Profile for Karen > Reviews

Downton Abbey: A Journey to the Highlands (Christmas Special 2012) [DVD]
Downton Abbey: A Journey to the Highlands (Christmas Special 2012) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hugh Bonneville

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly brilliant., 29 Nov 2013
What can I say that hasn't already been said?
Brilliant, superb - as are all the Downton series'.

I'm a Downton addict.

Bridget Jones's Guide to Life (Comic Relief)
Bridget Jones's Guide to Life (Comic Relief)
by Helen Fielding

3.0 out of 5 stars Just okay., 29 Nov 2013
It's ok, nothing new, just the old Bridget stuff rehashed. And it is wafer thin! What a sell.
I'm only giving it 3 stars because it was for Comic Relief, otherwise I would rate it lower.

Understanding Documents for Genealogy & Local History
Understanding Documents for Genealogy & Local History
by Bruce Durie

4.0 out of 5 stars Could be better laid out, 11 Sep 2013
On the whole the book is quite helpful, particularly for those needing help with Scottish genealogy as I did.
I felt that valuable space was taken up by including the Latin Grammar section, since anyone learning Latin would already have a comprehensive grammar book, and what was in this book is not nearly enough for one learning Latin. Some common Latin words and phrases would suffice, with, perhaps, some vocabulary and the roman numerals.

The most frustrating thing about this book is the lack of chapter headings at the top of each page, so for anyone using it whilst doing some serious genealogical research as I did, has to constantly flick backward and forward throughout the whole book looking for a particular section or paragraph I had read previously. Eventually I pencilled-in the chapter heading at the top of every page!

About Time [Blu-ray]
About Time [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Rachel McAdams

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 11 Sep 2013
This review is from: About Time [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I've just seen this film at the cinema...nice film, nice cast, nice acting, nice storyline. Nice. That's all. Not great, not fantastic, and not 'I can't wait to see it again'.
I was left feeling a little disappointed. Maybe the fault of the media's rave reviews ..."this is Richard Curtis' best film yet" and "Curtis saved his best til last"...which led me to believe this film was going to be right up there with Notting Hill, Love Actually etc. My expectations were high. I wanted that great big rollercoaster ride of emotions which Richard Curtis hands his audience throughout his films, but it didn't happen. Even after the slow start, when the story found its way and got a move on, it never really got as great as it should have or could have.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 3, 2013 11:08 AM BST