Profile for Virago > Reviews

Dvd ~ Uma Thurman
Offered by CP UK And Global LTD
Price: 2.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Dark and understated., 4 Jan 2005
This review is from: Kiss Daddy Goodnight [DVD] (DVD)
I love Steve Buscemi so I bought this film on DVD a while back, he's only in one scene really but great as always! I was pleasantly surprised as I thought it looked a bit dubious from the cover. Briefly it's about a girl (Uma Thurman) who preys on rich men, goes home with them, slips them a tranquilizer and robs them, it is quite sexual and violent and the acting reminded me a bit of Taxi Driver, especially Uma. I'm not sure why as the plot is totally different! It's not like some great fancy Hollywood blockbuster, almost like an indie film but I like that kind of film, sepcial effects often irritate me anyway. Would definitely watch again!

Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture
Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture
by Douglas Coupland
Price: 6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Defines a generation., 4 Jan 2005
When I started reading this book I thought I was going to hate it, with it's footnotes of generation X buzz terms and random billboard-esque slogans like 'the love of meat prevents any real change' and 'use jets while you still can', I hated the fact that there were characters named 'Dag' and 'Tobias' too, all these things made me reluctant to persevere with the reading. But persevere I did and as the book progressed I grew to love Dag, Claire and Andy and their zany catchphrases and cynical stories. I actually became engrossed in their lives and the book became a real page turner, I even laughed at some of the foot notes. By the end of the book though I had a melancholy feeling, this book is witty, modern and unusual and it's colourful language actually inspired me but being of the 'generation X' myself it made me so sad too, I related a lot to the empty feeling Coupland often refers to and I felt it really spoke to me about my mid-twenties generation and made a lot of, quite depressing, sense.
A really good thing about this book from a readers point of view is that it has very short chapters of about 4 pages on average. I'm quite a fidgety reader and tend to pick up and put down a book several times during a day rather than sitting and reading for several hours at a time, the short chapter length helped me to do this without losing the thread of the story. I would actually now like to read more of Coupland's work, he has quite a unique style and it took me a while to get into his rhythm but now I have I'd like to experience more of it! All in all a very enjoyable yarn!

500 Stickers Book: Red (500 stickers books)
500 Stickers Book: Red (500 stickers books)
by VARIOUS

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a book of red stickers!, 24 Nov 2003
As there was no description of this book on here I presumed this was a book of red stickers! It turned out to be a red book full of various cartoon-y stickers which I thought was pretty cute anyway and I shall be putting to use decorating some of my plain wrapped Xmas presents this year! The stickers are all between 5mm and 2cm squared in size. They depict all different kinds of creatures and symbols. I am in my early twenties and I appreciate this but it is definitley aimed at small children really!

Alice In Chains: Music Bank - The Videos [DVD]
Alice In Chains: Music Bank - The Videos [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alice in Chains
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 14 May 2003
I have been an Alice in Chains fan for years but only just got around to buying this DVD. I absolutely love it. I've never had MTV so even though I've seen most of the videos before at friends houses etc it's brilliant to have them at my disposal to watch whenever I feel the need! Even if you do have MTV there is a video for 'Get born again' the last song they put out before Layne died and loads of home-video type footage of the band over the years in between each of the vids. If you're a fan of the band the extra footage makes the DVD well worth buying.
In addition to that there is a 10 minute 'documentary' made about the band just prior to them signing their record deal which shows them living together in a grubby, student-type house and talking about why they deserve a deal and how much the band and music in general means to them. This is worth the DVD price even if only to see Jerry's glam rock hair!
If you are looking for a visual and musical introduction to Alice in Chains and you don't know a lot about the band this is also an excellent DVD to buy. The videos span their career from their first album through their catalogue including their MTV unplugged performance and the last video they made as a band. You couldn't really get a better introduction to the music and attitude of AIC than this.
I honestly can't say enough good things about 'Music Bank- The videos'. Just buy it!!

Airheads [1994] [DVD]
Airheads [1994] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Brendan Fraser
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT
Price: 3.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!!!, 22 April 2003
This review is from: Airheads [1994] [DVD] (DVD)
The cast is brilliant, Steve Buscemi, Adam Sandler, Brendan Fraser, the guy from 'Spinal Tap' whose name escapes me! The story is nothing new but no less entertaining for it. The jokes are still funny after you've watched the movie 10 times, I just love this film!!! If you're a fan of rock music of any description and have a sense of humour I can't really see any reason that you wont love it too. Adam Sandler and Steve Buscemi are on especially good form in this wacky, outrageous rock n roll adventure. Go buy it now!!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 17, 2009 12:01 AM BST

Trees Lounge [DVD] [1997]
Trees Lounge [DVD] [1997]
Dvd ~ Steve Buscemi

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky, funny and starring two future gems., 22 April 2003
This review is from: Trees Lounge [DVD] [1997] (DVD)
This is one of my favourite Steve Buscemi films, I am a huge fan of his and it's not often he is even in a lead role so this is already special purely for that reason! It also stars a relatively young Chloe Sevigny who is her usual kitsch, slightly sinister self. The plot is quite disturbing at times and if you're a fan of mainstream Hollwood blockbusters this may not be your cup of tea but if you're a fan of Steve or Chloe then chances are you'll enjoy of this quirky, creepy, clever movie.

Alice In Chains: Live - Facelift [VHS]
Alice In Chains: Live - Facelift [VHS]
VHS

5.0 out of 5 stars Alice Unchained, 19 Jan 2003
Its hard to believe that this footage is nearly 13 years old! Alice in Chains are better know for being a folky, acoustic 'grunge' band of the mid-late nineties than what they are here, a classic hard rock band, but to hardcore fans this video is a real treasure.
Filmed at the Moore Theatre, Seattle in late 1990 the performances include Man in the box, Real thing, Love hate love, Sea of sorrow and Bleed the freak. Unusually it's all filmed in black and white and the band look great, full of youthful enthusiasm and energy which is a stark contrast to their Unplugged session for MTV 6 years later. The video also includes the promo videos for We Die Young, Man in the Box and Sea of Sorrow (not listed on the box) which are obviously dated but still a pleasure to watch and very nostalgic.
The only complaint I'd have about this video is that its not long enough. There is no backstage footage or interviews, only the live songs and videos and it runs for just approx 40 mins. I still highly recommend it to any fans of AIC or rock music in general. The death of Layne Staley was a huge loss to the music industry and this shows him and the rest of the band on classic form and enjoying their performance. Go buy it!!!

The Song of Leonard Cohen: Including the Unpublished Bob Dylan Diaries: Portrait of a Poet, a Friendship and a Film
by Bob Dylan

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a biography!, 14 Jan 2003
I'm quite a fan of Leonard Cohen, especially his lyrics so this book was great for me. When I first began to read it I found it a little difficult to get into, the way it is written is slightly unusual but once I became accustomed to it I finished the book in under a week.
Don't buy this book if you're looking for a classic biography of Cohen, it's not. Buy it if you want an insight into the man, his music and his life but written from a very different angle. Harry Rasky is a friend of Leonard's and he made a movie about him which basically entailed following him around on tour etc. and videotaping short interviews and clips of his everyday life. The book is an account of the making of the film and is interspersed with lyrics where appropriate to illustrate Harry's questioning. In it Leonard talks about how he feels about various subjects but mainly his music and his life.
I really enjoyed reading this book, there are some funny, heartwarming and insightful moments and it kept my attention easily. I've since tried to find the film in question but unfortunately to no avail. I have a feeling that much of what was in the film is right here in the book though. In conclusion, an unusual but entertaining read about an unusual and entertaining man!!

Atomic Cocktails
Atomic Cocktails
by K. Brooks

2.0 out of 5 stars A slight case of image over substance?, 14 Jan 2003
This review is from: Atomic Cocktails (Hardcover)
I bought several cocktail books in preparation for my huge Xmas cocktail party and this was the one I used the least I'm afraid. Don't get me wrong, this book isn't terrible, it's beautifully presented and very 'cool' but there aren't many recipes in it and I felt that the pictures and presentation were what the book was about rather than actual content.

Miss Charming's Book of Crazy Cocktails
Miss Charming's Book of Crazy Cocktails
by Cheryl Charming

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, very different!!!, 14 Jan 2003
If you're a fan of cocktails but are looking for something to push the boundaries a little then this could be the book for you. I was sick of reading about Martinis, Pina Coladas, Cosmopolitans and Black Russians, even though they are all delicious, and I was looking for a book that would tell me something I didn't already know and make my cocktail parties a little different. I found all that and more in this cute and quirky little book!
Cheryl Charming has been bartending for more than 20 years and her experience and imagination are very apparent here. These are new cocktails and modernised versions of the old favourites, some use some hard-to-find ingredients but most can be substituted easily. For example, Cheryl advises use of 'Godiva white chocolate liqueur' in several recipes and I couldn't find it anywhere in my area so I substituted Mozart white chocolate liqueur.
The names are one of the most entertaining parts of this manual, 'Willy Wonka whammy', 'Jailhouse rock lobster', 'Gin Rickey Martin' and, er, 'Liquid panty remover' to name but a few! It also includes a glossary of liqueur flavours, a section on cocktails seen in the movies, a section on hot alcoholic drinks and a section on punch ideas for large parties. The only complaint I'd have about this book is that there are no pictures and the entire book is in black and white. Trust me though, if you're serious about making crazy cocktails and not just being one of the crowd you'll love this book despite it's lack of illustration! It is so well written anyway that your imagination is fired up just by reading it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3