,2011) - Black
Offered by TECKNET

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good value, 12 Mar 2010
Bought this for iPod touch my son got for Christmas. Wasn't expecting much but genuinely impressed by this. The leather is nice and doesn't feel plasticky. It comes with a gel type protector as well but you can't really use both at the same time. Case is a really snug fit and all the screen and plug holes can be accessed easily. You can fold it back on itself and secure with the pop snap when you are using it and it will stand up at a 30 degree (roughly!) on it's own. My son is not very careful with his stuff but using this product I am confident he won't damage his iPod.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2010 6:33 PM GMT

Dexter Season 2 [DVD]
Dexter Season 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael C. Hall

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow Burn, 2 Jun 2009
This review is from: Dexter Season 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Absolutely loved the first series. Series 2 however, takes a while to get going. I think I actually recall many episodes without Dexter ever killing the bad guy - not that this is the only reason I watch it! I think the reason that fans of the series love him is that he is the avenging hero, clearing up the trash when the system fails. This is a little more of him wriggling out of increasing tighter spots, looking into his raison d'etre including second thoughts about "the code of Harry" and developing a relationship, albeit a fairly perverse one, with brit chick Lila - complete nutter.

On the cusp of him being exposed and the plot becoming more and more far fetched, the series redeems itself with a rip-roaring finale. It made 4 or 5 mediocre mid-series episodes worth watching for the final pay off.

Hope you enjoy it.

Dexter: Complete Season 1 [DVD]
Dexter: Complete Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael C. Hall

5.0 out of 5 stars Gore-geous, 16 May 2008
Now, I'm not the sort of person who likes "shoot em ups", gangster movies or gratuitous violence, but I loved this series. I joined it about half way through episode 1 and was intrigued. It went straight onto series link and I have watched all the episodes with glee. I particularly like the tongue in cheek opening credits with all the blood references. I appreciate that some would find it far fetched - like how Dex seems to wriggle out of all the tight spots he gets into, but we wouldn't want him caught would we?
If you like the premise of the storyline, try the movie "Frailty" - enjoy........

Page: 1 | 2