Profile for I. GRAINGER-ALLEN > Reviews

Content by I. GRAINGER-ALLEN

I. GRAINGER-ALLEN "Isga1960" (devon, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Wolfshead (Dodo Press)
Wolfshead (Dodo Press)
by Robert E. Howard
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just any old barbarian in this - the original St George if you look hard enough, 7 July 2014
This review is from: Wolfshead (Dodo Press) (Paperback)
I got my copy of this collection of short stories a long time again. That copy was very second hand. In an american review of this version it is suggested that the stories are: - The Black Stone ; The Valley of the Worm ; Wolfshead ; The Fire of Asshurbanipal ; The House of Arabu ;and The Horror from the Mound.
However my copy has a final story The Cairn on the Headland and I am sure that there is at least one further story set in Africa.

However, This collection has the only story in it that I can remember feeling a true sense of horror and fear. I was reading it in the middle of the day in broad sunlight. Which of these short stories was it? the one whose title I cannot remember. I wonder if that is some defense mechanism. The first and last stories also made a bit of an impact.

So I am bound to recommend this as an inspiring piece of writing. Just remember to take a piece of holly with you when you go on archaeology trips. (Oh and a stake, some silver, and a bag of sand from a witch.. any of them could come in handy)

The Fantastic Art of Frank Frazetta: v. 1
The Fantastic Art of Frank Frazetta: v. 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Frank 1 is number 1, 6 July 2014
All the Frank Frazetta books have been great. If you don't like fantasy Art then read no more.

If you do then this is the first of the collections of some of the art from one of the best - if not the most influential - artist for book covers relating to fantasy.

Fantastic Art of Frank Frazetta: v. 4
Fantastic Art of Frank Frazetta: v. 4

5.0 out of 5 stars Frank 4 is still number 1, 6 July 2014

If you do then this is another collection of some of the art of one of the best - if not the most influential artist for book covers relating to fantasy.

Fantastic Art of Frank Frazetta: v. 2
Fantastic Art of Frank Frazetta: v. 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Frank 2 is joint top, 6 July 2014

If you do then this is another collection of some of the art from one of the best - if not the most influential - artist for book covers relating to fantasy.

Western Film Themes
Western Film Themes
Price: 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars If you want..., 6 July 2014
This review is from: Western Film Themes (Audio CD)
If you want inspiring music to survive a traffic queue/jam. If you want to get over a bad day at work. If you want to ignore a downpour when you really could do a BBQ.

Try listening to the first CD of this.

The second one has more TV themes and is a bit wetter than the main line film themes.

AND it's called FILM themes not movie themes so well done!

Withnail and I [DVD]
Withnail and I [DVD]
Dvd ~ Richard E. Grant
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 5.35

4.0 out of 5 stars Sad case losers come out almost winners, 6 July 2014
This review is from: Withnail and I [DVD] (DVD)
Great DVD. Enjoyed the portrayal of sad case losers. I must remember to rub out my own performance as a pathetic waste of humanities time when I was 'at college'...

The History of Middle-earth: Pt. 3
The History of Middle-earth: Pt. 3
by J. R. R. Tolkien
Price: 43.20

5.0 out of 5 stars This should satisfy the Middle Earth Hunger..., 6 July 2014
I got this collection of three books this year and have read all but one page of them.

In part three there was a printing error. This was replicated in the identical place in the replacement copy and so I have had to return the book(s).

I found the information absorbing and as complete as anyone could wish. The most useful & enjoyable part was the second one (stories about versions of LOTR). I would be spoiling it if I put some of the variations I discovered. If you have read John Rateliff's The History of the Hobbit then the revelations about e.g. Gollum or who Gandalf was are nothing compared to some of the variations explored (& rejected) concerning the Fellowship. The story would have been with such a different feel!! Peter Jackson appears a purist compared to some of these.

So if you are intrigued: you will have to get these books. They are not cheap and I have still not got the full set as I am waiting for a clean copy to come back to me. HOWEVER since I did not get them through Amazon, I cannot complain about Amazon or any of its providers. It is the publisher themselves who have got this mistake to correct and to either refund me or to get me a clean & complete copy for Part 3 (this one) Perhaps if you buy this you would like to check the pages corresponding to book XII The peoples of Middle Earth Page 344... I hope it is in perfect condition for you.

The Magnificent Seven/The Big Country/The Long Riders [DVD]
The Magnificent Seven/The Big Country/The Long Riders [DVD]
Dvd ~ Yul Brynner
Price: 9.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Three Big & Magnificent films, 25 Mar 2014
Possibly the theme music alone would make this DVD collection worth the price. However, westerns are there to inspire you and these do. Don't you think?

The Long Riders is the least of the three films but interesting still.

Ultimate Navigation Manual
Ultimate Navigation Manual
by Lyle F. Brotherton
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars My next step, 25 Mar 2014
This is a great book. There's sensible stuff everywhere.
The writing style is down-to-earth and it mixes detailed tips with good simple ideas in a way that I find encouraging. Tiny anecdotes bring the honesty of experience in and make the theory so much more tangible.

This is an inspiring book - in the true sense that it inspires you to try out the methods suggested. It makes you think about your own practice and to aim to improve or to expand on what you can do.

Not a book for an armchair enthusiast - because you won't remain one!

Baron Banana Ketchup 155 g (Pack of 6)
Baron Banana Ketchup 155 g (Pack of 6)
Price: 8.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Clumpier than mushy peas, 31 Jan 2014
This is not too highly flavoured but interesting variety of table sauce. However start pouring it about an hour before the meal is served as it comes out very slowly.

Good with poppadoms, handy to cool down chilli overdoses, outrageous colour, no real taste of bananas.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5