Profile for Virago > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
No Logo
No Logo

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE, 20 Feb 2014
This review is from: No Logo (MP3 Download)
Great track, great video [...] great b-side!

Check out Obsessive Compulsive if you are looking for a true alternative to the mainstream.

Spellbound [DVD] [2003] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Spellbound [DVD] [2003] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Angela Arenivar

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute and clever, 31 Jan 2005
This is a documentary film that follows the lives of 8 American high school kids (aged 11-15?) as they pit their wits against other clever-clogs in the national Spelling Bee. I had heard good things about this film although the subject matter didn't exactly appeal to me but I thought I'd check it out. I found it really enjoyable, funny and educational, heheh, I couldn't have pronounced many of the words they were given, let alone spell them! I found myself rooting for certain characters and was just thoroughly entertained the whole time.

The Boondock Saints [DVD]
The Boondock Saints [DVD]
Dvd ~ Willem Dafoe
Offered by WorldCinema

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 31 Jan 2005
This review is from: The Boondock Saints [DVD] (DVD)
This is definitely the best film I've watched this year. It's a violent story of two Irish lads in New York who take it upon themselves to methodically rid the city of it's biggest and most dangerous criminals. Fantastically acted, filmed, written, Willem Dafoe as the head cop battling a moral dilemma (are these men saints or sinners?!) is phenomenal. I can't say enough good things about this movie. Watch it now!!!

French Women Don't Get Fat: The Secret of Eating for Pleasure
French Women Don't Get Fat: The Secret of Eating for Pleasure
by Mireille Guiliano

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious!, 31 Jan 2005
I read this in about a day because it was so deliciously written that I just sailed through it. A sort of biography/recipe book/weight loss plan but more than that too. I liked the title and am interested in nutrition and eating right, but I love cheese, and bread, so of course I wanted the answer to the title's paradox. I'm not convinced that it's as easy as the author makes out to be your ideal weight without depriving yourself whatsoever in the food stakes but I picked up lots of handy tips to try anyway. I'd recommend reading this book even if you're not really bothered about your weight because it's a lovely little story and beautifully written. There are recipes dotted about amidst the pages, some of which I mean to try as soon as possible, others didn't appeal to me that much but they are all really simple and straightforward. Definitely more of chick's book but would appeal to women of any age.

LifeSmart: Get the Facts, Follow the Steps, Feel the Difference
LifeSmart: Get the Facts, Follow the Steps, Feel the Difference
by Carole Caplin

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational and educational., 31 Jan 2005
I've been slowly reading this book since the beginning of January as it is a lifestyle manual written by a very experienced Nutritionist and Health 'Guru' so I wanted to slowly absorb the ideas and lessons rather than blasting through it. I'm very interested in health and nutrition and especially ways to change my lifestyle to benefit my wellbeing so I found this book extremely interesting and eye-opening. It Is far less concerned with diet than with alternative therapies, exercise and reduction of toxins in our systems. I half expected it to be yet another faddy diet book but actually found it to be a highly informative 'encyclopedia' almost of knowledge about how to basically look after yourself better!
The nasty chemicals and toxins that I already knew to avoid by eating organic are revealed to be also found in less obvious places such as dental amalgams and even toiletries. It made me rethink my use of commercial products and I am definitely going to look into completely natural alternatives to my skincare products, household cleaners etc.
I also found this book to be very interesting as regards homeopathic medicine, alternative therapies and vitamins. I have suffered from depression, anxiety and panic attacks for most of my adult life, have tried therapy and am currently taking anti-depressants (which are very helpful!) but I am now going to have a chat with my doctor about possible complimentary therapies I could try such as ART, acupressure and the like. There is a wealth of information in the book and I found it hard to take it all in at times but I would definitely recommend it as a good read to anyone interested in looking after themselves better in this age of fast food and pharmaceutical excess.

Love All the People: Letters, Lyrics, Routines
Love All the People: Letters, Lyrics, Routines
by John Lahr

4.0 out of 5 stars Repetetive but worth it, 31 Jan 2005
I love Bill Hicks anyway so this was a winner from the start, this book really made me laugh but, surprisingly perhaps, it also opened my mind to some new ideas and reaffirmed some of my political and personal beliefs about life, the universe and everything. The only thing that made the book less amazing was the repetition, a lot of the jokes are repeated throughout, this is because these are actual transcripts of Bill's shows over the years and some of them are from the same tour so he is bound to repeat himself. Despite that I really loved this book and would read it again tomorrow! And again, and again!!!

Wilde [DVD] [1997]
Wilde [DVD] [1997]
Dvd ~ Stephen Fry
Offered by WorldCinema

4.0 out of 5 stars Wild!, 10 Jan 2005
This review is from: Wilde [DVD] [1997] (DVD)
This is a bipoic of the great Oscar Wilde starring the wonderful Stephen Fry as the man himself amongst a star studded cast including Vanessa Redgrave and Jude Law. A thoroughly moving film about a truly inspirational man, Stephen Fry is perfect as Oscar but I would have liked even more of Wilde's gems of wisdom to have been included. Not for anyone who is easily offended by same sex love scenes!

Emily's Nightmare Journal
Emily's Nightmare Journal
by Cosmic Debris

5.0 out of 5 stars More great stuff from Emily Strange!, 8 Jan 2005
This is a 'blank' book for writing in, all the pages are grey/black with faint pictures of 'evil' things, Emily herself and her cats in the style which Emily fans will know and love.
I bought it to write my poems and lyrics in, it comes with a silver gel pen so that your writings are readable on the black pages and I found it an inspirational place to write my ideas and liked the unusual way they looked once I had written them. The book could be used for any number of things from, as the title suggests, accounts of your nightmares in written form to keeping a journal or even shopping lists and the like, whatever takes your fancy!
The book is about the size of a small filofax and is protected by a strong, pvc covered, hard back with a press stud closing.
I would definitley buy this book again when the pages run out and I think it would make a loveley present for an Emily fan or writer, young or old.

Big Fish
Big Fish
by Daniel Wallace

4.0 out of 5 stars A tale of mythic proportions, 8 Jan 2005
This review is from: Big Fish (Paperback)
I bought this because I saw the film and loved it. The book is obviously very similar to the film but as is usual with books made into films has a lot of detail, which sets it apart and in some ways makes it more enjoyable. The book is a story told by a man about his father's life and death, his father is a man who lived his life telling stories and jokes, some of them true, some of them untrue, some of them debateable! It's a beautiful story, funny, sad, heart-warming and very, very creative. I read the book easily in a couple of days and I loved it! Big Fish, to me, is like a fairy tale but for adults.

Whatever Happened To Harold Smith? [VHS] [2000]
Whatever Happened To Harold Smith? [VHS] [2000]
VHS

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 4 Jan 2005
A really lovely British film ,set in Sheffield about a young man and his father, the young man is going through the trials and tribulations of first love and identity crises whilst his dad's ability to use his mind to move things, stop watches and read minds is getting him into all sorts of trouble. Great film would definitely watch again!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3